Hitting the breaking point...

AJ_Radio

I have Dragon Fin Soup on my account. I will never have 100%.

But I don't really care that much, either so there's that. 

I do have a casual goal of having twice as many trophies as I do incomplete trophies, but if I go over I don't panic I just go through some of the games I enjoyed but stepped away from and play them more. 

I pick things for fun. I don't play games like Super Meat Boy because I generally hate platformers (there are some notable exceptions but they typically involve a strong emphasis on story or puzzles) so why put myself through that? I do shy away from games with a giant online trophy list collection but only because I prefer single player and the trophy list usually shows the emphasis of the game. (I do like MMORPGs but purposely shy away from them because I always end up being a clan leader or some such and then get overwhelmed trying to juggle other people's drama and it's stupid and frustrating and games are for relaxing). 

I like collecting platinums. But the journey matters more than the destination and I have no problem walking away if that journey gets frustrating. 

I am relatively new to trophy hunting. My passion for it started back in 2016 when I was playing "Unravel" (adorable game where you play as a character made of yarn and go through some puzzles and platforming) and had finished the game, but I wanted to play it some more. I hadn't usually ran into that dilemma since I mostly played sports games strictly. I then looked through the trophies and said "wow trying to get through each level without dying actually sounds pretty fun", got the platinum, and that's where my passion was born. Went through my sports games doing my best, played through Knack, Tropico 5 and got those plats, and so forth. Recently in 2018 I've been more aggressive with my purchases. My following /r/PS4Deals I track when games go on sale, and usually if it's sub-$20 and it intrigues me I'll pull the trigger and dig in. It's benefited be playing some very memorable games like Oxenfree and Gravity Rush which I wouldn't have touched otherwise. 

53 games played, 31 completed games, and 29 platinums. I think it's something I don't expect to slow down on any time soon. I don't view trophy hunting as an aggressive attempt to fly up the leaderboards or collect as many platinums as possible. I don't have a single platinum north of 45%. Easy games like the mayo one attract 0 interest to me. Hell, I kinda don't want to get "Burly Men At Sea" since it's platinum is so common I don't wanna hurt my average rarity. I'm not saying one should or should not "retire", but I think having a more casual overall perspective can still bring the joys of trophy hunting and accomplishment without as much of the baggage. 

2 hours ago, Fish613 said:

Anyway, i know im getting off subject a  little bit. To me, the most important trophy stat is trophy rarity average (if you look at trophy hunting as a competition (which i do NOT)). I'll take an account with 2,000 Trophies and a Rarity average of around 35% over an account with 20,000 Trophies with a rarity average of around 50%.

The only competition I see are the people at the top of the leaderboards. And frankly it’s a numbers game, who can get the most platinums. 

Hakoom is #1 obviously. But despite some very impressive stuff he has a lot of junk on his profile. Certainly noting the hundreds of Japanese novels that he did in a matter of minutes. 

THAT is a chore. I wouldn’t consider that to be playing for fun especially if you can’t read Japanese and have no idea what is going on. 

I’m at around 47 percent trophy rarity which is nothing special, but it’s certainly not the highest. 

2 hours ago, Fish613 said:

What has really discouraged me from trying to complete a lot of games is DLC. I just got the platinum for FFXV and the game is at 50% completion, just another reason why Completion Percentage means NOTHING.  I will not spend extra money just for trophies, that is stupid and irresponsible imo.

How is this stupid and irresponsible?

If you enjoyed the game well enough to earn the platinum, I don’t see why people wouldn’t want to buy the DLC to play the game further. 

I can understand money issues, not everyone has the budget to buy DLC for every single game they play. 

But there’s also this idea that a game isn’t worth it if it doesn’t have a platinum. I argued several times on the Hitman 2 forums because people bitched about having no platinum trophy. A lot of games without a platinum get skipped, and the reason for that is usually silly and stupid.

