Anyone else "grinded" away from the Platinum?

Valkirye22

On 06/11/2018 at 5:26 AM, Yokimoto said:

Oh I didn’t realize that. What do you mean by reset? Like no weapons?

You have the basic weapon set, dead eye etc. I used the replay feature to get the 70 gold and didn't find it too bad, it's just some missions take a few tries and sitting through the long dialogue in some missions is a chore.

• 2 months later...
On 23/09/2019 at 0:38 PM, mattfry94 said:

See, I've had much better luck with the Western Bull Moose! I've found 4 but after all the hours of trying methods (even the one in the video) the female just won't spawn. 

But I'll try again! Thanks for the help anyways, it's greatly appreciated. I have 6 more animals to get... guess which is the 6th. 

Replying back to this now as I'm close to the Plat (only have to get the Gold medals now and then I'm done) but man, collecting everything and doing all the challenges was some grind. 

I love this game though, I've spent over 400 hours in it now and I guess when I'm down I'll update to give a final time. 

• 2 years later...

This trophy stops being fun too soon, and from there on it's plain torture.

Back when I started this (think I had like 10 platinums?) I only got platinums for games that I liked enough to play more, and when I bought RDR2 I had 0 expectations, I don't like GTAV, haven't played any of the other ones and din't play RDR1, but this games seemed interesting, it was somewhat different from what I usually played, everybody was so excited about it so I gave it a try, and it was awesome.

After finishing it I swore I would not go for the plat, but since the game is great... I looked at a guide and it said 300 hours... and you know what? That's... potentially doable with some patience, I love the game so why not.

The only enjoyable trophies are the ones that require you to do side missions essentially "strands" or whatever they're called, interacting with strangers essentially, they are well written stories that are fun to play, all of them. But after that, it's a pain.

The online is a pain, not because it's online (well, also that) but because it's just grinding online, which is worse than offline because you end up with players randomly killing you and stealing your animal that you were about to sell, wasting your time by keeping bullying you with their amazing shiny premium weapon which you cannot have. 93 hours of it, all grinding.

Also, the online open world doesn't really have anything, yeah it's cool that you get to meet some gang characters for some side missions, since the setting is before the actual game... but it's really just a bunch of nods to it and nothing else, there isn't the same interest toward exploring that you have in the offline mode, where there is actually something to do and interact with.

Alright cool, now I can go back to the offline mode, where the true fun is... Except that is not the case, challenges... yeah sure ok I guess. Collectibles, just running around for those (which you probably also did in the online mode since the collector role is what gives you the most money and XP), oh what's that? Collecting plants? After the bones? Yeah.. ok.

Oh now what? Studying and seeing almost all the animals and their variations, except for the ones in Guarma? Alright, hunting is fun right? Yeah sure, for the first few hours. Hunting a deer is fun, hunting a moose that never spawns isn't, especially considering how much of a pain it is to reset the game and the spawns, save, sleep twice, save, reload, sleep twice, save, and hope that you will get what you need. And hope that that something, is actually there and did spawn and doesn't run away.

Animals are essentially running and flying collectibles at this point.

And finally, the gold medals, where I'm at now. In total, I've been playing this game since 2018 taking long breaks in between to not lose my sanity. Never uninstalled it, since I knew that if I did so, I would never have gone back to actually reinstalling it and finishing it.

I did Call of Duty Cold War, a huge pain, hard, took a while. But in comparison to this it was luxury, this trophy isn't necessarily hard but it will break your patience and bore you to death no matter how patience you are. I spent (so far) 353 hour in this game (give or take, comes from the PS5 which isn't always accurate, might be a few extra hours)... I wouldn't be surprised if I had spent 200 or more just riding my horse around, because trust me, that's what you do 90% of the time for this platinum.

By the way, remember when I said I was at around 10 plats when I started? I'm sitting at 41 now, with this game at 91%, just missing the gold medals and a new playthrough for some missable stuff. Man, I swear, I will never, never ever again touch this game every again, now will I ever dare to platinum another Rockstar game, as far as I know they keep getting worse trophy wise, and this is already pushing my limit.

