Dissidia Final Fantasy NT free-to-play version launches November 22 in Japan

MissShake

Square Enix will release a free-to-play version of Dissidia Final Fantasy NT for PlayStation 4 via the PlayStation Store on November 22 in Japan, the latest issue of Monthly Shonen Gangan reveals.

Here is an overview:

• The characters that can be used in the free-to-play will switch out at fixed intervals.
  • This is a free-to-play title that specializes in battles. Story Mode is not playable, and the specifications of some game modes are also different from the full version.
  • The free-to-play version can battle with other users of the free-to-play version, as well as users of the full version.
  • Save data from the free-to-play version can be carried over to the full version.
  • Some data from the arcade version can be carried over to the free-to-play version. (Only usable for content with lifted restrictions.)

Playable characters can be purchased individually for unlimited use in their “Basic Set” for 800 yen. Additionally, that character’s “2nd Form Set” and “4th Weapon, EX Weapon” can be purchased for an additional 300 yen and 100 yen, respectively. The 4th Weapon and EX Weapon can also be equipped to free-to-play characters during their usage period, if the character is compatible with said weapon.

Dissidia Final Fantasy NT is available now worldwide for PlayStation 4, and Dissidia Final Fantasy is available in Japanese arcades.

Source

A little peeved since I bought it on sale at $60 with the season pass. I wonder if this will happen in the west as well.

• 2 months later...

Hmm... sounds like something they did desperate to try and increase the # of active players for online multiplayer?

An unusual move to begin with - but when you factor in the fact that the Story Mode single player is not playable, and the fact that the multiplayer allows for the free folks to join against those who purchased the title…?

Well then, that sounds like just about the most straightforward of admissions that the servers were all but dead, and so they literally would do about anything to improve that experience for paid players - literally anything, up to and including giving the whole damn thing away for free!

I've yet to take the plunge toward buying/playing this, but have been on the fence about it for a while (But, I must concede, the odds of my doing so rapidly approach zero: Between RE2 Remake, KH3, and then still having to get through AC Odyssey, Dragon Quest 11, and a smattering of various horror titles both VR and otherwise... well, it ain't very likely I'll have the empty wide open space in my game queue such as to manage and get around to this anytime soon). As such, and given this bit of news here, I must say it is very much scaring me off from ever considering it: S-E, in essence, is coming out and saying the game is all but an absolute disaster for finding matches/other players online.

So... are the servers truly that bad as this here move would surely make them seem? Does this game represent a case where one best stay FAR clear of it, for the simple fact that the server population is on life support in an all but comatose state? Or rather, is there still a somewhat decent playerbase that yet remains for the game, making a purchase in the foreseeable future something that's not necessarily a huge blundering mistake as one launches the game and enters the world, only to immediately discover a veritable ghost town replete with tumbleweeds blowing to and fro?

Because... I gotta say: Giving only the multiplayer away for free just does not strike me as the move that any healthy, successful endeavor would ever dream of taking for itself - let alone coming less than even a full year from the initial release date of the game.