BG0J2Qx.png
OpenCritic - 97

Β 

sCWC9QT.png

Β 

Spoiler

Β 

GameInformer 10/10

Rockstar Games has outdone itself again with Red Dead Redemption II. The up-close portrayal of the outlaw Van der Linde gang’s unraveling is a compelling companion story that blends seamlessly with the original game, and depth and breadth of the open world is a technical triumph that every gamer should experience.

Β 

IGN 10/10

Red Dead Redemption 2 is a game of rare quality; a meticulously polished open world ode to the outlaw era.

Β 

Playstation Lifestyle 10/10

Whether you’re engaging in a massive shootout in a saloon or quietly enjoying a moment of reflection while fishing on a lake, it all feels like a part of Morgan’s life. The level of detail is unsurpassed, and it’s a game that wants you to take it slow and enjoy those small details. Rockstar took some risks in eliminating traditional gaming conveniences, but everything pays off in service of the greater experience. Red Dead Redemption 2 sets a new benchmark in detail, immersion, and cohesion that will be heralded for years to come. It’s just about as perfect as a game can get.

Β 

The Sixth Axis 10/10

The hype being created for Red Dead Redemption 2 and the expectations of the passionate fan-base made a part of me believe that Rockstar Games could never deliver on all of their many promises. They did, and then some. From the feeling of a realistic living world they’ve created to the emotional bonds you build,Β Red Dead Redemption 2 is the video game experience of this generation.

Β 

DualShockers 10/10

Red Dead Redemption 2 may just signal the dawn of a new era for open-world games, and it's an experience that I have no doubt players will be investing tens (if not hundreds) of hours into its immense, deep world and completing its story full of action, suspense, and deeply investing character moments.

Β 

GamingTrend 10/10

Red Dead Redemption 2 raises the bar for sandbox adventure games. It's organic in a way almost unseen in any genre, creating an authentic open world that is as cohesive as it is compelling. This title will set the bar for action adventure games for years to come.

Β 

GamesRadar+ 10/10

One of the top three open-worlds of all time, and the best game Rockstar has ever made. An all-time Old West masterpiece.

Β 

We Got This Covered 10/10

Red Dead Redemption 2 is an immense, breathtaking experience that will be treasured for years to come.

Press-Start.auΒ 10/10

Red Dead Redemption 2 is a triumph in world-building, character craft and downright skulduggery. Being bad has never felt so good as Rockstar toe the realism line while still keeping their sharp, trademark tongue in cheek. It's the keen attention to detail where Rockstar succeeds and this outlaw prequel comfortably outperforms their best works and in time, I believe, will be regarded as a once in a generation game.

Β 

The Digital Fix 10/10

Red Dead Redemption 2 takes everything that made the first so spectacular and elevates it to a new level. It boasts an enthralling story, coupled with rock solid gameplay, and is perhaps one of the best games ever made.

Β 

DarkStation 10/10

What it comes down to is Rockstar’s intent to build a strongly realized and true to life facsimile of the 1890s β€” which they’ve done extraordinary well. So well, in fact, that I can’t ever go back to the first game anymore because I'm completely spoiled by this game’s offerings. Red Dead Redemption II is video game escapism at its finest and you’d be hard-pressed to find anything else this year that comes close to matching its accomplishments

Β 

EasyAllies 10/10

Β 

Red Dead Redemption 2 tests the boundaries of interactive immersion. Few games look this good, play this well, and have this much to offer. It begs you to slow down, turn every page of its dramatic tale, and savor every last breathtaking detail. It challenges you to be prepared for anything, and make the right decisions when your choices matter most. Arthur Morgan is the lead, but the world takes center stage to pull you in. With a list of challenges left to finish and an online mode launching soon, we plan to spend a lot more time in Rockstar’s unparalleled recreation of the old west

Β 

PSX Extreme 10/10

A game of unparalleled scope and ambition, with breathtaking visuals, a broad-ranging but intimate story, and an incredible sense of identity and purpose, Red Dead Redemption 2 will go down as one of the greatest games of the generation, and perhaps video game history

Β 

Telegraph 10/10

This is a powerhouse of a video game, one of the finest, built by people at the top of their game and under intense pressure, lest we forget. As it is, they remind us of what games can be, creating a majestic sense of place and time and allowing you to play your role in the way only this medium allows. So, if you’ll excuse me, I have another train to, er, β€˜catch’.

