Kill Your Completion ∞

20 minutes ago, ghostly-legend said:

I am planning to start LOTR war in the north tomorrow

Just butting in quick in case you aren't aware - that game has some gamebreaking bugs. Make sure you have a separate and/or backed up save before you go to Mirkwood, as it's by far the worst offender - I think the last stop's when you're in a dwarven city?

In general, a quick look to make sure all your quests are still on your list when you load in can save you some headaches, but isn't as big a deal as long as the main quest doesn't vanish on you.

You may not hit it, but you have to restart or find someone earlier in the game that can carry you past it if you do.  :dunno:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DamagingRob said:
  Hide contents

The little shits will lose interest and stop following you every so often.. Care to join me in my irrational hatred of video game chickens? :awesome:

Spoiler

:hmm: it's still odd though, as I ended up walking around the school area looking for them, which is where I was when the poor excuses for a bird disappeared. If somehow they stopped following while the area was covered by foliage, well then there would've been no chance for me to ever find them fecking things again lol.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 1:11 AM, dmland12 said:

Game #5: Cities: Skylines

L4b6f14.png

Trophies: 21/69 (20%)

Completion: 91.87% (-1.07%, -2.89% from start)

Cities: Skylines is a city-building game that draws heavy inspiration from the SimCity series of games.  I played a lot of SimCity 2000 and SimCity 3000 a long time ago, and this game has the same feel (and many similar mechanics) as those games.  I'd say this game managed to stay true to the formula that SimCity laid out two decades ago, as well as improve on it.  Overall, I really liked it.  It was familiar and brought back some nostalgia.  :)

If you haven't played SimCity (and there's a good chance of this since the series has been mostly dead since SimCity 4 was released in 2003), the basics aren't hard to grasp.  You start out with an empty map and you'll need to build roads and decide where the buildings will be built.  Instead of just placing down most buildings individually, you place a "zone" down where you want them to be built.  Then, after a while the buildings will be constructed.  You need to make sure that there's power and water, as well as city services (hospitals, schools, police, fire stations, etc.).  It gets a little more complicated than that, and you do have a budget you'll need to watch.  But, since you start off small and unlock additional buildings and options as you grow, I don't think it's that steep of a learning curve.

There's a lot of flexibility in how you design your city and you can get in fairly close and look at the details of an individual building, follow a fire truck responding to a fire, or watch people going about their daily business.  It's nice to just look around and see how things are going sometimes.  But, thankfully, you don't really have the option or the need to micromanage things at that level.

Have a quick look around my city in the video below for an idea of what this game looks like and what you can build.  I was pretty happy with how my city turned out so far.

Man, you really aged me. :(

I remember grabbing SimCity 2000 when it was released. A quick internet search tells me that was 25 years ago!

That sounds like a long time ago but believe me, in my head, that seems like yesterday.

Anyways, thanks for the review and the video! I can't believe how good the game looks and I like the nighttime aspect. I'll definitely grab this at some point. 

How easy is it to balance the budget? That was one problem with the original SimCity game was sitting around waiting for funds to collect. Until you discovered the cheat..,:) BTW, how did easter eggs get out pre-internet? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, xFalionx said:

Game #4: Child of Light (PS3)

1st day

Total playtime: about 1 hour

L1f82b4.png

The art is beautiful and resembles a world drawn in water colors and the soundtrack also seems pretty good so far. By now I've just beaten the first boss and I definitely like the gameplay and the story so far. 

I really liked the art style as well as the music. Couldn't stand the combat though.

On a different note. I ended up wrapping up Burning Blood and got the plat.

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PerryToxteth said:

Man, you really aged me. :(

I remember grabbing SimCity 2000 when it was released. A quick internet search tells me that was 25 years ago!

That sounds like a long time ago but believe me, in my head, that seems like yesterday.

Anyways, thanks for the review and the video! I can't believe how good the game looks and I like the nighttime aspect. I'll definitely grab this at some point. 

How easy is it to balance the budget? That was one problem with the original SimCity game was sitting around waiting for funds to collect. Until you discovered the cheat..,:) BTW, how did easter eggs get out pre-internet? 

