Hitting the breaking point...

AJ_Radio

2 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

I mean people can play however they want at the end of the day, but the ones that use guides and say well that was easy is outright baffling to read sometimes.

I know right, people that will happily put someone down because they auto synced Sound Shapes for example, proudly proclaiming they did all stacks 'legit', with the meaning of 'legit' being following a guide to do all the Beat School levels within 30 seconds each.

As far as anyone's opinion about my trophy card, you can file it directly in the shredder. It's where I have been putting everyone else's opinion about me other than my wife's and direct family member's for the past 25 years or so and it has been working beautifully for me.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

Not pertaining to OP, but in general a lot of the toxicity I see in the community revolves around a useless number.

For example my account, if 70% is *decent* but I own 3,000 games am I suppose to complete 75 games per 2.5% increase and eventually 750 games per 25% increase to be *decent* number wise.

It's funny because if a gamer avoids games they own to avoid risk of "ruining" their completion ratio IMO they are falsifying there own percentage.

If you have let's say 100 games but only have 25 on there to have 100% shouldn't it be 25% in reality?

And why does this useless number get to a point where in our gaming community we go so far as putting down others for less numbers and comparing one another as if thats a positive means of *encouragement* 

Also what you said about guides is spot on, so many people use guides and say, well this game was so easy after I read up a glitch on how to exploit a game and figured out his to copy someone else's methods.

Like especially for puzzle games, using a walkthrough is a huge disservice to yourself when playing, yet people just want to run through a game quickly and get the credit for beating it so they can move on.

Like I can't imagine playing portal 2 and reading a guide for that game, imo things like that can ruin an experience let alone any challenge the game has to offer.

I mean people can play however they want at the end of the day, but the ones that use guides and say well that was easy is outright baffling to read sometimes.

The problem is because the internet is so big and mainstream now, anybody can just look up a guide for this point and click game.

A large part of this toxic behavior in this community stems not just around useless numbers, but the type of games people play.

I love those point and click games as much as anybody else, in fact I plan to play a few of them. But this mentality of reading a guide for said point and click and then saying it was easy shouldn't entirely be blamed on the people.

These days it's so easy to just look up a guide for a particular game and then say that wasn't so bad. This in effect makes those puzzle games a lot less enjoyable because you let a guide do all the work for you without doing it yourself.

That's why I look at certain games like Rogue Legacy to still stand out because the game will still be difficult for many gamers even if they did look up the guide on it.

I just play whatever games I want to play. I am a bit of a completionist and hate seeing incomplete things, so I like to finish games when I can and hide those that are impossible to platinum or too difficult and not worth the effort imo. I don't care about other people's opinions because in the end games are just a hobby for me to have fun. But I will still casually enjoy playing my hidden games since I still paid money for them and only playing games for trophies and not for fun seems like a huge waste, as why do you play video games in the first place? For me it's to have fun, immerse myself in another character's shoes and to occasionally challenge myself by completing difficult feats for me, for myself to admire me, methinks.

18 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

Tell me about it. I always mention "If you follow a guide or wait for one to be made to play a game, YOU REALLY DIDN'T PLAY THE GAME". 

I personally only look up guides if I do not understand a trophy or I am legit stuck in a spot. Also if I wants tips and tricks to understand something but make it my own. Been doing that a lot lately on The Division on Xbox One. 

• Like 2

I prioritise fun over trophies. Playing with that mentality, I still have 76% completion and 31 plats. I've never seen the point in stacking or playing Mayo, but that's just me. Each to their own.

To reply to the original post, my breaking point in any plat quest would be a glitch, a trophy requiring a complete re-run, or possibly too much online faff.

• Like 1

To put it simply:

I give up plats when they are clearly out of my league, like Ultimate Marvel Versus Capcom 3 trials.

I don't mind long grinds and I am perfectly capable of leaving a game on the backburner for months, even years until I find I want to do that last bit of grind needed for the plat. I am generally very patient like that. I don't care about overall completion at all, only about what I am playing at the moment.