Alright, that's it for my rant, I will probably say it was worth it when (and if) I actually get it, do not, under any circumstances believe me.

• Like 3

On 12/27/2021 at 2:10 PM, Lynxes_Exe said:

This trophy stops being fun too soon, and from there on it's plain torture.

Back when I started this (think I had like 10 platinums?) I only got platinums for games that I liked enough to play more, and when I bought RDR2 I had 0 expectations, I don't like GTAV, haven't played any of the other ones and din't play RDR1, but this games seemed interesting, it was somewhat different from what I usually played, everybody was so excited about it so I gave it a try, and it was awesome.

After finishing it I swore I would not go for the plat, but since the game is great... I looked at a guide and it said 300 hours... and you know what? That's... potentially doable with some patience, I love the game so why not.

The only enjoyable trophies are the ones that require you to do side missions essentially "strands" or whatever they're called, interacting with strangers essentially, they are well written stories that are fun to play, all of them. But after that, it's a pain.

The online is a pain, not because it's online (well, also that) but because it's just grinding online, which is worse than offline because you end up with players randomly killing you and stealing your animal that you were about to sell, wasting your time by keeping bullying you with their amazing shiny premium weapon which you cannot have. 93 hours of it, all grinding.

Also, the online open world doesn't really have anything, yeah it's cool that you get to meet some gang characters for some side missions, since the setting is before the actual game... but it's really just a bunch of nods to it and nothing else, there isn't the same interest toward exploring that you have in the offline mode, where there is actually something to do and interact with.

Alright cool, now I can go back to the offline mode, where the true fun is... Except that is not the case, challenges... yeah sure ok I guess. Collectibles, just running around for those (which you probably also did in the online mode since the collector role is what gives you the most money and XP), oh what's that? Collecting plants? After the bones? Yeah.. ok.

Oh now what? Studying and seeing almost all the animals and their variations, except for the ones in Guarma? Alright, hunting is fun right? Yeah sure, for the first few hours. Hunting a deer is fun, hunting a moose that never spawns isn't, especially considering how much of a pain it is to reset the game and the spawns, save, sleep twice, save, reload, sleep twice, save, and hope that you will get what you need. And hope that that something, is actually there and did spawn and doesn't run away.

Animals are essentially running and flying collectibles at this point.

And finally, the gold medals, where I'm at now. In total, I've been playing this game since 2018 taking long breaks in between to not lose my sanity. Never uninstalled it, since I knew that if I did so, I would never have gone back to actually reinstalling it and finishing it.

I did Call of Duty Cold War, a huge pain, hard, took a while. But in comparison to this it was luxury, this trophy isn't necessarily hard but it will break your patience and bore you to death no matter how patience you are. I spent (so far) 353 hour in this game (give or take, comes from the PS5 which isn't always accurate, might be a few extra hours)... I wouldn't be surprised if I had spent 200 or more just riding my horse around, because trust me, that's what you do 90% of the time for this platinum.

By the way, remember when I said I was at around 10 plats when I started? I'm sitting at 41 now, with this game at 91%, just missing the gold medals and a new playthrough for some missable stuff. Man, I swear, I will never, never ever again touch this game every again, now will I ever dare to platinum another Rockstar game, as far as I know they keep getting worse trophy wise, and this is already pushing my limit.

Alright, that's it for my rant, I will probably say it was worth it when (and if) I actually get it, do not, under any circumstances believe me.

Hahaha I was the exact same way. When I first beat the game, I loved it so much it became my favorite game of all time. A masterpiece in every sense of the word, but at first I wasn't willing to devote the time for the Platinum. A couple months later however, I changed my mind. I wanted more, because I realized how much I enjoyed just spending time with the game, so I went for it! To be honest only things that were really that infuriating are the gold medals first and foremost - so stupid how I had to start a new playthrough because I did it before the patch that let you keep all your stats and weapons, and finding certain animals like the moose as well as the gambling challenges. Still, I just appreciated having stuff to do. After having completed the SP with 300+ hours sunk into it, I was sad that I'd done everything in the game. That's right, after all that I still wasn't bored of the game ? The online however, that's another story ? I hated every second of the 70 or so hours I wasted on that pitiful excuse for a Multiplayer. Easily the worst part of the Platinum. 

