How do I obtain SS ranks?

B4d4ssHunt4r

On 7/10/2019 at 10:35 PM, c-wangyu-c said:

4ba6a46761ab75fe34c792942745f791.png

maybe we can try this to move fast ?

That's a static image, not a link to a video btw.

I've posted in this thread earlier, but I've played about 200 hours on and off since January -- treating it more like a "second game" I fool around with when I want a break from whatever "main game" I'm playing at the time -- and I've gotten my sprint time down from the 1:40 range to 1:15. I only have Sprint, Ultra, and Combo left to SS. Shaving those last few seconds off is so hard, because you almost can't think about what you're doing -- you just have to feel it, as if it's instinct. I have no real advice for people other than keep playing until Tetris is ingrained in your head.

My worst habit is that I only rotate Tetrominoes in one direction -- as in, I'll rotate a block three times to the right instead of once to the left to get it into the position I want. I know this is losing me time, but I'm too far gone to go back and break my muscle memory. No real point to this post except to say that 1. this is an 11/10 plat, so congrats to those that have it and 2. keep playing and I guarantee you will get better. 

On 2019/7/19 at 7:10 AM, JD-D2 said:

That's a static image, not a link to a video btw.

I've posted in this thread earlier, but I've played about 200 hours on and off since January -- treating it more like a "second game" I fool around with when I want a break from whatever "main game" I'm playing at the time -- and I've gotten my sprint time down from the 1:40 range to 1:15. I only have Sprint, Ultra, and Combo left to SS. Shaving those last few seconds off is so hard, because you almost can't think about what you're doing -- you just have to feel it, as if it's instinct. I have no real advice for people other than keep playing until Tetris is ingrained in your head.

My worst habit is that I only rotate Tetrominoes in one direction -- as in, I'll rotate a block three times to the right instead of once to the left to get it into the position I want. I know this is losing me time, but I'm too far gone to go back and break my muscle memory. No real point to this post except to say that 1. this is an 11/10 plat, so congrats to those that have it and 2. keep playing and I guarantee you will get better. 

sample video but i try this it seems not so fast than i think.

Edited by c-wangyu-c

I have seen that method a few times, but I never tried it myself.  It seems like it'd be faster for people who struggle with stacking and piece placement as you always put pieces in the same regions.. very similar to ST stacking in that the pieces always have set zones and you just take advantage of the 7 bag randomizer to loop.  Main problem with it is that you have to soft drop sometimes.  You also need to be careful with your S/Z towers because the T will reverse it so it would probably be best to hold your T pieces to always place two at a time.

Edited by Elegy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well right now I am not sure if I want to try it any further or not.

I had a break for some months now and I just can not see myself reaching that time. The only SS I need is for Sprint and for Ultra (I did not try Ultra that often yet). But for Sprint I have no idea how to improve my time.

Do you think it would be better to play on a smaller screen ? For example a 24" Monitor instead of a big TV screen ?

No idea how to go on and I do not want to ask random singles in my area to help me out with that (if you wanna do so, lol, just contact me.)

20 minutes ago, Yoey_666 said:

Well right now I am not sure if I want to try it any further or not.

I had a break for some months now and I just can not see myself reaching that time. The only SS I need is for Sprint and for Ultra (I did not try Ultra that often yet). But for Sprint I have no idea how to improve my time.

Do you think it would be better to play on a smaller screen ? For example a 24" Monitor instead of a big TV screen ?

No idea how to go on and I do not want to ask random singles in my area to help me out with that (if you wanna do so, lol, just contact me.)

What's your time ? 

5 hours ago, Yoey_666 said:

1:27, but that was like 6 months ago. I had a break until now and now I just can not seem to get back into it and improve myself.

Good progress. 

Breaks are not a bad thing, but 6 months seems like a long time to get out of your tetris element, you know.

I’m afraid you can’t escape to practice this for hours.

I mean it’s not unrealistic for you to get plat with some practice.

No profound tips here, some tips are already pointed out in this thread, but I hope it still helps and gives you (and others) courage not to give up.

