Spyro Day 1 Update - 36gbs

DuckSwimmer

21 hours ago, MAXTHUNDER said:

"pressing and printing Blu-Ray discs isn’t that expensive". If it isn't expensive then you flip the bill for the next shipment of the Spyro Reignited Trilogy game getting the second disc.

In this day and age "if" you own a PS4 or any other console/computer you should expect big downloads regardless of whether it is on 2 discs or 1. Look at Fallout 76. How big is the update patch? Oh ya 47gb and the game is still broken. Whereas Spyro Reignited Trilogy launched with an extra 17+gb download and the games are perfect.

I guess you do not know how the gaming industry works because this trilogy was in development for about 3 years. If you take into consideration that Toys for Bob has around 120 employees and if each programmer/coder earns 50,000 each (which is on the low side) that would be 18 million just in salary over those 3 years. That would mean that they would have to sell around 900,000 just to break even on paying the employees. Then there is the overhead of property tax, water, hydro, repairs of said studio etc....etc... I'm sure you get my point.

Self entitled gamers disgust me.

Thank you for explaining to me how the industry I am currently a part of works, ahhh it feels great to be talked down to from people who think they know better than you when your career is actually in that field. 

Spoiler alert, I am a game developer. 

Another spoiler alert, Spyro Reignited Trilogy takes no effort to make compared to 95% of AAA video games today. 

Comparing Fallout 76 which is making you reinstall the client because they cleaned the files after launching the game (terrible practice) to a game like Spyro which doesn’t need anything but a few bug fixes is just ludicrous. 

Good sir, I am not a self entitled gamer, I don’t expect games to be given for free (if that were the case I would not have a career). I expect a certain level of quality with my games, which Spyro admittedly has reached, the only sticking point is the fact that one day you won’t be able to just pop the game into your PS4 and play Spyro 2 and 3 because there won’t be a server to download the update from. 

Spyro doesn’t need to sell 900k copies to make its money back, I can promise you that. Toys For Bob was not sitting around doing dick for the last 3 years but remaking Spyro, all 3 games were remade in about 2 years (not 3 like you’re suggesting) after public interest spiked when Crash was revealed. 

This game embodies the low risk, high reward publisher mentality. Activision (not Toys For Bob) will have to sell around 400k copies to break even and the rest is just pure profit, because I don’t know if you know this but Toys For Bob are responsible for a billion dollar IP called Skylanders. 

This whole trilogy is not made to make money but to have good PR, just like Crash N.Sane Trilogy. Keeping Activision within good graces of the consumer base and a good image for the company. 

Its only convenient for us, the “entitled” gamers that these games are good and worth playing so it’s working, everyone wins :) 

Edit: if you know anything about the games industry, you would know that not everyone makes 50k/year. QA gets paid like shit. Also, usually more than 50% of a game’s budget is not actually put into development but into marketing, cheers. 

Edited by Soufwar

@DuckSwimmer might want to change the thread title, as the day one update was only 18 GB or thereabouts.

I bought the game physically after all* and right now the update size for the most recent version (1.02) is about 19,7 GB.

*did so because someone didn't pick up their pre-order, which was the only edition that would make me get the game physically anyway:

Spoiler

Spyro-Reignited-Trilogy-GM-Edition-PS4.j

Edited by Agent 47
typo

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 4:54 AM, Soufwar said:

Thank you for explaining to me how the industry I am currently a part of works, ahhh it feels great to be talked down to from people who think they know better than you when your career is actually in that field. 

Spoiler alert, I am a game developer. 

Another spoiler alert, Spyro Reignited Trilogy takes no effort to make compared to 95% of AAA video games today. 

Comparing Fallout 76 which is making you reinstall the client because they cleaned the files after launching the game (terrible practice) to a game like Spyro which doesn’t need anything but a few bug fixes is just ludicrous. 

Good sir, I am not a self entitled gamer, I don’t expect games to be given for free (if that were the case I would not have a career). I expect a certain level of quality with my games, which Spyro admittedly has reached, the only sticking point is the fact that one day you won’t be able to just pop the game into your PS4 and play Spyro 2 and 3 because there won’t be a server to download the update from. 

Spyro doesn’t need to sell 900k copies to make its money back, I can promise you that. Toys For Bob was not sitting around doing dick for the last 3 years but remaking Spyro, all 3 games were remade in about 2 years (not 3 like you’re suggesting) after public interest spiked when Crash was revealed. 

This game embodies the low risk, high reward publisher mentality. Activision (not Toys For Bob) will have to sell around 400k copies to break even and the rest is just pure profit, because I don’t know if you know this but Toys For Bob are responsible for a billion dollar IP called Skylanders. 

This whole trilogy is not made to make money but to have good PR, just like Crash N.Sane Trilogy. Keeping Activision within good graces of the consumer base and a good image for the company. 

Its only convenient for us, the “entitled” gamers that these games are good and worth playing so it’s working, everyone wins :) 

Edit: if you know anything about the games industry, you would know that not everyone makes 50k/year. QA gets paid like shit. Also, usually more than 50% of a game’s budget is not actually put into development but into marketing, cheers. 

Spyro took no effort and you're in the gaming industry? Did you not see that the trilogy was in development for 3 years? Did you not see my breakdown of salaries. Most of the budget is no longer 50% in marketing because of Social Media being free and around 75% of gamers find out about games this way. I'm also in the gaming industry and use common sense. When a game is already not a full priced game and you are getting 3 games rebuilt from the ground up and the fact is in this day and age "if" you have slow internet or low download usage then you shouldn't own this gen of consoles. Go back and look at Fallout 76 and look at the first download update patch on the PS4 being 48gb and there has been 2 or 3 since then. Whereas this game had an 17.5gb roughly download. So, I reiterate if you have slow speeds and limited use then don't own this gen of consoles because if you do you should expect big patches and downloads.