What physical media format will the next gen consoles use?

Dreakon13

What format will the next major consoles use?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What format will the next major consoles use?

• Discs/Blu Ray (possibly multiple discs per game ala RDR2)
    • Cartridges/Flash Memory (ala Nintendo Switch)
    • Other (please reply below)

The PS5 and Nextbox will continue to use Blu-Ray...but I assume they'll have drives capable of reading 6 Layer Discs (they can hold 300GB). With 8 Layers being compatible for future use. I'm not really sure why RDR2 needed 2 discs as I thought the PS4 could read Quad-Layered discs (128GB), which should still be enough. 

But best believe the next consoles will have a much firmer emphasis of Digital Media. Because Gen 9 very well could be the last generation with physical discs as the world tries to move to an all-digital age.  

Edited by Viper

6 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

Physical copies seem to be slowly dying out, but I think home consoles will stick to disks and portables will use cartridges

How so? Physical copies tend to still outsell their digital counterparts. 
The cleanprince-esqe narrative that anything is dying out is grossly exaggerated. 

• Like 1

Blu-Ray discs are still fairly popular so I'm going to say the next gen will be using discs. However, considering Nintendo is using cartridges, that will go on for a while now. Digital hasn't reached its apex yet for it to be the only dominant form of media in my opinion.

Xbox 2 (Scarlett or whatever) streaming console runs using content from cloud. No disc's.

Xbox 2 (Scarlett or whatever) full version uses cloud and disc.

2 hours ago, Divecomb said:

Xbox Two, lmao. Xbox 2 is Xbox 360. And thou think Xbox One is the first Microsoft Xbox console lmao.

No. Xbox 360 is Xbox 360 not Xbox 2. Xbox 2 is just a pet name given to the next gen console which is just what most people are calling it right now until we have something official to call it.

No-one thinks that Xbox One was the first Microsoft console. Like absolutely no-one.

Edited by CyberJapanGamer

^ There's gotta be at least 1 person on the planet that thinks Xbox one is Microsofts 1st console. Speaking of which, I love the original XB and still use it to this day for various emulators and regular games.

I doubt we'll ever be digital only in our lifetimes, the emphasis on collecting is not the same in all countries. Digital only at this stage would not be good for the market.