Spyro Day 1 Update - 36gbs

DuckSwimmer

14 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

Agreed. But that just means that there's no more supply. Can't get any NES games any more either, not new in stores, only used (or "mint" by those who bough stuff and never opened them). I will agree that this is a big argument against digital only (where games can just "disappear" for all but those who bought them at the time), but it is not an argument for calling digital a rental, or against me for buying a game digitally now.

I wouldn't mind those old NES classics to get a modern touch with modern features. Capcom did it right with those old Mega Man games, and Konami has recently come out with two of their older Castlevania games with modern support.

I don't see myself ever getting the actual NES games unless I'm either a collector or I'm looking to pay a lot for a mint copy of a game that is worth something.

I agree that digital can't (legally?) be sold on again, but this again does not mean it's a rental. It just means that I'll be more careful about pricing when buying digital games than I am when buying digital games. Only games I've bought digitally are games I expected to be playing for years on end, like multiplayer stuff (Mario Kart, Mario Party), and single player outliers like Mario Odyssey, Donkey Kong and Skyrim. Other than those things, when there's an actual choice between digital and phyy and we're talking about an €60 game, I go physical or I wait for a sale.

I have a lot of games on Steam and much of my indie game library is digital only, since that's the only way to get most of them. I think these companies need to offer refunds for certain games as a way to get some of your money back. In the same fashion you go back to Best Buy or wherever you went to to return a game you bought there a day or two before.

The delistings that have occurred for the past couple years, I just cannot accept buying everything digital.

Back to Spyro: I still struggle to think what the reasoning behind this move was. Going gold earlier? I mean, the second and third games are not download codes but part of the updates so people who buy it used will still get all three games.

I might be able to get my hands on a physical version with a Spyro cable guy for a nice price. If that doesn't work out, I'll probably go digital, making it the first PS4 digital game priced over €30 I'll buy before it's on sale.

... Or perhaps I'll wait and see if it turns up in a Black Friday sale.

A few games I played the DLC content I bought and paid for was with the updates. So technically the DLC was in those games but I still had to pay to access them. This sounds like the same deal with Spyro 2 or 3.

As others have said, I just don't see having a physical copy if only the first Spyro is on there. May as well been digital only, but TellTale Games pulled this move with their first Batman game. Have the first episode available physically but have everything else downloaded.

Edited by Spaz

4 hours ago, MAXTHUNDER said:

I was waiting with loaded fingers for that response. How much development time do you think went into the MEGA MAN X Collections? How long did it take to develop the "ports" of the games? More then 3 years? Spyro has 3 legit new games rebuilt from the ground up not just another port. Meaning I can guarantee that Spyro's development was likely 5-10 times easily of what MEGA MAN was. 

Then charge more money, stop making excuses for activision

2 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

I'm sorry but this is such a ridiculous thing, which I hear from time to time and just can't take seriously, like "I've bought the game so it's my right not to have to pay for online too" or "An indie game can't be worth more than €10".

It's not a glorified rental service. If a game is delisted in the store, it's still on your purchase list and can be redownloaded as you wish.

In fact, I'd say the opposite is true for me. With the exception of consoles of two or more generations ago, I have zero physical games in my possession which I've bought and actually finished (bar a few PS3 games which I just can't get rid of, because people don't want to buy them any more), while I still have downloaded and installed all the digital games I've bought on Switch and PS4. So physical feels more like renting to me than digital does.

Sure, but what happens in a few decades when Sony leaves the console game and PSN closes? Or Xbox? All those games will be completely gone. Your rental period will be over. If you need any proof just look at the Wii, and then escalate that to an entire service like PSN. PSN will not last for eternity.

I can still play all my PS1 games, and I will still be able to many, many years from now. The only risk is disc rot, and then I can buy it again. Blurays are even less susceptible to disc rot so Spyro Reignited on disc will last for a very, very long time. Long after it's not available to redownload for everyone who bought it digitally.

Which is why it's very important that physical stays around. Preservation of game history and legacy. And Spyro is going to be reprinted like Crash, I don't see why Activision wouldn't, so everything is fine for this one specific case.

But an all digital future is a horrifying prospect, and not just because of it being a rental service.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

Why would that be the case?

Consoles should get the same speeds as a PC. Though admittedly Steam does a much better job in monitoring your downloads. For Sony you have to use PSN, which has it's share of problems.

well because consoles when not connected by ether net cable get nuked downloads. lets say something is 10GB in most cases my ps4 took an hour or so to download the thing where on my pc it took about 15 minutes and neither of my things are connected by ether net.

