5th Annual League of Trophy Hunters Holiday Special

Welcome to the Fifth Annual League of Trophy Hunters Holiday Special! For those of you who are relatively new to the forums, every year, on my birthday, I create a Holiday Special event, each one more extravagant than the last! The event is always right after Christmas, giving admins of the Trophy Hunters League a break during the holidays. Though the Trophy Hunters League is over, so what am I doing here?

To be honest, I wasn't planning on bringing this back this year. Last year's holiday special didn't go over so hot, and interest in competitive events in general has been dying out. I myself am pretty much retired besides one friendly competition. Though just as I thought no one cared about this event anymore, one lone soul (who I will not name) liked the opening post of a previous Holiday Special last night. As much as everyone thinks that competitive trophy hunting is dead, if there are still people here who are looking forward to this event, then it would be unjust for me not to at least give it a try.

Here's what we're going to do. If we don't reach double-digit signups by the end of this month, I'll cancel this event. No more holiday specials. That being said, it's about time we go back to our roots. I did plan a war-theme event very early this year with tanks, snipers, and assassins, but for the sake of simplicity, let's do a standard tournament instead. Here are the rules!

Rules:

Spoiler
  1. Round One will start at midnight GMT on December 27th and will last 24 hours.
  2. Each round after Round One will start immediately after the previous round until a winner is chosen.
  3. The tournament bracket will be randomized immediately before the first round starts. Once the bracket is made, sign ups will be closed.
  4. If the brackets are uneven, everyone but the last few people will get a first-round bye. For example, if there are 18 people, the last four people who signed up will be the only ones who need to compete Round One.
  5. Points will be totaled based on the Trophy Hunters League rules (bronze are 1 point, silver are 2, gold 6, and platinum 12).
  6. As per the Trophy Hunters League, no repeat games (different system or region) are allowed, and games with a 50th completion time less than 6 hours won't count.
  7. Scores will be counted within an hour after each round, so be prepared to sync.
  8. In the event of a tie, the winner will be chosen by platinum count, followed by last trophy earned.
  9. Brackets are single-elimination.
  10. Everyone is welcome!

That's about it. If we get a large enough crowd, I'll throw in a prize. We'll see. If this event happens to be a hit, we can get a bit crazier next year. If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Participants:

Spoiler
  1. The Perilous Pair
    1. jemmie
    2. kingofbattle8174
  2. Overwatch hype exists because of Activision/blizzard money mk.II
    1. Walt the Dog
    2. Soultaker655
  3. Fear and Ignorance
    1. hibpshman
    2. SkyRxy22
  4. The Novelty Gentlemen
    1. shadowhood1111
    2. willythom88
  5. Captain Unknown and CJ the Sausage Dog
    1. MrUnknown625
    2. cjshaitan
  6. Excelsior
    1. Deadpool--Rik
    2. ShogunCroCop
  7. Phat Karma
    1. VASORAT13
    2. MiseryMystery
  8. ???
    1. midgetstrawdog

Past Holiday Specials:

Countdown

Edited by jemmie
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, hibpshman said:

Please sign me up. 

Any chance this will be a 2-man team tournament?   @SxyRxy22 and I want to avenge our defeat in the 3rd annual holiday special.  This year  @Wdog-999 and @MrUnknown625 won't be able to hide behind their boosts to beat us.

A revenge match would be fun, but right now, I'm worried that we won't get enough people for a stable bracket. If enough people request teams, I'll switch the format.

I'll join!

I do love me some could old fashioned trophy hunting competition but.....everything in moderation I guess.

I do like the trophy competitions but I feel as if life just kinda takes over among other things. I used to be in the Trophy Hunting league and the Team Trophy Hunting league but my job kinda took a hold of things moving up the corporate ladder and then I started hanging out with friends who I cared about. I remember actively earning trophies for about 4 seasons and even earning the most in a fixture and then I just lost interest for one reason or another and continued to be on the fixture list for several more seasons until a purge took place. I came back here and there but that was probably every 2-3 seasons.

I've seen these trophy hunter tournaments and I'd like to help you get this off the ground, but I am wary about how to go about it if I join. I am not very good at stressful two months of earning platinums every day because while I do want to platinum a ton of games, they will take me forever to platinum because most of them are grindy RPGs.

10 hours ago, DragonQuest238 said:

I've seen these trophy hunter tournaments and I'd like to help you get this off the ground, but I am wary about how to go about it if I join. I am not very good at stressful two months of earning platinums every day because while I do want to platinum a ton of games, they will take me forever to platinum because most of them are grindy RPGs.

There's still time to think about it. Don't force yourself to sign up. Take your time in deciding. B)

Spoiler

Image result for shugo chara lulu gif

22 hours ago, jemmie said:

There's still time to think about it. Don't force yourself to sign up. Take your time in deciding. B)

Okay, but I am still a bit confused by how this works. I've read some of the tournament threads but haven't grasped the concept. So basically, every platinum you earn gives points towards your score(based on rarity I guess) and the highest score after the end wins?

7 minutes ago, DragonQuest238 said:

Okay, but I am still a bit confused by how this works. I've read some of the tournament threads but haven't grasped the concept. So basically, every platinum you earn gives points towards your score(based on rarity I guess) and the highest score after the end wins?

Every Holiday Special is different. Only Season 3 was an actual tournament. Look in the spoiler tab labeled "Rules" for a full description of, well, the rules. They're not that complicated this time around. Think Trophy Hunters League, but a tournament.

Well, the poll had an overwhelming majority for teams, so the tournament will now be in pairs. Once you've found a teammate, plop down their name and your team name here. Anyone without a teammate by the start of the event will be randomly assigned one (with a random team name too).

On 11/16/2018 at 10:25 AM, willythom88 said:

This sounds neat, count me in!  Just to be certain, can we use games that we have already started?  I assume the trophies before the event wouldn't count, but can we use those titles anyways?

Yes, started games do count.

I would like to snatch @MrUnknown625  as a partner for this event. I hear he is pretty good with trophies, we shall see. 

I would propose the name " Spam Hunters " obviously but he is a bit more classy than me so I will accept whatever he likes. 

Edit : This event could see you with a new avatar Sir :)

Edited by Cjshai
  • Like 1