I also tend to prioritize online trophies to get them out of the way and then complete the game in question since I have already started it, but with the same above-referred "it will take as long as it takes" mentality. I'm doing Absolver right now along with other stuff, but have no intention to finish the grind in the next weeks. I'll get to it eventually though.

All in all, I don't let the time it takes to get to the plat or 100% bother me at all, and don't mind letting games go such as UMVC3 or Uncharted series MP.

Edited by fabmorais_2011
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

I will never 100 percent this account because I would have to go completely out of my way to achieve what I think is the impossible.

There is no way in hell I will 100 percent the PS3 versions of Uncharted 2 and 3 because I just cannot be bothered to spend hundreds of hours boosting. For something simple? Yeah sure. But having to boost with randoms who can range from reliable to shitty just isn't my idea of having fun.

Uncharted 2 took me less than 100 hours (roughly 80) and that was with a bunch of hours trying to get medals legit instead of finding a boosting group. Could definitely get that done much faster than I did. Uncharted 3... I don't even know how long that took because I was too happy once it was done to bother checking lol

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

My breaking point is probably an unusual one, Uncharted 4.

I did Crushing on every other Uncharted game, several times.  I could do it with my eyes closed.  IMO Crushing in Uncharted 4 is flat out broken.  Which brought to light how trophies... by forcing you to push games to their limits with the hardest difficulties and strict guidelines... often tend to quickly and aggressively expose their problems/imbalances.  And made me realize by forcing myself through the broken modes of an otherwise remarkable game, that it was not only starting to spoil one of my favorite series, but gaming in general in some ways.

With that game I decided to bail on trophies altogether.  Granted I was never good at completing everything I played, but trophies did dictate what I'd play and what I'd pass on at one point.  Which also became kinda tiring.  I miss trophies/achievements sometimes, you're definitely encouraged to get more bang for your buck out of your games by adhering to them.  But it just isn't a fit for me anymore. xD

For Uncharted 4, if you beat it on any mode (even explorer I think?) you unlock tweaks that you can use in your crushing playthrough - stuff like infinite ammo, weapons on demand, and slow motion when aiming. It's a little cheap but crushing in Uncharted 4 is kinda bullshit compared to 1-3 and Golden Abyss.

OT: I have spent the past 3-4 days playing a single song in Hatsune Miku, trying to beat it. This is, supposedly, a 4/10 difficulty game. It was very frustrating and not very fun, but the elation I felt when I finally beat it an hour or two ago was great. There are also many games out there that are hard, but fair, and offer a satisfying challenge like Bound or Lumo or WipEout. Avoiding games just because they're difficult seems like you'd miss out on a lot of great games - just because they're difficult, doesn't mean they're unfair or impossible. But then there are also some bullshit games out there like Binding of Isaac which is just pure RNG for 100+ hours, so it's very hit or miss - but the hits are amazing.

I think the best thing to do if you're OCD is to play the game on an alt or blank account (though I think MMDE doesn't like blank accounts?) for a few hours to see if it's the fun kind of challenge or not. I don't bother because I'd rather spend those hours making progress on my actual account, but it'd help you avoid a lot of games that you don't think you're capable of whilst also opening you up to some of the fun challenges.

I'll never let a game stop me playing it just because its a hard one and there is a good chance I won't get the plat/100%.  A good example is Wolfenstein 2 The New Colossus.  I loved the first games and will be getting this for sure when it has the full GOTY edition there.  No explanation needed with the mein lieben trophy, I still can't belive that there was a serious petition made about that ffs lol.  I'm really looking forward to getting the game and sure, there is a high chance I'll never get the plat for it but so what.  The game looks immense and I'll have fun playing it.

