What to do if I make a mistake?

HusKy

(Minor spoilers ahead)

One thing that is not totally clear to me, so I'd rather ask then to make a mistake during my "everyone lives" playthrough.

1. Is there anything I can do if I make a mistake during QTE/don't move section?

e.g. Chris is escaping from Wendigos, I make a mistake during QTE while he is escaping so I can no longer obtain "Ashley Snaps"

2. Can I use chapter select to pick up forgotten collectibles after I have finished my plathrough?

As much as I like this game, I don't enjoy replaying this type of games so I'm trying to make this as smooth as possible.

• Like 1

As far as I can remember, if the mistake is something that will ultimately end the life of a character or flat out kills them, there is no way to reverse your choice and you need to play through again making the right choices. There are plenty of guides to work through though which give you specific points to keep in mind when playing. Although the game does make it really easy to make a mistake.

As far as collectibles go - you can use Chapter select for them. Progress doesn't carry over if you do another play-through though.

You can technically if you screw something up to restart. Just quit immediately to the xmb menu before the save icon appears. The only thing that sucks is that you might have to play a 10 min section again but it's better than a full playthrough or a full chapter

And yea collectible can be gotten from chapter select. And most chaprer specific trophies can be gotten provided that character is still alive in that playthrough. 

Edited by PooPooBlast
  • Like 2

It varies on the situation, for instance the example you gave of Chris doesn't have any major impact on the narrative (granted he survived ?) but when escaping from the psycho as Sam if you mess up the sequence and are caught it can lock you out of some collectibles and in turn trophies. As for your second question, yes you can use chapter select to make your life a little easier. If you have already completed the story once and are just replaying the game to clear up the remaining trophies I suggest using an online guide to reduce the probability of you having to re-do chapters more times than necessary because of accidental mistakes. 

Edited by Xemisis
  • Like 2

Sieve through the menu when you boot up the game and you should be able to find a chapter select and as for the 'don't move' parts just put your controller down on a flat surface to make things a breeze. ?

Edited by Xemisis
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, HusKyCode said:

Wait, how can I restart a chapter? I haven't seen this option anywhere.

I'm planning to use a guide but it's so easy to mess up, especially the don't move parts. :)

I don't think you get chapter select until you beat the game or it's at the main menu under Chapter Select. However, you can use chapter select to get any missing collectables and exit out of it once it saves.

Unfortunately, exiting the game via the xmb menu is the only way. There is no "Return to title screen." Just remember to do it immediately as you screw up or you'll have to replay that chapter.

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

or you'll have to replay that chapter.

But you can't just replay it because chapter select is not available until you finish the whole game, right?

@PermaFox Totally forgot about USB backups. That's it. Gonna combine this with quick exit and I should be fine.

Edited by HusKyCode
comma

2 minutes ago, HusKyCode said:

But you can't just replay it because chapter select is not available until you finish the whole game, right?

@PermaFox Totally forgot about USB backups. That's it. Gonna combine this with quick exit and I should be fine.

Any game that has the QTEs or is frustrating, just be sure to load your system save to the flash.  That way, if you screw up, you can reload the flash back to your system.  You pretty much know which areas of the game are going to give you a problem.  So, for Until Dawn, you could have a save file for the beginning of Chapter 5.  Good luck and let me know how you do!

The save system for this game is nuts, because it only saves a record of your first ever playthrough so can't be permanently overwritten. The only way to change the outcome of the game and the fate of each person is to use Chapter Select to go all the way back to Chapter 4 and replay the game from there but you have to do this each time you want to go for a different ending trophy, since reloading any other Chapter will only give you your playthrough 1 decisions for it and not the ones you just made. The collectibles are a different story, since those are saved the moment you pick them up so aren't affected by the bonkers save system

Thanks everyone. Here's what I have put together for now:

1. I'll be using "close game" + USB save backups for saving everyone in the game in case I make a mistake or get someone killed.

