how difficult is this part of the collection compared to the first?

RJP_X

X2 and X3 were the ones i faced difficulties with since they were only my second time playing those in years. X3 especially more so, glad you could use Z saber on final Sigma battles. X4 my difficulty was only for a bit during the final Sigma battles with the game only giving you two sub tanks.

i've been nervous to start the second collection because i hear a lot of complaints for every game. for the series i only beat X1-X6. never played X7 or X8. however the platinum percentage is pretty high at 22% of achievers, despite a lot of the grief i hear players have with the second collection. i might just do this collection 1-2 games at a time while i'm working on my other big game, in comparison to when i blazed through the first collection. as i'm sure this one is more time consuming without password features.

In the 2nd collection these are really the only ones that are annoying per game. I'm not even remotely good at platformers so some of these were probably just harder to me than others.

X5:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/7888-mega-man-x-legacy-collection-2/7-out-of-the-frying-pan

^completely based on luck. There's nothing you can do about this trophy except pray.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/7888-mega-man-x-legacy-collection-2/12-youre-quick-man

^pain in the ass simply because I wasn't aware that there was a slow down option, not the Dark Hold ability, to help with this one lol.

X6:

I don't think anything in this game is troublesome. Not that I can remember at least.

X7:

This whole game sucks. It's difficulty stems mainly from just shitty movements and stage design. These trophies were the only bothersome ones.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/7888-mega-man-x-legacy-collection-2/29-smooth-operator

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/7888-mega-man-x-legacy-collection-2/36-who-rescues-the-rescuer

I believe both are missable, but Smooth Operator doesn't need a full run iirc...just need to know which call signs you missed and where. 

X8:

This game, to me, had some tough stage designs. 

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/7888-mega-man-x-legacy-collection-2/47-rival-revival

^took me a bit to do this one but it's more confusing than anything.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/7888-mega-man-x-legacy-collection-2/48-dln003

^this trophy is not hard at all...it's getting to the bastard that is tough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

In the 2nd collection these are really the only ones that are annoying per game. I'm not even remotely good at platformers so some of these were probably just harder to me than others.

X5:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/7888-mega-man-x-legacy-collection-2/7-out-of-the-frying-pan

^completely based on luck. There's nothing you can do about this trophy except pray.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/7888-mega-man-x-legacy-collection-2/12-youre-quick-man

^pain in the ass simply because I wasn't aware that there was a slow down option, not the Dark Hold ability, to help with this one lol.

X6:

I don't think anything in this game is troublesome. Not that I can remember at least.

X7:

This whole game sucks. It's difficulty stems mainly from just shitty movements and stage design. These trophies were the only bothersome ones.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/7888-mega-man-x-legacy-collection-2/29-smooth-operator

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/7888-mega-man-x-legacy-collection-2/36-who-rescues-the-rescuer

I believe both are missable, but Smooth Operator doesn't need a full run iirc...just need to know which call signs you missed and where. 

X8:

This game, to me, had some tough stage designs. 

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/7888-mega-man-x-legacy-collection-2/47-rival-revival

^took me a bit to do this one but it's more confusing than anything.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/7888-mega-man-x-legacy-collection-2/48-dln003

^this trophy is not hard at all...it's getting to the bastard that is tough.

well that makes me feel better, i'm not good either, pretty much the first collection i just took damage, and then gave it back. i'm definitely not pro dodge and block in games.

Just now, RJP_X said:

well that makes me feel better, i'm not good either, pretty much the first collection i just took damage, and then gave it back. i'm definitely not pro dodge and block in games.

Then you'll likely have the same problem as I did in X6. By far I think one of the hardest bosses in the series appears in that game. I can say that with confidence for myself because I didn't struggle as much with anyone else except maybe 1 and I don't remember the name or the game he was in. ? (there were platforms going up and down, and every time you destroyed one of the bosses weapons he'd move a bit closer. It was X2 or X3.)

Some of these games can be done the long way by doing multiple runs. Ultimate Armor on Rookie and then a normal run for the 1-2 trophies that need to be done without Rookie Hunter Mode on.

14 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Then you'll likely have the same problem as I did in X6. By far I think one of the hardest bosses in the series appears in that game. I can say that with confidence for myself because I didn't struggle as much with anyone else except maybe 1 and I don't remember the name or the game he was in. 1f602.png (there were platforms going up and down, and every time you destroyed one of the bosses weapons he'd move a bit closer. It was X2 or X3.)

