Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spaz

How is this game?

19 posts in this topic

I played some Origins a couple nights ago on another account and found it very fun to play.

 

Taking away the older mission structure that lasted from Brotherhood all the way through Syndicate helped out a lot. Quests are thrown out in a different manner and being able to explore such a big landscape of Egypt is great, since I'm a sucker for Egyptian history.

 

I'm also into Greek lore and history, so is Odyssey more of the same? I hear it's the most time consuming of the AC games to platinum.

Edited by Spaz
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm most of the way through this one. IMO it's way better than Origins.

 

Origins was my first AC game and I thought it was really good. This one though...GOTY for me. I might be on my own on that one but..yeah.

 

The combat is better, main character is more interesting (If you pick Kassandra), plot is easier to follow, Just better all round. 

 

It's long though. I'm at 66hrs and still not at plat yet. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll give my opinion simply because I think I'm going to be in the minority.

 

I don't think it's as good as Origins but if I gave Origins an 8/10 Odyssey would be a 7-7.5/10.

 

Combat is definitely more balanced so it's a bit more difficult. Origins had some really broken weapons that were fun to use, but ultimately made it so you could breeze through certain things. Also, horse combat is far less effective lol. (You could tear through phylakes with horse combat. A mosquito farting near your horse in Odyssey is enough to make it fall over.) Plenty of combat styles to choose so if you get bored with one then you can easily switch to something else.

 

I personally did not like the dialogue choices. I felt that characters didn't develop so much as you made them whoever you wanted. I said this in a status update a while ago. Kassandra wouldn't be the same if you took 2 random people and compared them. Kassandra could be a prude who took a more compassionate route to things, or you could be what my brother and I made her. "Kiss-and-Kill Kassandra the Slutty Spartan". This applies to the story too. I feel like the story loses something along the way if you can choose the outcome of certain things. (this is where I think most people would disagree with me.)

 

Naval combat is pretty much a non-factor, but Odyssey has plenty to do here.

 

This one is kind of a tough one to put into words, but I felt that Origins got into its setting more. Like it felt more Egyptian to me than Odyssey does with its Greek setting. However, Odyssey does have plenty of historical things in it you will find interesting or make you crack a smile if you're into Greek history/mythology. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Combat is much more refined in Odyssey,

Though I prefer Origins more, aside from the fact I like Egyptian mythology more I feel like they did a better job intertwining the story and Egyptian lore than they did the Greek,

Odyssey is still a great game though 2nd place in the AC series to me, I just think they missed some opportunities, but they could still be added with updates.

 

It took me 92 hours to plat.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's Assassin's Creed...don't expect the redevelopment of the video game and expect more of the same that we've seen for the past decade...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, PSXtreme_ said:

It's Assassin's Creed...don't expect the redevelopment of the video game and expect more of the same that we've seen for the past decade...

This is far from the truth.  This is not Assassin's Creed, at least not like it's been "for the past decade".  There is no motivation for stealth.  There are no missions that require it.  There is no hidden blade.  There are no locked regions that require you to progress through the game to unlock them.  You do, however, have to do a bunch of side quests to earn enough XP to make the entire world possible to play.

 

There are endless cutscenes and dialog choices that you cannot skip except one line at a time.  If there's a story, I can't tell you anything about it because it's boring as hell.  I can't even really tell which of the missions are part of the story and which are side quests.  I'm just roaming around, leveling up, and doing whichever quest is closest or a change of pace from the last one.  That isn't very easy because they're all pretty much the same: go there, kill things, come back.  In one case (kill all the wolves), I didn't even have to kill the wolves -- I got to the location, sent the eagle to scope things out, and watched a couple of bears kill the wolves for me.  Back to the starting point, got my reward.  This is not fun.

 

They've taken the best parts of the franchise and dropped them.  They've taken the worst parts of Origins and enhanced them.  And the one thing that I've said "never gets old", the Leap of Faith, has gotten old because as soon as you land, you jump right out again.  What used to be a pleasant, calming activity has become anything but because it forces you back into the game instantly.