On 06/11/2018 at 8:08 AM, NoiizeR- said:

You have basic weapons, few items, basic horse. Try it out once and you'll see. They should fix so you use your custom and leveled character if you replay missions. For now I save before every story mission

I know I'm late to this conversation, but i seen on your account that your still recently going for the platinum, but if it helps for the online portion, do the collector series. The XP you can get is by far the most efficient, jus follow the interactive map https://jeanropke.github.io/RDR2CollectorsMap/ 

I went from level 26 to 48 in just two days. 

It is a tedious grind but by far the best way to do it. 

Hope this helps, good luck. 

• 11 months later...

Definitely going to add this platinum to my collection.

Completed the story early last year and I look forward to reliving Arthur's story and embracing everything this legendary game has to offer.

Even if Red Dead Redemption 2 took up all my free time and is the only plat I get for 2023, I'd be happy.

I appreciate the work everyone in development put into this game and if it took them 5+ years to make this game, as a fan I can spend a year to savour every once of goodness from this golden tit.

• Like 3

There is one thing you learn from playing Rockstar games is they always have some of the worst/grindy trophies. The worst part of the game for me is finding these stupid birds to study/skin. The rest of the trophies are sort of turning up to a location and picking something up or just interacting with it. The study/skin one is standing around hoping the animal spawns and hoping you see it in time before it flies away.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this post is old. But I'm currently in part of chapter 3 pausing my progression in story and I'm about 47 percent in the 100 percent trophy.  The worst for me is I keep having to go back to west Elizabeth and I'm all the way by the other side of the map. 

And I had just came back from there and finally made It to the other side and I already need to be back there ??. 

I'm working on the challenges but, man horseman 3,drag a person is hard. 

I also haven't progressed quite far enough in chapter 3 to paint enemies. Sooo that challenge is out of the water( kill 2  animals with the same dead eye) 

I am finding getting enough weapons is hard. I'm at like 23 of 47

The animals 

I took a screenshot of the pages in the guidebook and I've just been drawing on it to mark off what I've found. 

But, I am now sub marking them because some are not found but skinned and not skinned but found. 

Oh man. It's a progress. My roomates sister isn't a huge trophy hunter but, she spent time and worked through it got that 100 percent in the West trophy!! My damn. I'm borrowing her guide book

I am also using the map application for this game. 

1 hour ago, Peyton1423 said:

I know this post is old. But I'm currently in part of chapter 3 pausing my progression in story and I'm about 47 percent in the 100 percent trophy.  The worst for me is I keep having to go back to west Elizabeth and I'm all the way by the other side of the map. 

And I had just came back from there and finally made It to the other side and I already need to be back there 1f602.png1f602.png

I'm working on the challenges but, man horseman 3,drag a person is hard. 

I also haven't progressed quite far enough in chapter 3 to paint enemies. Sooo that challenge is out of the water( kill 2  animals with the same dead eye) 

I am finding getting enough weapons is hard. I'm at like 23 of 47

The animals 

I took a screenshot of the pages in the guidebook and I've just been drawing on it to mark off what I've found. 

But, I am now sub marking them because some are not found but skinned and not skinned but found. 

Oh man. It's a progress. My roomates sister isn't a huge trophy hunter but, she spent time and worked through it got that 100 percent in the West trophy!! My damn. I'm borrowing her guide book

I am also using the map application for this game. 

You can fast travel, you don't really have to cross the map everytime on horse back, the guide here is really useful and the videos from GTA Series on the challenges got me through the platinum, read the comments as people found methods that's easier than the ones on the video sometimes.

On 3.1.2023 at 10:38 AM, Life-is-Torture said:

I'm not going for the plat since I hate with passion online trophies.

The online is very easy and doesn't require much effort unlike RDR. the only thing you can worry about is the MVP trophy which require individual skill (and other players) and that also can be achieved easily like any of the other online trophies.

The online is barley exist. I did everything naturally by just playing the game modes.

And about the grind - It just takes time, it's a game that you want to explore and not rush.