long time pc gamer turning trophy hunter

kielbasacomrade

ive been pc gaming for 15 years and only dabbled a little into consoles except for AAA playstation exclusives over the years. i never really cared about trophies that much when i was playing ps games but i did a playthrough of the newest god of war game and once i beat i found myself trying to gather all the trophies. so now im on mission. any advice on trophy gathering? should i look into the game before hand and try to plan it out? just pick up and play? my plan at first are going to be games i already beat or games i really enjoyed then going from there. i stream on twitch and wondering if anyone is even interested in watching this type of stuff or just keep it to my offline gaming sessions? 

First of all welcome to the world of trophy hunting.

When it comes to advice on trophy hunting a good chunk of it is in preference and knowing what kind of achievement hunter you want to be. For instance are you satisfied with getting the platinum and then moving on to another game or are you more compelled to get 100% on games despite some lacking a platinum and are you willing to go buy DLC’s for games you’ve already done.

Your preference on hunting will dictate your approach to games so it’s important to consider that first.

16 minutes ago, DrHambone said:

Definitely don't play a game only based off the trophies, unless you truly want to. If a game looks too difficult but could be really fun, then you're hurting yourself. As for streaming, that's up to you! Some people will watch it to see what you did but the vast majority watching probably won't care too much.

im definitely not going to play a game i dont like just to get trophies i dont want to hate myself haha

4 minutes ago, ArtisticGeek said:

First of all welcome to the world of trophy hunting.

When it comes to advice on trophy hunting a good chunk of it is in preference and knowing what kind of achievement hunter you want to be. For instance are you satisfied with getting the platinum and then moving on to another game or are you more compelled to get 100% on games despite some lacking a platinum and are you willing to go buy DLC’s for games you’ve already done.

Your preference on hunting will dictate your approach to games so it’s important to consider that first.

depends on the game but if i really get into it i want to 100% it like i mentioned gow im for sure going to 100% it

When buying a new game, I recommend you first look at reviews from 2 or 3 websites to see if this game might be worth playing. Then you look up a trophy guide to see whether you plan to platinum it or just play for fun. There is the option of hiding trophies so for games you don't want to do 100% because of difficulty, glitches, massive amounts of grinding, etc. just hide the games on your profile. That way you can simply enjoy the game at your own leisure while having a high percentage of games 100% completed.

First of all Welcome to PSNProfiles, PlayStation and Trophy Hunting!

I'd say there's no one set method to trophy hunting - It's what works best for you.

Some people dive headlong into a new game/IP without checking trophies, primarily because they like the Developer, they've play previous games in the franchise or just want to play for fun, later looking into the trophies if there's anything their missing or a trophy description doesn't give much away.

There are a ton of people that check trophies before hand to see if the list's have a Platinum, if the list's too tough, any glitches/bugs stopping them from getting Platinum/100%, check to see if the game has a Trophy Guide or just to quickly run through the requirements for each, such as maybe needing 4-8 people for a specific trophy.

There's probably a ton more reasons for why people do or don't look at Trophies before starting a game. I'd definitely agree with @DrHambone here, don't just pick and choose games based of the difficulty/longevity of a Platinum or list. I'm one of those that went into The Crew knowing a couple of trophies were potentially glitched and got burnt by that but don't regret it.

Happy Trophy Hunting!

Personally, due to a number of bad experiences with usingposted missable trophies, I always check a trophy guide for missable trophies before I start a game. Being careful to avoid spoilers. I don't really care about 100% completion as I'm not a DLC buyer (usually moved on to new games by the tie it's released) but I do like going for platinum on games I like. As my profile here attests, if I dot like a game or become bored ill just drop it. I've got lots of E rankings lol. 

4 hours ago, kielbasacomrade said:

ive been pc gaming for 15 years and only dabbled a little into consoles except for AAA playstation exclusives over the years. i never really cared about trophies that much when i was playing ps games but i did a playthrough of the newest god of war game and once i beat i found myself trying to gather all the trophies. so now im on mission. any advice on trophy gathering? should i look into the game before hand and try to plan it out? just pick up and play? my plan at first are going to be games i already beat or games i really enjoyed then going from there. i stream on twitch and wondering if anyone is even interested in watching this type of stuff or just keep it to my offline gaming sessions? 

Best advice is not to enter this world of trophy hunting. It will destroy your family life and health including the joy of playing games. 

That sound of the trophy popping will become addictive and there will be no turning back. You'll start off by going for difficult plats then using your rent money for easy cheap unenjoyable plats for a quick fix. The ps4 controller will be your needle so don't pick it up when arriving from work but go straight to the fridge and eat. Biggest lie you'll tell yourself is "Ill just play for an hour then eat" only to found yourself at 2am hungry and with a dry mouth in front of the TV hunting the last trophy that you've been trying to get for the plat. Then realize it's work in 3 hours time.

So stay away from trophy hunting.

Sorry I have to go eat before I pick up my controller. Goodbye fellow friend 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DF007gamer said:

Best advice is not to enter this world of trophy hunting. It will destroy your family life and health including the joy of playing games. 

That sound of the trophy popping will become addictive and there will be no turning back. You'll start off by going for difficult plats then using your rent money for easy cheap unenjoyable plats for a quick fix. The ps4 controller will be your needle so don't pick it up when arriving from work but go straight to the fridge and eat. Biggest lie you'll tell yourself is "Ill just play for an hour then eat" only to found yourself at 2am hungry and with a dry mouth in front of the TV hunting the last trophy that you've been trying to get for the plat. Then realize it's work in 3 hours time.

So stay away from trophy hunting.

Sorry I have to go eat before I pick up my controller. Goodbye fellow friend 

I hope this is sarcastic, this is called an addiction. Just like drinking and other stuff, do it responsible, doing it too much at the point it affects family, health and friends is too much.

Welcome to the trophy hunting community.

First of all play the games you want, don't look at the trophy list before playing them. If you are going for a 100% account try not to start games with unobtainable trophies, this includes glitched trophies and mp trophies.

Boosting sessions are the best way to knock out all mp trophies. Use them everytime you want and try always to find good players, if you see the same guy creating various sessions avoid him, most of the time he misses session and doesn't help you out after he gets the trophies. I'm saying this because it already happened to me.

Good luck

Edited by maiathewinners

@kielbasacomrade Just stay true to yourself, don't play games for trophies, if you're interested in a game don't let any difficult trophy talk you out of it. 

I was a pc gamer myself but when I bought a PS4 I never looked back, and I'm sure you won't. Making the most out of your games is truly rewarding not just for the trophies but as completionist standard, at least for me.

Also, playing short/easy games to get a higher world/country rank is not going to make you feel better, because at the end of the day noone cares about our profile but ourselves. 

thanks for all the responses. im going into this at the beginning pretty casually. im not going out of my way playing games i hate for trophies more like going through all the games ive played and liked in the past trying to get plat in them. who knows might become a big thing but right now im just focusing on a couple games the first 2 im going after is god of war and fallout 4