Spyro Day 1 Update - 36gbs

DuckSwimmer

I hate myself for this but I bit the bullet and bought it. I'm never gonna uninstall the data and that won't be a problem since my PS4 Pro's SSD has 2TB of space on it

But in the strongest possible terms, fuck Activision, fuck their shady bullshit, fuck them for pissing over the wonderful job Toys For Bob did, fuck me for supporting them, fuck this bitter taste in my mouth for doing it and also fuck Activision.

Edited by LepreCon1991
  • Like 3

Seriously how much of a confused luddite do you have to be to still buy physical media? It’s subject to physical deterioration from wear and tear, damage from device malfunctions, getting lost if you’re a slob or just misplaced, getting stolen, it runs marginally but measurably slower, it takes up space and it’s wildly inconvenient.

Even if you - theoretically - have some valid reason for preferring a disc (you don’t), you’re acting like the publisher shat on your mother because your cartoon dragon toy needs a broadband internet connection. Get a fucking grip.

4 hours ago, JollywoodJuan said:

Seriously how much of a confused luddite do you have to be to still buy physical media? It’s subject to physical deterioration from wear and tear, damage from device malfunctions, getting lost if you’re a slob or just misplaced, getting stolen, it runs marginally but measurably slower, it takes up space and it’s wildly inconvenient.

Even if you - theoretically - have some valid reason for preferring a disc (you don’t), you’re acting like the publisher shat on your mother because your cartoon dragon toy needs a broadband internet connection. Get a fucking grip.

They promised to put out a physical release, but people didn't realize it would only contain one of the three Spyro games until later on.

Having a Day 1 update that is 36 GBs sounds like a coded mess. Cutting down the file size and compressing it helps a lot.

Obviously a lot of people here, including myself, buy digital. It's the way Activision treated the series, after Spyro went on a long tirade of getting poor treatment from the people who had the license.

Physical media can be preserved. Digital media cannot. I have countless movies, television shows and YouTube videos saved up on portable harddrives. Digital library throughout but the harddrive themselves are still physical, therefore it's still physical media.

If you lose everything digitally because of harddrive failure or whatever, then tough luck. Just because you have a PSN account that has bought hundreds and thousands of games online doesn't mean the system is completely safe.

I almost wish we have a similar situation that is comparable to the May 2011 PSN shutdown that had everybody bitching and crying about moving to Xbox and that they'll never be able to play their online games again.

We're so entitled and spoiled.

Edited by BlindMango
Please stop directly calling other people names like "fucking assclown" because it leads to a thread fight every time
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, JollywoodJuan said:

Server farms could suddenly explode, too.

How the hell could they mess up this game by causing FPS drops. The game has minimal maps, barely any hard details (as a game like FC5 or RDR2), easy to optimize as there is no open world and you still get these noticeble drops. 

This is becoming too common with the latest games being released

On 11/8/2018 at 7:56 AM, Lance_87 said:

Oh, your loss then.

2m0vep.jpg

People didn’t lose their minds for multiple discs for Spyro, they did because the second and third game were rumored to be a download, which makes buying the physical version 2/3 less appealing. 

And Red Dead coming on 2 discs is actually ok because of what the game is trying to do and push, please tell me what Spyro is trying to push not to be on 2 discs? Its remakes of PS1 games, there’s nothing impressive about Spyro but the updates visuals, controls and audio. Everything is impressive about RDR 2 because of its ambition. 

2 hours ago, Soufwar said:

People didn’t lose their minds for multiple discs for Spyro, they did because the second and third game were rumored to be a download, which makes buying the physical version 2/3 less appealing. 

And Red Dead coming on 2 discs is actually ok because of what the game is trying to do and push, please tell me what Spyro is trying to push not to be on 2 discs? Its remakes of PS1 games, there’s nothing impressive about Spyro but the updates visuals, controls and audio. Everything is impressive about RDR 2 because of its ambition. 

Why did you quote me now? When i posted that image, there were idiotic rumors about the game coming with some download code to prevent "used copies". Hence the "lose their minds". Meanwhile Fallout 76 did a lot worse by forcing people to download 47GB twice to simply update it (and it's a multiplayer game). But whatever.

Edited by Lance_87

On 11/21/2018 at 1:14 AM, Soufwar said:

Problem is Spyro has 3 games to develop and Red Dead Redemption 2 is only 1. Plus keep in mind that Spyro is $40 USD and Red Dead Redemption 2 is $60 USD plus online microtransactions so that means Red Dead Redemption 2 is going to make far more money on top of the games original price.

On 11/13/2018 at 9:50 PM, JollywoodJuan said:

Even if you - theoretically - have some valid reason for preferring a disc (you don’t)

Oh shoot, and here I thought that selling the game after I'm done with it was a valid reason for preferring physical over digital. Thanks for telling me that it's not.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NathanielJohn said:

Oh shoot, and here I thought that selling the game after I'm done with it was a valid reason for preferring physical over digital. Thanks for telling me that it's not.

There are weirdos on both ands of that digital-physical discussion.

I like physical too for being able to sell it on again but I prefer digital for other reasons, yet someone on the "physical only" team kept yelling earlier "glorified rental service!" about digital since maybe, some day, the online store will close down and you can't get to any purchases any more. And apparently the fact that I keep all my digital games downloaded, on extra hard discs even, doesn't count.