3 hours ago, Fish613 said:

Completion % people only prove they can complete easy games, will spend extra money and/or have lots of free time. And HONESTLY NO OFFENSE, but your account is not very good imo (if i were to see trophy hunting as a competition, which like i said, i do not). You have a Completion percentage of 91.42% with over 8,000 trophies and 259 games played. BUT you only have 91 ultra rares and average rarity of 47.78%.  As opposed to my 217 games played with 396 ultra rares and a 37.02% average rarity. I'd take my account over yours any day.....even though you have around 2,000 more trophies and your completion percentage is about 22% higher than mine. I just used my account as an example because it was easiest on hand, i wasnt trying to boast my trophies, because i know there are a lot of people out there way better than mine.

Not necessarily. 

You’re just stereotyping completionists. I’m by no means a hardcore completionist but I do my best to finish most games I play. 

Finishing your games means you’ve experienced a lot of the content. Somebody with only 50 percent completion usually has a lot of unfinished games. Personally I cannot live with such a shitty completion rate. I don’t know how people can buy hundreds and thousands of games and barely touch most of them. 

I never said my account was good. Obviously there are people who are a lot better, such as TheYuriG, Floriss, Lilpain97 and Danny_Johansen. 

Am I supposed to prove something here? I thought we played games and did trophy hunting for fun. Not going after a useless statistic like the leaderboards. 

8 hours ago, Fish613 said:

Also another thing i noticed on your account, and i dont mean to come across as a jerk, but i always find accounts that do that glitch/cheat/loophole/trick/workaround (whatever you want to call it) for Sound Shapes to be kind of sad and shameful 1f615.png.  EARN your trophies dude 1f642.png, trust me... its much more satisfying when you earn them, as opposed to glitching them.

Dude, cmon. 

I have over 230 games completed and out of all those, only Sound Shapes and Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time I autopopped. Which in order to do that, you have to play the games as they were meant to be played the first time. 

All other stacks I did like any other game, play them normally. Which means I played the Sly Cooper trilogy twice on two different systems. 

So what exactly is glitching a trophy?

I get burned out on games easy. I have a list on my phone of trophies earned by year. plats. etc. whether myself or my ex and i back in the day. but once i hit 10000, and I'm 30 away(?), I'm not gonna go out of my way for trophies. if I enjoy the game, I'll go for some extras sure. but no more games that just have easy trophies for the sake of a leaderboard. i enjoy gaming but that's just it,I enjoy gaming. once I hit 10000 trophies, I'll feel completed as a trophy hunter. once I beat KH3 and Doom Eternal, ill feel complete as a gamer. point is I am planning to leave this site soon. I learned about some games from here I otherwise wouldnt have. but working a more than Full time job, and balancing life outside work, gaming is just a major major backseat for me right now in life. so I'll game when I can. but I would say trophy hunting, I'm not into it anymore and essentially done. I'll buy games to play and enjoy, not to look at be like oh I wonder what good easy trophies are in this game. or I'm buying this game cause I know it's an easy plat. I'm just gonna buy games and go back to the root reason of gaming, for fun.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

But there’s also this idea that a game isn’t worth it if it doesn’t have a platinum. I argued several times on the Hitman 2 forums because people bitched about having no platinum trophy. A lot of games without a platinum get skipped.

this. Hitman 2 looks amazing and when a price drop happens I will pick it up. I don't care if it has a platinum. if its anything like past hitman games, it will be FUN. that's what gaming should be about.

• Like 1

I have no motivation to plat games which bore or frustrate me in their trophy list. I don't have the time at this point in my life to practice certain things over and over again for hours, and wouldn't want to unless it was fun. I don't have a large number of difficult or rare plats, although the JRPGs can take hundreds of hours, so I don't exactly try to maximise my trophy count either. Nor do I care about completion. Games like Diablo 3 or countless telltale or VN games I could easily plat but stop when I get bored. 

The leadearboard is so worthless, though.