 

Sure, the map is huge, but that means it takes a lot longer to run from place to place.  Fast Travel points are too far apart to be useful here and sometimes they aren't enabled very quickly after you finish a location so you have to wait or run somewhere else before you can use them.

 

Like I said, this is not fun.

 

Edited by haljor
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Spaz said:

I played some Origins a couple nights ago on another account and found it very fun to play.

 

Taking away the older mission structure that lasted from Brotherhood all the way through Syndicate helped out a lot. Quests are thrown out in a different manner and being able to explore such a big landscape of Egypt is great, since I'm a sucker for Egyptian history.

 

I'm also into Greek lore and history, so is Odyssey more of the same? I hear it's the most time consuming of the AC games to platinum.

Took me a month and a half and nearly 200 hours (on its hardest difficulty) to platinum. It has improvements, but it also removed some features I liked from Origins. If you don't mind somewhat of a grind with a lot of similarities to Origins, you'll probably like Odyssey.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 If there's a story

 

Sad how you expect anyone to take your comment seriously if you can't even admit a story exists and only complain.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TJ_Solo said:

 

Sad how you expect anyone to take your comment seriously if you can't even admit a story exists and only complain.

I play these games for the action/adventure, not the alleged story.  I skip the dialog as quickly as I can because it does not interest me in the slightest.  Side quests, by their general nature, are not part of the main storyline.  In this one, there are an awful lot of them, it's basically required to play them just to be able to proceed through the main storyline, and they're very similar in their objectives.  So as I'm playing my way through this thing (because I'm addicted to the franchise, at least I was) it's totally transparent to me that there is a story.  I'm sure it's there because people talk about it.  I just don't see it, and yes, that's my choice.

 

So this was bad phrasing on my part.  I just find this game so immensely frustrating because I don't love what they've done with the franchise.  For the record, I've played all of them (except III) all the way through and I loved them all (except III).  Still, the only thing I can tell you about any of their stories is beating up the pope.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, haljor said:

I play these games for the action/adventure, not the alleged story.  I skip the dialog as quickly as I can because it does not interest me in the slightest.  Side quests, by their general nature, are not part of the main storyline.  In this one, there are an awful lot of them, it's basically required to play them just to be able to proceed through the main storyline, and they're very similar in their objectives.  So as I'm playing my way through this thing (because I'm addicted to the franchise, at least I was) it's totally transparent to me that there is a story.  I'm sure it's there because people talk about it.  I just don't see it, and yes, that's my choice.

 

So this was bad phrasing on my part.  I just find this game so immensely frustrating because I don't love what they've done with the franchise.  For the record, I've played all of them (except III) all the way through and I loved them all (except III).  Still, the only thing I can tell you about any of their stories is beating up the pope.

 

I agree with you I cannot play an assasins creed game anymore.  They literally give you the option of grind shitty side quests to progress the story or pay more fucking money to be able to progress.  Theres nothing assasiney about the games anymore either.  I haven't played odyssey but I have played Origins and the amount of sidequests I had to do to be able to progress the main story was unbearable and from what I have been told it hasn't changed.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you enjoyed Origins then there is a good chance you will like Odyssey. Yes the platinum is time consuming but it's not hard or stressful at all, I also like how the game gives you more options to play the game how you want like going in and just kill all the enemies or you can take them out silently or from a distance. I also liked the story much more simple and easier to follow, it is more of a personal story for the main character I liked Origins but I found the story to be really confusing and I ended up not caring about it at all.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really liked the game, combat was definitely harder and naval was fun. This game is like a better version of Origins, minus the story. Origins had a much better story and felt more supernatural (like the epic giant snake battle), while Odyssey has 4 supernatural side-bosses and that's it. This game is more a battle between humans and not so much about magic and powers

Edited by Erkawest
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its the second best AC game on my opinion the combat is awesome and addictive the world is great and fun to explore

 

the story is better than most of AC games the side quest are very enjoyable too

 

if you liked Origins you will definitely love Odyssey 

Edited by dark69knight
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, haljor said:

This is far from the truth.  This is not Assassin's Creed, at least not like it's been "for the past decade".  There is no motivation for stealth.  There are no missions that require it.  There is no hidden blade.  There are no locked regions that require you to progress through the game to unlock them.  You do, however, have to do a bunch of side quests to earn enough XP to make the entire world possible to play.