Β 

Digital Chumps 10/10

Overall, Red Dead Redemption 2 is the perfect gaming experience, and what you were hoping for in the next iteration of the series. It has a rich story, deep gameplay, unrivaled visuals, and plenty of plains to explore

Β 

Stevivor 10/10

Rockstar Games continues to prove that when it comes to creating games, it’s the master at pushing the boundaries of what can be achieved
Β 

Β 

Twinfinite 10/10

Red Dead Redemption 2 is a landmark title for storytelling, open-world design, voice acting, and immersion in video games. It is certainly among the best games of this console generation, but that's not all. It should eventually go down as one of the greatest games of all-time

Β 

Playstation Universe 10/10

Red Dead Redemption 2 not only lives up to expectations, but it smashes them and feels like the missing half of a story we never knew was incomplete. Improving on its predecessor in every way that counts, it also reignites interest in its landmark prequel, enhancing the overall experience to an epic scale and giving gamers an odyssey quite unlike any other.

Β 

God is a Geek 10/10

There was never any doubt that Red Dead Redemption 2 was going to be good, but this is something special. A masterpiece that many will be talking about for decades to come

Β 

Wccftech 9.7/10

Red Dead Redemption 2 may not be perfect, but its minor shortcomings are like tiny blemishes on a stunningly beautiful face. In a way, they only serve as a reminder of how this world isn't made for perfection. Every single aspect of the game will put you into the very shoes of an outlaw roaming America with his gang as they try to escape the law long enough to make the money needed to disappear for good. It's an epic, memorable and engrossing tale which also elevates the open world genre to new heights with the brand new interaction system, a cast of memorable characters and a ton of high-quality content to play for a long time.

Β 

Destructoid 9.5/10

Red Dead Redemption 2 is the epitome of ambition andΒ like most things Rockstar, will meet the expectations associated with it. With all of the advancements since the lastΒ Red Dead and everything they've learned from Grand Theft Auto VΒ under their belt, the series is in a better place, able to provide a more natural and less gamey world to explore.

GameSpot 9/10

While Red Dead Redemption was mostly focused on John Marston's story, Red Dead 2 is about the entire Van der Linde gang--as a community, as an idea, and as the death rattle of the Wild West. It is about Arthur, too, but as the lens through which you view the gang, his very personal, very messy story supports a larger tale. Some frustrating systems and a predictable mission structure end up serving that story well, though it does take patience to get through them and understand why. Red Dead Redemption 2 is an excellent prequel, but it's also an emotional, thought-provoking story in its own right, and it's a world that is hard to leave when it's done.

Β 

VideoGamerΒ  9/10

Few worlds are as well-realised as the one Rockstar has created for Red Dead Redemption 2. Thanks to some wonderful scripting and stellar performances, the characters you randomly meet in the wild are captured as well as the ones you spend most of your days around camp. How do you follow Red Dead Redemption? You make Red Dead Redemption 2.

Β 

Video Chums 8.8/10

Red Dead Redemption 2 is a gorgeous and enormous open world game that you can easily get immersed in while the hours tick away. Its amazing visuals, intricate world, and realistic cast of characters make it a must-have game for this generation
Β 

Β 

Slant Magazine 7/10

Red Dead Redemption 2's evocative, often beautiful sense of place exists insofar as it is still convenient to the player, which harms some of the desperation and hardship the game means to convey.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

Nice!Β  As someone who preordered it, lots of 9/10 and 10/10's make me feel good.Β  Not tooΒ surprised though.Β  Prominent developer with stellar track record makes high profile open world title.Β  Who didn't see this coming? ;)Β  Rockstar is solid as it gets.