Some of these games can be done the long way by doing multiple runs. Ultimate Armor on Rookie and then a normal run for the 1-2 trophies that need to be done without Rookie Hunter Mode on.

oh one of those 3 guys that had Zero parts in the final stages of X2. he had the 4 cannons with the spikes and platforms? xD i basically used 3 or all 4 sub tanks for that fight, after completing the stage i went back and filled sub tanks. did you have a difficult time with X3? the damage you took in that game was unreal, i basically had to plot out how i was going to get as many upgrades as possible without fighting too many bosses. after enough upgrades it got easier, up until the hardest part, the sigma battles. the upgraded buster was absolute crap in that game too, to make things more ridiculous.

1 minute ago, RJP_X said:

oh one of those 3 guys that had Zero parts in the final stages of X2. he had the 4 cannons with the spikes and platforms? xD i basically used 3 or all 4 sub tanks for that fight, after completing the stage i went back and filled sub tanks. did you have a difficult time with X3? the damage you took in that game was unreal, i basically had to plot out how i was going to get as many upgrades as possible without fighting too many bosses. after enough upgrades it got easier, up until the hardest part, the sigma battles. the upgraded buster was absolute crap in that game too, to make things more ridiculous.

I had never played X2 or X3 before so they were something I had to get used to. I would say I struggled as much as I had anticipated lol. Even with the password shortcuts you could take.

On 10/24/2018 at 4:18 PM, RJP_X said:

X2 and X3 were the ones i faced difficulties with since they were only my second time playing those in years. X3 especially more so, glad you could use Z saber on final Sigma battles. X4 my difficulty was only for a bit during the final Sigma battles with the game only giving you two sub tanks.

i've been nervous to start the second collection because i hear a lot of complaints for every game. for the series i only beat X1-X6. never played X7 or X8. however the platinum percentage is pretty high at 22% of achievers, despite a lot of the grief i hear players have with the second collection. i might just do this collection 1-2 games at a time while i'm working on my other big game, in comparison to when i blazed through the first collection. as i'm sure this one is more time consuming without password features.

I was in a similar situation when I started the collection, and I struggled in the same exact places.

Personally, I really regret starting the 2nd collection. I will say that if you can get through X3, you'll find that X5-X7 (haven't played X8 yet) have similar annoyances, but each is unique to their respective game. So in other words, if you can get the plat in the 1st collection, you should be able to handle what the 2nd collection throws at you.

The 2nd collection is extremely irritating in terms of basic design though. Here's a bit of a breakdown of X5-X7 at least:

X5 - It's probably the most similar to X3 in its overall "difficulty", but it's really the trophy requirements that are the real insult. Avatar_Of_Battle pointed out the "You're Quick, Man" trophy, which I agree with (although I have no idea what the "slow down option" is he mentioned). I personally didn't have an issue with "Out of the Frying Pan", but I did have a lot of issues with getting the Falcon Helmet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNFh0QW5wvU

Although Rookie Hunter makes it easier (by slowing the screen-scrolling down), the Falcon Armor does make parts of the game on Normal a lot easier, so it's still wise to pick it up. Acquiring the helmet takes a lot of trial-and-error (just like You're Quick, Man), and the bike controls are a little sluggish at times.

It was also really frustrating (for me) to earn the "The Trick Is Not Minding" trophy, but that was partially because I did it on Normal. The issue with that trophy is the Gaea armor is probably the worst in the entire X series, and you're forced to wall dash-jump with it to complete the stage (unless there's some trick I'm not aware of). The issue with doing that, is that they changed the functionality somehow to make it near impossible to do a wall dash-jump. You basically have to resort to pressing 3 buttons at the same time, and the game has severe issues registering it for whatever reason. The reason why it's such a problem, is that while you're trying to jump, you're getting shot at by about 4 different things.

X6 - X6 isn't really difficult per se, but it just has its moments of being really annoying. It's kind of like...the designers were attempting to be creative, but then they realized they didn't really have any good ideas, so they just mixed things in that ultimately didn't work.

One of the final bosses for example, was a huge headache:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VWEtn6ZV04

The problem with the fight is that is that it's really random (the types of orbs are randomized), and the platforming is just immensely awkward. It's not a difficult fight at all, it can just get so irritating because it's very easy to get damaged, and the fight drags on for a significant amount of time. Sometimes I started to slip due to sheer boredom more than anything else. To make matters worse, the stage he is on has a boss prior to him. That boss needs to be damaged in a very specific way (once you figure it out, it's a joke of a fight), but he's just a gigantic damage sponge, which again, is a hassle. So if you die, or end up using your E-Tanks on the last boss (and failing just due to stupid stuff), you have to redo the entire stage (which is also not very enjoyable), and kill the damage sponge boss again.