The other day I accidentally touched the rank number on my profile so it sent me to the whole list. The guy over me had 1 plat... I have 38. I checked his profile out of curiosity and, to no one's surprise, he had like 10% completion with a trillion bronze trophies. I already had a very bad opinion of the leaderboards, since it just measures how much money and free time you have, but this brought it even further down.

In my opinion it should do the Mario Party thing and first consider trophy types. So before ranking by points to tie break it goes by amount of plats, then gold, then silver, then bronze, and finally points. This would make non-plat games worth a little less, though.

5 hours ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

I get burned out on games easy. I have a list on my phone of trophies earned by year. plats. etc. whether myself or my ex and i back in the day. but once i hit 10000, and I'm 30 away(?), I'm not gonna go out of my way for trophies. if I enjoy the game, I'll go for some extras sure. but no more games that just have easy trophies for the sake of a leaderboard.

That's your bad for inflating your trophy count with trash, easy games. After 10 years I just hit 2000 trophies during my last game played. This doesn't mean I don't play many games, but I only play games that I care about, and I also play on other consoles and PC (during those 10 years there were lots of 3DS, Wii, Wii U and Switch). This means it will take me about 40 more years to get to 10k trophies.

I will never get burn out because I never do it just because of the trophies.

Edited by AndresLionheart
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Spaz said:

You going to retire at 100?

I'll be slowing down with the plats. I won't be in a rush to get them completed.

11 hours ago, NekoRave said:

I love carpenter Brut!!

GosT was their supporting artist on that night in Motion, Bristol.  They were both good live.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fish613 said:

Anyway, i know im getting off subject a  little bit. To me, the most important trophy stat is trophy rarity average (if you look at trophy hunting as a competition (which i do NOT)). I'll take an account with 2,000 Trophies and a Rarity average of around 35% over an account with 20,000 Trophies with a rarity average of around 50%.

What if the person with 20000 trophies has every single one of the 2000 trophies that the other player acquired?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

What if the person with 20000 trophies has every single one of the 2000 trophies that the other player acquired?

I guess that would bring their trophy rarity average down, and probably indicate that person had just been playing a lot longer. 

Out of interest, how would you calculate/find average trophy rarity? 

Edited by thefourfoldroot

I personally am a completionist. I want to 100% all of my games but it doesn't mean I won't start a game I am interested in just because someone says it was difficult. What's the point of having a 100% completion when all of your games are telltale games, japanese bullshit novels and games like Mayo and the shovel ware ps store seems to have gotten a lot of recently?

My other rule is: quality over quantity. I could easily have 500 plats and 15K trophies but ... why should I play crap I don't want to just to pump up those numbers? Nuh... I don't mind playing hard and long games instead of getting some quick plats. I got some 300 hours plats (Monster Hunter) or even 500 hours (Star Ocean Last Hope). In that time I could have easily plated 50 other games but I don't care about leaderboards honestly. I think my account is a good mix of easy, average and difficult plats, but more importantly it is almost free of crap. There are some games which might be crappy in my list but they are there for a reason :P

• Like 2

2 things.

Do you really have OCD, or is just an Itch. Like I have that kind of "OCD" where it bothers me, but since I don't have a 100% account at the end of the day I don't care, it just bothers me a little.

And why do you break your TV? You might have a bigger problem than trophies man, yes we all have been there mad, grabing the controller really hard to a point of almost breaking, maybe punch a pillow, maybe cursing a lot, but breaking your $2000 dollars tv?  DUDE!

19 minutes ago, MAUSZX said:

2 things.

Do you really have OCD, or is just an Itch. Like I have that kind of "OCD" where it bothers me, but since I don't have a 100% account at the end of the day I don't care, it just bothers me a little.

And why do you break your TV? You might have a bigger problem than trophies man, yes we all have been there mad, grabing the controller really hard to a point of almost breaking, maybe punch a pillow, maybe cursing a lot, but breaking your $2000 dollars tv?  DUDE!

