Next gen outlook - "winter is coming"

wyansas

I saw this comment on an article at gamasutra.com.  I find myself really agreeing with it, and I wanted to know what you guys think of it:

As one of the "niche 'adult gamer' fan"s you mention, I'm similarly unmoved by anything I've seen from Microsoft OR Sony.

I find myself agreeing more and more with the folks who have said that the Wii U's failure is not a signal that Nintendo has failed at messaging (though that's certainly true) or that the Wii U is a doomed platform (that also may be true, hard to say), but that anybody trying to launch a new console in 2013 has a seriously tough row to hoe.

In 2006, people were jumping out of their chairs to hear about new hardware. The 360, Wii and PS3 all promised to do things so much better than the previous generation, with so much more fidelity (either of graphics or of input) that we couldn't throw our money at the companies delivering them fast enough.

Now I don't know anyone genuinely excited to buy a new console. Sure, people will do it, out of obligation to a hobby we love and a hope that good will come of it, but nobody's EAGER to put Yet Another Three-to-Four Hundred Dollar Box in their living room. They've made a strong push for it as a media box, but you know what? I don't need another one of those, either, even if it Skypes. I can HDMI my laptop to my TV for free, thanks. And without backwards compatibility from either the One or the PS4, early adopters have that much more to think about, and I think "to wait awhile and see" will be the sensible option for a LOT of them.

To abuse a phrase, winter is coming. I don't think this is gonna go particularly well for anybody.

I think there's a lot of sense in this.  What do you all think?

I disagree. Personally, I AM looking forward to PS4. I AM excited to get it, and not by some obligation to my favourite hobby, but because I think it looks awesome. I'll still keep my PS3, not just because of BC, but because I tend to keep consoles. (I still have the PS2, Gamecube, Sega MD and literally just came off the N64)

Of course everyone's different, but this is what I think. I can't wait for PS4 :)

When the PS4 was revealed I was pretty excited about the pure gaming aspect of the console, like the power it has, and how good the games look that they showed. As for all the social stuff, not so much. But I'm happy about the console overall as it still focuses on gaming, and I doubt all the new features are going to take anything from that.

I'm just waiting to hear about how used games are going to work, and if I'll even be able to borrow/lend games with friends. Also if the standard PSN, the one we have now, is going to continue to be free.

As for the Xbox One... well I really dislike the angle they're taking. I was never going to get one anyway but after the reveal I feel sorry for the people who're actually Xbox fans, especially the ones outside of America.
Although I'm sure they'll have loads of cool stuff to show at E3.

I am still definitely excited for the PS4... how can I not be? :P

All that being said, I don't like the direction that the industry is continuing to follow. It feels like it's ruining what it used to be because they can now make so much extra money off of us.

I agree with the article, don't know if my expectations were too high for the new  consoles, or the gaming industries changed that much from last generation. consoles, but I am dissapointed with both PS4 and Xbox "one" presentations, both showed more of that social and interative crap than actual games. 

Don´t get me wrong, i will eventually buy (most likely a few years after the launch) a PS4, but at the moment that is significantly lower in my priorities list.

And the Xbox "one" i know for sure that I will never buy, the required online connection, and blocking used games are deal breakers for me.  

even though most of the responders so far said they're excited for the next generation, it seems like most of the general excitement and readiness for the next generation is coming from the game makers and publishers and not from the players.  this generation hasn't grown stale for me yet, though it seems like the game makers are chomping at the bit to get some new toys to play with.  i think the reason i am this way so far is that i haven't seen any new gameplay possibilities that excite me.  so far, in what i've seen from sony and microsoft, the greater power of the new consoles has only made games more realistic, not more fun.  i haven't seen or heard about any new gameplay possibilities that excite me.  i don't care about "self-casting shadows" or "fish swimming away when i get too close" or anything like that.  that's not why i play games, and so far that's all the new generation seems to offer me.  i'm not excited at all, really.

I actually have no interest in the PS4 or Xbox One at all, so what if they're more powerful than their predecessors, they have no new features that interest me, and the massive social aspect is a huge turn off too. I use my consoles for games, and watching the odd DVD or Blu-Ray, but no other feature gets used at all.