Great_MazingerZ

Difficult platinums that aren't ultra rares

85 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Ico: I still have no idea why people punished themselves to earn this platinum. It is over 6%, but it was way harder than a lot of other URs sitting under 5% such as CoD Back Ops or TLOU. Anyone who's done this legit would agree with me that this is UR difficulty.

 

Crash Bandicoot 1: Okay, I can understand the second or 3rd game being "rare" as the running shoes make it manageable, but the first one is just awful. High Road and Road to Nowhere was the most frustrating thing I played this year no question. And I mean JUST BEATING THE LEVEL. How does this site  have the game sit at 11%?!? Do that many people use shareplay? I'm not saying that it should be UR, but 1/10 people doing this is just seems way too high, IMO.

 

 

 

What part of ICO did you find hard? Trying to do the speed run with the dumb-as-bricks ai is frustrating, but not hard. I got it on my first attempt without using a guide. I just did one playthrough prior to the speed run attempt. Game is short enough. 

 

6 hours ago, AN0n1m8 said:

Motorstorm RC. His platinum (for any console) isn't rare because can be popped with a savegame (crossplay). But damn, those time trials are very difficult.

 

I played on both the vita and ps3 and didn't find the game too difficult. Hardest part with the super car challenges in the dlc, but that doesn't reflect the plat rarity. If you get yourself familiar with the different types of cars on each track, just like with any racing game, most challenges are easy. The times just fall into place as you get experienced at the game.

 

As for the tough games I've encountered that have more common than UR: Bloodborne was one, but only because I did a challenge for myself. I wanted to get through my first play through at the lowest level I could stand. I ended up beating the game and DLC at level 55. 

 

Another game that has been kicking my butt lately with a 16% plat is King of Fighters Collection: Orochi Saga. This collection is surprisingly tough. Damn snk fighters. The plat rarity is mostly due to the fact that nobody owns it and those who have plat it are snk lifers. Art of Fighting Anthology has a UR plat of 3.5% but that should definitely be lower. It also suffers from very few owners to snk pro plat earners.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Probably gonna be laughed at but I think Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep Final Mix (PS3) is surprisingly not an ultra rare. The super bosses are no joke even on the easiest difficulty, it's like you need to know every nuance of the game. Oh, and you have to do it all three frigging times. As someone pointed out above, the griding and repetition is arguably not so much "difficult" as it is "tedious" but still, it's a lot harder than Re:Chain of Memories in my opinion and that game actually is an ultra rare plat.

 

I definitely agree with you. BBS has much harder bosses than CoM, and if it weren't for the card battle system requiring more attention I don't think it would be UR. (having to be aware of your deck in the middle of combat isn't a great mechanic as far as I'm concerned because it constantly takes your eyes away from the fight itself.)

 

 If you play BBS on normal first you have to do the game 6 times anyways. (counting final/secret episodes)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Phil said:

 

What part of ICO did you find hard? Trying to do the speed run with the dumb-as-bricks ai is frustrating, but not hard. I got it on my first attempt without using a guide. I just did one playthrough prior to the speed run attempt. Game is short enough. 

In particular, the graveyard, one of the gates (the one with the sword), and there was another place where you have to leave Yorda that's hard to explain.

 

Pretty much any time you had to leave her alone for a period of time or where your success depended on how fast her responded to you calling for her. Any time I had AI issues, I had my roommate play as Yorda because I failed on my first attempt (by a mere minute) because I just accepted her stupidity and tried to push through it by going faster on other parts. Terrible, terrible idea.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CoD: World at War, completing veteran mode was probably the most frustrating thing I've done in a game, constant grenade spam and the checkpoints aren't that great. 

 

Dragon Age: Inquisition. You have to do a fair amount of xp grinding and/or spend a lot of time doing boring open world chores before you can move onto the next main mission. Playing on the hardest difficulty is also pretty tough if you're not the right class, even when just fighting normal demons.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, xZoneHunter said:

 

Rarity is skewed because you can glitch the hardest difficulty.

That's not fair, everyone should suffer like I did :devil: .

 

16 hours ago, Bobble_DD said:

I second that. I am still amazed how many people achieved the platinum. For me it felt like a chore...constantly dying and hoping to have reached a new checkpoint^^

Same, I tried to avoid most of the mid to late game enemies as much as possible, especially those robots that were immune against force attacks.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, any of the Kingdom Hearts platinums are hard as I can never manage above normal mode. The trophies for clearing the game on proud or critical are impossible for me, but my friend who's really good at KH got them without too much difficulty. The one in KH1 to collect all the gummi ship pieces and find all the dalmations are a pain.

 

In FFX, The chocobo rider trophy is tough imo. It doesn't seem to be very rare, but I guess when you look at the number of players its quite a lot and probably just needs a lot of patient and luck, both of which I find difficult.

Disgaea 4- collect all the pirate ship pieces... takes a million hours and lots of rng.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Danganronpa V3 - I will never understand, why the persentage is so high considering you must get S ranking in that monolith minigame and the ridiculous grind in the board game. And i am not even mentioning that dungeon crawling RPG.

