i just want to identify the types of sounds a PS4 slim should sound like?

RJP_X

awhile back i made the topic on how my kitten knocked over my ps4, although it was one of the least devastating of falls compared to others more tragic ones where their systems are still going. -_-

i tend to get OCD, panicky, and fixated on most things that seem unusual to me. however after owning the system for almost a year i want to clarify some of the sounds i hear are normal or not. the reason why i want to get into sounds is because i hear that the slim is suppose to be dead quiet. i have no experience with a regular ps4 so not sure if that statement goes by in comparison to the OG. 

alright, so i can hear my ps4 slim making noise about 10-12 feet from where it is, and where i am when i play it. its not extremely loud, but might sound like a low helicopter or motor type sound. its tough to describe what kind of sound it is, but i've noticed it for a few months, however it might have been making these sounds from the beginning and i'm just fixated on them as of that recent. also not sure if its normal to hear the disc run for about 5 minutes when playing a disc game before it stops and quiets down. sometimes when i play it makes the installing off of disc sound like when you first put a new disc in, although you've been playing that game for a few weeks, however the sound stops at appropriately the same time, 5 minutes. 

i can say that the system is giving me no issues, but want to make sure everything is in normal or if there's concern. thank you.

Even you know the truth, that if it's somewhat broken, the question is...what are you going to do? Are you going to buy a new one immmediately or just wait till it breaks down completely? or take it in for repair; maybe you still got warranty?

Spoiler

Something broke. Yup

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

4 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Even you know the truth, that if it's somewhat broken, the question is...what are you going to do? Are you going to buy a new one immmediately or just wait till it breaks down completely? or take it in for repair; maybe you still got warranty?

Reveal hidden contents

Something broke. Yup

i'm pretty sure it has warranty, since its almost been a year since purchase. maybe early december it was bought. 

do some of the things i've said sound like its broke? even though i've heard the system is suppose to be near silent, someone told me that it would be more concerning if the system didn't actually make any sound, in meaning the cooling fan isn't working. i'm confused because i believe its mostly reviews that say the system shouldn't make any noise. i've seen a video of a comparison test between an OG, slim, and pro and in that video the slim did make noise. i'm also not sure how to describe the sounds, a low helicopter or motor might not be accurate, and i might be confusing it with how the system is just suppose to sound. 

mine was on a tiny stand on the bottom part of my entertainment center with a soft cloth underneath it, and the kitten made it slide off of it in my sleep into the side of the entertainment center landing on the cloth. i just recently found out, my younger 9 year old brother who got his ps4 slim at the same time as me, that his he has on top of a dresser, fell to the floor because he tugged the charge wire and everything works on it. not sure how long ago that was but my younger sister told me about it. i've listened to his system and it sounds normal, and everything operates on it fine.

5 minutes ago, RJP_X said:

i'm pretty sure it has warranty, since its almost been a year since purchase. maybe early december it was bought. 

do some of the things i've said sound like its broke? even though i've heard the system is suppose to be near silent, someone told me that it would be more concerning if the system didn't actually make any sound, in meaning the cooling fan isn't working. i'm confused because i believe its mostly reviews that say the system shouldn't make any noise. i've seen a video of a comparison test between an OG, slim, and pro and in that video the slim did make noise. i'm also not sure how to describe the sounds, a low helicopter or motor might not be accurate, and i might be confusing it with how the system is just suppose to sound. 

mine was on a tiny stand on the bottom part of my entertainment center with a soft cloth underneath it, and the kitten made it slide off of it in my sleep into the side of the entertainment center landing on the cloth. i just recently found out, my younger 9 year old brother who got his ps4 slim at the same time as me, that his he has on top of a dresser, fell to the floor because he tugged the charge wire and everything works on it. not sure how long ago that was but my younger sister told me about it. i've listened to his system and it sounds normal, and everything operates on it fine.

I don't think warranty cover accidents and negligence, of course you could just not tell them you dropped it...It's really hard to say if your specific system have issues as sound varies a lot to everyone not to mention every system is different. From experience though... the more you think about it the more issues it may seem to have even if its completely "normal". I also believe in the more sound is better than no sound, at least you know the fan can spin at high rpms. If anything is broken or lose its probably the bluray drive, if that works, you are fine.

1 minute ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

I don't think warranty cover accidents and negligence, of course you could just not tell them you dropped it...It's really hard to say if your specific system have issues as sound varies a lot to everyone not to mention every system is different. From experience though... the more you think about it the more issues it may seem to have even if its completely "normal". I also believe in the more sound is better than no sound, at least you know the fan can spin at high rpms. If anything is broken or lose its probably the bluray drive, if that works, you are fine.

i've heard that when it comes to ps4s that sounds vary a lot to everyone. i'm not completely sure exactly what that means, unless like you said every system is different. i'm not sure, this is my first year with the system, i hear original ps4 is very loud, so when reviews say slim is silent. not sure if they just mean in comparison. since some people do say just that as well, that its just much quieter.

someday's when i'm more anxious and start to fixate on things more i think i hear the system louder since i'm more racy, but other days i'm more relaxed minded it doesn't seem as bad. i believe this site can relate on things as far as being over obsessive over things goes being a trophy hunting site and all, and in some peoples cases, like my own, it can be just that.

everything has been fine, don't want to curse it by saying that, and seems like i've been noticing sounds more since summer. however these sounds just might have always been present and my minds just over thinking into it to much, since half the time i have headphones in the controller when i'm playing. 

• 2 weeks later...

My PS4 slim has been fairly quiet except for when I recently installed AC: Syndicate.  PS4 fan went extremely loud and blu-ray drive seemed to be going crazy and was clicking, this continued for about 10-15mins after the install completed.  Then it just stopped and hasn't made a sound since.  Game plays fine, disc is fine, and the PS4 just gives off a low hum sound.

Like you though, RJP, I never even registered a sound coming from the PS4 until this happened and now when playing I find myself listening out to hear what sounds it makes.

As long as it still works and you can play then you should be fine.