1 hour ago, Agent 47 said:

It just means that I'll be more careful about pricing when buying digital games than I am when buying digital games.

We'll call this the gamer consumer paradox. :D

But seriously, I actually see both sides of this debate. On the one hand, I do hope that physical games maintain at least some presence in the market. @madbuk makes a good point - at least, it provides a repository for the history and grandeur of gaming. But on the other hand, it is the case that you have more than just rental rights for digital games. You can lose the game (Sony or the dev can revoke your license), but this is rare.

More annoying to me is the fact that devs can patch out content of your game because of their own confounding license agreements (I'm looking at you, Rockstar). While you can refuse the patch if you buy physical, it is at the very least incredibly difficult to do so if you buy digital.

Edited by starcrunch061

11 hours ago, Spaz said:

Some people do not have fiber or cable internet. They are stuck with some backwater hick ass internet provider who refuses to upgrade their infrastructure, and 36 GBs quite frankly is a LOT for them.

Activision pulled this same stunt with Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered two years ago. This isn't exactly breaking news to anybody.

The Spyro Re-ignited trilogy I'm sure wasn't half assed, if it is anything like the Crash Bandicoot trilogy then it will be a solid entry.

The practices of Activision regarding this collection is why people are upset. Rockstar was good enough to put two blu-ray discs for their game Red Dead Redemption 2, so why can't Activision do the same?

Some of you people who buy everything digital only are so far up your own asses. Also keep in mind that delistings can and will happen for some games. A few games are gone forever because they aren't available either physically or digitally, mostly due to licensing issues.

Also Activision is the company that have pulled games like Deadpool and Transformers: Devastation off of the Playstation Store, so if you were too late to buy them online you have to buy physical.

I prefer physical over digital. Always been that way with me. You digital only people can't see the other side.

How is any of this Activision's fault that people live on the outskirts of mainstream society or in a third world country? You do realize that other companies do this as well, correct? and in fact most companies do this on their AAA titles. There are always updates,dlcs, season passes and patches. Would I loved to had 2 discs? Yes, I would. But I'm not going to go pointing a finger at ACTIVISION and bashing them for giving us a trilogy of games that we wanted. 

34 minutes ago, MAXTHUNDER said:

How is any of this Activision's fault that people live on the outskirts of mainstream society or in a third world country? You do realize that other companies do this as well, correct? and in fact most companies do this on their AAA titles. There are always updates,dlcs, season passes and patches. Would I loved to had 2 discs? Yes, I would. But I'm not going to go pointing a finger at ACTIVISION and bashing them for giving us a trilogy of games that we wanted. 

I guess it’s peoples fault they live in a country like China that has slave labor, or a country like Bangladesh that has countless kids suffering from poverty. 

I’m fully aware that companies release their AAA games on digital. But stop trying to accuse us that we’re stuck with a backwards third world internet provider or we haven’t adapted to the times by buying physical. 

You buy everything digital? Great, congratulations. 

I regularly take DVDs and Blu-ray movies and convert the files into a digital backup that I can watch off my computer. 

Activision has a long track record of shady practices, and most of them don’t apply to what they did here. I’m sure the people who worked on the Spyro trilogy put a lot of effort into it and I command them for that. 

Since Activision merged with Blizzard I don’t think they’re nearly as good as they used to be. But that’s another topic altogether.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 3

I'm personally just amazed that the Spyro Trilogy is commanding over 50GB of space. I don't profess to know much about game development, but it sounds to me as though Toys For Bob maybe haven't been the best at building the game with any real measures to cut the space they've taken with it. I absolutely love the Spyro games, bought them a few times on different platforms, but while full of content they aren't exactly on the same level as numerous open world games in terms of content. My (lack of knowledge led) presumption is this anyway. I guess I just fail to see why Spyro would command such space that some other PS4 gen games wouldn't have, but I've next to no knowledge on that matter.

End of the day, the 36GB update is far from ideal for a lot of people... not everybody even in developed countries has great internet. The UK's internet is routinely abysmal and thats regardless of what you pay. However, even as somebody who will need an age to download this update, I'm not put back by this news. I'm just glad after the Crash remake that they moved onto bringing back Spyro too. Honestly more pumped for this game than 99% of current gen stuff. If Toys For Bob have pulled off a great remaster of the Spyro trilogy, then I won't care about the download space once I've downloaded it.

