ryan32289

How do I obtain SS ranks?

69 posts in this topic

On 7/10/2019 at 10:35 PM, c-wangyu-c said:

4ba6a46761ab75fe34c792942745f791.png

maybe we can try this to move fast ?

 

That's a static image, not a link to a video btw.

I've posted in this thread earlier, but I've played about 200 hours on and off since January -- treating it more like a "second game" I fool around with when I want a break from whatever "main game" I'm playing at the time -- and I've gotten my sprint time down from the 1:40 range to 1:15. I only have Sprint, Ultra, and Combo left to SS. Shaving those last few seconds off is so hard, because you almost can't think about what you're doing -- you just have to feel it, as if it's instinct. I have no real advice for people other than keep playing until Tetris is ingrained in your head.

My worst habit is that I only rotate Tetrominoes in one direction -- as in, I'll rotate a block three times to the right instead of once to the left to get it into the position I want. I know this is losing me time, but I'm too far gone to go back and break my muscle memory. No real point to this post except to say that 1. this is an 11/10 plat, so congrats to those that have it and 2. keep playing and I guarantee you will get better. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019/7/19 at 7:10 AM, JD-D2 said:

 

That's a static image, not a link to a video btw.

I've posted in this thread earlier, but I've played about 200 hours on and off since January -- treating it more like a "second game" I fool around with when I want a break from whatever "main game" I'm playing at the time -- and I've gotten my sprint time down from the 1:40 range to 1:15. I only have Sprint, Ultra, and Combo left to SS. Shaving those last few seconds off is so hard, because you almost can't think about what you're doing -- you just have to feel it, as if it's instinct. I have no real advice for people other than keep playing until Tetris is ingrained in your head.

My worst habit is that I only rotate Tetrominoes in one direction -- as in, I'll rotate a block three times to the right instead of once to the left to get it into the position I want. I know this is losing me time, but I'm too far gone to go back and break my muscle memory. No real point to this post except to say that 1. this is an 11/10 plat, so congrats to those that have it and 2. keep playing and I guarantee you will get better. 

 

 

 

 

sample video but i try this it seems not so fast than i think.

Edited by c-wangyu-c
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen that method a few times, but I never tried it myself.  It seems like it'd be faster for people who struggle with stacking and piece placement as you always put pieces in the same regions.. very similar to ST stacking in that the pieces always have set zones and you just take advantage of the 7 bag randomizer to loop.  Main problem with it is that you have to soft drop sometimes.  You also need to be careful with your S/Z towers because the T will reverse it so it would probably be best to hold your T pieces to always place two at a time.

Edited by Elegy
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if I want to sink 200 - 400 hours into this game. I'm typically horrible at puzzle games and this will only frustrate me.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well right now I am not sure if I want to try it any further or not.

 

I had a break for some months now and I just can not see myself reaching that time. The only SS I need is for Sprint and for Ultra (I did not try Ultra that often yet). But for Sprint I have no idea how to improve my time.

 

Do you think it would be better to play on a smaller screen ? For example a 24" Monitor instead of a big TV screen ?

 

No idea how to go on and I do not want to ask random singles in my area to help me out with that (if you wanna do so, lol, just contact me.)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Yoey_666 said:

Well right now I am not sure if I want to try it any further or not.

 

I had a break for some months now and I just can not see myself reaching that time. The only SS I need is for Sprint and for Ultra (I did not try Ultra that often yet). But for Sprint I have no idea how to improve my time.

 

Do you think it would be better to play on a smaller screen ? For example a 24" Monitor instead of a big TV screen ?

 

No idea how to go on and I do not want to ask random singles in my area to help me out with that (if you wanna do so, lol, just contact me.)

What's your time ? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, PreLoki said:

What's your time ? 

 

1:27, but that was like 6 months ago. I had a break until now and now I just can not seem to get back into it and improve myself.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Yoey_666 said:

 

1:27, but that was like 6 months ago. I had a break until now and now I just can not seem to get back into it and improve myself.

Good progress. 

Breaks are not a bad thing, but 6 months seems like a long time to get out of your tetris element, you know.

I’m afraid you can’t escape to practice this for hours.

I mean it’s not unrealistic for you to get plat with some practice.

 

No profound tips here, some tips are already pointed out in this thread, but I hope it still helps and gives you (and others) courage not to give up.

 

I know it seemed ridiculous to me beating the time below 1:40 over a month ago, but here I am:

 

-Aim low, -> 1:30 until you beat it, now 1:28, rinse and repeat step by step.

 

-Try to play at least for one or half an hour everyday, just to get in the flow and building your muscle memory.

 

-Maybe change your button layout? e.g. R1 seems a better way to drop pieces IMO.

 

-Also, it kinda sounds silly, but try to find your way on how to hold the controller. Perhaps don’t put your finger on R1 directly and move it an inch further away, it helped me to react a little faster. Hope it makes sense.

 

-Avoid looking at the time and maybe turn off the music 

 

About the screen size, you know you can adjust it in the game right? Maybe change it enough to see everything on the screen without moving your eye all that much.

 

I also watched a couple attempts on youtube, and compared them. 

 

here is my attempt if you're curious:

Spoiler

 

there're probably more tips, but this is what I can think of right now. 

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today was the first day I took some time to play and I was able to improve my time to 1:19, so I think I will eventually do it someday. I just keep tryin.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW I took a couple months break after SS-ing Sprint (which took me more than 100 hours), then got SS in Ultra in a couple of days. So once you have the concepts molded into your brain, you should be able to get back into it even after taking a breather. I pray the worst is behind me lol, 190 hours and counting now in total. 

 

For Ultra, though, learn to ST stack. Makes it so much easier once you wrap your head around T-spins.

Edited by JD-D2
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah right now I am at 1:14.. so I hope that I will break that 1:10 in a few days.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

love the game, super psychedelic but kinda regret starting it... 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yoey_666 said:

Finally got that Sprint with 1:08...

 

Now, on to Ultra :D

Congrats! You have (arguably) the hardest mode out of your way.

ST stacking just like @JD-D2 or others wrote is very efficient way to earn SS Rank on Ultra, look it up if you don't know it already.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14.12.2019 at 4:01 PM, PreLoki said:

Congrats! You have (arguably) the hardest mode out of your way.

ST stacking just like @JD-D2 or others wrote is very efficient way to earn SS Rank on Ultra, look it up if you don't know it already.

 

Thanks ! I will try tomorrow. Sadly forgot to record my sprint run afterwards :/

 

Edit: So I've read myself into ST stacking and improved to 33k already. Not the best yet, but I guess I will be done in a few days.

Edited by Yoey_666
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I have the Achievement...

 

Thanks everyone for the tipps and motivation !

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2019 at 1:54 PM, Yoey_666 said:

And I have the Achievement...

 

Thanks everyone for the tipps and motivation !

 

Congrats, brother! It's a fantastic feeling, isn't it? I finished off the plat myself yesterday (getting to 1 million rotations was a bit of a grind), and just wanted to echo that sentiment -- thank you to everyone here for the motivation and the sense of community. This one will be staying on my virtual mantle for sure, haha. Hard work!

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.