Most Accessible JRPG Franchises and Tips for a Genre Beginner?

PhantomFear94

I'd recommend these that others have mentioned:

Final Fantasy X

Persona 5

Yakuza 0

Monster Hunter World

Bloodborne

Nioh is also great. Probably the best combat system in a JRPG this gen imo. The content could wear on you though since you have to repeat levels for the plat.

You mentioned Drakengard, the 3rd one is good if you can get past the framerate (you really only notice it in the beginning level). The final boss could make or break getting the plat though.

Ni No Kuni is good as well, the combat is weird at first but the story and characters are nice. It's a really long game though, over 100 hours easily doing everything.

Here are some others that haven't been mentioned above:

Atelier Series - Very surprised that no one mentioned this series, but I guess it does have a reputation for being rather difficult or tedious depending on which game you play. This series has a lot to offer, with 9 main games on PS3/PS4 (and remakes of all the PS3 titles on the Vita). This series has your typical turn-based JRPG combat, but it's also unique in that the materials you gather from the dungeon maps or loot from defeating monsters can be used in Alchemy, which is the games' main focus. In order to really appreciate the game, you'll have to enjoy and understand the alchemy/synthesis mechanics as the items/equipment you create there will really make your gaming experience a lot easier.

There are three trilogies released for PS3/PS4 currently-- The Arland Trilogy (Rorona, Totori, Meruru), The Dusk Trilogy (Ayesha, Escha & Logy, Shallie), and The Mysterious Trilogy (Sophie, Firis, Lydie & Suelle). Though Arland is arguably the best out of these, it's probably not the place to start for a beginner as it is a bit unforgiving (and they're doing PS4 remakes anyway, so no reason not to wait on them). The better place to start would be the Dusk Trilogy, but starting with Escha & Logy rather than Ayesha as E&L is a bit easier (and you'll only miss out on just a little backstory). The Mysterious Trilogy is definitely the easiest of the three as the other two have in-game time limits for certain things, but I found the story/characters to be a bit lacking. These games take maybe 20-30 hours for the story, and then double your story time for a platinum.

Blue Reflection - Definitely one of the most accessible JRPGs out there IMO. This game has you playing as a high school girl that has to navigate through her classmates' subconscious landscapes to help them with their strong emotions. While in these subconscious landscapes, you'll be able to participate in turn-based combat to fight the literal demons that occupy their thoughts. The game also has a Tamogachi-like mini-game as well as item synthesis, similar to what you'd have in Kingdom Hearts. This game has fantastic art, a pretty good story, and shouldn't take more than 40 hours or so to complete. It's available on the PS4.

Child of Light - Ok, so not a franchise and doesn't have a platinum, but it's got some great turn-based mechanics, beautiful artwork and music, decent story, and is relatively simple. Don't go for this game if you can't stand rhymes, as all dialogue is rhymed (though not necessarily in a childish way). It has stacks for PS3, PS4, and Vita. This game, along with its 100% Completion, can easily be done in 10 hours.

Earthlock - Though not *technically* a JRPG, it has many JRPG elements, and the developers for this game are seriously the most stand-up folks in the business. I wrote my thoughts on the game in this thread toward the bottom of the page. It's available on the PS4. This game should keep you busy for 40-50 hours.

I Am Setsuna - This game is a throwback to "older" JRPGS (think late 80s/earlier 90s). As such, it's a pretty easy, straight-forward game with nothing too complex about it. But it's still really good. It's got an excellent story, fun turn-based combat, good stylized art, and a fantastic soundtrack (one of the few game soundtracks I've actually purchased). You can get pretty much all your trophies with one playthrough and not much additional exploring beyond what the story has you do; I'd say you're looking at 30-40 hours for a platinum.

