Kill Your Completion ∞

Unfortunately I have had some things to take care of personally and thus I haven't really been able to play much at all.

I think I'm only going to play Dokuro for about 30 minutes tonight at midnight (Pacific Standard Time) and I'm going to give out my quick thoughts about the game, even though technically I should of started much sooner.

Thankfully we only need to put in at least 3 hours for each game in this event so there's plenty of leeway for me to have.

1 hour ago, Metal Slime King said:

Game #1 - Bloodborne

I got about an hour in on Bloodborne today and probably not surprisingly I didn't make a lot of progress. Well I did make my character. That took awhile, tooling around with the various customization options and then died to the first enemy because I didn't have a weapon. Welcome to Soulsborne. I'm actually a little surprised there wasn't a gotcha first trophy for first death. I know it's the appeal to this sort of game that they just drop you in with minimal explanation of the mechanics or story and you're just supposed to figure it out. I will admit I felt better once I looked up a couple of things online, like how to repair weapons and level up.

It's a very pretty game that doesn't make my regular PS4 go into hyperdrive while I'm exploring fantasy land Victoria era city. I'm sure I'll sink some more time into it, killing the same sequence of enemies over and over while making a bit of progress each run and maybe by the end of 5 days I'll have earned a trophy. Wish me luck. At least I spelled it properly this time. :awesome:

Good luck! There are a few trophies in the first hours of the game. I expect you'll be able to beat the first boss in less than two hours of playtime, maybe three.

5 hours ago, Dethfuse said:

L8bb7bd.png

Apparently some of the trophies are glitched so the platinum is currently unobtainable and the developers seem to not care at all. I'll probably still play it some more in the future when I want something relaxing to play. 

In the end I managed to get 4 bronze trophies and 1 gold trophy.

Funny that the devs had enough time to pump out two dlc's right away, but not enough time to fix a platinum-breaking glitch.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SyIaris said:

spacer.png

Black Mirror

Game #1 (1st-3rd)

~3:42 hours played

:platinum: 22/22 (+0.12%)

Well, there goes the game that I really should have left for a busy point - couldn't resist starting my "horror" game right after Halloween.

Very short/easy plat in the current Playstation humble bundle. I was seeing time estimates anywhere from 3-15 hours, came in on the low side. :dunno:

When I see Horror/Adventure, I generally expect a first-person walking sim with something stalking you, and plenty of shrieky jumpscares to go with it. I'm happy to say that's not the case here, as it strikes me as more of a telltale-style paranormal mystery.

Minor warning: hitting the PS button does not in any way pause the game.

There are quite a few missable trophies to either keep an eye on as you go, or make saves at the start of each chapter to easily go back for them.

Looking around now that I've finished it, it's not exactly doing well anywhere, review-wise. I can understand why; the load times are awful (and this is apparently after a patch that improved them) considering how often you hit them, the QTEs are ridiculously easy, the character models aren't exactly impressive, etc.

But I really enjoyed it and had to force myself to stop last night. The story's definitely the game's strongest point, and it had me pretty hooked by the end of chapter two. Enough so that I now have the original trilogy on my Steam wishlist, with the suspicion that they were just missed in the sale...

The puzzles seem to be fairly well designed once you get around the fussy controls - the only time the latter is more than a minor annoyance is during short semi-timed segments once per chapter.

Various scenes look pretty good when you can actually see them, which is mainly the fault of a slow AI carrying your light. By the point it becomes that bad, you probably have a decent idea of where things are anyway. Characters seem to be somewhere around early 3D Telltale games, sans cell shading. Nothing I found particularly distracting.

Background music was really nice when I noticed it, and the voice acting was usually good. Oddly, the main character seemed to be the only one that dipped into "bad" territory a few times. The lipsync is so far off I can only assume it was created in another language first. Was a bit distracting early on.

Went into it knowing absolutely nothing about the game and was pleasantly surprised. Always love when that happens.  ^_^

Pretty much sums up my view on the game. Music and voice acting were great, while the gameplay was a tad clunky. The visuals are a mixed bag though, whenever the camera focuses on a character's face it's quite alright, but if you look at them from farther away it's not that pretty anymore. I also thought that it was an enjoyable game overall though.

57 minutes ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Pretty much sums up my view on the game. Music and voice acting were great, while the gameplay was a tad clunky. The visuals are a mixed bag though, whenever the camera focuses on a character's face it's quite alright, but if you look at them from farther away it's not that pretty anymore. I also thought that it was an enjoyable game overall though.

True, the details on character faces definitely dropped off pretty quick as you moved away. Excellent aging treatment for the older ones.  :P

6 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

True, the details on character faces definitely dropped off pretty quick as you moved away. Excellent aging treatment for the older ones.  :P

Not sure how well that would go over in a conversation though. "Let's have a chat, but you need to kind of faceplant into me, otherwise you might not recognize me." xD .

Day 2:

Nothing happened. I tried to hop into Dark Cloud 2 right now but I forgot to heal my Ridepod... and I wanted to get started on my personal quest to get 50% trophy completion for every Kingdom Hearts game I owned. Sorry, guys, I failed today and I'll try to make it up tomorrow. I was busy trying to earn LEGO Marvel Superheroes trophies that I didn't see the time go. :(

3 hours ago, Kevvik said:

~snip~

I didn’t like Full Frontal Assault all that much. 

It feels far too cumbersome constantly having to look after both sides of your base. If you don’t get used to defending too well you are in for a rough experience. 

I did the entire game solo, beating the Insomniac times wasn’t bad once you knew what to do. 

But I realized this game was pretty much done on a budget just like Into the Nexus which came after. Thankfully the Ratchet and Clank reboot that came in 2016 is a much better game, and the best game since A Crack in Time in 2009. 

