KingTom95

Gambler Challenge #9 tactics!

43 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, PoisonJam7 said:

I don’t understand how all fives works. They say you get points if the pips on the open end are a multiple of five, but I never get any points when I play a domino meeting those requirements AND I’ve seen the AI get points for pips that are DEFINITELY NOT a multiple of five...like 3 or 2. What the hell is going on!?

 

Also, where is the Block variant table at? I assume it’s in Blackwater since that’s the only place I can’t check yet and I can’t find it anywhere else.

Theres an edge counter when playing. You get points when that edge score is a multiple of 5, such 5, 10, 15. So you can put anything down you just gotta make sure that when you put a tile down that the edge score ends in a multiple of 5. Pretty complicated to explain but after a few games i got the hang of it and did the challenge in half an hour.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand how all 5s works now, but I’m running into the same problem I had with the Blackjack challenge; too many people at the table. It’s much harder to win when there’s 4 people playing...3 people is okay and 2 is just right. But the opposite is true for Draw games; it takes FOREVER to get to 60 when there’s only one guy to play against. 

 

I cant get more people to show up at Emerald Ranch and I can’t get people to leave at Saint Denis!! I’m at 2/3 wins and this last win is proving to be impossible. It’s like the game knows I just need one more and is colluding against me! And I can’t really do much else because the game resets your progress if you camp, reload a save or start a story mission. Learned all that the hard way.

 

 

Edit: of course I got it right after I posted this. 🙄

Edited by PoisonJam7
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also if you have any wins if you see your gonna lose leave the table, then re-join, doesn't reset progress.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My advice: play All Fives in Saint Denis against only 1 opponent.

 

The math gets easier and the probabilities get better. Got it all done (win, quit, win, win) in about 30 minutes once I switched to a single opponent.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I did this very easily by playing all threes against Abigail or Pearson in chapter 4.

 

Not sure if you can play all threes in the epilogue, but if you can get a match against just one opponent, you'd think it would be faster than all fives since there are more potential scoring points (3,6,9,12,15,18,21,24,27,30) compared to (5,10,15, 20, 25, 30) in all fives.

 

What I'd basically do is just try to get lucky and get up to 90 points fast in all 3s, which would often only take one or two rounds. If the opponent got like a 20 point lead, I'd just quit out of the game and try again.

Edited by IDiivil
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I am so pissed!  I saved my game last night with two consecutive domino wins I loaded it up today and it’s a reset to zero wins! WTF?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, lordFRZA said:

 I am so pissed!  I saved my game last night with two consecutive domino wins I loaded it up today and it’s a reset to zero wins! WTF?

You can’t save and close the game. Doing so will reset the challenge. You need to get all 3 wins without closing the game.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To make this easier, just make a backup save before you begin.  After your first win, leave the table and save again.  That way if you fail to win, you can just reload your save.  Once you get your second win, leave the table and save again.  The final win will come the same way.  Abuse the save system.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jpmelville said:

To make this easier, just make a backup save before you begin.  After your first win, leave the table and save again.  That way if you fail to win, you can just reload your save.  Once you get your second win, leave the table and save again.  The final win will come the same way.  Abuse the save system.

Guess you didn’t see my post right above yours. You can’t quit out of the game or reload a save otherwise you reset the challange.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so glad you could leave the table to preserve your progress

 

If you had to legitimately get 3 wins in a row I don't think I'd ever have done it. Just winning any 3 games took me hours of attempts

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Play 1v1 Draw (first to 60). If there are 2 or 3 players then sleep nearby and return. Keep doing this until you get only 1 person playing.

 

Once you got 1 person your goal is to lay down all your tiles before the other player. The score is based on how many "pips" the loser has.

So if you play quick & fast you'll get about 0-20 points.

But if you can block him (forcing him to draw) you'll do what I did: 90+ pts in a single round.

 

Always laydown your largest tiles first i.e. 6:6 or 6:5 & if you laydown a tile like 5:3 make sure you at least have a tile with a 5 or 3 pips on it so you don't get blocked & have to pass.

Block your opponent & force him to keep drawing tiles & you'll hit 60 points (3 times) in about an hour.

 

Don't play 5's cus additional scores get added during play & unless you really know how to play dominoes just stick to 1on1 Draw.

 

In my play time i found that going first really makes a difference. It's not always about luck it's who can put tiles down faster w/o being blocked in or passing.

 

Tip incase you see yourself losing... Just get up before the other player hits 60 or if you end up drawing the entire boneyard in the first move (happened to me a few times).

 

After the 2nd win streak I pretty much knew what i was doing at that point and forced blocks on him enough times he had to draw every tile from the boneyard (yes i got a picture of that phenomenal moment).

 

GC8Se0Dh.jpg

 

Beat his ass 98 to 19.

 

 

Good luck & have fun with #10. I took that one to the St. Denis' "high-roller" table cus I'm a real-life NLHE player. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2019 at 2:34 AM, dokkanexpert said:

Play 1v1 Draw (first to 60). If there are 2 or 3 players then sleep nearby and return. Keep doing this until you get only 1 person playing.