Another example is the Metal Shark stage. On the second part of the stage, you're on moving conveyor belt, while a ceiling comes down at fixed intervals. It's really not difficult to navigate at all, but it basically boils down to "move 5 steps, stop, move 5 steps, stop, repeat" up until the very very last bit of it where you have to do a really tricky jump-dash, that's really easy to mess up. The problem is, the checkpoint is way back at the beginning, so if you mess up, you gotta do the whole "red light, green light" thing over, which gets really old, really fast.

For whatever reason, it's also extremely inconsistent. Because you can start the game with Ultimate Armor (and that's highly recommended), you can breeze through the first 8 boss fights in a matter of seconds. Then you get to a boss fight like the ones I mentioned above, and it's like "wtf, it's way specific and takes forever". The levels as well are really inconsistent, as some of them only have a few screens before the boss (like Shield Sheldon), or are just really simple to complete in comparison to others.

X7 - It's as bad as people say it is. I've barely played the thing so far (maybe for an hour or so), and I despise it. The mechanics are clunky and awkward, the checkpoints are probably the worst in the series (and enemies never drop HP), and enemies do a significant amount of damage. And the whole "rescuing" thing is pretty ridiculous (and is going to require a lot of restarts). Again, it's not the fact that it's overly "difficult", it's still manageable, it's just very groan-inducing.

As a final note, don't get fooled by a high plat %, particularly on this site, as the data is extremely skewed. Both collections are obviously not very popular, so less people having registered the game onto their profile is going to make it look different. Then consider that it's a port, and I would guess that a lot of people that do have it registered have probably played the games before (like myself with X-X4), which means they already have experience with it. Percentages aren't always indicative of difficulty; a few examples of the reverse are Way of the Samurai 3, Samurai Warriors 4-2, Dynasty Warriors 8, and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2. All of these are Ultra Rare, and almost every one of them only has a 3% plat rate (on this site), despite not being that difficult to achieve.

TLDR version is - The 1st collection is decent enough, and despite its annoyances at times, it seems a little more balanced. The 2nd collection should be ignored; with my experience with it so far, there's very little that's actually fun about it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Whirled03 said:

X5 - It's probably the most similar to X3 in its overall "difficulty", but it's really the trophy requirements that are the real insult. Avatar_Of_Battle pointed out the "You're Quick, Man" trophy, which I agree with (although I have no idea what the "slow down option" is he mentioned). I personally didn't have an issue with "Out of the Frying Pan", but I did have a lot of issues with getting the Falcon Helmet:

The slow down method was mentioned by someone else here. Since it was after I had done it I never got to test it out, but apparently there's an option to change the game speed which helps. :dunno: As for Out of the Frying Pan, I didn't have an issue either but I remember more than a few people here having to go after that trophy for a long time simply because it's RNG based and it apparently didn't matter what you did to influence it.

18 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

The slow down method was mentioned by someone else here. Since it was after I had done it I never got to test it out, but apparently there's an option to change the game speed which helps. :dunno: As for Out of the Frying Pan, I didn't have an issue either but I remember more than a few people here having to go after that trophy for a long time simply because it's RNG based and it apparently didn't matter what you did to influence it.

Oh I see, that would make it easier. I dunno how you would slow it down either though.

I guess I just got lucky with my Out of the Frying Pan trophy, since my first shot with all 4 parts was successful. I do remember that you could press R1 on the Stage Select screen to see your % chance at a successful hit (I think with all 4 parts it shows up as 70%), but does that percentage not make a difference?

That seems like it would be really odd to program something in that doesn't in fact do anything lol but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, given how bizarre the X series is.

I finished X7 today, and honestly, the trophies weren't as bad as I thought they were going to be. I almost want to say that, in terms of difficulty, X7 might be one of the easier ones (it starts out kind of rough though), but it's still really poorly put together. I just started X8, and it's certainly got some tough platforming sections, but it's not too horrible so far. Personally, I think X6 is going to be my most hated one of the series. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whirled03 said:

Oh I see, that would make it easier. I dunno how you would slow it down either though.

It's probably somewhere in the settings.

I guess I just got lucky with my Out of the Frying Pan trophy, since my first shot with all 4 parts was successful. I do remember that you could press R1 on the Stage Select screen to see your % chance at a successful hit (I think with all 4 parts it shows up as 70%), but does that percentage not make a difference?

That seems like it would be really odd to program something in that doesn't in fact do anything lol but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, given how bizarre the X series is.

From everything I've read others saying that percentage doesn't mean anything. Something about it being predetermined and reloading not working either...it's been a bit so info isn't as handy in my brain lol. (I tend to forget specifics of games really fast.) 