 

There are endless cutscenes and dialog choices that you cannot skip except one line at a time.  If there's a story, I can't tell you anything about it because it's boring as hell.  I can't even really tell which of the missions are part of the story and which are side quests.  I'm just roaming around, leveling up, and doing whichever quest is closest or a change of pace from the last one.  That isn't very easy because they're all pretty much the same: go there, kill things, come back.  In one case (kill all the wolves), I didn't even have to kill the wolves -- I got to the location, sent the eagle to scope things out, and watched a couple of bears kill the wolves for me.  Back to the starting point, got my reward.  This is not fun.

 

They've taken the best parts of the franchise and dropped them.  They've taken the worst parts of Origins and enhanced them.  And the one thing that I've said "never gets old", the Leap of Faith, has gotten old because as soon as you land, you jump right out again.  What used to be a pleasant, calming activity has become anything but because it forces you back into the game instantly.

 

Sure, the map is huge, but that means it takes a lot longer to run from place to place.  Fast Travel points are too far apart to be useful here and sometimes they aren't enabled very quickly after you finish a location so you have to wait or run somewhere else before you can use them.

 

Like I said, this is not fun.

 

 

I believe story wise this was before the hidden blade. If you paid any attention to the story, Altair from the first Assassins Creed was one of the first true Assassins to don the hidden blade, which he had to sacrifice a finger for.

 

Ezio Auditore had his own hidden blades but thanks to the help of Leonardo da Vinci, he didn't need to sacrifice any fingers. Every mainstay Assassin after Altair and Ezio had their own hidden blades.

 

And because Odyssey takes place in the BCs, it has the oldest timeline and therefore the hidden blade did not exist.

 

I guess you didn't play the first Assassins Creed. Odyssey does a much better job telling it's story while providing gameplay (from what I've seen on YouTube videos), whereas the first game was pretty much lackluster in gameplay. I would argue that the first game told the best story, while Assassins Creed 2 and virtually every other game in the series has been mostly on the gameplay. I wouldn't consider the story to be a strong point, there's a lot of flaws and inconsistencies.

 

Nobody cares about the Assassins vs Templars conflict anymore really, and I hope there will be a game that will expand on the story. Hell, bring back another Desmond Miles, because the present day storyline is piss poor.

 

Obviously the Leap of Faith has been done to death at this point. In the older Assassins Creed games climbing those monuments and towers was like solving a little puzzle. You had to solve this puzzle but you were rewarding with revealing a portion of the map, which you would synch at those jumping points and then do the Leap of Faith.

 

It's nothing special now.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decent game. If your looking for something to take up your time this is where its at lmao. 66 hours to platinum and there adding hella dlc trophys and if you buy the season pass you get another game to plat plus the additional dlc there dropping. So overall a lot of content. Storywise tho, the game isnt the best and is kinda lack luster. Basically run around doing peoples chores for them. And theres a lot of quest line stuff you have to do. If u dont buy the booster it takes way longer. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Spaz said:

I guess you didn't play the first Assassins Creed. Odyssey does a much better job telling it's story while providing gameplay (from what I've seen on YouTube videos), whereas the first game was pretty much lackluster in gameplay. I would argue that the first game told the best story, while Assassins Creed 2 and virtually every other game in the series has been mostly on the gameplay. I wouldn't consider the story to be a strong point, there's a lot of flaws and inconsistencies.

...

Obviously the Leap of Faith has been done to death at this point. In the older Assassins Creed games climbing those monuments and towers was like solving a little puzzle. You had to solve this puzzle but you were rewarding with revealing a portion of the map, which you would synch at those jumping points and then do the Leap of Faith.

 

It's nothing special now.

I did play the first one, as I said I played them all.  It had no trophies so it doesn't appear in my profile.  I can't tell you anything about its story either, for the same reason as all the others: I don't care about any of the stories.  So I'll take your word for that analysis.