 

Once you got 1 person your goal is to lay down all your tiles before the other player. The score is based on how many "pips" the loser has.

So if you play quick & fast you'll get about 0-20 points.

But if you can block him (forcing him to draw) you'll do what I did: 90+ pts in a single round.

 

Always laydown your largest tiles first i.e. 6:6 or 6:5 & if you laydown a tile like 5:3 make sure you at least have a tile with a 5 or 3 pips on it so you don't get blocked & have to pass.

Block your opponent & force him to keep drawing tiles & you'll hit 60 points (3 times) in about an hour.

 

Don't play 5's cus additional scores get added during play & unless you really know how to play dominoes just stick to 1on1 Draw.

 

In my play time i found that going first really makes a difference. It's not always about luck it's who can put tiles down faster w/o being blocked in or passing.

 

Tip incase you see yourself losing... Just get up before the other player hits 60 or if you end up drawing the entire boneyard in the first move (happened to me a few times).

 

After the 2nd win streak I pretty much knew what i was doing at that point and forced blocks on him enough times he had to draw every tile from the boneyard (yes i got a picture of that phenomenal moment).

 

GC8Se0Dh.jpg

 

Beat his ass 98 to 19.

 

 

Good luck & have fun with #10. I took that one to the St. Denis' "high-roller" table cus I'm a real-life NLHE player. 

Thanks so much for this. Most guides mentioned 5s and I was trying that for a while before seeing your post. Playing Draw was a lot more manageable for me

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2.1.2019 at 7:34 PM, dokkanexpert said:

Play 1v1 Draw (first to 60).

 

This is a very good method and worked for me quite well. Thank you!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dalailama1989 said:

 

This is a very good method and worked for me quite well. Thank you!

 

Welcome buddy.

20 hours ago, abhinandhan22 said:

Thanks so much for this. Most guides mentioned 5s and I was trying that for a while before seeing your post. Playing Draw was a lot more manageable for me

 

Glad to help!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

heads up: I keep reading comments about saving progress between wins and reloading if you lose...

THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE!

I got this trophy the other day and can offer the following advice:

I personally thought 5's in Saint Denis was the best way to score points and strategize with your tiles.

only play against one opponent, or you run a higher risk of losing before you can get up since you have to keep track of more tiles/points etc.

always try to have at least 2 tiles you can lay out on your next move, so you never have to draw. so even if you get points for a move, don't do it, if that move leaves you SOL on your next turn.

if you are going to score any points on a turn, try lowering the edge score tactically to screw the opponent out of high score plays.

and lastly: if your opponent is within 20 points of scoring, leave the table!! they could easily lay out a 20 pointer and you're screwed.

it's honestly not that hard, if you try and think ahead like in chess, instead of blindly trying to score points on every turn ;) good luck

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2018 at 11:55 PM, KingTom95 said:

I actually got it !

Maybe I was just bad cause after a while i understood it more, if you realize you have a lot of the same numbers try to block with these and force your opponent in a bad situation also try to get rid of your highest tiles and save your lowest as long as you can.

 

That's pretty much it the rest is luck.

 

I played 1vs1 all the time at emerald and it was so annoying cause these games took years to complete, was scared because St. Denis poker players are obviously better imo and I thought dominos players will be as well.

 

Could be helpful for others thanks.

 

Thanks, really helpful tip.

 

 

 

Edit: In the topics name should be a question mark instead of an exclamation mark lol.

This DOES NOT WORK. This method has reset my progress twice now. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, zellie30 said:

This DOES NOT WORK. This method has reset my progress twice now. 

 

What exactly does not work?

 

The method you quote basically tells you that you should block your opponent, which is actually exactly what you should do. Playing 1 vs. 1 in Emerald Ranch made it easier and faster, too, as it is easier to count tiles and keep track of what your opponent doesn't have.

 

To elaborate: 

Note that each number (from 1 to 6) is on exactly 6 tiles (once in combination with each of the remaining 5 numbers and as a double tile of that number). So, if you have say 5 of the 6 tiles with a 3 printed, you can bait your opponent into lying down his tile with a 3. If he actually has it and gets rid of it, try to manipulate the field in such a way that all ends show a tile with a 3. Your opponent won't be able to play and will now draw all of the face-down tiles and pass. 

 

If he doesn't have the last tile with a 3, he will keep drawing until he gets it and is able to play. Now again try to block him.  

 

 

What you cannot do is save between rounds / games. But, you can leave the table if you are about to lose and rejoin, that won't reset your progress. 

Edited by Arcesus7
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2018 at 5:14 AM, Asher1985 said:

Thanks, I have been doing the Fives game in Saint Denis and I've got the hang of it. Just annoying that I have to do it one session as the game didn't save my first victory when I booted it up this morning.

Yeah. I even made a save and reloaded the save after 2 wins. Lost both of them. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.