Call of Cthulhu Trophy Thoughts

FranciRoosters

I'm kind of sad Frogwares didn't finish developing this, but Cyanide is good too :) Will have to look into getting this later, though I'm not a big fan of horror games.

As for the trophies, I do like the variety on offer for doing a bunch of different (missable?) things.

Edited by zadorvp

9 hours ago, turniplord said:

Why? Play it without a guide... I've played the game through twice now (I'm reviewing it but can't talk about it until the 30th) and you don't need to follow a guide - that'll just ruin the puzzles and parts of the game that get you to think about what you're doing. Sure, I missed a few collectables and I 'may' use a guide for my third playthrough - but if you instantly use a guide as soon as you begin then I don't see the point in playing the game - you don't need one.

I don't see the fascination with this. Once you earn the trophies, who cares? Nobody stares at them constantly, prints them out and puts them up on their wall, or emails them to all their mates to brag about how good the trophies look - do they?!

I don't think they 'couldn't be bothered' - most likely they just realised they'd rather spend time on the game than designing pretty images which would probably contain spoilers as soon as they pop up on a site like this (which is why the embargo is the day before and these have only popped just now).

Aside from the collectibles, are these mainly story related trophies, then? 

I like all the trophies except for not drinking once. I don't like when a trophy makes me miss a mechanic in the game l.

Edited by yowzagabowza

10 hours ago, Winkuru said:

Mild spoilers perhaps. I don't think there's anything game ruining there.

Nice, appreciate it! After looking at it I agree. From what I've read there's no combat but there are some stealth segments, which apparently suck, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, zadorvp said:

I'm kind of sad Frogwares didn't finish developing this, but Cyanide is good too :) Will have to look into getting this later, though I'm not a big fan of horror games.

As for the trophies, I do like the variety on offer for doing a bunch of different (missable?) things.

Frogwares is developing another Lovecraft-inspired game called The Sinking City, also looks great and it's a third person game which I vastly prefer, not to mention they have more experience with detective games so I'm also really looking forward to that one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, turniplord said:

Why? Play it without a guide... I've played the game through twice now (I'm reviewing it but can't talk about it until the 30th) and you don't need to follow a guide - that'll just ruin the puzzles and parts of the game that get you to think about what you're doing. Sure, I missed a few collectables and I 'may' use a guide for my third playthrough - but if you instantly use a guide as soon as you begin then I don't see the point in playing the game - you don't need one.

I don't see the fascination with this. Once you earn the trophies, who cares? Nobody stares at them constantly, prints them out and puts them up on their wall, or emails them to all their mates to brag about how good the trophies look - do they?!

I don't think they 'couldn't be bothered' - most likely they just realised they'd rather spend time on the game than designing pretty images which would probably contain spoilers as soon as they pop up on a site like this (which is why the embargo is the day before and these have only popped just now).

Because I'd like to have some guidance so I don't have to play a game 3 times and burn out on it and never want to play again like is happening with we happy few cause 1 trophy refuses to pop......

4 hours ago, yowzagabowza said:

Aside from the collectibles, are these mainly story related trophies, then? 

I like all the trophies except for not drinking once. I don't like when a trophy makes me miss a mechanic in the game l.

Kind of. I can't say much as I'm technically still under embargo until the 30th but yeah, most trophies are missable due to the multi-route nature of the game, but a lot of them are related to the story elements based on your choices and what skills you have. If you've played the council - it's like that at times.

12 hours ago, turniplord said:

Yeah, you're right.

Maybe "couldn't be bothered" wasn't the right choice of words. I just personally enjoy varied trophy icons. It's not a deal breaker, I'll still play the game, but it's just nice :)

As for guides, I'm currently using one for Zombie Army Trilogy, some of those bottles would be near impossible to find otherwise. But I've also started Shadow of the Tomb Raider ( Great game btw ) and am going through that blind on my first playthrough.

1 hour ago, turniplord said:

Kind of. I can't say much as I'm technically still under embargo until the 30th but yeah, most trophies are missable due to the multi-route nature of the game, but a lot of them are related to the story elements based on your choices and what skills you have. If you've played the council - it's like that at times.

Thanks. So they're story related but missbale which means multiple plays unless you can use saves to go back and make different choices. I'll have to wait on reviews first anyway, but may wait for a guide to see what kind of time requirements there are.

I love everything Lovecraft so this will be a hard buy. I still have too much on the backlog though, so it'll have to wait a little. Trophies look interesting, I hope there will be chapter select, but from the trailer it looks like you can spec your character into different skills, so that might be difficult.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NanaCheese94 said:

I love everything Lovecraft so this will be a hard buy. I still have too much on the backlog though, so it'll have to wait a little. Trophies look interesting, I hope there will be chapter select, but from the trailer it looks like you can spec your character into different skills, so that might be difficult.

There isn't - choices you make are set in stone and autosaved after picking. no manual saving either. So, if you miss anything - it's a second playthrough :)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NanaCheese94 said:

Do you know how long a casual playthrough takes? Without collecting everything etc

It took me 8-9 hours but I was trying to do everything and went in blind - because there is no info on the game out there and I've had it for about 2 weeks. My second run, when I knew everything, took less as I rushed and skipped a lot of things I didn't need to do.

also, on a side note - the embargo has just been changed to 11pm tonight, so our review will be up around then as well as a lot of others.

Edited by turniplord
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, turniplord said:

It took me 7-8 hours but I was trying to do everything and went in blind - because there is no info on the game out there and I've had it for about 2 weeks. My second run, when I knew everything, took less as I rushed and skipped a lot of things I didn't need to do.

also, on a side note - the embargo has just been changed to 11pm tonight, so our review will be up around then as well as a lot of others.

Okay, that sounds pretty reasonable. Thx for the info, and looking forward to the review!

1 hour ago, turniplord said:

It took me 7-8 hours but I was trying to do everything and went in blind - because there is no info on the game out there and I've had it for about 2 weeks. My second run, when I knew everything, took less as I rushed and skipped a lot of things I didn't need to do.

So a normal blind play-through is 7 to 8 hours. But a rushed playthrough is how long? 6? 5? Not a very long game. I hope the different choices make up for that. 

Edited by gameman999

7 hours ago, gameman999 said:

So a normal blind play-through is 7 to 8 hours. But a rushed playthrough is how long? 6? 5? Not a very long game. I hope the different choices make up for that. 

Sorry, I got it a little wrong - I've got my LP recordings here and it took me 8 hours and 45 mins to play through blind first of all. I didn't record the 'clean up' run I did but it must have been about 5 or so hours, maybe less as you can skip all conversations and cutscenes bar a few

• Like 1