To buy or not to buy? My First Impressions video of this game.

cronocyde

Ready for yet another 16-bit platformer game? Then Emerald Shores for the Playstation 4 is for you! Is it a hit or a miss? Let's find out!

Realy liked what I played of the game so far. Glitches and technical issues aside, the core of the game is pretty fun. Not the best out there, but definitely give it a try if you like those types of games!

What are your thoughts on the game? Let me know in the comment section below :-) Thanks for watching!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, DrHambone said:

Nice, I plan on checking this one out! Maybe write a guide for it if I have the time. Looks straight forward, easy, and fun!

That would be awesome since I would really want to platinum the game on the Vita when the version will come out.

Also, if you're planning on writing a guide, Josh from FordeSoft sent me this guide, so it might help you: http://www.fordesoft.com/strategy-guides/emerald-shores/cover

• Like 1

Great video again, thanks for making it. ?

As a note to everyone hunting trophies: one of the trophies, the Low Level Run one specifically, is currently bugged.  There's a patch I have in Sony's QA right now that fixes it, and so hopefully that will go live within the next couple of days.  The issue is that the boss enemies give way too much exp, so it makes it impossible to complete the game without going over level 8.  So the patch reduces the amount of exp the bosses give, fixing that issue.

Conversely, this means that if you want to get the High Level Run trophy with minimal effort, you can do that before the patch hits, because the extra exp will level you up quite a bit. ;)  

The bug also makes level 1-3 a little easier by removing a bunch of the enemies.  I know a lot of people were getting stuck on that one.  And the last change is that it fixes a rare crashing bug that happens sometimes when you defeat an Orbster enemy a while after its spike projectiles have left the level boundaries.

Edited by Josh1billion
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Josh1billion said:

As a note to everyone hunting trophies: one of the trophies, the Low Level Run one specifically, is currently bugged.  There's a patch I have in Sony's QA right now that fixes it, and so hopefully that will go live within the next couple of days.  The issue is that the boss enemies give way too much exp, so it makes it impossible to complete the game without going over level 8.  So the patch reduces the amount of exp the bosses give, fixing that issue.

Shame. Based off this it sounds like I'll have to do a fourth run. 

Edited by Admiralvic

12 hours ago, Josh1billion said:

Great video again, thanks for making it. 1f604.png

Conversely, this means that if you want to get the High Level Run trophy with minimal effort, you can do that before the patch hits, because the extra exp will level you up quite a bit. ;)  

The bug also makes level 1-3 a little easier by removing a bunch of the enemies.  I know a lot of people were getting stuck on that one.  And the last change is that it fixes a rare crashing bug that happens sometimes when you defeat an Orbster enemy a while after its spike projectiles have left the level boundaries.

I will hold on before going for that platinum then, thanks for letting me know! So only the Low Level Run is glitched right now?

12 hours ago, Admiralvic said:

Shame. Based off this it sounds like I'll have to do a fourth run. 

How much time for a run exactly, if you rush through?

5 hours ago, cronocyde said:

I will hold on before going for that platinum then, thanks for letting me know! So only the Low Level Run is glitched right now?

How much time for a run exactly, if you rush through?

Yup, only the Low Level Run is glitched.

20 minutes is quick; I think it will take most people a little longer, even when rushing through.  It took me a little under an hour to 100% the normal mode, despite knowing the game inside and out.

Here's an easter egg for you guys, something I haven't publicized much: if you connect a second controller and press X, it'll enable a Tails-like mode where a second player can play as a Bootworm and offer a little assistance, dealing 5 damage per jump with simplified controls.  I put that feature in there mostly for parents so small children can play along, but it can also be useful if you get stuck on a tough boss/level.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Josh1billion said:

Yup, only the Low Level Run is glitched.

20 minutes is quick; I think it will take most people a little longer, even when rushing through.  It took me a little under an hour to 100% the normal mode, despite knowing the game inside and out.

Here's an easter egg for you guys, something I haven't publicized much: if you connect a second controller and press X, it'll enable a Tails-like mode where a second player can play as a Bootworm and offer a little assistance, dealing 5 damage per jump with simplified controls.  I put that feature in there mostly for parents so small children can play along, but it can also be useful if you get stuck on a tough boss/level.

As a parent, that's nice to know! ?

• Like 1

I got the platinum tonight, it was a fun game. The only part I found pretty hard was beating the final boss at level 8. I'd recommend it to trophy hunters as well as fans of old school platformers. There is lot's of variety in the game, plenty of cool hidden stuff, clever mechanics and cute characters/enemies. The RPG mechanic is a nice hook too.

Edited by breathofwater
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 5:39 PM, Josh1billion said:

The patch is live!  The game is officially platinum-able. 1f642.png  (and a little easier)

Thanks for the notice! Any news for the Vita version?

On 11/18/2018 at 0:53 AM, Admiralvic said:

I got to say, that is a disappointing way to stop me from being first. Y_Y

Gotta say, I laughed a little bit ?

On 11/18/2018 at 3:39 AM, breathofwater said:

I got the platinum tonight, it was a fun game. The only part I found pretty hard was beating the final boss at level 8. I'd recommend it to trophy hunters as well as fans of old school platformers. There is lot's of variety in the game, plenty of cool hidden stuff, clever mechanics and cute characters/enemies. The RPG mechanic is a nice hook too.

Congrats on the platinum my friend! Glad you liked the game ?

4 hours ago, cronocyde said:

Thanks for the notice! Any news for the Vita version?

Not 100% confirmed yet, but it looks like December 4 ?

The build took a lot more work to get approved than the PS4 build, and it took a lot of work to optimize before that.  Loading times in particular were a killer to optimize on Vita, but I'm happy to say they're down to a few short seconds instead of ~20 seconds.  I ended up writing a program to compress the levels into a faster-readable format for the Vita.. lots of work, but the experiment paid off in the end.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Josh1billion said:

Not 100% confirmed yet, but it looks like December 4 1f642.png

The build took a lot more work to get approved than the PS4 build, and it took a lot of work to optimize before that.  Loading times in particular were a killer to optimize on Vita, but I'm happy to say they're down to a few short seconds instead of ~20 seconds.  I ended up writing a program to compress the levels into a faster-readable format for the Vita.. lots of work, but the experiment paid off in the end.

I'm glad to hear that! I will be all over the PS Vita version when it will come out. Let us know here when the time come! ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Josh1billion said:

Vita version is out now, cross-buy with PS4 :) The trophy list is the same but separate, so you can earn an extra platinum.

Oh really? That's awesome! I noticed that too today :) 

Also, it's weird since the trophy list is listed as both PS4 and VITA, but there's 2 different trophy lists.

• Like 1