2. I'll focus on all the collectibles but in case I miss something, I'll use chapter select to mop them up.

My first playthrough was blind and afterwards, I have been doing the guide backwards. Cleaned up stage 3 first and now I'm doing stage 2 - kill everyone (+some misc trophies related to this path).

2 hours ago, HusKyCode said:

@PermaFox

I believe so. It's been a while since I have played it, but if you don't see the option now, don't worry. It'll pop up after you beat the game.

2 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I believe so. It's been a while since I have played it, but if you don't see the option now, don't worry. It'll pop up after you beat the game.

Well, that would only help with collectibles or I missed something.

Imagine you kill Jessica in fourth chapter and you fully finish that chapter and the rest of the game. Chapter select at the end wouldn't really help with "they all lived" trophy because you can't just save her in 4th chapter, you would need to play chapters 4-10 continuously.

53 minutes ago, HusKyCode said:

Well, that would only help with collectibles or I missed something.

Imagine you kill Jessica in fourth chapter and you fully finish that chapter and the rest of the game. Chapter select at the end wouldn't really help with "they all lived" trophy because you can't just save her in 4th chapter, you would need to play chapters 4-10 continuously.

Yeah, I mean that for collectables. Most characters can't even die until chapter 8-ish anyways unless you try really hard to fail every single QTE. Lol.

In fact, Sam lives until the final chapter and Michael is hard to kill off before that. You can accidentally kill off Matt, Chris, and Emily pretty easily though. I think Jessica is the only one who can die that early? I'm not even sure if she dies if Michael doesn't make it time, but that was the hardest QTE in the game.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

Just finished my full "everyone lives"+collectibles playthrough and I can confirm that:

- chapter select only unlocks once you finish the last chapter

- if you make a mistake, you need to quickly close the game and reload

- if the above did not help, the only option is to load your backup save if you have one

• 10 months later...

Sorry for bumping an old thread but currently doing this game. I'm on my first "all-survive-run". 

I have a question though...

I'm currently at chapter 5, but during ch 4, Ashley and Josh were caught by the Psycho and put at the sawblade. I had to choose which person should live. Josh died. Did I fail this playthrough already since he died? Can't find any info anywhere about this being something normal in a survive playthrough

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Erkawest said:

Sorry for bumping an old thread but currently doing this game. I'm on my first "all-survive-run". 

I have a question though...

Hide contents

I'm currently at chapter 5, but during ch 4, Ashley and Josh were caught by the Psycho and put at the sawblade. I had to choose which person should live. Josh died. Did I fail this playthrough already since he died? Can't find any info anywhere about this being something normal in a survive playthrough

Spoiler

No, you're fine. Since it seems like you've not finished it before I won't say why.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 10/21/2018 at 9:44 AM, Syth-Lorde said:

Sieve through the menu when you boot up the game and you should be able to find a chapter select and as for the 'don't move' parts just put your controller down on a flat surface to make things a breeze. 1f609.png

Where are you finding this for the PS4 there’s no chapter select. I need help. I’m having trouble with the qtes do you know how to shut them off?

• 1 year later...

What's kept me from jumping (back) into this game since picking up trophy hunting, is that in my head I imagine that each minutia vastly impacts the narrative and locks me out of trophies... is that not the case? Are there only 1-2 moments in each chapter in which a decision actually matters for All Live / All Die trophies?

• 6 months later...

I missed a QTE right at the end of the game during my "Keep everyone alive" playthrough, which caused them all to die. So during the credits, I quit the game to replay the final chapter... Only to relise it didnt save at all and I basically had to redo the entire playthrough

• 2 weeks later...

I made the wrong choice in chapter 6, I had Matt try to save Em and messed up my save everyone playthrough. At that point there is nothing you can do at the moment to have a redo, just beat the game so you unlock chapter select, then replay from the chapter you messed up on to the end.