Guide of the Year Awards 2018

Dragon-Archon

We wanted it to where there can be more winners this year for more things and have ways of recognizing more things in particular, and this can also make nominations more fun too! Hope everyone enjoys Guide of the Year Awards this year! :) 

9 minutes ago, knoef_NL said:

No category for VR games :'(. 

We really thought about this one too, but ultimately wanted to focus on 7 this year and see if we can pull it off before deciding to expand to more :P 

Edited by BlindMango

5 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

@Dragon-Archon Do other countries even have Thanksgiving? I was under the impression that it's more of a U.S. thing...

Also, I'm also always ready for a good pat on the back! I wish everyone realized that they are winners.

Yeah I found that interesting he typed that too, especially since Dragon is from the Netherlands :P 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

Yeah I found that interesting he typed that too, especially since Dragon is from the Netherlands :P 

Apparently, Thanksgiving is observed in the Netherlands by the orthodox Protestant church on the first Wednesday in November, but it doesn't look like it's a public holiday and not really celebrated with feasts and parades etc. like it is here in the US.

I know that Canada also celebrate Thanksgiving but I think that was around mid-October

• Like 2

I'm glad to see the addition of these new categories. In previous years, guides for DLC and niche games often didn't get the recognition they deserved, and the same goes for gameplay guides. It's nice that guide writers are encouraged to update their guide as well.

I apologise if I just missed this, but can the same guide be nominated for multiple categories and guide of the year? I can think of some guides that qualify for more than one.

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, killivincent said:

A question: Could there be any category for Japanese guides? A prize award for guide writers who write guide for Japanese/Korean/Chinese version?

That's something we kept putting on and off the table multiple times. I personally love the idea but it's something we couldn't quite figure out between the team.  For this year we're thinking just based on trying to figure out all the categories and how they'll all be managed, however definitely nominate those under the Niche game category or any other one that applies when the time comes!

2 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I'm glad to see the addition of these new categories. In previous years, guides for DLC and niche games often didn't get the recognition they deserved, and the same goes for gameplay guides. It's nice that guide writers are encouraged to update their guide as well.

I apologise if I just missed this, but can the same guide be nominated for multiple categories and guide of the year? I can think of some guides that qualify for more than one.

We're still looking into nomination rules, but a single guide will only be able to win one award overall and a writer can't win more than one award within in a single category

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

We're still looking into nomination rules, but a single guide will only be able to win one award overall and a writer can't win more than one award within in a single category

Hmm, okay. This creates an interesting dilemma where it will be hard to decide whether to nominate a guide for a category or guide of the year since it can only win one.

Big fan of the new categories, they’re a great solution to make sure “smaller” guides don’t get overshadowed again. 

On a sidenote it’s crazy that this is already the 5th time you’re doing this. Feels like it’s been 3 years at most.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

@Dragon-Archon Do other countries even have Thanksgiving? I was under the impression that it's more of a U.S. thing...

Also, I'm also always ready for a good pat on the back! I wish everyone realized that they are winners.

14 hours ago, BlindMango said:

As ironic as this is going being a guide team member, I'll still say it: don't sweat the details :awesome: .

13 hours ago, killivincent said:

A question: Could there be any category for Japanese guides? A prize award for guide writers who write guide for Japanese/Korean/Chinese version?

Just a thought I had, since there is lot of helpful Japanese guides in the site that I'm pretty sure many people have found helpful.

We had a category for that, but in the end decided to scrap a few since there were too many and use this as a test run to see how things will work out.

13 hours ago, knoef_NL said:

I will pay @Dragon-Archon a visit and we will make our own thanksgiving with turkey's and games!

Sounds like a plan, I'll start brewing the special drink: Dragon Fire, a booze so spicy it makes you breathe fire :awesome: .

1 hour ago, Happy said:

Big fan of the new categories, they’re a great solution to make sure “smaller” guides don’t get overshadowed again. 

On a sidenote it’s crazy that this is already the 5th time you’re doing this. Feels like it’s been 3 years at most.

Yeah time really flies.

14 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

As ironic as this is going being a guide team member, I'll still say it: don't sweat the details :awesome: .

We had a category for that, but in the end decided to scrap a few since there were too many and use this as a test run to see how things will work out.

Sounds like a plan, I'll start brewing the special drink: Dragon Fire, a booze so spicy it makes you breathe fire :awesome: .

Yeah time really flies.

Hit me up for that Dutch thanksgiving, we will eat stuffed turkey with stroopwafels =)

• Like 1