How do I obtain SS ranks?

B4d4ssHunt4r

5 hours ago, ThaiChi said:

It's all based on your score. The lower the difficulty, the lower your score can be to get an SS. First set in the Journey on normal I've got a score 64k and that netted me an SS

It also seems to be based on other factors for the Effect modes. For example, in Master mode, I got around 6000 points from a game and got a C, but I then started a game on M30, cleared one line for 15,000, but still got a D even though the score was far higher. And of course, the Focus modes are likely based around the actual things they want (combos, purified blocks, all clears, etc) more than the score at the end.

• Like 1

This is a game for hardcore fans only, period. There is no tutorial to do T-Spins or Back-to-Back, no hints, nothing - they assume you already know that kind of stuff. And, aparently, it’s the only way to get S or SS -_-

Some stuff here could easily be more accessible, but no, they force players to invest an extreme amount of time to get used to it and be THE best -_-

Kinda disappointing, I actually enjoyed the game in a way, but frustrating in another.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/11/2018 at 8:18 PM, marioexpert1999 said:

Sorry to be so late. 

Link to a reddit that also mentions the conditions to get SS ranks on the bottom. Done by me. Master mode as far as I'm aware is the only mode where only line clears matter and nothing else! 

Pretty much a lie since there is a tutorial....

"Options" -> "Tutorial" -> "Basics" or "Techniques" 

They got you covered. You simply need to well... look at the game. 

Thanks for the guide dude. Now I know what I'm aiming for when it comes to S ranks 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2018 at 11:08 AM, marioexpert1999 said:

No problem. It's a very small guide on that reddit so feel free to ask for tips.

Though I do not know every E D C B A S condition. Besides E = 0 at the very least xD. 

Does getting an SS rank on the endless variant of an effects mode count toward the gold trophy? For instance, I got an SS on the endless countdown mode — was just fooling around — but in the main menu it doesn’t show the SS badge to signify I got max rank on the countdown mode. Is that normal or does it mean I still have to SS the timed version of everything?

8 hours ago, Fleks_Mhteam said:

Unfortunately you will need SS rank on all the non-endless modes for the trophy. Countdown being one of the more frustrating modes to SS due to the high rng.

Ah, well I figured as much. Thanks man. This plat is definitely a 10/10 in difficulty if you're not a Tetris veteran. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Elegy said:

I am only needing SS in ultra and sprint for platinum right now.  5 seconds away from the sprint SS and its just so grueling to play at that speed on the controller.  I have spent a ton of time playing this game (over 200 hours now since it came out in Nov.) as I had basically no Tetris experience back when I started in November, but there really isn't any easy way to get the sprint time without a ton of time investment into Tetris.  This is easily one of the hardest trophies I've ever attempted, but its sorta frustrating because its so stupidly easy for people who have been playing Tetris for a long time haha.

I share your pain, sprint and ultra are the ones I am missing as well. 7 seconds on sprint and 2000 points on ultra. And yes long time Tetris players will mostly do all the SS ranks in less than 2 hours journey included but they also invested thousands of hours and years of practice. I am clocking around 160 hours now and it may still take a good amount of time to chip away those 7 seconds.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Elegy said:

A friend of mine did the SS everywhere trophy on an alternate account to test if you could do endless instead of the normal variation and he was able to pop the trophy only doing endless countdown.  He also got the trophy only getting SS on beginner journey.  If you leave your selection on top of the modes with endless variations it will eventually show you your endless score/rank as well.  It flips back and forth when you highlight the mode in the Effects menu.  Endless countdown/marathon are much easier than the normal variation.  I only managed to get S but very close to SS on both of the normal variations so far, but got SS on both in endless mode my first try pretty much.  Endless mystery isn't really any easier than the normal version since the mode is more luck based in whether you get beneficial effects because you can't hardly do any difficult line clears with all the garbage it throws at you.

I am only needing SS in ultra and sprint for platinum right now.  5 seconds away from the sprint SS and its just so grueling to play at that speed on the controller.  I have spent a ton of time playing this game (over 200 hours now since it came out in Nov.) as I had basically no Tetris experience back when I started in November, but there really isn't any easy way to get the sprint time without a ton of time investment into Tetris.  This is easily one of the hardest trophies I've ever attempted, but its sorta frustrating because its so stupidly easy for people who have been playing Tetris for a long time haha.

Ah, well that would help then! Hopefully I can get in a position to confirm that for myself, too. I'm in a similar boat as you, mostly started from scratch a couple weeks ago, but I managed to SS all of the Journey and a few other effects modes. I'm still in the late 1:30s on Sprint — that's at least way better than where I was just a couple days ago, but it's gonna take me a long time to get anywhere near 1:10. Ultra I think I could do some day by drilling ST stacking or some other T-Spin method into my head, but that's a whole other ordeal. Just gonna take time, as you said. Good luck!

Edited by JD-D2

8 hours ago, TechnicalPixel said:

Does anyone know what the SS score requirements are for all the Effect Modes? 

Marathon: 500 000

Ultra: 35 000   

Sprint: 1min 10s

Master: Clear 150 lines

Chill: 300 000

Quick play: 10 000

Playlists: 40 000

All Clear: 30

Combo: 120

Target: 30

Countdown: 55 000

Purify: 450 and finish

Mystery: 400 000 and clear 150 lines

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Fleks_Mhteam said:

Marathon: 500 000

Ultra: 35 000   

Sprint: 1min 10s

Master: Clear 150 lines

Chill: 300 000

Quick play: 10 000

Playlists: 40 000

All Clear: 30

Combo: 120

Target: 30

Countdown: 55 000

Purify: 450 and finish

Mystery: 400 000 and clear 150 lines

Thank you! Any tips on how to get Marathon 500,000? 

2 hours ago, TechnicalPixel said:

Thank you! Any tips on how to get Marathon 500,000? 

If you have trouble using t-spins consistently it is best to start at the highest speed level.

Edited by Fleks_Mhteam
  • Like 1

I am still an amateur myself and just started playing Tetris more seriously two month ago with the launch of Tetris Effect. I was fortunate enough to have @marioexpert1999 helping me out with tricks and strategies to improve my game. He live-streamed showing me the best ways to tackle the effect modes ( SS ranking them all in less than an hour) and with a lot of practice and his advice I was able to up my game significantly in a relatively short amount of time. In the end its only practice, practice, practice and how well your muscle memory adapts to the game, there is no work around, no special trick, it is purely skill based.

When it comes to sprint I had talks with different pro/tournament players and they basically all said the same, practice to get better and it will come naturally, their time estimate was around 300 to 1000+ training hours depending how well your brain adapts to get under 1min10.

• Like 1

I'd agree with the 300+ hours estimate.  I am probably around 230ish hours of play and am about 4.5 seconds away from the 1:10 sprint.  I do think that it will come soon though as I've had several attempts where I was on par for the time but I get nervous and lose my focus and start to slow down a lot.  It is really unfortunate, but it is hard not to get nervous when you've been trying to do this for months.  My biggest enemy is mainly misdropping though.  I find it super difficult to get a clean sprint at high speeds with the d-pad due to how easy it is to hard drop by accident when just trying to tap left or right. 

I'll probably just teach myself ST stacking for Ultra.  I don't really want to try to do it with just B2B Tetris because you need to clear about 100 lines to get that score doing that and I am not sure I can stay consistent for that long over 3 minutes given how frustratingly inconsistent I am in sprint.  With ST stacking you only need about half that so you don't need to drop as many pieces or play as fast, you just need to know how to do it and not misdrop.

Edited by Elegy
  • Like 3