Difficult platinums that aren't ultra rares

GMZ

Definitely Call of Duty Classic for me. The Platinum sits at 11.46 % and yet it's superhard. This is a really old-style FPS where you have a health bar instead of your screen going blurry and black/white when you take damage, so you don't get to regenerate your health by waiting in a safe spot for a few seconds. On Veteran mode there are no health pickups and the savepoints in the levels only save your progress when your health is above a certain level, so considering how much damage even one bullet does you basically have to complete most levels without taking a single hit ?

Edited by GTRP_Lancerlover
  • Like 1

In my list, I haven't got any difficult platinums that aren't ultra rare. I think my hardest platinum which isn't ultra rare would be Rayman Origins, which is only moderate difficulty at 5/10 and not even very rare with 12%. My hardest trophy above 5% rarity is probably Teacher's Pet from Dirt 3 for achieving a platinum medal in every Gymkhana Tutorial, but the platinum is ultra rare.

2 hours ago, PermaFox said:

Definitely any plat that requires 100 hours or more of grinding

8 minutes ago, Lorajet said:

Any platinum that may have trophies that require MP and the possibility of hacked lobbies.  Those are a pita.

That's not difficulty. That's just tedious. 

1 hour ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Star Wars The Force Unleashed: completing the game on the highest difficulty was incredibly hard for me.

Rarity is skewed because you can glitch the hardest difficulty.

All that comes to mind really is World at War to be honest. That one was quite difficult.

Still surprised monster hunter world and danganronpa 3 aren't UR, as those games were quite the grind too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Star Wars The Force Unleashed: completing the game on the highest difficulty was incredibly hard for me.

I second that. I am still amazed how many people achieved the platinum. For me it felt like a chore...constantly dying and hoping to have reached a new checkpoint^^

From personal experience I would throw in Jak&Daxter 2 and 3. It is outrageous how poorly the controls and grabbing mechanics were implemented (my opinion). I know a lot of people consider them classics and propably have played them several times back in the PSX days but after completing each level I felt so releaved. Trying each level 50+ times is not my favourite kind of gameplay ;). 

(and most likely 95% of the plat achiever used the infinite orb glitch)

26 minutes ago, Mikoto_railgun01 said:

bioshock as survival is hell to do. i know the ps4 version has the difficulty swap glitch but doing it legit means you have to know the game inside and out.

It's really not that bad as you can save any time you want, do well for a little bit, get some good kills rinse and repeat. I've done it a few times, because I NEEDED IT!!!!!!! ? 

• Like 1

Just now, De_Band said:

Don't Get how Bloodborne has such a High % I know most did the 3 ending cheap save data thing, but still, you would have go grind through the dungeon's which took long and wasn't easy. and the % is really damn high

Probably because it was enjoyable. Bloodborne was one of the few games I grinded for hours non stop, everything in it just works and the sound design and soundtrack gives other feel to it.

The only part I didn't liked was defeating the Old Watch Dog on a defiled chalice, it was just pure luck on the other hand Amygdala really tested your skill and patience (I will never forget when I died and she was 2 hits away to die)

3 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Crash Bandicoot 1: Okay, I can understand the second or 3rd game being "rare" as the running shoes make it manageable, but the first one is just awful. High Road and Road to Nowhere was the most frustrating thing I played this year no question. And I mean JUST BEATING THE LEVEL. How does this site  have the game sit at 11%?!? Do that many people use shareplay? I'm not saying that it should be UR, but 1/10 people doing this is just seems way too high, IMO.

Magic of Rope Walking.

Since Soulsborne has already been mentioned I'll give a mention to Bayonetta at least if you don't exploit it with that horn glitch or grind for the currency (I think they are called Halos) to buy the Climax Bracelet item. You could probably say the same about the Devil May Cry games if you don't farm for items and orbs.

The Batman Arkham games are also kind of difficult because of the combat and stealth challenges you have to do. The only non-Ultra Rare ones among them is Arkham Asylum and Arkham Knight. I'm surprised to see City as Ultra Rare since I found that one to be slightly easier than Asylum. But I know for Asylum the biggest obstacle is the combat and stealth challenges and for Arkham Knight NG+ mode is kind of a pain during some parts of the story.