Is a joke i'm super angry if a buy disc version i want all games on disc. 

On 8/11/2018 at 6:48 AM, Viper5787 said:

the back of the box says 55gb the download that guy has that shows 36 GB we dont even know if thats even for spyro 2 and 3. its IMPOSSIBLE for all 3 games to be fully on disk. like I said 2 and 3 ARE on disk, just not fully. and you CAN still play them. more then half of your current physical games need patched to even be played in the first place either for bugs or the same reason as spyro

use 2 disc no excuse. Stop defending this sh%$

On 8/11/2018 at 2:54 PM, MAXTHUNDER said:

"There is zero excuse". Aren't we entitled. You do realize that Toys for Bob made the game, correct? You do realize that this game is not a full retail price game, correct? Maybe give them money for that extra disc and we don't need to hear or read your banters.  Like I said earlier. Would you rather Toys for Bob half a-- the games just to fit them onto one disc? I'd rather play the beautiful games they built for true fans. Fans that don't wine and complain and enjoy the games that we wanted for so long.

batman return to arkham is not a full price and have 2 disc. 

17 hours ago, christhedog3 said:

I'm personally just amazed that the Spyro Trilogy is commanding over 50GB of space. I don't profess to know much about game development, but it sounds to me as though Toys For Bob maybe haven't been the best at building the game with any real measures to cut the space they've taken with it. I absolutely love the Spyro games, bought them a few times on different platforms, but while full of content they aren't exactly on the same level as numerous open world games in terms of content. My (lack of knowledge led) presumption is this anyway. I guess I just fail to see why Spyro would command such space that some other PS4 gen games wouldn't have, but I've next to no knowledge on that matter.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is 13gb... for the whole game. They definitely didn't optimize Spyro in any way to reduce size.

Final Fantasy XV is like 55gb and that one is a probably a mess of code, considering how they changed focus like 3 times.

8 hours ago, AndresLionheart said:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is 13gb... for the whole game. They definitely didn't optimize Spyro in any way to reduce size.

Final Fantasy XV is like 55gb and that one is a probably a mess of code, considering how they changed focus like 3 times.

Yeah I can't see that much care was taken to optimise the space the game takes. I think people have every right to complain about a 36GB patch on Day 1 with that in mind.

• Like 2

On 09/11/2018 at 4:13 PM, madbuk said:

Sure, but what happens in a few decades when Sony leaves the console game and PSN closes? Or Xbox? All those games will be completely gone. Your rental period will be over.

Nothing. Not everyone is replaying the old games. It's probably the minority. I couldn't care less about 95%(Replayed only RDR and MGR:R) of my PS3 collection already and at the time of PS5 lauch I will probably won't care at all. Bought the game, completed it and moved on. Dunno why would I need PS1 games now or 10 years later, or ever.

By the way, Spyro started to preload and it is at 67GB right now. I hope that is including the patch.

11 hours ago, Akrioz said:

Nothing. Not everyone is replaying the old games. It's probably the minority. I couldn't care less about 95%(Replayed only RDR and MGR:R) of my PS3 collection already and at the time of PS5 lauch I will probably won't care at all. Bought the game, completed it and moved on. Dunno why would I need PS1 games now or 10 years later, or ever.

By the way, Spyro started to preload and it is at 67GB right now. I hope that is including the patch.

I think 67GB is the full size of all the games ready for use.

On 11/9/2018 at 4:28 AM, SnowxSakura said:

Then charge more money, stop making excuses for activision

I would've easily paid $20 per game personally. I want to support Spyro, but I can't support this anti-consumerist b/s. I already told them on social media exactly why I won't be buying the game and it sure isn't because I don't care about Spyro. At least I got my cute Spyro Pop Vinyl...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Can't believe there are people actually trying to justify this bullshit. Yeah, defend the billion dollar corporation. They totally wouldn't be able to eat if they printed the third game on a separate disc. :( They'd be homeless! The poor things.

Get a clue.

45WW0wy.jpg

1 hour ago, DennisWilles said:

Who cares that there is only game 1 on the disc? Do you guys not have internet?

Believe it or not, a lot of rural areas have no broadband or very slow speeds, coupled with data caps, it's not something they should have to eat.

Don mattrick said the same thing about the xbox one when someone asked about it for rural areas, and he lost his job.

1458641974810.jpg

Don't be this guy

• Like 3