Spyro Day 1 Update - 36gbs

DuckSwimmer

5 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

you call that exaggerating? I can name several games thats missing either without a patch.

Since it's your statement I expect no less.

You will exaggerate what is a gamebreaking issue and call any feature "key" if it was added via a patch.

6 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

Yes, but if they released part 2 and 3 with a code it means they would've been released separately one day. This collection is like the Crash Bandicoot one, just with a effed up total GB size. Also HOLY S**T for that incense burner.

ps: there's also some weird situation with BioShock 1 from the Infinite disc being installable and usable without it. Or was it Dead Space Extraction from Dead Space 2?

Bioshock Infinite, Medal of Honor, and Dead Space 2 bonus games all require the disc to even play the games

Edited by SnowxSakura
double post

Yikes. This thread sure is something.

Guys, we've known since essentially day 1 that not all of 2 and 3 will be on disc. And yes that's awful from a preservation standpoint, but there's absolutely no reason to assume that they wont reprint the discs with everything included later. Crash has been reprinted so all the DLC (and patches?) are on disc, so why would they not do so for Spyro?

Don't worry so much. In 20 years you can get those reprints for pennies used if you want to go on a nostalgia trip. Support this game unless you want Spyro to die entirely, please.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

Bioshock Infinite, Medal of Honor, and Dead Space 2 bonus games all require the disc to even play the games

Well i thought the opposite lol... for at least one of them. I guess i was wrong :( so they're like Deadstorm Pirates from the Razing Storm disc, and Tekken Hybrid?

Edited by Lance_87

Checked the final gb size today since I wasn’t sure if anything was going to be updated yesterday for whatever reason.

On my system I have a final gb size of 67.5gbs for Spyro.

https://imgur.com/gallery/9SPxJVO

Please also don’t be misleaded by the countdown. I had pre ordered this digitally, but installed and playing it physically.

10 hours ago, Max654 said:

A such big update?!?! Seriously?! I respect for what Toys For Bob did with the remake trilogy... but NEVER ever will I tolerate Activi$ion for rushing out an incomplete physical disc. They could have put all the thing in two discs like Red Dead Redemption 2! Extremely lazy and anti-consumer! I wanted the game, but I don’t want it brand new and from a store anymore! This publisher won’t have more of my money!

Call me years later when the PSN servers shut down and you can’t download the rest of the content. I understand day one patches for fixing bugs and glitches, but day one update that is essentially a portion of the base game is unacceptable! Activi$ion obviously want to keep a control on their games from physical discs and to re-release the games on next generations, begging us more money for playing the full game again!

This isn’t the first time Activi$ion pulls this incomplete physical disc practice, folks. For example, you must update CoD:WW2 to even play the campaign, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 5 (a rushed bad game) only has the demo on the disc and the fully playable game is on update. This made basically the disc as “Activision key”, making the physical disc pointless to get. Don’t question me why I hate Activi$ion with pure passion, and for good reasons! It’s simply the scummiest publisher in the entire gaming industry, not delivering us complete, playable SINGLE PLAYER base games on disc!

Am I wrong? Go ahead and find me other games that are not published by Activision, on physical disc, single player campaign entirely playable without needing an update.

Um, comparing Red Dead Redemption 2 to this game is f---ing ludicrous. Do you think Sypro Reignited Trilogy is going to make 725 million dollars in just 3 days? Red Dead Redemption 2 only 1 game at $60 USD - Spyro the Reignited Trilogy 3 games for $40 USD. You do realize the install is 50GB, correct? Toys for Bob is not skimping and get over yourself.

Edited by MAXTHUNDER

27 minutes ago, DuckSwimmer said:

Checked the final gb size today since I wasn’t sure if anything was going to be updated yesterday for whatever reason.

On my system I have a final gb size of 67.5gbs for Spyro.

https://imgur.com/gallery/9SPxJVO

Please also don’t be misleaded by the countdown. I had pre ordered this digitally, but installed and playing it physically.

If that is the case, then they didn't seem to use up all 50GB of the disc by the sounds of it, if the patch was 36GB itself.  You would think that the patch wouldn't be as big if they had used up the disc space.  But ah well, for me, should take me a few hours to download, but no big deal.

Any problems you've run into so far? Like gems not being picked up by Sparx or anything like that? Just curious you know :)

1 minute ago, DrakeHellsing said:

Any problems you've run into so far? Like gems not being picked up by Sparx or anything like that? Just curious you know :)

Nothing crazy other than slightly glitching on the propeller-like objects in Hurricos.

Edited by DuckSwimmer

6 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Mega man x legacy collection also cost 40 dollars and included 2 discs. It will also likely sell less copies than this, there's no excuse

I was waiting with loaded fingers for that response. How much development time do you think went into the MEGA MAN X Collections? How long did it take to develop the "ports" of the games? More then 3 years? Spyro has 3 legit new games rebuilt from the ground up not just another port. Meaning I can guarantee that Spyro's development was likely 5-10 times easily of what MEGA MAN was. 

31 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Some digital only people can't see the other side.

Fixed it for you.

I'm just about digital only these days except for collector's editions. I get it why some people want to stay physical - I was one until a year and a half ago - I especially feel for the people who don't have any other choice because of the internet speed in their area.

It's tempting, but never expect that a whole group behaves the same way :) and of course, there's physical-only people who can't see the other side either.

1 minute ago, Agent 47 said:

Fixed it for you.

