Do you recommend me this if i am not into the free time parts of the game?

USaccount354

Hi, i've never played any persona game but this one interests me alot and given it is on sale i'm tempted to try it out, but only one thing makes me not to

I know the game involves on having a "normal life" aspect aside from fighting. Would this make me hate the game as i would have to wait a certain time to actually get into fighting?

I'm not into the slice of life kinda thing, and it worries me that the game will have lots of these that i would hate it, do you guys think i should still try it out?

I aim for the platinum aswell, but i won't mind making a 2nd playthrough and focus on tackling all missable even if they are related to the free time moments. I'd like my first playthough to be enjoyably and not tedious with all the free time moments.

Thanks

If you're not up to reading dialogue boxes for a significant amount of time in between fighting this game is probably not for you. However, i am pretty sure you can skip dialogue and/or cutscenes. And you can simply go to bed early to skip free time stuff, to go directly to dungeons. But that will probably not be an enjoyable way to play the game.

The game has some of the best turn-based combat you'll ever play, but the "free time" makes you stronger so they are necessary to the game.

Each day after school, you pretty much pick what you want to do for the day. Let's say for a 30-day month, you'll spend 23-25 of those days hanging out/fishing/doing laundry/playing video games/studying/etc and the rest of the 5-7 days fighting.

Though, I spent roughly 80-90 hours on my first playthrough and I bet about half was actually fighting and half doing "other stuff."

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
Spacing
  • Like 2

As the people above had said, the free time events are a big part of the story, although you can skip through them if you would really like. It might be worth at least giving them a shot as Persona 5 has a great story/characters. 

If you are completely against the idea of the free time events though, then the game's probably not for you 

Being a big fan of the series, maybe spend your money on something that will be more worth it for you. The "free time" events are a HUGE part of it, as its one of the things that sets it apart from other rpgs. Maybe watch someone else playing trough those parts of the game and see if you dislike it as much as you thin right now, otherwise buying solely for the very good turn-based combat it's a no-no.

9 minutes ago, USaccount354 said:

Thank you all for your advice. Guess i will not get the game yet afterall since the free times takes up half the gameplay. Might get it when it's even cheaper

Only takes up time if you allow it too.

For example, watching a cutscene versus skipping can be the difference of 10mins.

Plus finding ur way versus following a guide can be the difference of 45mins to 2 minutes per day.

You could still enjoy this if you follow a guide for the free time parts. Across about 5 playthrough, Ive literally skipped the story EVERY single time and have also always sped through the free time segments.

How much real time the free time parts take up is entirely dependant on the individual, unlike the battle parts.

You will be spending time building up your compendium for battle segments any how which you may enjoy.

Like I say, ive always skipped the story and ran through free time parts, but I still have fun

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LionRed10 said:

I literally can't see the point of playing this kind of game if you are just gonna skip pretty much 60% of it on your very first playtrough. Don't do it.

Whatever floats ur boat

Just saying I very much enjoyed it and I have been through the game about 5 or 6 times and have ALWAYS skipped the dialog

Just throwing it out there that it can still be enjoyed, saying it cant be is a matter of opinion, depends entirely on the player. I still have no clue on the story and I still plan on.going back into it soon and doing a few more playthroughs

I did quite enjoy optimising the free time stuff though, just ignore any dialog/lore/NPC interaction as much as I could

• Like 2

Watch a few episodes of NicoB's Playthough on Youtube and then you can see whether it's for you or not. (they contain spoilers btw)
Personally this game is heavily based on the characters and the story, so that means that if you rush through the game, you'll not have the complete experencie you are looking/paying for.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/17/2018 at 6:17 PM, sephiroth4424 said:

This game is not for you. You will have to spend 70-80 hours into things that have nothing to do with fighting

I've not played any of the Persona games. Is the completion requirements similar to the Yakuza series in that a vast portion of the game is mini-game challenges and stuff?

• 2 months later...
On 11/30/2018 at 1:57 PM, GoldenShaka said:

Ey guys, all this free time is reading? the US version of the game is dubbed?

Planning to purchase it, I have no problem with the social part of the game, but I hope most of the dialogue is spoken or I have to read most of time?

Important scenes are spoken, most are not. You'll be doing a lot of reading eitherway.

On 1/31/2019 at 11:23 PM, DaveMcDamage said:

I've not played any of the Persona games. Is the completion requirements similar to the Yakuza series in that a vast portion of the game is mini-game challenges and stuff?

There's like 3 mini-games, completion is more focused on optimizing the social aspect of the game to get a more powerful party and experience more story.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...