Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist Platinum is UNOBTAINABLE

Just now, ThePhatMatt said:

God damn it, just started this last month and didn't get the weekly challenge done.

It is strange that they did not warn. Chopped off and all. Usually they write about such things in advance. And so it turns out Ubi do not care about the players. Just to stamp their assassins.

1 minute ago, U4oloG said:

It is strange that they did not warn. Chopped off and all. Usually they write about such things in advance. And so it turns out Ubi do not care about the players. Just to stamp their assassins.

Not really. The daily and weekly challenges are just a feature of the online mode. They'd only have to announce the whole shutdown of the multiplayer server, which hasn't happened. It's slightly annoying for trophy hunters that like to complete their games, but 99,5% of the players couldn't really care about this in the slightest :P.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Potent_Delusions said:

October 13th, which is over 1 month ago. 

Oh I read it wrong then. Well, Ubi is good at announcing closures. See https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1241617-Online-Services-Update-Masterlist-Forums. My guess it's temporary if the rest of the MP is still working. I have a friend logging into to test it now. 

1 minute ago, Jeanmi96 said:

Not really. The daily and weekly challenges are just a feature of the online mode. They'd only have to announce the whole shutdown of the multiplayer server, which hasn't happened. It's slightly annoying for trophy hunters that like to complete their games, but 99,5% of the players couldn't really care about this in the slightest :P.

Still unpleasant. Someone just started to play and does not suspect that platinum is not available.

3 minutes ago, U4oloG said:

Still unpleasant. Someone just started to play and does not suspect that platinum is not available.

That's why it's always a good thing to just test a game on an alt for 5 minutes before starting it on your main account. I've been doing that for about 6 years now, not quite sure why people wouldn't do that when they are about to start a really old game :P.

Also aren't the trophy related online features and the MP the first thing you should take care of?  I know you got the platinum done, but I'm talking about the people that just started the SP of the game and dropped it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeanmi96 said:

That's why it's always a good thing to just test a game on an alt for 5 minutes before starting it on your main account. I've been doing that for about 6 years now, not quite sure why people wouldn't do that when they are about to start a really old game :P.

Also aren't the trophy related online features and the MP the first thing you should take care of?  I know you got the platinum done, but I'm talking about the people that just started the SP of the game and dropped it.

Looks like I got the daily challenge trophy the day before they turned them off, everything looked normal when I did it, so playing on an alt would have done nothing.

10 minutes ago, Jeanmi96 said:

I understand

Just now, ThePhatMatt said:

Looks like I got the daily challenge trophy the day before they turned them off, everything looked normal when I did it, so playing on an alt would have done nothing.

That's why I would get it on the day it'd test the game :P.

Also it doesn't automatically synch the game on the PS3. Then again I don't really see why you would get all but 3 MP trophies in an MP that takes about 4hours to finish, no offence. 

Just now, Jeanmi96 said:

That's why I would get it on the day it'd test the game :P.

Also it doesn't automatically synch the game on the PS3. Then again I don't really see why you would get all but 3 MP trophies in an MP that takes about 4hours to finish, no offence. 

Because the others require a boosting partner. I got those trophies the day I got the game, I couldn't find a boosting partner that day.

5 minutes ago, ThePhatMatt said:

Because the others require a boosting partner. I got those trophies the day I got the game, I couldn't find a boosting partner that day.

Ah, fair enough. I usually only start the games when I have everything set up first or if I really want to play the SP of a game. I'd recommend it to anyone to fully plan out their boosts before just starting a game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeanmi96 said:

Ah, fair enough. I usually only start the games when I have everything set up first or if I really want to play the SP of a game. I'd recommend it to anyone to fully plan out their boosts before just starting a game.

I obviously wouldn't have started it if there was any sign of the online not working properly, but there was nothing. The challenges stopped working a while back and returned after a while, hopefully they come back and I can get them done.

Oh no, this is awfull.

As we can read in the older thread here in the forum [1], the challenges already disappeared in the past and became available again.

But if the support on twitter says the'yre gone, this time it's probably different.

However, maybe we are lucky and they turn them on for at least a limitted period of time again.

The server-side functionality of this feature should be quite simplistic, so we're not talking of an so expensive highend server, but just a small application which probably runs on one of the other servers.

I at least will write a mail to support to ask them to turn them on a last time again.

Of course, if a publisher decides to shutdown the online functionality (or parts thereof) of a game, a small number of support request doesn't change anything.

But I think, in this case, it's a bit different, mainly because there was no announcement in advance.

Therefore, I would argue with the following reasoning:

1. No announcement was given in advance
    Server shutdowns, although sad and annoying, are acceptable from the customer's point of view, if they are announced a few weeks in advance.
    This didn't happen here, but would in my opinion have changed much (I regularily monitor unfinished games in my profile for any threads appearing online which announce a server shutdown).
  2. Number of players online.
    According to shadownet, there are always between 150 and 300 players online.
    I have no idea, on which basis this number is determined (platform, region, ...), but one could argue that the multiplayer isn't completely dead already.
  3. Limitted effort of providing the server-side functionality
    As I wrote above, I believe the server-side functionality is quite simplistic. Just a small application running on some server machine, probably the dedicated server of another game.

Damn, Blacklist was indeed one of my biggest headaches in my profile, and I wanted to go for the multiplayer as soon as I finished RDR2, Hitman HD Collection and Uncharted...

100% profile, goodbye. Let's hope for a last chance.

[1] https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/19497-daily-challenges-disappeared/#comment-764185

Edited by waldiphil
typo correction
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, waldiphil said:
In fact, I don’t understand what the UBI was given by this disabling feature when the servers are running. There are always players in team shortcuts. Online is not dead. We must annoy them with letters and tweets.
  • Like 1