Bombo's name changed?

DrakeHellsing

Not sure if it's an EU thing or not, but for those that have played the level Scorch, what is the Flagkeeper's name for you guys? He was called Bob this time around for me (even in the trophy list for me, he's called Bob and not Bombo).  I mean, no big deal at all, just curious on if his name change is region or worlwide.

Here's the full list of everything that has been censored in the remastered games:

- Bombo is now called Bob.

- Tara Croft now has almost non-existent boobs.

- The Pandas in Bamboo Terrace now look nothing like Pandas and virtually all the Bamboo references have been either removed outright or toned down. Also, most of the characters and architecture now looks more Japanese than Chinese.

- The Twilight Harbor soldiers now shoot paint instead of bullets.

- Ripto's death has been changed so all you see is the Lava splash when he falls into the Lava pit and not the long shot where he burns alive.

- The Hula Girls show significantly less skin.

- Several jokes have been toned down to remove their more violent aspects.

- All the blood has been removed from the Gnorc Swords but the bloodied Bull horns have been restored.

Here are all the reasons why these games were butchered:

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 3

for those who played Spyro 3, I remember there was a parody of Lara Croft in the original ps1 game, as there was this female mouse called Tara.

is she still in the game or did they replace her? for my knowledge it's been said that Sony put that character in Spyro 3 due to Tomb Raider Last Revelation hit a milestone by selling really well on the ps1, so they put Tara the mouse wearing Lara Croft costume as a celebration and surprisingly you'll find her exploring Tombs in a desert level. 

32 minutes ago, yellowwindow7 said:

for those who played Spyro 3, I remember there was a parody of Lara Croft in the original ps1 game, as there was this female mouse called Tara.

is she still in the game or did they replace her? for my knowledge it's been said that Sony put that character in Spyro 3 due to Tomb Raider Last Revelation hit a milestone by selling really well on the ps1, so they put Tara the mouse wearing Lara Croft costume as a celebration and surprisingly you'll find her exploring Tombs in a desert level. 

Ah yes, I remember her.  I've not started Spyro 3 in general, so I can't say what has happened with her name either.

7 minutes ago, LunchCannon54 said:

Nah I checked and on PSN on my trophy list at least it has clearly been changed to Bob. Must have been a very late decision.

Yeah, after you said that, I checked and it's Bob on my list too, it's kinda strange that it's Bombo on the PSNProfiles list though...

Trophy list on PSN has definitely been updated since it was initially released - I’ve flagged it as an issue in the trophy list update forum.

We got the trophy list ages before the final release, maybe even before the game delay was announced, IIRC. I’m guessing that ‘Bob’ must have been one of the changes made during the delay period?

19 hours ago, NekoRave said:

Bob lmfao. 

Imagine playing Spyro remaster and seeing guns,shooting up a place, or seeing bombo and making bombs.

Christ I can't fathom the logic behind censorship of a old ps1 game.

Didn't crash bandicoot have a boss with a tommy gun?

Was that ever censored as well? If not it's just crazy as hell that they would with Spyro.

Nobody tell Sony we have Bomberman because it might be called Boberman with paint balls exploding.

Smfh. 

I haven't played the N.Sane Trilogy but i don't remember any news about Pinstripe being censored.

1 minute ago, starcrunch061 said:

Mario's lovable "Bob-omb" will now be "Bob-bob"...

...oh, wait. That's right. Nintendo is actually better about censorship than Sony these days.

I'm Native and this hurts...

Anyway i didn't even remember Bombo. I wouldn't make a fuss about it.

Edited by Lance_87
  • Like 1

I think the issue with Bombo was more about having a Middle Eastern character named Bombo who throws bombs could be seen as an offensive stereotype nowadays. Remember, Spyro 2 initially came out pre-9/11, so viewpoints on that kind of thing have definitely changed since then. I don't think the word "bomb" itself was the problem, as Bombo/Bob still uses the word, and it's used elsewhere in the game as well (ie. "I persuaded that fat bear Moneybags to sell me a few bombs").

It's funny, I remember when these remakes were announced, I was actually thinking "I wonder how people nowadays are going to react to the middle eastern bomb throwing guy in the second game". Not surprised that he's been "censored" in this way.

I do miss how people were generally more laid back in the 90s/early 2000s and didn't take fiction so seriously. The biggest controversy I can think of from back then was Jynx (Pokemon), then again I was just a kid anyway so didn't pay so much attention to these things.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

I mean maybe if he was named SUICIDE BOMBO sure, but it was just a generic name that was just funny.

LOL!

Well, I remembered this character, but as a kid I made no references to the middle east when playing this game. The guy was just a character throwing bombs trying to make Spyro's life hard

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yoosurnaym said:

I think the issue with Bombo was more about having a Middle Eastern character named Bombo who throws bombs could be seen as an offensive stereotype nowadays.

Did they do more than change his name, though? Because otherwise, he's still a Middle Eastern character that throws bombs.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

Nah ur just old :P

I mean, yeah I wish everything was totally intact from the old games and yeah, over the top political correctness is mildly annoying but in this case I can actually understand why they made the changes so I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it or deny myself the experience since otherwise Toys for Bob seems to have done an incredible job remaking these games. There's worse fuckery about them, such as Activision screwing up getting the whole trilogy onto one disk. 

And I'm 27, by the way, call me old again! ?

• Like 2

I've always been intrigued by the irony of people get offended by the thought of other people getting offended. Especially in cases, as in this thread, where no one actually got offended by the thing in question, and then everyone just kinda... imagines hypothetical people being offended, and then gets offended about it.

Wish the people who longed for the days of people being laid-back were, themselves, so laid back :P

(I tease, of course, but really, it's nowhere near the big deal it's being made out to be here; even calling it censorship feels dramatic, though I feel that word gets thrown around quite a bit these days, especially with games; developers are hardly allowed, of their own volition, to make any changes to their own games without it being called censorship, even though no one ever forces them (which by and by would be what actual censorship is; and, by and by, a change being suggested isn't censorship either, I mean like actually legally forced; but oh well))

• Like 2

Everyone saying this is political correctness, I'm not so sure. Including a homosexual relationship would be PC too, right? But they changed one of the men into a girl so idk. Maybe it was just a creative addition, a nod at them being Toys for Bob?

(Not that there should be such an outrage at being PC anyway but thats a different topic)

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Wait, what? Where's the homosexual content in Spyro? xD

Spoiler

The Romeo and  Juliet characters in the Zephyr world (Spyro 2), I think? I mean, I never interpreted Juliet as a man, but it kinda makes sense now. Either case, they've given her an unmistakeably female voice now

Edited by LepreCon1991

Oh, i didn't even remember that. It has a weird voice even with the Italian dubbing now that i'm seeing some PS1 gameplay videos. According to IMDb, most of the "additional voices" were done by male VAs. I think it was just something "for fun" like Brad Bird voicing Edna Mode in the Incredibles movies.

Also lol:

5 hours ago, JinjonatorX said:

I've always been intrigued by the irony of people get offended by the thought of other people getting offended. Especially in cases, as in this thread, where no one actually got offended by the thing in question, and then everyone just kinda... imagines hypothetical people being offended, and then gets offended about it.

Pretzel-y!