Rondo of Blood *smacks head against wall*

I have to admit I was vastly unprepared for how difficult this game was going to be.

I strolled along level 1 lal;alala oh this is a fun kick back to super castlevania, relaxing.

Level 2

DIE A MILLION TIMES TO AXE KNIGHT

Then, a miracle happens, I somehow get past that on one attempt.

DIE TO FLOATING EYEBALL

DIE TO RANDOM BATS

Game over.

*tries again*

DIE TO AXE KNIGHT

*puts down headset and seeks therapy online*

This is level 2??

• Like 1

Reading this thread just makes me wish there was a speedrun trophy for Rondo of Blood :P

Seriously though, just unlock Maria and the game will be much easier. All you have to do is save her in Stage 2; I don't think you even need to complete it. However, you'll still have to play as Richter to the save the other three girls and beat the final boss. Assuming you want all the trophies, that is.

12 minutes ago, Cave_Johnson_ said:

Reading this thread just makes me wish there was a speedrun trophy for Rondo of Blood :P

Seriously though, just unlock Maria and the game will be much easier. All you have to do is save her in Stage 2; I don't think you even need to complete it. However, you'll still have to play as Richter to the save the other three girls and beat the final boss. Assuming you want all the trophies, that is.

you do not need to complete the chapter to select Maria. You can save the other 3 with Maria as well but you do have to beat Dracula with Richter and Maria for their respective trophies.

6 minutes ago, DarkHarmonixer said:

you do not need to complete the chapter to select Maria. You can save the other 3 with Maria as well but you do have to beat Dracula with Richter and Maria for their respective trophies.

Huh, I must be blind then. When I played Stage 3' as Maria, I didn't see Tera for some reason. From that, I just assumed you had to be Richter.

23 minutes ago, aZombieDictator said:

Are people really calling this game bad because they suck at it? What a shame you can't just blow through and easily get the trophies.

It's a game from 1993, its most likely going to be difficult and something you're not use to if you didn't grow up playing games in that era.

I'd argue the design of older games like this is in fact bad. It's designed to be purposefully cheap in order to extend an otherwise short experience. There's a difference between cheap and challenging. But hey, to each their own.

• Like 2

P

5 hours ago, Cave_Johnson_ said:

My God, this. Stage 5' is a breze with her. But correct me if i'm wrong, but it doesn't matter who you play as, you can get the other girls with Maria. I've always played both the original and the PSP remake with Maria and didn't need to switch to Richter except for Stage 5' in the remake because it wasn't possible to get some unlockable without him.

7 hours ago, aZombieDictator said:

Are people really calling this game bad because they suck at it? What a shame you can't just blow through and easily get the trophies.

It's a game from 1993, its most likely going to be difficult and something you're not use to if you didn't grow up playing games in that era.

First off, I said it was difficult, not bad. However, if you compare it to Super Castlevania which came out in 1991, it's definitely much worse. : D

All the classic-style Castlevania games are really bad. I'd say that they've aged poorly, but that would be a lie, since they all had terrible controls and clunky gameplay, even for their time. There is a reason why the series ended up abandoning the godawful classic gameplay style in favor of the SOTN style, which was actually fun.

Anyway, Rondo of Blood is actually pretty easy once you unlock Maria, since she controls a lot better, and you can abuse her Genbu subweapon to cheese a lot of the bosses. 

7 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

My God, this. Stage 5' is a breze with her. But correct me if i'm wrong, but it doesn't matter who you play as, you can get the other girls with Maria. I've always played both the original and the PSP remake with Maria and didn't need to switch to Richter except for Stage 5' in the remake because it wasn't possible to get some unlockable without him.

You're correct. I thought it had to be done as Richter until DarkHarmonixer pointed that out.

5 hours ago, maximimon said:

The game is rough sure , not impossible and its far from trash , if anything there is quite an element of satisfaction once you get better at it and beat a  level with no damage , which is a trophy btw .

Well you only need to beat a level with full health really so just knocked that trophy out on the first boss. Easy peasy lemon squeezy