As for super meatboy I'm pretty much the same.  After I got zombie boy I tried those cotton alley levels for a good while and it got to the point that there was zero fun in that game any more so I just said fuck it.  Deleted and I'll never bother going back to it.  At least we can say we got zombie boy!  Lot of resepect for those that did earn the plat, I just don't have the patience for it and just can't be arsed wasting any more time on it.  Much rather spend my time playing games i enjoy and have fun with :)

• Like 1

I tend to only avoid games with serious multiplayer trophies, luckily compared to last gen that is often not the case anymore unless its a game that is mp focussed.

The best cure to 100%itis is to just play some games you know you can't 100%.

Whenever that happens to me i try to atleast get a A rank.

It happened with me recently with trackmania turbo and lumo.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

I was banned for saying we shouldnt as a community enable or support that kind of thing, because despite Sony's approval, in my eyes its a real form of cheating when you allow someone to just complete insane rare trophies for you.

That definitely is a line gamers these days cross without hesitation and I kinda grew up with the old gamer ethics where cheat codes were bad, don't be bad.

This is my problem as well.

When I was going for the platinum in Batman: Arkham Knight, I regularly checked the trophies and I saw lots, and I mean lots of people trying to get others to shareplay that Brutality 101 trophy. The trophy for getting 15 different moves in one combo. Sure, it's difficult, it's frustrating, but letting someone do the work for you undermines the purpose of trophy hunting.

As someone said on this topic earlier, your trophy progress is a sign of your own work, even for those games that you didn't have the skill to fully finish. If people are letting others share play Arkham Knight, what does that tell them as gamers?

Thing is back then when we were kids we didn't care about using cheat codes. Those of you who are older may remember the Game Genie, which was infamous for being the cheat code device every kid wanted.

31 minutes ago, fabmorais_2011 said:

To put it simply:

I give up plats when they are clearly out of my league, like Ultimate Marvel Versus Capcom 3 trials.

I don't mind long grinds and I am perfectly capable of leaving a game on the backburner for months, even years until I find I want to do that last bit of grind needed for the plat. I am generally very patient like that. I don't care about overall completion at all, only about what I am playing at the moment.

I also tend to prioritize online trophies to get them out of the way and then complete the game in question since I have already started it, but with the same above-referred "it will take as long as it takes" mentality. I'm doing Absolver right now along with other stuff, but have no intention to finish the grind in the next weeks. I'll get to it eventually though.

All in all, I don't let the time it takes to get to the plat or 100% bother me at all, and don't mind letting games go such as UMVC3 or Uncharted series MP.

Those Capcom fighting games are no joke. There is absolutely no way I would do Street Fighter IV or UMVC3.

I fully understand something like Super Meat Boy being entirely out of a lot of peoples league. It's difficult and it was meant to be difficult. Since I'm good at platformers I will give it a shot, even if Impossible Boy takes me 50 - 75+ hours to get.

But any fighting game that is difficult, any beat rhythm music game or long grind multiplayer game like Friday the 13th or Uncharted 3 just isn't for me. Monster Hunter World I will probably never get because of how long that game is. Just doesn't captivate me at all.

21 minutes ago, madbuk said:

OT: I have spent the past 3-4 days playing a single song in Hatsune Miku, trying to beat it. This is, supposedly, a 4/10 difficulty game. It was very frustrating and not very fun, but the elation I felt when I finally beat it an hour or two ago was great. There are also many games out there that are hard, but fair, and offer a satisfying challenge like Bound or Lumo or WipEout. Avoiding games just because they're difficult seems like you'd miss out on a lot of great games - just because they're difficult, doesn't mean they're unfair or impossible. But then there are also some bullshit games out there like Binding of Isaac which is just pure RNG for 100+ hours, so it's very hit or miss - but the hits are amazing.

I think the best thing to do if you're OCD is to play the game on an alt or blank account (though I think MMDE doesn't like blank accounts?) for a few hours to see if it's the fun kind of challenge or not. I don't bother because I'd rather spend those hours making progress on my actual account, but it'd help you avoid a lot of games that you don't think you're capable of whilst also opening you up to some of the fun challenges.

