Game-Physics

Game-Physics' Dispute

25 posts in this topic

Game-Physics

Sly 2: Band of Thieves
Game disputed: Sly 2: Band of Thieves

Reason for flag: "(Order Earned) Upgrades are found in various episodes, obtained every upgrade within 8 seconds of each other before beating the first episode."

Dispute/reason it shouldn't be flagged:

I used in-game cheat codes to immediately reach the final episode, thus unlocking all of the upgrades at once (and allowing me to obtain them all at once). The cheat codes also decreased my time to platinum by allowing me to complete almost half of the game (skipping from episode to episode) before obtaining my first trophy.

In-game cheat codes are one of the things listed as not being flaggable here: https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/52663-what-constitutes-a-flag/. Furthermore, it should be noted that the cheat codes I used are not obscure or secret; they can be found with a quick web search (such as here: https://www.ign.com/wikis/the-sly-collection/PS3_Cheats). In other words, anyone can use them if they so desire. I did not hack or otherwise exploit the game using any external means. For these reasons, I ask that you please repeal my leaderboard ban.

Edited by Game-Physics
Fixing formatting

Wow, this has to he one of the best disputes I've ever seen. It's must be an early Christmas miracle! :lol:

If that's true (I know nothing about this game), it'll be lifted. Just gotta wait it out for a member of the flag team to see the dispute.

However, if it's not true, you'd better hide anything on your profile that's questionable because people are about to go through it with a fine tooth comb

6 hours ago, Game-Physics said:

In-game cheat codes are one of the things listed as not being flaggable here: https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/52663-what-constitutes-a-flag/. Furthermore, it should be noted that the cheat codes I used are not obscure or secret; they can be found with a quick web search (such as here: https://www.ign.com/wikis/the-sly-collection/PS3_Cheats). In other words, anyone can use them if they so desire. I did not hack or otherwise exploit the game using any external means. For these reasons, I ask that you please repeal my leaderboard ban.

Is there a money cheat? your coin trophies popped 8 seconds apart as well. At a guess I would say a mass loot dump? stayed under 100 coins but managed to have enough loot to get beyond 1,500 instantly when you sold? Is that a close guess? Also did you by chance use batches of your own saves to load into different sections of the game that you had partially completed using the level select cheats? Just wondering

Edited by Asmund89

I guess I'm the only one to click the IGN link...there are NO cheats listed at all...so tell us what in-game cheat code you used...

2 minutes ago, PSXtreme_ said:

I guess I'm the only one to click the IGN link...there are NO cheats listed at all...so tell us what in-game cheat code you used...

They are there but you have to click the PS3  cheats link to the left. It didn't transfer correctly when he linked it.

These guides say that cheats effect trophies though so I don't know what to believe really:

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/the-sly-collection-sly-2/guide/

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/sly-2-band-of-thieves/80032-sly-collection-sly-2-band-thieves-trophy-guide-road-map.html

Says it effects story related trophies but it doesn't really say how.

Well, I have to head off to work right now, but upon my return, I'll investigate this to see if the trophies do pop (i'm sure someone else will have done it by then but I'm still curious as most games disable trophies once you start inputting cheat codes) and report back before going to bed.

1 hour ago, PSXtreme_ said:

There are? (link is messed up a bit due to ".)" )

https://www.ign.com/wikis/the-sly-collection/PS3_Cheats

But I found the whole thing also a bit... Strange...
There is one subject here:
https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/sly-2-band-of-thieves/77941-cheats-disable-trophies.html

But not any single solid statement...

Edited by Smashero

There's no cheat that allows you to instantly gain from 0 to 1500+ coins...

6 hours ago, Asmund89 said:

Is there a money cheat? your coin trophies popped 8 seconds apart as well. At a guess I would say a mass loot dump? stayed under 100 coins but managed to have enough loot to get beyond 1,500 instantly when you sold? Is that a close guess? Also did you by chance use batches of your own saves to load into different sections of the game that you had partially completed using the level select cheats? Just wondering

Yes, that's basically it. Coin count was my main concern in this run, as it is hard to avoid collecting them sometimes. I stayed under 100 coins as long as I could; when I was close to 100, I decided to begin obtaining the trophies, starting with buying the upgrades. As you mentioned, I did so by selling a lot of loot items that I had collected beforehand, which got me from >100 to around 5000 coins in seconds.

As for the second part of your post: I did not need to use multiple save files, as completion progress is saved even if you jump from episode to episode. For example, if I completed half of episode 1, skipped to episode 2, and then came back to episode 1, my progress in episode 1 would still exist.

3 hours ago, shary96 said:

There's no cheat that allows you to instantly gain from 0 to 1500+ coins...

See above.

4 hours ago, Smashero said:

There are? (link is messed up a bit due to ".)" )

https://www.ign.com/wikis/the-sly-collection/PS3_Cheats

But I found the whole thing also a bit... Strange...
There is one subject here:
https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/sly-2-band-of-thieves/77941-cheats-disable-trophies.html

But not any single solid statement...

