New to fighting games

Veris-Luna

5 minutes ago, Veris-Luna said:

So I got this coming to me from gamefly, never playing a fighting game in my life.  I love dragonball z.  I was reading that you have to really have a joystick to get good.  Is that tru?  Also how is the community of this game to help new fighters and such?

You can get just as good with a fighting pad. Don´t have to be a stick, its just many prefer it that way. 

• Like 2

the game is quite simple, it is within everyone's reach, it takes only a little time, 4 weeks at least, to get all the game items. there is nothing to worry about

sorry I messed up with battle of Z, however there is nothing difficult, it's all very simplified, the platinum trophy requires a lot of patience to get 20 million zeni, it took me 90 hours of grind to get only that trophy

Edited by AttilioPazzo-
  • Like 1

Having a good stick is not mandatory. It varies from person to person. I personally find myself much more comfortable using a stick but that doesn't necessarily raise my level of play (I'm pretty sucky for the most part >.<). You can be just as good if not better with a fight pad or just a regular pad.

Now, I don't know about Dragon Ball FigtherZ but most fighters out there do demand a certain level of skill and patience. For example, trophies for pulling out long-strings of complex moves may be easier for players with a high skill level while for others with a low skill level, not so much. With that in mind, getting the achievements could be an excruciatingly painful time or a walk in the park depending on how good you are in the genre.

All in all, fighting games are a cool genre. One of my favorites even if I'm not technically good. Hope you have a great time with the game. This one was developed by Arc System Works so I'm sure you are in for a treat ;)

I'm terrible in fighting games except for Smash Bros. Mostly because I've been playing it my whole life. From what I've seen of competitions in fighting games like Street Fighter 5, I see people use these joystick dualshocks to play against each other. I don't think you NEED a joystick dualshock to be good at fighting games but it would probably help out more. Sort of like getting a Steering wheel in Gran Turismio makes the game easier to play.

I can safely say as a person who had zero experience with fighting games to getting the Plat in Dragon Ball FighterZ it is very doable with a DS4 since that's all I used. Although I am considering getting a stick since I plan on getting myself some other fighters (Looks at Persona 4 Arena) you'll be fine In FighterZ. ^_^ 

• Like 2

No, you can become a solid player with a controller. You'll just need to practice and develop muscle memory as well as understanding of certain concepts like blockstrings. SonicFox, who is currently the top Fighterz player, plays with a controller. The controls are also designed in a way that makes it a lot easier to get into the game however, the game can become very complex with assists and certain loops. In my opinion, I feel like stick is more suitable for games like Tekken or Street Fighter. 

In terms of the community, there's a lot of tutorials and guides available to help you understand the game's mechanics as well as the mechanics of fighting games in general. There are also plenty of videos available that offer in depth looks into characters as well as combos. As someone new to fighting games, you should focus more on developing fundamentals rather than complex combos because it will serve you a lot more in the long run.

• Like 1

On 15/11/2018 at 2:09 AM, Veris-Luna said:

not sure whats going with one of these trophies though, think it could be bugged.  tried to watch the arena match and it just says  Im observing it but nothing happens.  Not sure what exactly its asking me to do with that.

I myself found it more difficult to get this trophy than anticipated. I think it's similar to other fighting games whereby if you start viewing a battle that is mid match, you wouldnt be able to see it. It seems just a case of waiting until a fight restarts and you should get to watch the fight and pop the trophy no problem! Just keep trying. On the topic of controller used, I used the Dual Shock 4. I use this for all fighting games I have played. It is purely my own preference. I have used arcade sticks in the past whilst I was on Xbox, but I genuinely find the PlayStation's Dpad far better to use so I stuck with the pad option when I moved to the PlayStation brand.

• Like 1

Anime fighters are not even meant for fighting sticks. If you were experienced just as much in both I would still recommend the normal controller. You get several shortcuts for combined buttons thanks to the Ls and Rs, and with only 4 attack buttons everything is right there on the face buttons.

I consider the combos in this game more akin to a rhythm game than a fighting game (I have experience in this and the KoF series). Except for the very advanced combos, which aren't needed at all for the level of play for the trophies, you follow a consistent rhythm per hit. One day, to try my theory, I did one of the extended combos with Cell while not looking at the screen and I pulled it off first try, lol.

If you want to get into the technical stuff, there are turorials from people like rooflemonger, TGNanime, Behrudy, Dotodoya. If not, you can get through by just learning the bases of defense and the basic combo extension with the regular aerial Down + Heavy style characters (characters that hit up during an aerial Down + H, which is the case for most, especially Saiyans).

Farming the Zeni took me about 55 hours. It was the worst grind of my life. I did it in the span of like 2 months while listening to weekly podcasts.

If you have any specific questions later, PM me and I will help you out.

Edited by AndresLionheart
  • Like 2