Having a spoiled nerdy brat as the villain in the game, and the whole tower defense thing just doesn’t suit the charm of the rest of the series. 

For some reason they felt traveling X number of miles for a gold trophy was a good idea. Ended up having to use the rubber band trick, and it still took me 3 - 4 hours to get after I gotten all the other trophies.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, SolarCat02 said:

Game 1: Aven Colony

So I have spent two days with this game so far, and that might be it for me for this one at the moment as I have been staying up way too late to play it. 

I bought this on sale because it looked like a cross between a browser space game I like plus Sim City. And essentially it is, right down to the frustrating micromanagement of building things and making sure you have enough hospitals and police stations and transportation methods... But it's even more micromanaging than that. 

There are these repeated attacks on your colony as well. Ice storms are the annoying one because even with defenses built against them they still damage your buildings quite frequently and you need to repair each building individually. The buildings also get regular wear and tear so they will always be needing repairs. There are also spores that attach to your buildings, but you can build drones to take care of that automatically. You need manufacturing of vaccines to protect against the plague and air scrubbers to keep the air clean and food and water to keep everyone well fed and places to live and methods of entertainment to keep them happy. 

You also need to essentially mine your own money because you don't earn it the more colonists you have. You can build mines and then concert some of those resources to the currency but the mines run out so you also need farms to grow a substance that can be chemically altered into a different substance that can be slowly converted into the currency. 

That same currency is used to build buildings but also repair them so you need to generate a lot of it.

Oh,amd did I mention that you generate less electricity and food during the winter time, but your consumption requirements don't change? 

And all the while the game is innundating you with tons of alerts about how immigrants have arrived and this building broke and that mine ran out of resources and you don't have enough power and you ran out of raw materials so your manufacturing plant for xyz shut down and your research project finished and you don't have enough power so some buildings shut down and the vote to see if you stay governor is coming up and here's the changes you need to make and Oops you didn't get to check all of them before they scrolled off your list too bad! And then the occasional voice dialog of the botanist who just sent a picture of his butt to the whole colony or whatever. 

If you like micromanagement and being inundated by so many alerts you just start ignoring all of them and hoping you didn't miss anything important, this is the game for you! Otherwise you may want to reconsider. Haha! 

I’ve been waiting a long time for a SimCity like game to finally make it on a PlayStation console, but for many years I haven’t found anything that really catered to that genre or has shown micromanagement. 

Simcity 4 will always be a game I cherish because I played it during high school and thought at the time it was simply amazing in what it did. 

I think Tropico 5 and Port Royale are two other Sim City esque games but I don’t know anything about them.

Just now, Spaz said:

I’ve been waiting a long time for a SimCity like game to finally make it on a PlayStation console, but for many years I haven’t found anything that really catered to that genre or has shown micromanagement. 

Simcity 4 will always be a game I cherish because I played it during high school and thought at the time it was simply amazing in what it did. 

I think Tropico 5 and Port Royale are two other Sim City esque games but I don’t know anything about them.

I don't know about Tropico but I would not consider Port Royale to be in the same vein as Sim City. It does have some elements but you can automate so much of it. The towns in Port Royale do have a space limit and since you can't delete the buildings you are done once it's filled so make sure you balance housing and the factories and farms you want. You can go broke easily if you don't set up decent trade routes, too, but those are easy to do if you pay attention and are easily automated as well.

Once you get it set up you can leave the game to play itself. You don't have to micromanage anything, although you can if you want to. The colonists also do not change their opinion of you based upon what you build, just what goods you sell to the colony (obviously selling what they need gains you approval plus the best profits), and whether or not you have engaged in privateering against them or an Ally, or any sort of piracy at all. 

If you want an easy ultra rare platinum, or a relaxing sea faring game, Port Royale is great! But it is not Sim City, nor is it trying to be. 

7 hours ago, Kevvik said:

This is not my usual kind of game and...it still isn't. The combat is Ratchet & Clank style which is enjoyable. The first level is not very big and the gameplay is serviceable but outside of the cutscenes, the charm of R&C just feels missing. Add in 2 crashes requiring hard resets (though it saved my progress, go figure) and it doesn't feel particularly polished. I did the online trophies which are basically defend your area longer than your opponent. These did nothing for me either.  I'll play through for the plat but would rather play some real Ratchet & Clank rather than this.

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

I didn’t like Full Frontal Assault all that much. 

It feels far too cumbersome constantly having to look after both sides of your base. If you don’t get used to defending too well you are in for a rough experience.

But I realized this game was pretty much done on a budget just like Into the Nexus which came after. Thankfully the Ratchet and Clank reboot that came in 2016 is a much better game, and the best game since A Crack in Time in 2009.

I wasn't a fan either, actually I really disliked it xD. I think it resembles more a game mode that should've have been part of one of the other R&C games, but instead was released separately.

6 hours ago, Spaz said:

Tropico 5 is a great game! Thankfully, it's nowhere near what Aven Colony sounds like. In Tropico, you are given a task, and have a certain amount of time to accomplish it. The micromanaging is not very burdensome, and you have plenty of time to explore, design, and upgrade your cities. I found it was easiest to not do the required task asap, but invest some time into building your city/colony so it would function more efficiently in later boards.

The only odd thing is that after completing one scenario, you move on to your next scenario on another island (with another city). So after spending a couple hours building and being familiar with your city, you immediately leave and go to one you worked on a few days or weeks ago. That makes it hard to remember what resource/ asset you have built on each island.

But overall, a great game (there are mp trophies but they're easy to boost). And not that difficult of an ultra rare platinum!! 

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

Have you tried Cities: Skyline? It's said that this game is like SimeCity only better. I haven't played SimCity or Cities: Skyline so I can't really say anything about it.