 

That's an interesting point about the Leap of Faith, and it was useful in lots of other places besides synchronization points -- sometimes it helped stay undetected during a mission that required it (this concept doesn't exist in Odyssey or Origins) or a quick way to hide during a chase.  This also reminds me of objectives and concepts from the prior games that added variety, some of which worked while others didn't: all those climbing puzzles to reach the collectibles (some less obvious than others), parkour races, tower defense, interceptions, blending, factions, bounty targets, first-person challenges, offline fleet missions...  No game had everything but they all tried something new.  In Odyssey, I haven't yet encountered much that's vastly different from the others (including Origins) except the execution of the storyline.  And because all of the quests are so similar, there's no chance for variety unless you play a different game entirely.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, haljor said:

I did play the first one, as I said I played them all.  It had no trophies so it doesn't appear in my profile.  I can't tell you anything about its story either, for the same reason as all the others: I don't care about any of the stories.  So I'll take your word for that analysis.

 

I wouldn't think someone like you would play through the first game. I played the first game back in 2013 - 2014 even though it doesn't have a trophy list.

 

The first game arguably, above all the other games, did the most story wise. Much of the actual gameplay revolves around this storyline, you are ordered by your mentor to assassinate select targets in Damascus, Acre and Jerusalem. The side missions were to help collect intel, the entire game was basically a boring slog that was made up by it's strong storyline. 

 

But because nobody really cares about the storyline much anymore the stories in the recent games have been piss poor. The whole Assassin vs Templar conflict has been thrown around so casually it doesn't sound like anybody takes it seriously. That was the big selling point storywise, the series had an angle with conspiracy theories and actual history that hadn't been done before in games. Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood had these puzzles where you solved them to figure out what Subject 16 was trying to get across, with the help of Desmond Miles, Lucy Stillman, Shawn Hastings and Rebecca. I thought that was very interesting, but that has since been tossed out completely and we're left with a very lackluster storyline with decent gameplay.

 

1 hour ago, haljor said:

That's an interesting point about the Leap of Faith, and it was useful in lots of other places besides synchronization points -- sometimes it helped stay undetected during a mission that required it (this concept doesn't exist in Odyssey or Origins) or a quick way to hide during a chase.  This also reminds me of objectives and concepts from the prior games that added variety, some of which worked while others didn't: all those climbing puzzles to reach the collectibles (some less obvious than others), parkour races, tower defense, interceptions, blending, factions, bounty targets, first-person challenges, offline fleet missions...  No game had everything but they all tried something new.  In Odyssey, I haven't yet encountered much that's vastly different from the others (including Origins) except the execution of the storyline.  And because all of the quests are so similar, there's no chance for variety unless you play a different game entirely.

 

I personally think a lot of that has been tossed aside as well. In past and older Assassin Creed games there was more of an emphasis on stealth, blending in with surroundings, interceptions, factions you could easily tell from one another and parkour races.

 

As fun as Origins is at times it is extremely streamlined. Probably one of the easiest games I've played in the entire series. I don't consider streamlined to be always good. But anymore these days I think people in general want a more easy experience. Marvel's Spider-Man is one of the easiest AAA games I've played in a very long time, it's trophy list is nothing difficult whatsoever.

 

Not much to do with Assassins anymore as much as this series is to do with being a warrior, or spartan rather with Odyssey. Taking away a lot of the stealth and appeal the Assassins Creed series had in the early going, but as I just said it's probably because the masses want it to be overly easy.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Spaz said:

I wouldn't think someone like you would play through the first game. I played the first game back in 2013 - 2014 even though it doesn't have a trophy list.

The first AC game was released in 2007, several months before the PS3 had trophies.  I had already finished the game by then.  I was hoping trophies would be added later (as with Burnout Paradise), and I would have played it again.  But, no.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late response to this thread...

 

This game is amazing.

The fact that you can choose a male or female, dialogue options (even if it doesn't influence the story), customization, voice acting, quest originality, etc...

Well, it makes this game one of the best in the series.

Of course, not everyone will enjoy it for those reasons, but I believe that a true RPG, action, exploration, be my own person-someone, will love it. ^_^

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.