The Witness - Again, the Challenge trophy was so hard for me (especially if you are like me who never could remember the path through the labyrinth). I can't believe so many people finished this timed puzzle.

Honorable mention - Those throphies in Nathan Drake collection for Brutal difficulty. I have never played such badly balanced and frustrating difficulty.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, I need more BIOSHOCK said:

Table top racing world tour springs to mind. While it's a fun racer for a table top game getting the plat is not easy at all!

 

Out of curiousity did you switch your acceleration controls?

 

I found this was mostly a very easy plat, but, I encountered a 'glitch' of sorts and so seem to have quite a few people as I've seen people say it's very difficult.

 

For some reason some people who used the default R2 as the acceleration option cannot reach full speed/acceleration, it also made drifting nearly impossible without using a turbo (making drift challenges very tight). To fix this, switch to X to accelerate and suddenly you'll go from struggling to get first place to lapping your opponents.

 

I genuinely think this bug is why so many people thought this was way way harder than it is. It took me about half way into the game to realise it was glitched, I can only imagine just how hard the 2nd half would be with the glitch.

 

Don't know if it was ever fixed, been a couple years since I touched it.

 

If you did the whole game with the glitch in effect, kudos, that's quite the challenge.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WeprCZ said:

Danganronpa V3 - I will never understand, why the persentage is so high considering you must get S ranking in that monolith minigame and the ridiculous grind in the board game. And i am not even mentioning that dungeon crawling RPG.

The Witness - Again, the Challenge trophy was so hard for me (especially if you are like me who never could remember the path through the labyrinth). I can't believe so many people finished this timed puzzle.

Honorable mention - Those throphies in Nathan Drake collection for Brutal difficulty. I have never played such badly balanced and frustrating difficulty.

 

For v3 it's probably low player base (at least on here) + passionate fanbase. I probably wouldn't have bothered with the plat if I didn't like the series so much. And the lower player base/more niche games will almost always have more common trophies relative to difficulty/grind.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2018 at 10:59 AM, snakebit10 said:

Call of Duty World at War. You get through all the grenade spam and you are good to go.

 

Modern Warfare Remastered. If doing Mile High Club Legit and the Best of the Best trophy.

 

Titanfall 2 The training course trophy.

 

As most would say is difficulty is subjective. May not be the same for everyone.

 

i have all three of these, hard and ridiculous, but worth it at the same time 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

 

Out of curiousity did you switch your acceleration controls?

 

I found this was mostly a very easy plat, but, I encountered a 'glitch' of sorts and so seem to have quite a few people as I've seen people say it's very difficult.

 

For some reason some people who used the default R2 as the acceleration option cannot reach full speed/acceleration, it also made drifting nearly impossible without using a turbo (making drift challenges very tight). To fix this, switch to X to accelerate and suddenly you'll go from struggling to get first place to lapping your opponents.

 

I genuinely think this bug is why so many people thought this was way way harder than it is. It took me about half way into the game to realise it was glitched, I can only imagine just how hard the 2nd half would be with the glitch.

 

Don't know if it was ever fixed, been a couple years since I touched it.

 

If you did the whole game with the glitch in effect, kudos, that's quite the challenge.

Interesting! Never knew it existed, I wish I had known lol. And yea thanks, did it all legit. Was going to do the 100% but I just cannot be arsed with that last supernova trophy. Game has become an annoying chore to play, zero fun now. No point bothering wasting any time for me once a game reaches that point. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2018 at 7:11 PM, sashamence said:

Knack - mediocre platformer with lots and lots of tedious things to do - even being in PS+ still didn't become UR.

 

Hotline Miami 2 - Dead Ahead on Hard. Plat more common than Wood Boy trophy from SMB.

 

And still can't believe Bloodborne is 20%+ plat with ps+ support.

Say what you will, but at least the combat was improved in Knack 2. Doubt I'll ever get Knack 1 platted, but Knack 2 is definitely doable.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/11/2018 at 7:34 PM, Sergen said:

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls comes to mind for a game that takes quite a lot of time to platinum that isn't rare at all.

 

It may not be Ultra rare but, it is a Very rare Platinum and it's an amazing game to play.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Armored Squirrel said:

Say what you will, but at least the combat was improved in Knack 2. Doubt I'll ever get Knack 1 platted, but Knack 2 is definitely doable.

Yep, I heard Knack 2 is way better than 1. Gonna try this one day on sale.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WeprCZ said:

The Witness - Again, the Challenge trophy was so hard for me (especially if you are like me who never could remember the path through the labyrinth). I can't believe so many people finished this timed puzzle.

The reason is in the fact that when the game was released there was a glitch in the challenge. Player could just take a photo of the puzzle and then put PS4 into rest mode to pause the challenge timer. Then he could solve the puzzle and reopen the game.

It was patched in 1.02 version.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/11/2018 at 6:52 PM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Crash Bandicoot 1: Okay, I can understand the second or 3rd game being "rare" as the running shoes make it manageable, but the first one is just awful. High Road and Road to Nowhere was the most frustrating thing I played this year no question. And I mean JUST BEATING THE LEVEL. How does this site  have the game sit at 11%?!? Do that many people use shareplay? I'm not saying that it should be UR, but 1/10 people doing this is just seems way too high, IMO.

