4K TVs for Gaming

Seskinator

Hello folks,

Just wanted to ask a question related to 4K TVs and if this one in particular is good bc it is very affordable for me at this time.

I only have a vanilla PS4, but I know they come with the HDR upscale function if you are playing on a 4K TV.

Not planing to buy a Pro ever.

Here is the TV of my choice:

Samsung 55NU7100 Flat 55” 4K UHD 7 Series Smart TV 2018

Please let me know if this is a good choice for my specific gaming needs.

Thank you! 

rtings.com is a good place to consult for stuff like this. Remember, there are 4K TVs out there which give 'fake HDR' i.e non 10-bit panels. Also avoid QLED. Faux technology that oversells itself to customers who don't want to hit the OLED price range just yet.

53 minutes ago, Hakoom said:

the best gaming 4k tvs are the LG OLEDs

i have the B6 myself and the best 1 out there is the C8 version

OLED kills the competition

I agree OLED is great for HDR content however non HDR content can have cushed blacks unless your ramp the brightness up a heap. So keep that in mind when considering OLED. I have the C7 myself

9 hours ago, Gibbo_0113 said:

I agree OLED is great for HDR content however non HDR content can have cushed blacks unless your ramp the brightness up a heap. So keep that in mind when considering OLED. I have the C7 myself

there are 2 modes on my oled when playing

the hdr mode and the normal mode

you can customize both modes to which ever color you see fit so they wont use hdr settings for non hdr games

the only downside i have seen so far with OLEDs is the image burn.. other than that i see np :D

1 hour ago, Seskinator said:

Okay thank you for the info! But does anyone know about the tv I specifically listed? 

I can’t afford an oled right now :-/ 

According to rtings.com...

The Samsung NU7100 is a decent 4k LED TV. It has decent picture quality with a good native contrast ratio but lacks more advanced features to improve the dark room performance such as local dimming. It has extremely low input lag which is excellent for gamers but the response time is only decent so some blur is visible behind fast moving objects. When viewed at an angle the image also loses accuracy, so the best picture is reserved for those directly in front of the TV.

So it seems like a pretty decent television for playing games, though I don't have any personal experience. 

Parker

Edited by Parker
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Parker said:

According to rtings.com...

So it seems like a pretty decent television for playing games, though I don't have any personal experience. 

Parker

^^^^^This @Seskinator I don't buy a tv that's not on rtings.com. You know exactly what you're getting. Shame they can't do every tv.

Having said that, unless you're determined to have a 4k tv. I would wait until Oleds become cheaper.

I still have my 1080p Panasonic plasma from 2009(that I bought used!), and you'll have to rip it from my cold dead hands for me to switch to 4k LCD. Though I may switch for a really great stable oled with hdr in the future when they're cheaper.

Edited by Dav9834

Thank you all! I think I'm sticking with my choice for the Samsung NU7100! It seems to be good for gaming! Thank you for all the info, everyone! :-D 

Also another plus is the screen size will be bigger and I'm more of a single player gamer than multiplayer. So I'm not complaining with my choice. 

On 11/10/2018 at 0:35 PM, Gibbo_0113 said:

It's not necessary to bump up the contrast to unusual levels to fix the crushed blacks. My there's a dynamic setting you can toggle which fixes this (like in my C7).