First Final Fantasy

jjmello23

It's a terrible one to start, first of all it's the second on a trilogy and would make no sense story wise, second it's also one of the weakest main entries on the series.
Anything between IV and X, as well as XII are good entry points, personally I've started with VII and to this day it's still my favorite game ever, and since then I've played every single one (other then XI and XIV because I don't do MMO) and enjoyed them all, some more then others...

• Like 2

I would play Final Fantasy X first then ignore X-2 as it doesn't do much justice for X.

You will slightly be lost by playing 13-2 without 13 but I feel as 13 isn't very good so you should skip it just look up a summary of the story.

I though 13-2 was a damn fine upgrade from 13. 13-2 wasn't my favorite but I enjoyed it. My favorite is FF7 but that may be too old for many's taste

Edited by shadowhood1111

25 minutes ago, jjmello23 said:

Would any of you Final Fantasy vets say this is an okay game to start playing as a first timer? I see it is on sale in NA and thought about grabbing it

This would be one of the worst choices to start your FF career, in fact I dare say it might even end you right at the door. It's not a particularly good game by itself to begin with, but when compared side by side to other FF entries it comes out looking like a coat hanger abortion in a third world country on Christmas Eve.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jjmello23 said:

I don't really care about story just is the gameplay good enough to not turn a newbie away from the series lol

I'm afraid that you should look into another series then, gameplay is not exactly the main point of a JRPG IMO, story is, you'de be better off with a AJRPG like Kingdom Hearts instead. Although there's FF XV for that as well so... For the ones before XV you're basically selecting commands from a menu, not something that thrilling from a gameplay perspective, it's more about the story and characters IMO.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Asmund89 said:

it comes out looking like a coat hanger abortion in a third world country on Christmas Eve.

Wow, that got dark quick.

Honestly, I think it depends on the person. If you are looking for more of an open world game, then FFXII is perfect. If you are looking for a good turn-based combat, I think FFX is a great start. If you are looking for something in between, I'd say IX, but VII is fine if you don't mind the polygon graphics (personally, I love them, but no one seems to agree with me). All of this is IMO.

As for Final Fantasy XIII-2 I don't think it's a good idea to start with this one. Why? These games are very story-heavy and hopping into the middle of the series is not a great idea. Out of the entire series, this isn't their best work, but this game is by no means a "bad game." I enjoyed it quite a bit actually, but not as much as FFXIII-3.

1 minute ago, jjmello23 said:

I don't really care about story just is the gameplay good enough to not turn a newbie away from the series lol

Honestly I hated the combat system in XIII.  It really made advancing the story a chore.  I also struggled to get through VII.  Most people loved the hell out of it, but I enjoyed Crisis Core so much more.

No, X-2 isn't really a game that I would find myself recommending to anyone who isn't an enormous fan of FFX's characters. If you want to start with a historically great Final Fantasy then I would recommend IV, VI or VII depending on which world interests you most. FFVI has arguably the best villian in the entire series. If you want to start with a more modern Final Fantasy then I would absolutely recommend FFX remastered. As much of a soft side as i have for XIII, I think that X represents the typical gameplay and story of a Final Fantasy game much better. I'll be curious to know which one you pick!

I see you commented that you do not care about story, so I think that it is worth mentioning that the majority of these games are very heavy on narratives. If you are just looking to get into JRPGs for the gameplay, there are much better examples than modern Final Fantasy titles. If you have any questions, feel free to message me! I'm a big fan and know a lot about the series.

edit: Thought op was asking about X-2 whoops!

Edited by mattveego

I feel like I'm the only person who adores FFX-2. Granted X is my favorite all-time and holds a very special place in my heart, but there's something infectious about X-2's dress sphere system (in a good way). 

I say start with one of the originals to get your feet wet. X would be the most forgiving with a wonderful story, but you can't go wrong with one of the classics from the SNES or PS One eras. 

1 hour ago, jjmello23 said:

Would any of you Final Fantasy vets say this is an okay game to start playing as a first timer? I see it is on sale in NA and thought about grabbing it

Main Final Fantasy titles have Roman numerals in the title. Any Final Fantasy title with a dashed Arabic numeral, or any title that has a Roman numeral after a colon are direct sequels to a main title. Final Fantasy XI and XIV are MMORPGs like World of Warcraft, whereas the rest are single-player RPGs.

-Therefore, Final Fantasy I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XII, XIII, and XV are the main games, and XI and XIV are the MMORPGs.

-Games like Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy X-2, Final Fantasy XIII-2, and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII are direct sequels to VII, X, and XIII respectively

Main titles are independent games each with their own unique story set in unique universes that have little to with each other, connected only by certain themes and conventions. This makes picking any main title at random easy to do since there's no overarching story to be concerned about. Each title has their own unique take on how to do "Final Fantasy", and any statements on which are "better" and which are "worse" can be and often are different between people, being entirely subjective. Pick one that interests you and if it's version of "Final Fantasy" doesn't work for you, then there's 14 others to choose from.

On the other hand, direct sequels as outlined above are dependent on the main title they sequel to. You'll need to play the main title to get a full appreciation for what's going on in the sequel. Therefore, in answer to the exact letter of your question, no, Final Fantasy XIII-2 would be a terrible idea to play as your first Final Fantasy game. If you were interested in that particular part of the whole series, I'd strongly suggest playing Final Fantasy XIII first, then moving on to Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII if you wanted to complete the trilogy.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, damon8r351 said:

Main Final Fantasy titles have Roman numerals in the title. Any Final Fantasy title with a dashed Arabic numeral, or any title that has a Roman numeral after a colon are direct sequels to a main title. Final Fantasy XI and XIV are MMORPGs like World of Warcraft, whereas the rest are single-player RPGs.

-Therefore, Final Fantasy I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XII, XIII, and XV are the main games, and XI and XIV are the MMORPGs.

-Games like Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy X-2, Final Fantasy XIII-2, and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII are direct sequels to VII, X, and XIII respectively

Main titles are independent games each with their own unique story set in unique universes that have little to with each other, connected only by certain themes and conventions. This makes picking any main title at random easy to do since there's no overarching story to be concerned about. Each title has their own unique take on how to do "Final Fantasy", and any statements on which are "better" and which are "worse" can be and often are different between people, being entirely subjective. Pick one that interests you and if it's version of "Final Fantasy" doesn't work for you, then there's 14 others to choose from.

On the other hand, direct sequels as outlined above are dependent on the main title they sequel to. You'll need to play the main title to get a full appreciation for what's going on in the sequel. Therefore, in answer to the exact letter of your question, no, Final Fantasy XIII-2 would be a terrible idea to play as your first Final Fantasy game. If you were interested in that particular part of the whole series, I'd strongly suggest playing Final Fantasy XIII first, then moving on to Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII if you wanted to complete the trilogy.

There's also FFIV the after years which is a direct sequel without any dash in the title