Sony PlayStation won't be at E3 2019

Valyrious

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/11/theres_wild_speculation_sony_may_skip_e3_2019

All speculation at this point but very interesting if true. We might remember that Sony skipped out on PSX 2018. If true, my best guess is they are going to change PSX to be a summer event and host their own in lieu of E3 from now on. 

Other unlikely options are Sony is going to announce PS5 soon and want to focus on a new even just for that, or they are hurting financially and looking into cutting back. (highly unlikely). 

What do you all think?

Just now, aZombieDictator said:

As long as Devolver Digital is around at E3 it's all good. Just hopefully there will be a decent amount of Playstation announcements through out the year.

A lot of people were expecting Sony to announce the Playstation 5 next year. Not necessarily at E3... but if we look at years past, they announced the PS4 in an event in February and showed it off for the first time at E3.

Losing on that kind of huge exposure right before a new generation cycle is a bit strange to me.

It's confirmed now: https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/11/14/sony-interactive-entertainment-is-not-attending-e3-in-2019

Sony's statement:

“As the industry evolves, Sony Interactive Entertainment continues to look for inventive opportunities to engage the community," the company told Game Informer in a statement. "PlayStation fans mean the world to us and we always want to innovate, think differently and experiment with new ways to delight gamers. As a result, we have decided not to participate in E3 in 2019. We are exploring new and familiar ways to engage our community in 2019 and can’t wait to share our plans with you.” 

@Valyrious Can you update the title to Confirmed?

Edited by Afro_Gear
  • Like 4

Nintendo is killing it with their fast, frequent Nintendo Directs. 

If PlayStation takes that idea and makes it their own, they won't need major conferences or Playstation Experience to announce new titles or hardware.

Here's hoping that they become more social now. It just kinda sucks because E3, for better or worse, was a yearly tradition that I always looked forward to.

Let's be honest, they pretty much skipped E3 2018 anyway.  There was way more effort that went into creating set pieces for trailers than actually went into presenting anything.

Felt the time watching their presentation this past year could have been better served watching trailers at my convenience on YouTube. Waste of time.

Edited by Kevvik

no Sony at e3 would be good perhaps. they could do a year end game awards or mini event and announce release dates/windows for Doom, Tsushima, Nioh2, Last of Us 2. and call it a wrap on ps4.

release ps5 at the ass end of 2020 and release Cyberpunk as a ps4 game & ps5 launch title and Death Stranding. 

effectively ending ps4 life cycle.

plus gives people the idea ps5 is coming so if you guys need to save your money to afford it lol, you have time to do so.

ps5 is day 1 for me. if Nintendo has another switch model I'll also day 1 that. 

After a solid performance at E3 2015 and E3 2016, is it really all that bad that Sony won't appear?

I think we already know the upcoming exclusives. There's at least four upcoming PS4 exclusives but I guess that isn't enough.

With Sony leading this console generation by a longshot, I wouldn't mind other companies to try to gain a foothold for next year's presentations. That is still a long ways off.

They bailed on PSX 2018 due to lack of new stuff to show, right?  With all of their biggest upcoming exclusives (Day's Gone, The Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding) already having gotten numerous announcements and presentations at the last few E3's... the lack of new stuff may be the cause yet again.

I don't see that as necessarily being a bad thing.  I'm sure Sony can find ways to market and publicize without E3.  And if somehow all four of those games launch in 2019, that's another HUGE year for Sony and a great way to cap off the PS4's twilight years as Sony prepares for the PS5 announcement... at E3 2020 or otherwise.

EDIT: Though admittedly, I did love watching E3 the last few years.  It'll be less exciting in 2019 without Sony... but considering I own all of the consoles at this point, there's plenty of gaming goodness still for me to feast on.  Enough to get me to tune in at least, probably.

Edited by Dreakon13