RNG Games

Lefalaja

RNG (random number generator) Games (any console with trophies) 

We should keep track of all RNG games out there. Why? Cos i hate them (or cos you like them!).

Game: Alienation

Trophy: By the Power of Weird Alien Artifacts, I Have the Power! (Insert 12 maximum level cores into a legendary quality weapon)

Game: Devious Dungeon

Game: Crypt Of The Necrodancer

Trophy: Bat Trick Trophy - Green Bats have a 1/400 chance of spawning. Although the entire game is RNG.

Game: Destiny 1/2 - This series is heavily reliant on RNG with the loot.

Game: Monster Hunter World - Mini/Large crowns are very RNG dependant.

Game: Super Meat Boy - The patterns that Oobs move in on Rapture/Cotton alley are RNG.

Game: The Binding Of Isaac - The entire game is RNG.

Game: The Swords Of Ditto - Finding every toy is RNG. The game itself is randomly generated.

Game: Oh...Sir! The Insult Simulator

Game: Downwell - level layout is different on each run. Also there is RNG in determining just what upgrades you will get.

Game: Rogue Legacy - Castle layout and the rooms you get are different for each run.

Game: Sound Shapes - Death Mode has levels that have collectibles that are completely random. You can succeed or fail entirely on RNG.

Game: Uncharted: Fight for Fortune - My current nemesis. Not a hard game, but very RNG with the cards you get and how your computer opponent plays.

Game: Shadow Warrior 2 - Procedurally generated levels. Collectibles are not always at the same place.

Game: Injustice 2

Trophy: Cat Call trophy.

Game: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan - Most of the missions inside the levels are RNG based especially the ATM missions.

Game: Dying Light

Trophy: The trophy to save 15 survivors from Rais' men is RNG.

Game: Dishonored - Dunwell City Trials DLC.

Trophy: Daredevil and By My Hand Alone. The two worst RNG trophies I’ve done.

Game: Spelunky: All levels are randomly generated

Game: Dont Starve: The entire game is RNG

Game: Borderlands games are tied with RNG fir weapon drops

Game: Jotun. By far the worst I've ever seen it's really a mix of skill and luck. 

Game: Stardew Valley 

Trophy: Fector’s Challenge, a nightmare of a RNG trophy.

Game: Payday 2: There's not a single mission without heavy RNG impact

Game: Dragonball (F’ing) Xenoverse. Farming the same mission for hours only to NOT get what you’re looking for. 

Game: 36 Fragments of Midnight is randomly generating levels so getting  The Fastest One is luck dependend

Trophy: The Fastest One

Game: Grand Kingdom. Getting all skills can take upto 100 hours depending on luck based crap rng. 

Game: Flame over. Can be very difficult due to rng of the power ups and level layouts that change every time.

Game: Yakuza 0 Cat fight Mini game in Yakuza 0 is the worst! It is pure pure luck no skill involved and you have to win 10 cat fight tournaments to get the trophy Cat Scratch Fever, I am trying to get this trophy and I have already broken a controller from raging, screw this mini game and trophy.

Trophy: Cat Scratch Fever

Game: Blood Bowl 2 and Mordheim: City of the Damned require a dice roll before each action to determine the success of the action.

Game: XCOM A good deal of the strategies for these games consists in upping the odds however you can to cope with virtual dice rolls that could ruin everything on a RNG "whim".

Game: Wizard of Legend

Game: 20XX

Game: Conga Master 

Trophy: Real Conga Party! - Unlock all characters

Let me know of other games so i can keep this list up to date :)

Edited by Lefalaja
  • Like 1

I'll list a few i've done in the past:

Crypt Of The Necrodancer (PS4)

Bat Trick Trophy - Green Bats have a 1/400 chance of spawning. Although the entire game is RNG.

Destiny 1/2 - This series is heavily reliant on RNG with the loot.

Monster Hunter World - Mini/Large crowns are very RNG dependant.

Rogue Legacy - Dungeons are randomly generated.

Super Meat Boy - The patterns that Oobs move in on Rapture/Cotton alley are RNG.

The Binding Of Isaac - The entire game is RNG.

The Swords Of Ditto - Finding every toy is RNG. The game itself is randomly generated.

• Like 3

Downwell - level layout is different on each run. Also there is RNG in determining just what upgrades you will get.

Rogue Legacy - Castle layout and the rooms you get are different for each run.

Sound Shapes - Death Mode has levels that have collectibles that are completely random. You can succeed or fail entirely on RNG.

Uncharted: Fight for Fortune - My current nemesis. Not a hard game, but very RNG with the cards you get and how your computer opponent plays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kapitein said:

You got there before me, nudge nudge!

Shadow Warrior 2 - Procedurally generated levels. Collectibles are not always at the same place.

Injustice 2 - Cat Call trophy.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan - Most of the missions inside the levels are RNG based especially the ATM missions.

Dying Light - The trophy to save 15 survivors from Rais' men is RNG.

Edited by Banana_Sausage47
  • Like 2

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan (PS3 and PS4)

The missions are randomly generated, so it may take you a while to get certain trophies. Some are worse than others. The lowest one is the ATM missions, so Virtuous Vigilante will probably be one of the last ones you get before the plat.

• Like 1

Don't know if this will count but the Cat fight Mini game in Yakuza 0 is the worst! It is pure pure luck no skill involved and you have to win 10 cat fight tournaments to get the trophy Cat Scratch Fever, I am trying to get this trophy and I have already broken a controller from raging, screw this mini game and trophy.

• Like 1

Just now, Cerulean3 said:

Don't know if this will count but the Cat fight Mini game in Yakuza 0 is the worst! It is pure pure luck no skill involved and you have to win 10 cat fight tournaments to get the trophy Cat Scratch Fever, I am trying to get this trophy and I have already broken a controller from raging, screw this mini game and trophy.

Rock, paper, scissors is not a game of skill.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Rock, paper, scissors is not a game of skill.

Yeah your right but the game basically knows what your gonna pick and always win or if you and the opponent picked the same for example rock and rock  you have to mash the X button to cheer on the girl you bet on but half the time it doesn't even work and your opponent does damage to you. That and some of the girls have a special ability that allowed them to do a comeback you could have completely dominated a opponent in one round they go down and that ability could trigger and if that happens there is no way of stopping it, bam you lose back to the betting bored. 

• Like 1

I think Blood Bowl 2 and the XCOM series [haven't played The Bureau, though] should qualify.

A good deal of the strategies for these games consists in upping the odds however you can to cope with virtual dice rolls that could ruin everything on a RNG "whim".

[edit: Ninja'd by @craigm1987 for BB2 :)]

Edited by KennethMcCormick
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

The devs of Oh... Sir - The Insult Simulator made a sequel called Oh... Sir! The Hollywood Roast. While it's not as RNG-heavy as the first game, getting 15 golden parrots with 6 characters is still luck based because you can't control which phrase parts you get and thus might not be able to build a phrase that does a lot of damage.

In Sundered, the levels are procedurally generated every time you die.

Last but not least: Speed Brawl. While most trophies in this game depend on skill, the trophy "Dutiful Xenologist" depends a lot on RNG. For this trophy, you have to unlock all item entries among other things. The problem is that the items you get are completely randomized and there's little you can do to influence which items you'll get. Even if you finish a race with a gold trophy, you might only get low-tier items. You can even get two identical items that you already have. However, now that you can get platinum trophies in all races, unlocking all items might be a bit easier.