The games other people that I have mentioned that I can get behind:

Final Fantasy Series (Particularly IX for a beginner), Odin Sphere (though this feels more like a hack-n-slash with JRPG elements), Ni No Kuni Series (both are good, with the first being better and the second being easier), Tales of Series (Graces, Xillia for a beginner, though Berseria is my favorite), Trails of Cold Steel Series

I'd actually suggest not getting Shining Resonance Refrain. I think it's a decent JRPG for a beginner, though I found it a bit underwhelming. It got super repetitive, even with just trying to get through the story, not to mention the trophy list.

General JRPG Tips

1) If a battle seems too hard, you're probably under-leveled or need better gear. Go grind another 5 levels and visit the nearest town/shop to make sure you have the most up-to-date stuff. 

2) If an NPC tells you to avoid an area, you should probably avoid it unless you're ready to get stomped by enemies that are way past your level. Alternately, you'll fight your way through a dungeon only to come to a roadblock at the end of it. These areas will typically open up later in the game anyway.

3) Remember that you have items to use in combat. Many people get to the end of their game with a surplus of potions and elixirs because they were "saving" them for a harder boss.

4) Many JRPGs are being made with New Game Plus modes these days. These modes typically allow you to carry over items, gear, abilities, levels, etc. Definitely check out what your game's NG+ mode will let you carry over so you can plan accordingly to make your subsequent playthroughs that much easier.

Edited by eigen-space

12 hours ago, phantomfear9494 said:

So hey. I play and enjoy a lot of genres. After gaming for 13 years, I am a bit of an encyclopedia when it comes to most genres and franchises. When games came out, who by, difficulty etc., just the way my brain works. 

However, as I grew up I was (and still am) predominately Xbox, so the whole JRPG thing passed me by. Since getting a PS4 in 2017, the abundance of PS JRPG's has made me intrigued. They seem to be challenging, with an assumption on my behalf that going in that one should approach them in a certain way. I have little knowledge of the key franchises and their reputations! 

With this understanding, and to someone with virtually no JRPG experience, are there any franchises you veterans recommend? Maybe ones more accessible and less demanding of considerable JRPG knowledge?

Please, please understand that I know for JRPG fans this thread is likely going to make you want to eat your own face with my lack of knowledge, but any assistance would be recommended 1f642.png

Info that may help:

1) My experience is super limited. NieR: Automata is one of my favourite games, but my friend said that I shouldn't consider it to be a TRUE JRPG, and more a game with JRPG elements. I don't know whether Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts are considered a part of the JRPG family, but I actively enjoyed both.

2) I appreciate JRPG is a bit of an umbrella term, so apologies for generalizations. I don't know the proportion of real-time / turn-based. I typically prefer real time but am pretty open.

3) Game on my radar (PS4): Ni No Kuni II, Lost Sphear, Shining Resonance: Refrain. 

4) Games on my radar (PS3): Drakengard/Dragoon series (primarily due to my love of NieR: Automata), Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch 

5) Reasonable platinums would be preferable (i.e. sub 80 hours and not too difficult), but not mandatory if the game is THAT good. 

If you still have your xbox 360 I would recommend a few of the exclusive rpgs from that platform.

Infinite Undiscovery, Blue Dragon, Magna Carta 2(this one is technically a KRPG though), and Lost Odyssey

there's a couple other on the platform, spectral force 3, operation darkness, zoids assault, and culdcept saga

Edited by SnowxSakura

All JRPGS i have really enjoyed over the last couple of years, Final Fantasy & Kingdom Hearts games are a given.

PS4
Tales of Berseria

Tales of Zestiria
Persona 5
Persona 4 Golden (Would need a Vita or PlayStation Tv, shines over Persona 5 imo)

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen 

Valkyria Chronicles

Valkyria Chronicles 4

Dragon Quest XI

Disgaea 5

Megadimension Neptunia VII

Tales of Vesperia (When it comes out)

Okami HD (not really a JRPG, has some very light JRPGS mechanics but still top tier)

PS3

Drakengard 3
Tales of Xillia 

Tales of Xillia 2

Tales of Graces f

Disgaea 4

Record of Agarest War Zero

Agarest: Generations of War 2

Eternal Sonata

Persona 3 FES (PS2 Classic so sadly no trophies)

Time and Eternity

Rune Factory Oceans

Atelier Rorona

Disgaea Dimension 2: A Brighter Darkness

Edited by Annaohana

Sînce your posts didnt mention your opinion on what exactly you consider JRPG (nowadays everygame throws in rpg elements and mixes genres without any form of regret), here are games that i consider under the radars although still within 80 hours range.