I'm just about digital only these days except for collector's editions. I get it why some people want to stay physical - I was one until a year and a half ago - I especially feel for the people who don't have any other choice because of the internet speed in their area.

It's tempting, but never expect that a whole group behaves the same way :) and of course, there's physical-only people who can't see the other side either.

You're from the Netherlands, so you're not exactly hurting for internet. Some places here in the States are stuck with one internet provider, and it's especially bad in places like down South where nobody knows how to make a fucking decent internet service. Just believe me, it's pretty bad. Net Neutrality is still a big deal over here, and the telecom giants are doing their best to shoot that down because they want to hold onto their business monopolies.

I just think this guy is an idiot. I don't appreciate people who decide to shit on others for something trivial like preferring a physical version over a digital version.

I have a lot of stuff on digital so I'm not really a physical only person. I rent games and I have gone out of my way a couple of times to sell my physical games for some money back. My library of physical games is pretty small right now, but where I live I don't have any room for me to collect a whole bunch of games anyway. Just about everything I have that's indie is digital and of course there's the Playstation Plus titles.

Did Activision pull a dick move? Sure they did. They're just trying to end the idea that people buy used games, sell their physical games back and get a refund on them within the first couple weeks. You can't do that with digital, even though some games I have I have had for over 10 years on digital, the companies that sell them have every right to take them off their stores.

So in reality, buying digital is really just a glorified rental service.

1 hour ago, Mikoto_railgun01 said:

oof this is a kick in the nuts especially seeing as consoles have a dire download speed in comparison to a pc. 

they really should have gone the 2 disc route tbh

Why would that be the case?

Consoles should get the same speeds as a PC. Though admittedly Steam does a much better job in monitoring your downloads. For Sony you have to use PSN, which has it's share of problems.

Edited by Spaz

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

So in reality, buying digital is really just a glorified rental service.

I'm sorry but this is such a ridiculous thing, which I hear from time to time and just can't take seriously, like "I've bought the game so it's my right not to have to pay for online too" or "An indie game can't be worth more than €10".

It's not a glorified rental service. If a game is delisted in the store, it's still on your purchase list and can be redownloaded as you wish.

In fact, I'd say the opposite is true for me. With the exception of consoles of two or more generations ago, I have zero physical games in my possession which I've bought and actually finished (bar a few PS3 games which I just can't get rid of, because people don't want to buy them any more), while I still have downloaded and installed all the digital games I've bought on Switch and PS4. So physical feels more like renting to me than digital does.

5 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

It's not a glorified rental service. If a game is delisted in the store, it's still on your purchase list and can be redownloaded as you wish.

Well yeah. I bought White Night three years ago and since then it's been delisted, but I can still download it on my account.

People looking to buy any game they want to get online that has been delisted is shit out of luck. You have to Game Share with someone, which I strongly advise not to, since you're sharing account information.

7 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

In fact, I'd say the opposite is true for me. With the exception of consoles of two or more generations ago, I have zero physical games in my possession which I've bought and actually finished (bar a few PS3 games which I just can't get rid of, because people don't want to buy them any more), while I still have downloaded and installed all the digital games I've bought on Switch and PS4. So physical feels more like renting to me than digital does.

If you bought something physical, you own it. You are not renting it unless you still use Gamefly or other online services.

Some people buy physical so they can finish up a game and then get some trade in value, or a refund depending on where they bought that from. You can't do that with digital, and I find a lot of games don't offer any refunds. Most don't even offer demos or trials, but those are mostly pointless now since anybody can just look up a YouTube video or a Twitch.tv live stream to see how the game plays.

10 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Well yeah. I bought White Night three years ago and since then it's been delisted, but I can still download it on my account.

People looking to buy any game they want to get online that has been delisted is shit out of luck. You have to Game Share with someone, which I strongly advise not to, since you're sharing account information.

Agreed. But that just means that there's no more supply. Can't get any NES games any more either, not new in stores, only used (or "mint" by those who bough stuff and never opened them). I will agree that this is a big argument against digital only (where games can just "disappear" for all but those who bought them at the time), but it is not an argument for calling digital a rental, or against me for buying a game digitally now.

10 minutes ago, Spaz said:

If you bought something physical, you own it. You are not renting it unless you still use Gamefly or other online services.

Some people buy physical so they can finish up a game and then get some trade in value, or a refund depending on where they bought that from. You can't do that with digital, and I find a lot of games don't offer any refunds. Most don't even offer demos or trials, but those are mostly pointless now since anybody can just look up a YouTube video or a Twitch.tv live stream to see how the game plays.

I agree that digital can't (legally?) be sold on again, but this again does not mean it's a rental. It just means that I'll be more careful about pricing when buying digital games than I am when buying digital games. Only games I've bought digitally are games I expected to be playing for years on end, like multiplayer stuff (Mario Kart, Mario Party), and single player outliers like Mario Odyssey, Donkey Kong and Skyrim. Other than those things, when there's an actual choice between digital and phyy and we're talking about an €60 game, I go physical or I wait for a sale.

Back to Spyro: I still struggle to think what the reasoning behind this move was. Going gold earlier? I mean, the second and third games are not download codes but part of the updates so people who buy it used will still get all three games.

I might be able to get my hands on a physical version with a Spyro cable guy for a nice price. If that doesn't work out, I'll probably go digital, making it the first PS4 digital game priced over €30 I'll buy before it's on sale.

... Or perhaps I'll wait and see if it turns up in a Black Friday sale.