I know it seemed ridiculous to me beating the time below 1:40 over a month ago, but here I am:

-Aim low, -> 1:30 until you beat it, now 1:28, rinse and repeat step by step.

-Try to play at least for one or half an hour everyday, just to get in the flow and building your muscle memory.

-Maybe change your button layout? e.g. R1 seems a better way to drop pieces IMO.

-Also, it kinda sounds silly, but try to find your way on how to hold the controller. Perhaps don’t put your finger on R1 directly and move it an inch further away, it helped me to react a little faster. Hope it makes sense.

-Avoid looking at the time and maybe turn off the music 

About the screen size, you know you can adjust it in the game right? Maybe change it enough to see everything on the screen without moving your eye all that much.

I also watched a couple attempts on youtube, and compared them. 

here is my attempt if you're curious:

Spoiler

there're probably more tips, but this is what I can think of right now. 

• Like 1

FWIW I took a couple months break after SS-ing Sprint (which took me more than 100 hours), then got SS in Ultra in a couple of days. So once you have the concepts molded into your brain, you should be able to get back into it even after taking a breather. I pray the worst is behind me lol, 190 hours and counting now in total. 

For Ultra, though, learn to ST stack. Makes it so much easier once you wrap your head around T-spins.

Edited by JD-D2

On 14.12.2019 at 4:01 PM, PreLoki said:

Congrats! You have (arguably) the hardest mode out of your way.

ST stacking just like @JD-D2 or others wrote is very efficient way to earn SS Rank on Ultra, look it up if you don't know it already.

Thanks ! I will try tomorrow. Sadly forgot to record my sprint run afterwards :/

Edit: So I've read myself into ST stacking and improved to 33k already. Not the best yet, but I guess I will be done in a few days.

Edited by Yoey_666

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2019 at 1:54 PM, Yoey_666 said:

And I have the Achievement...

Thanks everyone for the tipps and motivation !

Congrats, brother! It's a fantastic feeling, isn't it? I finished off the plat myself yesterday (getting to 1 million rotations was a bit of a grind), and just wanted to echo that sentiment -- thank you to everyone here for the motivation and the sense of community. This one will be staying on my virtual mantle for sure, haha. Hard work!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 1/15/2019 at 6:54 AM, Elegy said:

A friend of mine did the SS everywhere trophy on an alternate account to test if you could do endless instead of the normal variation and he was able to pop the trophy only doing endless countdown.  He also got the trophy only getting SS on beginner journey.  If you leave your selection on top of the modes with endless variations it will eventually show you your endless score/rank as well.  It flips back and forth when you highlight the mode in the Effects menu.  Endless countdown/marathon are much easier than the normal variation.  I only managed to get S but very close to SS on both of the normal variations so far, but got SS on both in endless mode my first try pretty much.  Endless mystery isn't really any easier than the normal version since the mode is more luck based in whether you get beneficial effects because you can't hardly do any difficult line clears with all the garbage it throws at you.

I am only needing SS in ultra and sprint for platinum right now.  5 seconds away from the sprint SS and its just so grueling to play at that speed on the controller.  I have spent a ton of time playing this game (over 200 hours now since it came out in Nov.) as I had basically no Tetris experience back when I started in November, but there really isn't any easy way to get the sprint time without a ton of time investment into Tetris.  This is easily one of the hardest trophies I've ever attempted, but its sorta frustrating because its so stupidly easy for people who have been playing Tetris for a long time haha.

The knowledge of endless variation also counting towards SS everywhere is quite something. I'm like over 1 year late xD. I received no notification after I posted wow. Thanks for sharing that info. I will trust you on the accuracy of it and update my guide according to it.

I also saw how people got Plat here and how tips got shared around. Very happy to see the achievements made here ^^

P. S. While I'm not a trophy hunter, Tetris Effect's Platin isn't a 10/10 difficulty. I just want to tell that Tetris is a game that if you love it, you learn it naturally. By now there are 79 who have platinum. A lot of people miss 1 trophy, a grinding one. A lot of people are now on PC only so will likely never get platinum on ps4. 

Meanwhile there are 14 people who achieved Grand Master rank on TGM3. 

