Woodpecker location

Alex_R-13

For one of the hunting requests, you need a perfect woodpecker carcass. To get a perfect one, you need to kill it with a bow and small game arrows, a varmint rifle will always lead to only a good condition. Now the thing is, it's seems impossible to hit birds in the sky when using the bow. Is there any location where I can find these sitting somewhere? (there is a location for cardinals sitting on a stone which I already used). Or any other tips for getting this carcass? I searched the areas where they are supposed to spawn and I found few, but always flying around. Trying for ages now ?

Edited by Alex_R-13

I wonder if having the trinket from the legendary buck would help with this. If you kill the woodpecker with the varmint rifle that would downgrade it to a "good" carcass, but the trinket might give it a chance to still be "perfect." I think there's still some confusion on how that trinket exactly works but it's worth a shot (no pun intended).

Found one by complete accident, maybe you can check the area.

Can't upload the screenshot, so I'll explain the best I can.

The location is NorthWest of Strawberry or North of Owanjila Pound. Zoom in to see Berijl's Dream (not sure if name is correct), and it is exactly under the letter D of Dream where I found two there.

Also, they are around this parts since there is a woodpecker icon west of Black Bone Forest. Good luck :)

21 minutes ago, Dantares24 said:

I wonder if having the trinket from the legendary buck would help with this. If you kill the woodpecker with the varmint rifle that would downgrade it to a "good" carcass, but the trinket might give it a chance to still be "perfect." I think there's still some confusion on how that trinket exactly works but it's worth a shot (no pun intended).

Yes, I killed a 2 star rat with the bow, got a 2 star carcass that became perfect when I picked it up. So it does help, assuming you killed it with the bow, but like I said it seems impossible to hit the small birds flying around with the bow

22 minutes ago, bpmotard said:

Found one by complete accident, maybe you can check the area.

Can't upload the screenshot, so I'll explain the best I can.

The location is NorthWest of Strawberry or North of Owanjila Pound. Zoom in to see Berijl's Dream (not sure if name is correct), and it is exactly under the letter D of Dream where I found two there.

Also, they are around this parts since there is a woodpecker icon west of Black Bone Forest. Good luck :)

17 minutes ago, Feral said:

Found one south of Braithwaite Manor, close to Catfish Jackson's place.

Thanks guys, will try my luck there 

I'm having same trouble. Spent probably 10h total on looking for woodpecker in different areas including ones mentioned above. I do find the 3 star bird from time to time but Varmint rifle degrades it and with damn Bow you gotta be very close to make a kill.

6 minutes ago, vujos said:

I'm having same trouble. Spent probably 10h total on looking for woodpecker in different areas including ones mentioned above. I do find the 3 star bird from time to time but Varmint rifle degrades it and with damn Bow you gotta be very close to make a kill.

I spent around 3 hours just looking for the woodpecker and gave up. Was trying to do some bandit challenges and directly in front of the guys that buy stolen horses I found one flying low and I could kill it with a bow.