Β 

Β 

6 minutes ago, Venocide said:

People are currently embarrassing themselves on Twitter.Β Β 

Β 

You say this like people aren't always embarassing themselves on Twitter. xDΒ  And on every other possible channel/site/avenue in which to embarrass themselves.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

Some sites or magazines have this habit not to rate 10 as they considerΒ there’s no such thing as a perfect game. Gamekult.fr does the very same, an 8 rating from them is already quite good.

Β 

12 minutes ago, Venocide said:

Gamespot gave it a 9. No surprise, people are pissed off. 9 is not good enough apparently. People are currently embarrassing themselves on Twitter.Β Β 

Β 

No surprise, many people have trouble understanding not everyone thinks the way they do. It reminds me all the fuss when the Washington Post ratedΒ Uncharted 4 a disappointing 4/10...

Β 

Edited by Neef-GT5

Anyone who's read the Gamespot review would know that they have more criticisms then just "too much realism". They called the story predictable, and stated that there's a dissonance within the actions the protagonist takes. Still though, everyone's singing praises for this game, and even an 8-9/10 is still a great score. It's obviously impossible to make a game appeal to everyone after all.Β 

As exciting as it is when a new game I'm interested in scoresΒ 10/10 in droves... I'm always more interested in reading the 8/10 and 9/10's.Β  No game is perfect and I'm usually genuinely interested to see where people think these amazing games lose a step (as long as the criticisms are level headed and without agendas).

Β 

All of it is to be taken with a grain of salt though, I'll make my own judgments ultimately with an open mind when the game is in myΒ hands. ;)Β 

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

"PlayStation 4 - and latterly, PS4 Pro - have taken centre-stage in Red Dead Redemption 2's pre-release marketing campaign, meaning we have a pretty decent idea of how Rockstar's latest epic presents on Sony hardware. Today, we can discuss the Xbox One versions of the game, and the key takeaway is this: if you're looking for the very best RDR2 experience, Xbox One X is the go-to platform for this game. Rockstar's stunning technological achievement runs at native 4K on the X, and also delivers the smoothest performance. Bearing in mind just how far Rockstar is pushing current-gen hardware, that's a stunning achievement."

Β 

EuroGamer

Β 

Β 

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

As exciting as it is when a new game I'm interested in scoresΒ 10/10 in droves... I'm always more interested in reading the 8/10 and 9/10's.Β 

Β 

Agreed. It's nice to see what people didn't like about a game, even if it's the bestest game in the whole galactic universe (universal galaxy?).

6 hours ago, Neef-GT5 said:

Some sites or magazines have this habit not to rate 10 as they considerΒ there’s no such thing as a perfect game. Gamekult.fr does the very same, an 8 rating from them is already quite good.

Β 

Β 

No surprise, many people have trouble understanding not everyone thinks the way they do. It reminds me all the fuss when the Washington Post ratedΒ Uncharted 4 a disappointing 4/10...

Β 

Washington post gave uncharted 4 a 4/10?!? I would’ve given it at least a 5.6....

I've just read the review from my to-go gaming site and it got 94% which is like a 10/10 from them. There are only a few games (Bioshock 1, Super Mario Galaxy, GTA IV & SA, Heavy Rain) that got such high rankingΒ and the highest ever was 95% for Shenmue back in the day.Β 

Β 

In my eyes its safe to say that RDR2 delivers. I'll get it next Wednesday, when my long weekend starts. :)

Β 

Β 

Not surprised, but the 7/10 has a bitter "need clicks" taste. Not saying the reviewer did a bad job (I'm not planning to read it) but I scrolled through the comments and it's a total mess (a funny mess)

Β 

also I don't think you can compare the gamespot review score (which is still amazing) to the washington post uncharted review. the technical level of uc4 alone justifies a higher rating but I strongly believe nobody gives a sh!t about the washington post speaking about gaming

• Like 1

I do not care about the reviews in general, especially reviews that deal with Rdr2. After playing for nearly 600 hours with Red Dead Redemption, back far in 2011, I would have bought Rdr2 without any hesitation or someone who telling me "go buy it dude, it's a nice game". I already knew it would had been a nice game.

Β 

Β 

Edited by X_Wizi_X
  • Like 2