Whose television, exactly? I missed that part, lol.

The only time I ever really got burned out was from Raid Mode in Resident Evil Revelations. What you need to do is extremely tedious and time-consuming, and it wasn't fun at all to return to night after night in hopes of making some progress. I actually ended up taking about a two month break from gaming because of it.

That said, I see no reason to go after trophies if you're not enjoying the game. I try my best to make sure I only begin games that I know I'll want to finish. I've had a few missteps along the way (*looks at Spy Chameleon*), but I've never regretted the experience. Similarly, some people only like to play easy games, or only hard games, or only games that can 100%. I'm not going to say I fully agree with any of those sentiments, but I get where they're coming from. To them, it's not about the games themselves, but the ability to complete them.

Personally, I think if you're enjoying how you spend your time, then great. If not, maybe you need a new hobby.

• Like 2

I just complete games that I'm really enjoying. As long as you're having fun doing what you're doing, especially for really hard trophies, then more power to ya. But if it's causing unnecessary stress or you're literally not having fun, then you should step back and assess. 

There's no shame in just moving on to some other game, as long as you're spending your free time the way you want.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AndresLionheart said:

The leadearboard is so worthless, though.

The other day I accidentally touched the rank number on my profile so it sent me to the whole list. The guy over me had 1 plat... I have 38. I checked his profile out of curiosity and, to no one's surprise, he had like 10% completion with a trillion bronze trophies. I already had a very bad opinion of the leaderboards, since it just measures how much money and free time you have, but this brought it even further down.

It's no measure of anything other than how much time you have on your hands.

But then like you said someone a rank higher than you had around 10 percent completion. I don't consider anybody to be a trophy hunter with that low of a percentage. If anything, people who hover around 10 - 40 percent completion are casual gamers in my view. Usually don't finish their games, and usually move on to another game if something is too difficult or frustrating.

16 hours ago, AndresLionheart said:

That's your bad for inflating your trophy count with trash, easy games. After 10 years I just hit 2000 trophies during my last game played. This doesn't mean I don't play many games, but I only play games that I care about, and I also play on other consoles and PC (during those 10 years there were lots of 3DS, Wii, Wii U and Switch). This means it will take me about 40 more years to get to 10k trophies.

I will never get burn out because I never do it just because of the trophies.

I stopped caring after the Nintendo Wii.

The Wii was fun when it came out, had a great experience with friends and family especially with the motion sensor most games were using. But when Nintendo decided to come out with another Wii (the Wii U) that's when I dropped them. They have a dedicated fanbase and are probably the only major company left that has stayed true to it's roots. Microsoft and Sony have both strayed so far from the path they once set foot on it's almost unrecognizable to see what they've become today.

Between that, the 8000 hours I spent on Runescape and trophy hunting I think I'm going to settle with trophy hunting. The only reason for me to buy a Switch would be for the exclusives. Anything else I don't care about.

5 hours ago, MAUSZX said:

2 things.

I never broken my TV, but I've broken a fair share of controllers. I don't understand people who can't grasp what it feels like to rage quit or feel very frustrated over a game. I'm sure we've all been there at some point.

And there is no $2000 TV anymore unless you're shopping for a top of the line flatscreen set that gives out 4K, 8K pristine video quality.

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

The only time I ever really got burned out was from Raid Mode in Resident Evil Revelations. What you need to do is extremely tedious and time-consuming, and it wasn't fun at all to return to night after night in hopes of making some progress. I actually ended up taking about a two month break from gaming because of it.

That said, I see no reason to go after trophies if you're not enjoying the game. I try my best to make sure I only begin games that I know I'll want to finish. I've had a few missteps along the way (*looks at Spy Chameleon*), but I've never regretted the experience. Similarly, some people only like to play easy games, or only hard games, or only games that can 100%. I'm not going to say I fully agree with any of those sentiments, but I get where they're coming from. To them, it's not about the games themselves, but the ability to complete them.