• Like 1

On 08/11/2018 at 4:46 AM, Afro_Gear said:

Thanks for the PSA, but fuck Activision. I cancelled my preorder when I found all 3 games won't be on the disc. Then they delay and I get some hope, but still, no change. Complete garbage if you ask me. Defeats the whole purpose of a physical copy. I'll stick with my PS1 copies on my PS3 for now. 

On 08/11/2018 at 0:46 PM, HuntingFever said:

I'm done with Activision after Spyro comes out, because I am fed up of their BS. There is zero excuse for not making this game a 2 disc set, as they will more than make their money back on it and then some.

What the hell? I'll be honest, this is one of the most ridiculous "I'll never play their game again" threads I've seen, as it has nothing to do with what they've done with the game or its quality...

As much as I love physical copies, you are still getting  a physical copy for collection purposes. Why does it matter if half of it is downloadable, and half is installable? It's complete nonsense, games get significant patches all the time.  If the game is good, why does it matter how its downloaded?  I'm baffled.

9 minutes ago, phantomfear9494 said:

What the hell? I'll be honest, this is one of the most ridiculous "I'll never play their game again" threads I've seen, as it has nothing to do with what they've done with the game or its quality...

As much as I love physical copies, you are still getting  a physical copy for collection purposes. Why does it matter if half of it is downloadable, and half is installable? It's complete nonsense, games get significant patches all the time.  If the game is good, why does it matter how its downloaded?  I'm baffled.

... And yet, for all the flack some PlayStation fans give Nintendo... When putting the new Pokémon game cartridge in your Switch, you can play right away. 1.0 is the version people play right now, a week after release. There might be an update in the future, but the game works great.

Point of this is, I think we (people who buy physical on PlayStation/Xbox) have gotten too accustomed to day one updates and additional downloads. There was a time when the released disc/cartridge was all there is. Then came the internet, allowing for additional updates and DLC. Then cam day one updates and day one DLC. Personally, I'm trying to figure out why devs and publishers these days can't wait with going gold before the games are actually finished. Nintendo's first and second party devs apparently still can. Why can't Activision? Why can't Ubisoft?

Note: I personally am not invested in the specific point of games not being completely playable with the physical pack sans updates. I buy digitally anyway unless there's a cool collector's edition, in which case I sell the game after playing through it and eventually buy it back digitally if I liked it enough and there's a good sale on.

On 11/22/2018 at 5:18 AM, MAXTHUNDER said:

Problem is Spyro has 3 games to develop and Red Dead Redemption 2 is only 1. Plus keep in mind that Spyro is $40 USD and Red Dead Redemption 2 is $60 USD plus online microtransactions so that means Red Dead Redemption 2 is going to make far more money on top of the games original price.

What are you doing? Are you making excuses for Activision? 

3 games to develop? All 3 of them by today’s standards don’t even make 1 game. 

Maldonado, pressing and printing Blu-Ray discs isn’t that expensive. My god do corporate shills disgust me. 

17 hours ago, Soufwar said:

What are you doing? Are you making excuses for Activision? 

3 games to develop? All 3 of them by today’s standards don’t even make 1 game. 

Maldonado, pressing and printing Blu-Ray discs isn’t that expensive. My god do corporate shills disgust me. 

"pressing and printing Blu-Ray discs isn’t that expensive". If it isn't expensive then you flip the bill for the next shipment of the Spyro Reignited Trilogy game getting the second disc.

In this day and age "if" you own a PS4 or any other console/computer you should expect big downloads regardless of whether it is on 2 discs or 1. Look at Fallout 76. How big is the update patch? Oh ya 47gb and the game is still broken. Whereas Spyro Reignited Trilogy launched with an extra 17+gb download and the games are perfect.

I guess you do not know how the gaming industry works because this trilogy was in development for about 3 years. If you take into consideration that Toys for Bob has around 120 employees and if each programmer/coder earns 50,000 each (which is on the low side) that would be 18 million just in salary over those 3 years. That would mean that they would have to sell around 900,000 just to break even on paying the employees. Then there is the overhead of property tax, water, hydro, repairs of said studio etc....etc... I'm sure you get my point.

Self entitled gamers disgust me.

33 minutes ago, MAXTHUNDER said:

Whereas Spyro Reignited Trilogy launched with an extra 17+gb download and the games are perfect.

lol, no they aren't because 2 & 3 aren't even playable without a patch. That's the problem. Some other game is whataboutism. Who cares if some other game has problems? We're talking about Spyro. Activision is a billion dollar corporation, they don't need your protection from valid criticism.

If you don't personally care that the retail copy isn't actually a retail copy at all, and is just a ghetto digital copy then by all means. Don't care. But many do care, and we're not wrong for caring. Nor are we "entitled" because we want to ensure access to what we buy.

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

If you don't personally care that the retail copy isn't actually a retail copy at all, and is just a ghetto digital copy then by all means. Don't care. But many do care, and we're not wrong for caring. Nor are we "entitled" because we want to ensure access to what we buy.

Don't tell me that, all Valve and Activision Blizzard physical games on PC are useless because they've been updated too many times in the years and now it's only possible to download them from their respective clients. They're good as paperweights now...

Edited by Lance_87