I see this being brought up as highly difficult and imo it discourages more than it should. By all means it is not easy. You need to train for it! Just it isn't as difficult considering how hard platinums can be. (there is a game that requires you to be #1 in a mode world wide for a trophy...) 

Edited by marioexpert1999
Left out info that was needed

• 7 months later...
On 7/20/2019 at 0:34 AM, c-wangyu-c said:

sample video but i try this it seems not so fast than i think.

With enough finesse training, that stacking method might be a good strat for Sprint, since all pieces have like 1 or 2 places where we want them to be (except for T which has 6, and 1 of these only applies to the first T).

I'm sure as hell trying that 'cause I'm kinda desperate, as I have only 3 effect modes left to SS (Sprint, Combo and Target), and Sprint is the only one I can't get a single S for now.

Edited by FahrenheitFrenzy

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to say that I got a painfully close time of 1:10.05 on Sprint.

*cries in back-to-back Tetrises language*

Update: I got 1:09.10, finally. Now I just have to grind for the remaining 400k spins and this hard as hell plat will be mine! I'm so relieved...

Edited by FahrenheitFrenzy
I beat my worst Tetris nightmare

• 5 months later...

Well, I'm progressing pretty well lately. I got all the miscelanious skill-based trophies out of the way now (the 10 back-to-backs, the Combo van Gogh, the 18 lines in the zone) and I'm pretty close to SS on the Journey levels (only 2 to go).
Also got some SS rankings on various Effect modes (the easier ones), however... those last effect modes will definitely prove the hardest for me to clear. I have absolutely no idea how I'll ever make Sprint in 70 seconds and there's Purify, Combo, Master.

I always loved Tetris, but this game is making me perform all sorts of tricks I didn't even realize existed. 
Have no idea whether I can become good enough to platinum this game, but as long as I'm still having fun trying... I'll stick with it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 09/03/2021 at 4:12 AM, FahrenheitFrenzy said:

Just wanted to say that I got a painfully close time of 1:10.05 on Sprint.

*cries in back-to-back Tetrises language*

Update: I got 1:09.10, finally. Now I just have to grind for the remaining 400k spins and this hard as hell plat will be mine! I'm so relieved...

Did you do it following the patterns in the post above yours?

I have always believed I would never get the platinum here, but a recent push on the effect modes has left me with just sprint as the big hurdle I have to clear. I haven’t got Master yet, but I just cleared 149 lines so I think I can get that in time, or Mystery - which is pure luck so not stressing about that one.

But Sprint ><

Fastest I have ever gone is 1:39 (barely A rank) and I never got that close again. 

edit - also I’m at 973,000 rotations without grinding lol. I’m going to get that trophy before I can get all SS.

Edited by Darwock-UK

• 3 weeks later...

After 2 weeks of blood, sweat and tears I only managed to get down as low as 1m 29s, and I haven’t matched that since. I don’t know how to improve.

I think my main fault is lacking the instinct for smooth stacking. I hesitate, and if I try not to hesitate my stack ends up as series of vertical spikes. I have stopped using hold which probably helped a little.

Second problem is poor inputs. I quite often don’t drop a piece in the position I wanted to. Usually miss by one space when this happens. I’m trying out an arcade stick in case it’s the DS4 d-pad that’s to blame, but that means building new muscle memory so my times have dropped for the time being. Although, tetriminos per minute has gone up, only the line clears per minute has taken a hit. Interesting stat.

I practice in two ways - one is in quick play (chill) mode, with no hold, ghost piece turned off, and next queue reduced to 1 - this is to encourage me to look at the previews and do the inputs accurately (you’re a lot less likely to rotate multiple times when you’re not seeing the ghost feedback - just get it right the first time). I take as much time as I need here to avoid messing up the stack.

The other practice is doing actual attempts at speed with the arcade stick, ghost piece turned back on and next queue set to 4. Still keeping hold turned off here though, when I have that available I abuse it way too much and still get bad stacks.

No idea if I’m on the right track - most advice I’ve seen is just ‘play more’, but I seem to lack whatever instinct I need for improvement.

Edited by Darwock-UK