This is where I'm at with Downwell. The problem with this game is how much of it is luck based. While I consider games like Velocity 2X and Rogue Legacy to be fair, Downwell on the other hand I consider to be cheap. 

I've spent around 5 - 10 hours trying to get the last gold trophy I need for the platinum, with no luck so far. Completely understandable, the platinum is ultra rare and the game is rated an 8 out of 10. But it's pretty crazy when I see time stamps of people getting the platinum for this game in less than two hours. Must be extremely skilled to pull that off.

To the best of my knowledge, difficulty has not prevented me from playing a game so far. My Shadow Warrior, Revengeance and Dead Space 2 platinums are testament to that. And I fully intend to platinum Max Payne 3 and Catherine at some point and make their most difficult trophies milestones. The only game on my main account I have accepted that I am unlikely to ever complete is Cloudberry Kingdom, because seriously? F that game. But I digress. So yes, difficulty has not prevented me from playing a game I believed I would enjoy. What has prevented me from doing so is a completion time in the 100s of hours and above in the guide, because I know most of that will be tedious grinding. To this day I regret adding the PS3 version of Uncharted 3 to my profile, knowing that the PS4 version exists. But hindsight is always 20-20.

• Like 1

I dont care about trophies anymore

once you hit 200+ platinums, like who really gives a fuck anymore at that point, 6+years of trophy hunting...its been a fun ride but its not going to be a lifetime thing for me

im currently playing black ops 4 and im almost certain the platinum is either out of reach or just too much of a grind to even wanna go for, and im fine with that, im having so much fun with the game itself and im satisfied getting my money’s worth vs coughing up cash on easy games with short platinum requirements that are fun for 2 minutes then get boring 

ill be playing this game for years to come vs finishing it and never touching it again

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spaz said:

I have OCD and therefore I feel a want and desire to complete most games I play. Over the past few years I have avoided certain games for the fear that I may not complete them or they would be too difficult. My trophy account doesn't have a lot of rare trophies and there is a good reason for that. While not entirely true, I tend to find that trophies that are rare to ultra rare require a lot more effort and dedication. Certain exceptions such as Dust: An Elysian Tail have a lot of rare trophies, but I found this game to be fairly easy. In my experience niche games that don't attract a large audience tend to have more rare trophies, and have a certain learning curve that isn't going to attract too many people. On the flip side, games such as the reboot Ratchet and Clank and Marvel's Spider-Man have a lot of easy trophies, but that doesn't deter from most people feeling that both games are very good in what they do. Provide an enjoyable experience for a casual audience, which largely explains why the platinums in both games are relatively high.

This makes perfect sense in the world of sports, as it is a competitive and often fierce environment where athletics strive to be the best they possibly can. But as someone who plays video games purely for fun and considers trophy hunting to be a nice hobby, I just don't think trying to compete for the leaderboards or to prove you're an extremely skilled gamer is worth it.

So what do you guys think?

I suggest you mix it up a bit and participate in the Kill Your Completion event in November.  As someone who has self-diagnosed gaming OCD (B)), it has helped me care less about trophies and more about trying new games.  I'm sure like most gamers, you have quite a backlog, so it's nice to tackle that with a 3-day time limit. The games you like you will return to, the game you don't, will jusy slowly slide down your profile. We start next week so give it a try!

- Also, your comnents on the Super Meat Boy have provided good, albeit unintentional, comedic relief over the last year.  I still believe you can do it! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, madbuk said:

For Uncharted 4, if you beat it on any mode (even explorer I think?) you unlock tweaks that you can use in your crushing playthrough - stuff like infinite ammo, weapons on demand, and slow motion when aiming. It's a little cheap but crushing in Uncharted 4 is kinda bullshit compared to 1-3 and Golden Abyss.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing... but it was well after the game had broken me, and if I have to use cheats (even in-game ones) to beat it, then what's the point.

Edited by Dreakon13

2 hours ago, NekoRave said:

Not pertaining to OP, but in general a lot of the toxicity I see in the community revolves around a useless number.