NON JAPANESE TACTICAL RPGS

Childen of zodiarcs ps4

Interesting world and story. Not too hard. Interesting mechanics with deckbuilding and dices too.

Banner saga 1 2 and 3

only completed the first one . But the story was really good especially the fact that a lot of the choices you make have a lot of lasting effects throughout tje story.

NON JAPANESE RPGS

Battlechasers nightwars (ps4)

Not sure its a japanese but its a great turn based rpg plat done under 80 h. Light story wise, but dungeons are randomised for replay value and characters have a good personality although a bit cliched.

Darkest dungeon (ps4)

While also not japanese. its a great turn base rpg mixed in with a dungeon crawler, although its a bit harder than most games listed here. Once you catch the mechanics behind the game, and you get a look at a wili for the games events and monsters its not that bad. Finished it in 81 hours. But it might take you longer especially if you dont make some research.

Costume quest 1 and 2 ps3

also not japanese but a great example of turn based rpg. Light hearthed story and good to get introduced to the genre. Also not very long but enjoyable. 

Dragon fantasy book 1 and 2 

Again Not sure about the J but still good rpg. Its a very good game that is that brings back the roots of genre in 2d sprites.

1 hour ago, Maitre said:

Sînce your posts didnt mention your opinion on what exactly you consider JRPG (nowadays everygame throws in rpg elements and mixes genres without any form of regret), here are games that i consider under the radars although still within 80 hours range.

NON JAPANESE TACTICAL RPGS

Childen of zodiarcs ps4

Interesting world and story. Not too hard. Interesting mechanics with deckbuilding and dices too.

Banner saga 1 2 and 3

only completed the first one . But the story was really good especially the fact that a lot of the choices you make have a lot of lasting effects throughout tje story.

NON JAPANESE RPGS

Battlechasers nightwars (ps4)

Not sure its a japanese but its a great turn based rpg plat done under 80 h. Light story wise, but dungeons are randomised for replay value and characters have a good personality although a bit cliched.

Darkest dungeon (ps4)

While also not japanese. its a great turn base rpg mixed in with a dungeon crawler, although its a bit harder than most games listed here. Once you catch the mechanics behind the game, and you get a look at a wili for the games events and monsters its not that bad. Finished it in 81 hours. But it might take you longer especially if you dont make some research.

Costume quest 1 and 2 ps3

also not japanese but a great example of turn based rpg. Light hearthed story and good to get introduced to the genre. Also not very long but enjoyable. 

Dragon fantasy book 1 and 2 

Again Not sure about the J but still good rpg. Its a very good game that is that brings back the roots of genre in 2d sprites.

JRPG is exactly what it's always been abbreviated for, Japanese role playing game.

On 06/11/2018 at 9:02 PM, SnowxSakura said:

JRPG is exactly what it's always been abbreviated for, Japanese role playing game

Indeed but like i said there are so many hybrids nowadays that sometimes its hard to know what they expect of the genre.

I was sort of in the same boat as you OP except my main platform was PC. My first JRPG was Persona 5 and as someone who absolutely detests anime and turn based games I was blown away by it. It took me 100 hours to complete and 200 in total to plat the game and I enjoyed all of that time. I've played couple of other JRPGs like Ni no Kuni 1 and 2 and Nier Gestalt after that but I have to say Ni no Kuni is very shallow. Nier on the other hand while was enjoyable can't really hold up with the Persona Franchise.