I finished X7 today, and honestly, the trophies weren't as bad as I thought they were going to be. I almost want to say that, in terms of difficulty, X7 might be one of the easier ones (it starts out kind of rough though), but it's still really poorly put together. I just started X8, and it's certainly got some tough platforming sections, but it's not too horrible so far. Personally, I think X6 is going to be my most hated one of the series. 

Yeah X7's difficulty is mainly just due to it being a bad game. Trophies aren't horrible it's just missing those 2 I mentioned makes it tough simply because you have to play longer than anyone really wants to. ? 

Finished up X8, and I take it back, I dunno if I hated X8 more or X6 more. I can safely say now that I hated the entire 2nd collection lol

The only thing impressive was how it managed to be stretched into 4 more games, as it really should have just ended with X4. Once X5 started, they started to experiment with different things and just made it more of a mess as time went on.

It's really too bad, as I was actually somewhat enjoying X8 at first, but again, poor ideas in design made me hate it as time went on. It had a lot of instant-death mechanics in the stages just like X6 did, but changing the Retry function was a bad idea in conjunction with that. Just like X6, it had certain moments where it was like "lol f u" at the very last of it, whereas the rest of the stage is fairly manageable. So if you die multiple times at that one particular part, you end up wasting your time going through it all over again.

It also kind of seemed like they tried their best to prevent the player from finding the extra items, by making them a hassle to get. Particularly with Troia Base, with that one little platforming section right at the tail end that is very easy to mess up on, and if you die, you lose your "score"? What a stupid idea. Granted it is for the Metal Generator, but that's still ridiculous.

Other stages just wore out their welcome very fast (did Central White really need to be as long as it was?), and you could tell that they lengthened certain sections because the stage would be extremely short otherwise.

With how the series ended up, I am not surprised that we haven't seen another in almost 20 years.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

yeah, just started recently. X5, and X6 didn't go 'too' bad. first time playing X7 and its absolutely frustrating. a lot of the points you guys brought up, i spent like 3 hours on the fire level mostly on saving the reploids, cannot beat the BURN BURN BURN asshole for the life of me. gotta come back to this stage because i'm just going to try to save reploids and get upgrades for now. maybe unlocking X will make a difference lol. 

i have no idea how you can beat him with axl and zero, you jump on top of the moving dude, then him and his clones constantly rape you to oblivion on its back. then if you try to get in position where he stays close to the head and you start shooting with axl, bullets barely do any damage.(as i think the way boss HP works in this game is that the green bar fills up?) however, if the missiles hit you slightly out of position, and axl falls on his back, the game has a huge knock back ratio, well if you fall back to the things back, him and his clones keep rape jumping you and there's no escaping that predicament it seems.

1 hour ago, RJP_X said:

yeah, just started recently. X5, and X6 didn't go 'too' bad. first time playing X7 and its absolutely frustrating. a lot of the points you guys brought up, i spent like 3 hours on the fire level mostly on saving the reploids, cannot beat the BURN BURN BURN asshole for the life of me. gotta come back to this stage because i'm just going to try to save reploids and get upgrades for now. maybe unlocking X will make a difference lol. 

i have no idea how you can beat him with axl and zero, you jump on top of the moving dude, then him and his clones constantly rape you to oblivion on its back. then if you try to get in position where he stays close to the head and you start shooting with axl, bullets barely do any damage.(as i think the way boss HP works in this game is that the green bar fills up?) however, if the missiles hit you slightly out of position, and axl falls on his back, the game has a huge knock back ratio, well if you fall back to the things back, him and his clones keep rape jumping you and there's no escaping that predicament it seems.

X really does break the game. He's much better than Zero and Axl and I think you can sorta loop the burn guy with one of X's attacks.

13 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

X really does break the game. He's much better than Zero and Axl and I think you can sorta loop the burn guy with one of X's attacks.

yeah, thankfully out of the other stages i've played the reploids are easier to get. although there's 3 other stages to get them in for me.

also, since you get X late, who i have now, is it alright if hes gotten none of the health upgrades since i went on a reploid and heart tank collectathon with zero and axl? makes me concerned with X literally having none of the upgrades the other characters have since you get most of them, with them. :c damn, in that case they should have given X a buff of sort since you cant get him until after you get half the reploids, or in the least have shared the health between all 3 characters. 