I read this word a lot here nowadays. Is there really that much toxicity? Yes, there are people who hold opinions (sometimes too strongly for my taste). But this word seems to be bandied simply because one person disagrees with another. There's very little "git gud skrub" comments on this forum, and while plenty of people have proudly displayed one or more of these "useless" numbers, that's a far cry from being toxic.

But anyway, getting back to the thread, I quit games all the time. I often restart them, and quit them again. But I wouldn't really say there is a "breaking" point for me. If I stop playing one game, it's probably because I wanted to spend time on another. I have little belief that I will plat SMB (even with greater effort than I have currently exerted), but I don't really care. It's not that it "broke" me, per se, but I freely confess that I can't get some of the trophies with my current amount of effort and energy, and increasing that effort/energy would make gaming less fun overall.

• Like 4

I think I also replied on your previous thread, and I think we talked about SMB.

I never had any game that made me rage because I couldn't do something. I don't know if it is about skill or just that the games I usually like tend to not have bs lists.

I always follow my gut on what I want to play next, and my gut always gives me a nice difficulty curve so I can have a challenge and then follow up with something more laid back.

For example, right now I'm playing Tales of Zestiria, a game I wanted to complete to collect all Tales of platinums but that I have postponed for years. Then, one day I came back home wanting to play a another big JRPG after not being long since I did Dragon Quest XI. My gut decided it was time to do it, and here I am, having a blast playing a game I thought I didn't like.

I always have a few games in mind for the future and I usually only play 1 thing at a time. For me, trophies always add, don't take. Like having more incentive to do Tales of Zestiria because it has like 10 ultra rares. I have actually dropped the completion of some Switch games because there was gonna be no log keeping track of those accomplishments for me to look at after being done.

In the end, what I love about trophies is having a way to automatically keep track of my accomplishments. Looking back at the dates I earned them and remembering what I had to go through for each of them.

With that in mind, I also go along with the group that doesn't understand why people want to use share play to get difficult trophies. If you can't do it because it is too difficult for your skill level or because you don't want to put the effort, then it should stay uncompleted to show just that.

What's the fun in looking back at that trophy and being: "oh, right, that one trophy some dude completed for me", when it could be a story of: "hoo boy, damn I worked hard for this one. I had to master this game doing this, this and that, it was intense!".

• Like 4

Ive always liked challenges both in real life and in video games. I dont need to show anyone my skills or how patient i am. I do it because i love it. It brings me 10x more enjoyment than going through something that doesnt challenge me in the slighest.

take people who loves to climb and scale mountains in real life, some do it without safety gear...why? Probably because anything other than that would be boring to them.

alot of people underestimate themselves and give up before even trying...like *really* trying. Lifes too short to give up or not challenge yourself.

• Like 1

This one of those things where you just have to find the right balance for yourself. 

Some like easy trophies, UR trophies, playing for story only, etc. 

I started on the "playing for story" end then transitioned into caring a little about trophies then obsessively caring then right now post 100 plats, I'm easing into caring a only a little. 

There is no right or wrong answer and it's just finding out what excites you the most and what best suits your current lifestyle. 

Seems though that you have it figured out. :)

• Like 1

Well super meat boy is very hard and that same thing happend to me while playing super monkey ball because while playing i was always thinking that the platinum is impossible and i cant make it but with presistence i blast through the levels and got the plat and that was the best felling ever! So no i dont want easy plats but challenging ones! Also ratchet and clank is a very easy platinum...

This year I pretty much hit my breaking point with trophies. After I got my #150th platinum, the motivation began declining. I found myself getting to frustrated with games to the point where I wasn't enjoying them anymore so I had to stop, re-evaluate and decide to put my energy into enjoying games for what enjoyment I can get out of them. It isn't worth holes in the wall or almost breaking a controller. I'll play difficult games if they interest me but if I don't get the platinum, oh well. 

I have one life. I am not going to ruin it stressing out over the inability to beat harder games and get 100% completion. 

• Like 2