 

 

 

Speed Boots don’t do anything at all to manage anything. 2 and 3 have them, the times required are shorter. If the first game had speed boots, instead completing a level within 60seg, you would have to complete it under 45 :)

 

Shareplay might be one of the reasons the platinum is “high”, at least I know some people that asked other friends to 100% it ;) even though these trials are try and error, you don’t spend too much time in each level and you’ll end up getting the relic, after a few tries.

 

In time, this game might become very rare - not ultra; but something between 5 and 10% - just like Crash Bandicoot 2.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TurtlePM said:

 

Speed Boots don’t do anything at all to manage anything. 2 and 3 have them, the times required are shorter. If the first game had speed boots, instead completing a level within 60seg, you would have to complete it under 45 :)

 

Shareplay might be one of the reasons the platinum is “high”, at least I know some people that asked other friends to 100% it ;) even though these trials are try and error, you don’t spend too much time in each level and you’ll end up getting the relic, after a few tries.

 

In time, this game might become very rare - not ultra; but something between 5 and 10% - just like Crash Bandicoot 2.

Yeah, I'm not saying that it should be UR (said that in my post), but I think it should be fine closer to 7-8% (very rare) than 11-12%.

 

The shoes gives you the ability for a ridiculous long jump though (especially in 3) which just makes the platforming ridiculously easy. They make some of the hardest platforming a joke. That's what I mean by more "manageable." I realize that the time is adjusted to the shoes! ;)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Yeah, I'm not saying that it should be UR (said that in my post), but I think it should be fine closer to 7-8% (very rare) than 11-12%.

 

The shoes gives you the ability for a ridiculous long jump though (especially in 3) which just makes the platforming ridiculously easy. They make some of the hardest platforming a joke. That's what I mean by more "manageable." I realize that the time is adjusted to the shoes! ;)

 

Running and jumping with or without speed boots is the same thing. Only with slide and jump makes the difference, which is something you can’t do in the first game. In Crash 3 you can use that ridiculous spin attack to glide, that makes things way easier indeed :D

 

Sure, I’m just answering your questions about the rarity itself :) I actually found the time trials on Crash 2 way harder then Crash 1 and 3 :/

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17.11.2018 at 7:46 PM, PermaFox said:

Definitely any plat that requires 100 hours or more of grinding

Yeah, like the one I'm working on for weeks now:

- Vita: Space Hulk

Also those that require some crazy research, this one was very intensive:

- Vita: Spider: Rite of the Shrouded Moon

And those that require some almost new analogue sticks:

- Vita: Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified

 

theGoon44.png

 

Still on my PS3 and Vita games!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No platinum but I was quite surprised to see that beating Uncharted 1 on Brutal is only Very Rare instead of Ultra Rare. I mean, that shit is HARD. Last checkpoint of the game was crazy because it was purely luck based if you could even attempt it. 9 out of 10 times you'd just die immediately after the cutscene without being able to do anything.

 

I'm nuts and all but I didn't think that so many people were just as crazy.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, TheExorzist said:

No platinum but I was quite surprised to see that beating Uncharted 1 on Brutal is only Very Rare instead of Ultra Rare. I mean, that shit is HARD. Last checkpoint of the game was crazy because it was purely luck based if you could even attempt it. 9 out of 10 times you'd just die immediately after the cutscene without being able to do anything.

 

I'm nuts and all but I didn't think that so many people were just as crazy.

People did the difficulty glitch to give them one-shot kill and inf ammo. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TheExorzist said:

No platinum but I was quite surprised to see that beating Uncharted 1 on Brutal is only Very Rare instead of Ultra Rare. I mean, that shit is HARD. Last checkpoint of the game was crazy because it was purely luck based if you could even attempt it. 9 out of 10 times you'd just die immediately after the cutscene without being able to do anything.

 

I'm nuts and all but I didn't think that so many people were just as crazy.

To be honest, Charted! - Brutal (Finish the Game on Brutal Without Changing the Difficulty) IS UR sitting at ~3,72% if you consider achievers / owners of the game ratio.

 

Instead, psnprofiles uses strange algorithm to count the rarity of the DLC trophies which I still don't understand (it's not achievers / owners of the game, because it would be 3,72% then; it's also not achievers / "owners" of the DLC, because it would be ~10,77% - I mean "owners" because it's obvious everybody who owns remastered version of this game also owns DLC)

 

If somebody know a quick answer about the way psnprofiles counts DLC trophies, I'd really appreciate the answer.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sound Shapes is one that's a lot harder than the rarity would indicate. Many people got it because of how you can pop multiple lists on one playthrough, but as far as I'm concerned, anyone who completed Death Mode is entirely welcome to those stacks.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rdhight said:

Sound Shapes is one that's a lot harder than the rarity would indicate. Many people got it because of how you can pop multiple lists on one playthrough, but as far as I'm concerned, anyone who completed Death Mode is entirely welcome to those stacks.

I agree with you on that one, Sound Shapes in my opinion is a hard platinum that will make your hands worked up to the max but the good thing about it is it becomes doable with practice 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.