Sorry about that.  Though, I know what you mean!  ;)

Ah, yeah, the cheat codes.  I didn't really use them much, but still knew about them.  In my case, I had a guide book for the game (this one: https://www.amazon.com/Official-Simcity-Planning-Commission-Handbook/dp/0078819504 or this one: https://www.amazon.com/SimCity-2000-Politics-Planning-Revised/dp/0761500758, I'm not sure) and it probably had all of that in it too.  So, I guess the cheats probably spread from that plus word of mouth.

The budget is overall easier to manage in Cities: Skylines.  At the beginning, you'll want to skimp on your city services (police, schools, etc.), if you don't want to wait so long for more money.  But, after you get past that, the money starts flowing in quickly.  If you have experience in SimCity games, it shouldn't be too difficult.  The police and fire stations are also not so all-or-nothing like in SimCity.  So, you can get away with having less coverage without much trouble.  There's also some other nice things that make it easier from a money perspective: you get partial refunds from bulldozing, and placing down zones is free.  So, overall, it's quicker to build up your city than the old SimCity games, if you have a general idea of what to do.

I really liked the look at night too.  It is a bit harder to see what you're doing, though, as far as placing roads and zones.  There's an option to have day-only, night-only, or a day-night cycle.  It looks like you can change this whenever you want, though I haven't actually tried.  I just went with the default: the cycle.

One thing I should have mentioned in my review: there's currently one trophy that's buggy: Frenetic Player.  They seem to still be updating the game: it looks like this broke on the last update.  So, hopefully, they'll fix it in the next.

Edited by dmland12
  • Like 3

L8aa0bd.png

Accounting+

VR bonus game #1

Total playtime: around two and a half hours

Let my brother-in-law play Accounting+ (and Statik) yesterday, and turns out there are new trophies for Accounting+.

Did them all today, the trophy names make it clear what needs to be done (one trick shot in almost each regular level while going in), it's not a new level or something like that. It was fun though, and I still recommend this game to anyone who will listen. It's funny, it's stupid, and it's funny because it's stupid. I'll buy Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality if it's ever a fitting price (it's from the same people).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

My planning for the day

So, my original plan yesterday was get through two hours of additional Assassin's Creed Odyssey missions first, then go on to another KYC game. However, my brother-in-law suddenly dropped by and what ended up happening was I made him play two VR games, Accounting+ and then Statik, and by the time he was gone (after dinner) my wife wanted to watch one of those corny Netflix christmas movies, so I galantly granted her the screen and went on to play Pokémon myself.

Today, I should have most of the day for myself, and I've been thinking about what to play. Well, I know what I'll start with:

L17ab86.png

I know we're only supposed to play games we obtained before the start of the event (I remember that being one of the earlier rolules, anyway), but I'm substituting Robinson: The Journey with Astro Bot. Robinson has a very high risk of VR-sickness so I'm not willing to play it right now.

I loved the idea of Astro Bot when I found out about it as an upcoming game - it's a whole game based on the platforming section of The Playroom VR, which I thought was fantastic. But somehow, I forgot to buy it until the Black Friday sale showed it to me again.

Lafecec.png

Lad8fb9.png

Astro Bot is VR so I doubt I'll play it for more than an hour, two tops. After that, I want to move on to a non-VR game, and the two I have still planned for this event are Valley and SOMA. Both were bought at the same time, about half a year ago, and I checked out the first minutes (along with another bought game, to see which I'd play first, and that other game won, but I don't recall which game that was) but didn't obtain any trophies yet.

So, anyone want to recommend either? I'm leaning towards Valley since HowLongToBeat says I could complete the story in one sitting today, but I still might go for SOMA instead.

Really depends. Soma is a story heavy game that has a somewhat slow pace to it. If you want to get the most out of it as you'll have to explore to get a bit of backstory on other characters. Valley is the literally fast-paced exploration platformer sort of deal, that has a novelty factor to it, which imo wears off relatively quickly until you get a new suit upgrade. If you have a good amount of free time then Soma. Valley if you see yourself with little time to play as it's focus is on the gimmick while the story is kind of meh.

• Like 1