I guess I could also mention The Witcher 3 since I guess it depends on how well you handle Death March difficulty. Especially since there are a few moments where you get put into fistfights that feel kind of cheap.

Mine is Metal Gear Solid 2 at 5.07%. My favorite game of all time, but mmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan those vr sniping missions were the worst things ever. Wish it was ultra rare because of that.

Assassin's Creed 3 is also pretty close at 5.66%. I think this game has a glitch that causes some trophies not to pop (if I'm remembering correctly) so makes sense why it is so low for an AC game.

I'm also going to say Crash 1, Crash 2, and Bloodborne. Really, the Souls games in general. I know they were originally marketed towards hardcore gamers, but they gotta be considered mainstream now. Maybe they would be rarer without summons? But the Crash games are definitely something I could see more casual gamers playing for a few hours and then moving on to the next Call of Halo or Destnite game. Even with the rope trick, Crash 1 was a nightmare to platinum...

As for a game that hasn't been mentioned yet... Fill-a-Pix: Phil's Epic Adventure. How is that shit at 35%? I know only 128 people were crazy enough to play it, but you're going to tell me 49 of them were also crazy enough to platinum it!?

We live in a strange, strange world.

4 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Ico: I still have no idea why people punished themselves to earn this platinum. It is over 6%, but it was way harder than a lot of other URs sitting under 5% such as CoD Back Ops or TLOU. Anyone who's done this legit would agree with me that this is UR difficulty.

Crash Bandicoot 1: Okay, I can understand the second or 3rd game being "rare" as the running shoes make it manageable, but the first one is just awful. High Road and Road to Nowhere was the most frustrating thing I played this year no question. And I mean JUST BEATING THE LEVEL. How does this site  have the game sit at 11%?!? Do that many people use shareplay? I'm not saying that it should be UR, but 1/10 people doing this is just seems way too high, IMO.

I suck, and I got platinum run on High Road.  Just gotta practice :lol: 

As far as OP goes. I'd say the Crash series is a challenge.  MGS games or maybe even some games like Devil May Cry

3 hours ago, Great_MazingerZ said:

Then how about Batman the Arkham games ? i find them really hard purely skill dependent and yet they are not UR plats except for Arkham Origins because of the online trophies.

Yes, I find the Arkham games difficult, but that's because I suck at combat challenges. 

2 hours ago, Mikoto_railgun01 said:

bioshock as survival is hell to do. i know the ps4 version has the difficulty swap glitch but doing it legit means you have to know the game inside and out.

I am going through Bioshock right now on survival and I feel like this is how the game was meant to be played (sorry if that sounds pretentious). Big Daddy fights are actually really tough. You gotta plan out a strategy and often use the majority of your resources. Hacking is a necessity. It even encourages you to constantly switch plasmids at gene banks. Also, you pretty much have to explore everywhere to have enough ammo to move on. Its still a really great experience compared to other "hard" difficulties that just rely on faster reaction times so that may explain why the platinum percentage is above ultra rare

Edited by mattveego

Probably gonna be laughed at but I think Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep Final Mix (PS3) is surprisingly not an ultra rare. The super bosses are no joke even on the easiest difficulty, it's like you need to know every nuance of the game. Oh, and you have to do it all three frigging times. As someone pointed out above, the griding and repetition is arguably not so much "difficult" as it is "tedious" but still, it's a lot harder than Re:Chain of Memories in my opinion and that game actually is an ultra rare plat.

Edited by Stan Lee

Not a platinum but the community pack DLC for Batman Arkham Knight should all be UR.

Get more than 1 million points in a map to release Killer Croc is almost impossible, you need atleast a combo of 300 at the beggining just to have a chance to get to him. The trophy for getting flawless FreeFlow is also difficult because Robin and Nightwing are really slow but you can get it by training and use the same combos you used with Batman but with Catwoman is better to start thinking on other combos

Edited by maiathewinners