Personally, I think if you're enjoying how you spend your time, then great. If not, maybe you need a new hobby.

I've played video games for over 25 years, so I know where I stand when something feels too time consuming or difficult.

A nice balance is the best way to go about it. Personally I'm not content with stacking easy game after easy game because that's just boring. But it's probably not good to just play hard games either because there's a good chance you might not finish them all due to lack of skill or commitment.

Hakoom's perspective isn't on the games, but his ability to complete them. That's pretty much the mindset of the top trophy hunters, and I think it is an absolutely fruitless endeavor to be doing that at all. Of course I would probably have a few thousand more trophies to my account and around 30 - 50 platinums more, but what's the point? If the games look like shit to me and they play horribly, then I'm not going to bother playing them.

And should trophy hunting lose it's luster for me, there's plenty of new hobbies for me to pursue.

I try to 100% a game mainly because of the fact that they cost quite a bit of money and I feel that a platinum or 100% is generally a signifier that i've squeezed as much as possible out of the game content.

If the game is an unknown quantity - I also always try to research and do some legwork before buying a game I know nothing of, mainly to look at things like critical reception, first impressions and so on.

I will never tend to actively avoid a game that looks good because the chances of the platinum are rare or impossible in line with my gaming skill and available time. At the very least though, i'll try to finish the main gameplay in those cases. But honestly, i've never seen the point in wasting finite time on a game that is or ends up being a unenjoyable to play.

I'll also never purposefully seek out duplicating trophy lists from different regions or really shitty dank games which net a platinum in a matter of hours. As far as I care about my gaming stats - i do like to try and keep my numbers as pure as possible.

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

It's no measure of anything other than how much time you have on your hands.

But then like you said someone a rank higher than you had around 10 percent completion. I don't consider anybody to be a trophy hunter with that low of a percentage. If anything, people who hover around 10 - 40 percent completion are casual gamers in my view. Usually don't finish their games, and usually move on to another game if something is too difficult or frustrating.

I stopped caring after the Nintendo Wii.

The Wii was fun when it came out, had a great experience with friends and family especially with the motion sensor most games were using. But when Nintendo decided to come out with another Wii (the Wii U) that's when I dropped them. They have a dedicated fanbase and are probably the only major company left that has stayed true to it's roots. Microsoft and Sony have both strayed so far from the path they once set foot on it's almost unrecognizable to see what they've become today.

Between that, the 8000 hours I spent on Runescape and trophy hunting I think I'm going to settle with trophy hunting. The only reason for me to buy a Switch would be for the exclusives. Anything else I don't care about.

I never broken my TV, but I've broken a fair share of controllers. I don't understand people who can't grasp what it feels like to rage quit or feel very frustrated over a game. I'm sure we've all been there at some point.

I say it measures time AND money because to be in the top spots you need money not only for all the shitty games, but also to pay other people to play the games for you.

The thing wih Nintendo is that I like most of their franchises, so I can blindly buy their consoles to play the next Smash, Zelda, Mario Kart, Metroid, Mario, etc. On top of that, all their games are always complete on release and, if there is DLC, it is never anti-consumer. Also, now with Sony's stupid policy of censoring everything they are pissing off a lot of actual gamers to cater to people who buy 1 game per year, so Nintendo with their more open approach are getting the uncensored versions of games (or at least as uncensored as consoles can be, PC usually has the full nudity versions and stuff).

I have never been angry because of a game, but I also do not play bad games that are frustratng and hard for the wrong reasons. Most I've been is annoyed when I'm at the mercy of RNGsus and the thing I need is not happening.

If a game is difficult, but fair, I don't get angry because I know it is my bad. If anything I get a little mad with myself for fucking up something I know I can do.

9 hours ago, AndresLionheart said:

I say it measures time AND money because to be in the top spots you need money not only for all the shitty games, but also to pay other people to play the games for you.

