Observing Profiles

CapitanoEstebano

I like difficult games with that one or two trophies you know that person had to have some semblance of intellect, self competition, and skill.   Numbers and trophies percentage should never put you off, the context and way they play despite all that is what matters, in my opinion after see trophies out now for how long theyve existed..   Here my harsh take.  Im put off anymore by that completist, %obsession, over substance.  Seriously.  I can so quickly tell a solid 90 plus % profile from a weak minded trophy whore 90+ %er.

• Like 1

Quality over quantity is nice to see. It's common to see people with lots of platinums, even lots of ultra rares but typically they don't have anything really of note. If I wanted to 'judge' a profile I'd rather actually look at the whole thing, not make assumptions based on a few numbers at the top of their profiles, but if they have a lot of games I'm far too lazy to look through all that haha!

I guess one number that's handy to look at is how closely distributed their trophy rarities are because a lot of games, especially genuinely difficult completions, tend to have a fairly even distribution of all trophy types. For example, if they have a slightly increasing numbers from UR to Common that's rather good, so like:

100 UR, 150 VR, 200 R, 250 UC, 300 C would seem perfectly normal. If anything is massively disproportionate it looks really unusual. For that example above, if they had 1000 C but everything else the same then obviously they're a trophy whore, also if they had more URs than VRs or Rs, then it's clear they're a UR whore etc. It's the one thing UR whores always forget, majority of actual difficult games have their common trophies in the list too, you don't look more 'impressive' having a high UR to Common ratio, you just expose yourself as playing easy UR whore games instead xD

But ultimately, unless you can be bothered to look through the whole thing it's hard to really have a grasp on the account. And even if you do look at every game you're still making assumptions because you don't know the person, they might genuinely like Hannah Montanna for example xD you never know. I don't think anyone should take shortcuts and use any of the numbers to come to a conclusion, it's so easy to inflate every single one of those numbers if you focus on it. 

Side note: If anyone's got something hidden, I admit, I assume flagged games. Because really I don't see the point of hiding ANYTHING, I don't care if you've got a game you can't 100%, it's part of your profile, only real reason to hide something is if you got flagged, so if I see hidden trophies I automatically think 1 or 2 flags are on that account.

EDIT: Just to add more to the hidden thing, even if it's not flagged I would still assume it's hidden because it's cheated to avoid flags. So if they have a lot of hidden trophies (enough that they'd be over the 3 flags) and they're still on the leaderboards (thus showing those games can't all be flagged) I'd still assume they're cheated games hidden to avoid being flagged.

Edited by JohnCenaSong-

I generally only look at other users profiles if I get the impression that we've similar tastes in games. Usually it's to see what they have played that I haven't. If the same games keep coming up on multiple users profiles then I look more into it to see if it's something I'd be interested in playing. 

• 3 months later...

I have this sort of passive-aggressive way of looking at profiles that are ahead or right after me on the Country Rank leaderboard. I kind of like to see how their routine is, who is pulling out the cheap plats and who is putting in decent amount of work. But... not to take it too seriously, I'm just amused by it, in a sort of moustache-twirling manner, thinking "I see what you did there, and I'm coming after you... as soon as I have a free weekend".

• Like 1

• 4 years later...