Edited by RJP_X

2 hours ago, RJP_X said:

yeah, thankfully out of the other stages i've played the reploids are easier to get. although there's 3 other stages to get them in for me.

also, since you get X late, who i have now, is it alright if hes gotten none of the health upgrades since i went on a reploid and heart tank collectathon with zero and axl? makes me concerned with X literally having none of the upgrades the other characters have since you get most of them, with them. :c damn, in that case they should have given X a buff of sort since you cant get him until after you get half the reploids, or in the least have shared the health between all 3 characters. 

It might depending on the type of player you are. Personally I had restarted the game and went for the easiest reploids possible to unlock X and then upgraded him fully. Zero is absolutely useless in this game really so extra stuff went to Axl.

After finishing the 2 collections, I find the first collection a bit harder thnks to X3 trophy stuffs but I love it. The second  collection is a bit easier IMO but is more of annoying thanks to X7 and beginning of X8. Well, I might be biased in X5 and X6 since I played it before so I was a bit used to it(and enjoy them tbh). 

2 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

It might depending on the type of player you are. Personally I had restarted the game and went for the easiest reploids possible to unlock X and then upgraded him fully. Zero is absolutely useless in this game really so extra stuff went to Axl.

damn, i've been using zero to get all the upgrade chips on for the trophy. i think there will be 4 extra ones left so i'll put those in X's powers, i'll try to get the rest of the heart/reploids with X for those upgrades too.

2 hours ago, JaM said:

After finishing the 2 collections, I find the first collection a bit harder thnks to X3 trophy stuffs but I love it. The second  collection is a bit easier IMO but is more of annoying thanks to X7 and beginning of X8. Well, I might be biased in X5 and X6 since I played it before so I was a bit used to it(and enjoy them tbh). 

yeah i didn't have many issues with X5 and X6. X5 the enigma trophy worked after beating the first four bosses, so the hour system was no longer a concern. i didn't have problems with the laser trophy either, although after you fight black devil which was the hardest thing in the game for me, but overall X5 and X6 had the easier sigma battles in the series. X6, i had issues with certain stages, mainly the Gate ones, but everything is doable with ultimate armor, ESPECIALLY since you're ALLOWED to play X6 on easy, unlike X5.(in X5 you needed normal for the 8 upgrades.) so most bosses i spammed supernova or whatever its called lol. 

X7 only has normal and hard difficulty, and i noticed the one for clearing X8 is the only one that says you need to clear on normal, with rookie hunter turned off. so i imagine it has an easy difficulty, but its not allowed for that game. 

• 11 months later...
On 10/27/2018 at 10:40 PM, Whirled03 said:

X6 - X6 isn't really difficult per se, but it just has its moments of being really annoying. It's kind of like...the designers were attempting to be creative, but then they realized they didn't really have any good ideas, so they just mixed things in that ultimately didn't work.

I beg to differ. X6 is a hot fucking mess that is difficult as fuck and has some of the most infuriating level design I’ve seen in any 2-D platformer game. 

Why do I have to fight the donut miniboss several times? Why make a horrible compacter section with a conveyor belt that has absolutely no checkpoints in between? 

This will be officially the hardest “uncommon” platinum trophy I will get.

• 1 year later...

Having just platted the first collection, I decided to give the second a shot (only played the SNES games before) and holy hell this is bad. X5 isn't awful, just kind of unmemorable, and at least the gimmicks don't completely ruin the game unlike the next one. Hardest part was beating the speed bike level with all the pieces for the capsule, at least until I discovered the slow mo option, which doesn't disqualify any trophies and also helps with the Black Devil.

X6 protip - don't even bother turning on rookie mode, most of your deaths will come from being crushed and rookie doesn't help. Go to the main menu for X6, set it to easy for less enemies (don't need to be on normal for any grinding like X5), slow speed to make some of the compactor sections easier, and then have fun running straight into a wall. If you have the ultimate armor you can try going straight to the final boss stages once you beat Max since the only thing I really needed up there was subtanks.

Certain tricks can make some stages easier though, like charging the Ray Arrow to take out the Magma Blade rolling enemy when you have to climb. If you can find the hitstun item you can take a hit from enemies to activate some extra i-frames for longer than usual to get past some spikes. Shadow Armor can clear the first Gate stage pretty easily, and that's about all it's useful for.

For Gate I literally just filled up my tanks (somehow, no real good way to fill them), set the Life Recovery item on which basically gives you a third tank, and set the fire button to rapid fire. With the hitstun item you just let him sit right by you, hold down the fire button, and forget about it until you get low on health, and I only had to use two tanks. Fighting him legit is not fun so don't even worry about it.

I'm somewhat dreading X7, and buying this collection is beginning to look like a mistake, but I feel like X6 has to be the peak of awfulness.

Edited by PhantomWarcry