That's my point. I mentioned before they have team accounts. Pay others to play games for them. That $1000 price tag for Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 isn't looking so good after all.

This in effect makes the entire leaderboards pointless.

9 hours ago, AndresLionheart said:

The thing wih Nintendo is that I like most of their franchises, so I can blindly buy their consoles to play the next Smash, Zelda, Mario Kart, Metroid, Mario, etc. On top of that, all their games are always complete on release and, if there is DLC, it is never anti-consumer. Also, now with Sony's stupid policy of censoring everything they are pissing off a lot of actual gamers to cater to people who buy 1 game per year, so Nintendo with their more open approach are getting the uncensored versions of games (or at least as uncensored as consoles can be, PC usually has the full nudity versions and stuff).

There's a fine line between censoring stuff that shouldn't be censored, and censoring what is obviously porn, boobies and anything involving sex in a video game.

To this day there are only are a very small handful of games that have been given the Adults Only rating by ESRB. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft all refuse to allow AO rated games onto their systems.

The problem I see is because Sony has so much dominance over this console generation, I feel they have become greedy and therefore they can enforce policies that they would otherwise never even consider had they actually have competition.

Look at Microsoft. They have lagged behind in sales but as a result they have become more consumer friendly. Sony in contrast has become less consumer friendly, certainly not the same company they were back in May 2011 when their entire network was shut down. They offered free games as a result of the lack of online gameplay due to the service being out, and I definitely remember Sony having a very rough start last gen with their Playstation 3. They care about nothing more than censoring games and advertising the PS4 Pro every chance they get. The PS4 Slim barely gets any mention.

If it wasn't for trophies, some games on Playstation Plus and the fact that I've already invested three years into trophy hunting, I would be reconsidering my gaming platforms. But I have too much of a backlog and too much money spent on my consoles and games to just drop everything at this point.

Edited by Spaz

I only play games that I'm interested in including the odd easy point and click. Though I find the point and clicks are trying to tell a broader story and sometimes the puzzles are extremely vague and get in the way, so I generally have no problem just using a guide to go through it quicker. 

The funny thing is that I'm a 25 year old female who has a thing for children's games, but I don't play many because holy hell they are waaaay too expensive for what they are: a few hours worth of cheap gameplay. But will I let other people's opinions deter me from playing what I want? Hell no. My boyfriend laughed when I said I was excited that the My Riding Stables game is finally on the NA store, but I don't care. One of favourite games back in the day was a Barbie horse riding sim on the PC. Gaming is a hobby for ME to enjoy; I don't do it for anyone else.

Edited by coldsphinx93
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, coldsphinx93 said:

I only play games that I'm interested in including the odd easy point and click. Though I find the point and clicks are trying to tell a broader story and sometimes the puzzles are extremely vague and get in the way, so I generally have no problem just using a guide to go through it quicker. 

I enjoy the ones that involve crime or any kind of investigation. 

Throughly enjoyed both Sherlock Holmes games I played that use the point and click genre to expand to a newer audience. 

But I also love the old LucasArts games and Sierra On-Line games, if only because I loved them growing up as a kid. Thimbleweed Park is definitely on my wishlist and I hope to get that in the coming months. 

Unfortunately as I tried to explain to some others, people take trophies far too seriously. 

• Like 1

@NekoRave well... someone broke.

As with anything in life that you do in public, you are gonna be judged for it. It is on us to be thicked skinned enough to brush it off.

There are things that people do in public that I don't like, but they are free to do so. If someone scratches his ass I'm gonna see him as gross, but he can do it if he wants. I'm not gonna call him out for it because I'm not that kind of person, but someone may call him "dirty" because he is not going by what is seen as "correct" behavior.

Playing 3000 games and only completing 12% of that is seen as the incorrect behavior around here. Your profile is public so you are gonna be judged by what you show to the public. It is on you to brush if off as you should because some stranger's opinion is worth jack shit if you know you aren't doing anything wrong, which you aren't.