This is the first time I've heard of the cheats disabling any of the trophies. That certainly was not the case for me; hopefully, PSxtreme_ or someone else here can confirm that they don't disable. But like you said, there's no solid statement in that forum thread. Anyway, it doesn't make much sense to me that the cheats would disable the trophies; they do not make it any easier to get the trophies, as I still had to play through the entire game. The cheats only allowed me to skip to different parts of the game, completing as much as I could without triggering any trophies.

Edited by Game-Physics
Fixed typo

Definitely clears up a lot of questions I had, now just need someone to test if the cheats disabled the story trophies for them, lot's of posts claiming it does but then I see other posts saying they used the cheats and it didn't disable. I no longer have this game or I would test myself. But, yah that seems to be the only remaining question, you've explained yourself rather well.

I'm going back now to try it....will report back before I go to bed...

Just went and can confirm that the codes to open the levels DO work...opened up all the episodes  with the code provided on IGN to warp to episode 8. However, NO TROPHIES popped upon opening that episode. Also there are NO codes that I see that open up any of the trophies for specific gadgets or coins...I'd suggest that OP provide the codes he used and the steps he took to pop those trophies and I'll recreate his instructions to see what happens with my profile. Otherwise, I call BS...  My Sly 2 trophy list

Edited by PSXtreme_

2 hours ago, PSXtreme_ said:

Just went and can confirm that the codes to open the levels DO work...opened up all the episodes  with the code provided on IGN to warp to episode 8. However, NO TROPHIES popped upon opening that episode. Also there are NO codes that I see that open up any of the trophies for specific gadgets or coins...I'd suggest that OP provide the codes he used and the steps he took to pop those trophies and I'll recreate his instructions to see what happens with my profile. Otherwise, I call BS...  My Sly 2 trophy list

None of the cheat codes auto-unlock any of the trophies, meaning that warping to episode 8 does not give you any preceding story-related trophies. My steps for obtaining the coin-related and gadget-related trophies are below.

The first step is loading episode 8 via the code. Since you have already done so, go into "ThiefNet" where you buy the gadgets (upgrades). You will see that, due to loading up episode 8, all of them are now available for purchase. So if you have enough coins, you can buy any of the gadgets you need for the trophies. How do you obtain enough coins for these purchases? By collecting loot items from various episodes and then selling them all at once. Doing so will also place you beyond the 1500 requirement for the highest coin-related trophy. Then, use those coins to buy every required gadget at once. This was my method for obtaining both the coin-related and gadget-related trophies in quick succession.

5 hours ago, PSXtreme_ said:

He never stated anything auto popped. He said he used the cheat codes to bounce from level to level and gather loot.

Apparently, the game saves your progress in each level, so you can get to the point just before a story trophy pops, and then change levels.  Basically he said do x% of each level, gather up as much vendor loot to sell as possible, mass sell it, buy all your gadgets at once, then resume each episode where you left off to pop the story trophies. (I'm making an assumption on that last part)

36 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

He never stated anything auto popped. He said he used the cheat codes to bounce from level to level and gather loot.

Apparently, the game saves your progress in each level, so you can get to the point just before a story trophy pops, and then change levels.  Basically he said do x% of each level, gather up as much vendor loot to sell as possible, mass sell it, buy all your gadgets at once, then resume each episode where you left off to pop the story trophies. (I'm making an assumption on that last part)

Your assumption is correct. This is an accurate summary of what I did.

Edited by Game-Physics

Then this will have to wait until my day off on Monday when I can dedicate some actually time to it. I have to find out where all the relics are, and get enough to pop multiple coin trophies along with get enough gear/moves to see if I can simulate the times the trophies popped.

Man - I'm waiting with bated breath for the outcome! Give me closure on this anecdote!

Take a deep breath and wait until monday...working 11 hour days with 2 hours driving to and from work doesn't leave much in the tank for a 50 year old gamer...I'll have my answer posted by this time on monday...

I'm way busy these days. Moving + new job.

This is on my lists of things to do rtomorrow b4 I start drinking...I'll have an answer to the possibility within 24 hrs.

4 hours ago, PSXtreme_ said:

After spending some time with the game, it would be possible to do it as OP describes, but much more difficult than it would be worth doing the normal way, but that isn't the item up for debate. Trophies do pop after you input the codes and you can rack up the coins getting the relics/loot items and then selling them on the "Net" then buy the skills en masse with about a 8-9 second break between trophy pops as his profile demonstrates.

May be more difficult than the regular way, but it earned him the fastest time.

Thanks for testing this, since it’s usually always me.

On 11/19/2018 at 6:59 PM, PSXtreme_ said:

After spending some time with the game, it would be possible to do it as OP describes, but much more difficult than it would be worth doing the normal way, but that isn't the item up for debate. Trophies do pop after you input the codes and you can rack up the coins getting the relics/loot items and then selling them on the "Net" then buy the skills en masse with about a 8-9 second break between trophy pops as his profile demonstrates.

Awesome work mate, enjoy that drink and some well deserved rest, your commute and work day sounds like a nightmare rolled into one so big props for doing this on top. Cheers :)

Game-Physics is now unflagged, thanks for taking all the time to verify this @PSXtreme_ :) 

Edited by BlindMango