You'd think it would be on other to not be assholes, but we know that's never gonna happen, so each one of us has to make their own difference for themselves.

I grew up with games, in an age when games were seen only as toys for kids. People always looked down upon it, but I never gave 3 shits about the other kids. I did my thing, enjoyed what I liked and never cared about what the rest thought about it.

Aaaanyway... how did you end with 3000 games though? I played games all my life and I still don't think I even played 1000 so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NekoRave said:

Long story how I ended up with 3,000 games.

A lot of personal stuff happened on my life, I'm no longer a soon to be husband or father so I invested money that was put aside for a life with my daughter who doesnt exist anymore and my future wife who is gone.

Anyways yeah I have a backlog, but it doesnt mean I want daily volume comments about % because whether its public or not it doesnt give people an honest right to try to dismantle someone's accomplishments or attempt to mock them and whatnot, its toxic imo.

And its pretty much why my SIG is what it is, I got tired of it.

I hope you're doing ok now!

• Like 1

On 16/11/2018 at 0:54 PM, AndresLionheart said:

If someone scratches his ass I'm gonna see him as gross, but he can do it if he wants. I'm not gonna call him out for it because I'm not that kind of person, but someone may call him "dirty" because he is not going by what is seen as "correct" behavior.

Playing 3000 games and only completing 12% of that is seen as the incorrect behavior around here.

That comparison doesn't work. The former is disgusting and makes others feel uncomfortable. The latter is just a style of trophy hunting. There are many rights and wrongs in public. Aside from hacking, there is no right or wrong way to earn trophies - a trophy collection isn't going to cause anyone any grief. 

Edited by Midnightwards666
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 4:54 AM, AndresLionheart said:

@NekoRave well... someone broke.

As with anything in life that you do in public, you are gonna be judged for it. It is on us to be thicked skinned enough to brush it off.

There are things that people do in public that I don't like, but they are free to do so. If someone scratches his ass I'm gonna see him as gross, but he can do it if he wants. I'm not gonna call him out for it because I'm not that kind of person, but someone may call him "dirty" because he is not going by what is seen as "correct" behavior.

Playing 3000 games and only completing 12% of that is seen as the incorrect behavior around here. Your profile is public so you are gonna be judged by what you show to the public. It is on you to brush if off as you should because some stranger's opinion is worth jack shit if you know you aren't doing anything wrong, which you aren't.

You'd think it would be on other to not be assholes, but we know that's never gonna happen, so each one of us has to make their own difference for themselves.

I grew up with games, in an age when games were seen only as toys for kids. People always looked down upon it, but I never gave 3 shits about the other kids. I did my thing, enjoyed what I liked and never cared about what the rest thought about it.

Aaaanyway... how did you end with 3000 games though? I played games all my life and I still don't think I even played 1000 so far.

Not necessarily true.

I knew plenty of adults back in the 1990s who played video games. The difference between then and now is video games were mostly seen as a niche activity. My own dad who is now in his mid 60s used to play some Goldeneye 007 with me for fun, and because of him I was exposed to a lot of computer games including Diablo, Starcraft and Simcity 3000.

The people who looked down upon video games were people like Jon Lieberman who tried to ban violent video games after the whole Mortal Kombat/DOOM controversy that took place back in the day. Didn't stop video game developers from making Duke Nukem 3D, which was the the first computer game I played that featured half naked women showing off tits, gore and limbs flying off enemies, and showing a lot of sexual references.

A lot of parents didn't understand video games and just saw them as toys.

38 minutes ago, Midnightwards666 said:

That comparison doesn't work. The former is disgusting and makes others feel uncomfortable. The latter is just a style of trophy hunting. There are many rights and wrongs in public. Aside from hacking, there is no right or wrong way to earn trophies - a trophy collection isn't going to cause anyone any grief. 

You're still going to be judged if you get your account reviewed by a YouTuber.