Sicho

Why do people hate this game so much?

294 posts in this topic

So, plenty of hate in this thread (and some B-sharpish meta conversation). Is there anyone who likes this game, and if so, what do you like about it? The Angry review looks bad, but is clearly motivated by pointing out the worst features.

Is there anyone who is trying to play this as an SP game, and enjoys the experience?

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

So, plenty of hate in this thread (and some B-sharpish meta conversation). Is there anyone who likes this game, and if so, what do you like about it? The Angry review looks bad, but is clearly motivated by pointing out the worst features.

Is there anyone who is trying to play this as an SP game, and enjoys the experience?

It's because Bethesda is a big company with a triple A budget. There should be no excuses for bringing out a game that is at the state at wich is at. Actually the last time i remember a game was this bad at release with a Triple a budget was assassins creed unity, it was so bad at release that ubisoft gave everyone who bought the game a free game and if you bought the season pass aswell they gave you 2 games. What did they do after that? They released syndicate and it was relatively dull and inspireless, they then took a year off and actually did something NEW and tweaked the engine aswell at the same time! What did Bethesda do with Fallout76 that is praiseworthy? Tell me one thing that would make this purchase of 65€ valid, i'm just asking for one thing.

What y'all people that are defending this blindly wont understand is;

We LOVE Bethesda, but the way they brought this game is disrespectfull and they should be ashamed of theirselfs of releasing this bugged out mess.

By not buying this are you giving a message that they should wake up and  actually (hopefully) take a year or two to make an actually decent game that is worthy of a Triple A game. By buying this, you're nothing more then a sheep that will eat whatever shit Bethesda is releasing. Now i'm done with this topic, all of y'all that play and defend this more power to you. 

But i'd prefer playing something more meaningfull (unless i'm being a statpadder 🤣) and actually worth my money.

Like what the fuck, WHERE THE FUCK IS THE IMMERSION IN THIS GAME FOR GODS SAKE!

I swear the first big dlc will bring out npcs and every bethesda fanboy/girl will scream; See Bethesda does care! 

/end rant

Because it's pointless, empty, dull and runs like ass. 15-20 fps on regular PS4, I couldn't finish one of the quests because the game was crashing three times in a row. How somebody can even defend this shit is mindblowing. I liked Aliens Colonial Marines but I fully understand that it's garbage, I'm not asking "why are you hating" and don't mention bandwagon and other bullshit.

i enjoy the game. The map is big enough that I've spent a few hours and barely gone anywhere due to all the locations in a small area. I like the holotapes, the voice acting seems good. The enemy variations are cool. There are things I wish could be better, like the shooting being more fluid (not Destiny level but ya know) but Fallout 4 made shooting a lot better compared to Fallout 3/NV.

I've played on a launch day PS4 and now a PS4 Pro, they run pretty much the same. 

It doesn't run flawlessly, but does any game not have bugs? Witcher 3 crashed a lot for me, the new Spiderman has crashed a handfull of times. 

Sometimes I play Fallout 76 with my fiance, sometimes I don't. I haven't had any griefers trying to kill me and actually haven't done any PvP. 

Edited by Daemynz

Played this over the weekend on a friend's Xbone while I was house-sitting for him.

He thinks it's "okay" and I dare say that's because he bought it digitally and can't return it.

I sadly found it to be complete garbage. I love Fallout. I love survival games. This was barely passable as either.

If you enjoy it, more power to you, I just could not ever bring myself to support this myself right now. "What game doesn't have bugs?"- few I'd imagine but this goes a good bit beyond that. I couldn't believe what I was seeing- constant pop in, disappearing enemies, disconnects etc. It's utterly inexcusable.

But nah wait what must be wrong with me, is it that "I can't wrap my head around it", "I was expecting it to be something it isn't" (yeah a good game) or am I just a "bandwagoner"? It doesn't matter, the game is utter pish though I hope for the brand's sake they work at making it better.

5 hours ago, Spider-Beyond said:

I used Red Dead Redemption as a example of what they should be doing. If Elder Scrolls VI or Fallout 5 comes I want those games to do just like Red Dead Redemption 2 and be a completely different game compared to the previous title.

what are you drinking? RDR2 isn't a completely different game at all to RDR1! Hell, even the map of RDR1 is in RDR2! :D And RDR 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games of all time, but saying that 2 is a different game than 1 is nonsense. RDR1 is a different game than Red Dead Revolver, that would be a true statement. But not RDR2 vs. RDR1. It's the same gameplay, same style, same quest structure (that most R* games have btw) and even a lot of the characters from RDR1 are starring in RDR2.

Also, I don't want an Elder Scrolls 6 or a Fallout 5 to be a "completely different game compared to the previous title"!!! I want Elder Scrolls 6 to be just one thing: MORE Elder Scrolls! And Fallout 5 just needs to be MORE Fallout! I want these games because I like the way they are, not because I want something different. If I want something different, I buy another game, but if I buy Elder Scrolls I want it to be fucking Elder Scrolls!

The only series I'm OK with having huge changes on a regular basis is Zelda... and even the Zelda games have a "DNA" that's always present and makes a Zelda game a Zelda game... even the spin-offs!

3 hours ago, Spider-Beyond said:

Why couldn't they at least make something completely different and better Instead of reusing Fallout 4 assets? my main Issue Is nothing has changed and the same Issues from Fallout 4 are still there.Fallout 4 came out 2015 right? Fallout 76 feels like Fallout 4.5 Multiplayer mod.

I don't get why it's a bad thing that it "feels like a mod / add-on / whatever". GTA Vice City felt like a mod to GTA 3 too... but no one was complaining about that, am I right? Because it meant: more GTA to enjoy!

Also, they used the time since Fallout 4 to ... drumroll ... WORK ON THEIR ENGINE!! Wow, now you are surprised, right? Because besides lightning and other graphical features, they implemented - amongst other things - Multiplayer capabilities and VR Support! But yeah, they are lazy, doing nothing, the engine doesn't evolve and blah blah ... lol

Have yet to see another VR game in the scale of Sykrim or Fallout 4 ...

EDIT: does anyone know why I get these numbers in the quotes all the time?

Edited by Sicho

1 hour ago, Sicho said:

what are you drinking? RDR2 isn't a completely different game at all to RDR1! Hell, even the map of RDR1 is in RDR2! :D And RDR 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games of all time, but saying that 2 is a different game than 1 is nonsense. RDR1 is a different game than Red Dead Revolver, that would be a true statement. But not RDR2 vs. RDR1. It's the same gameplay, same style, same quest structure (that most R* games have btw) and even a lot of the characters from RDR1 are starring in RDR2.

Mostly Water, thanks for asking. Well after playing It,I was suprised how Impressive the gameplay was compared to RDR1 and how different It was.Took some time to get used to the new controls, but overall I like the realistic gameplay along with movement/animations very Impressive how far they come.Sure at It's core It's RDR of course, but It Improved, and that's all I ask for.Feel free to agree or disagree.

1 hour ago, Sicho said:

I don't get why it's a bad thing that it "feels like a mod / add-on / whatever". GTA Vice City felt like a mod to GTA 3 too... but no one was complaining about that, am I right? Because it meant: more GTA to enjoy!

Also, they used the time since Fallout 4 to ... drumroll ... WORK ON THEIR ENGINE!! Wow, now you are surprised, right? 

It wasn't a bad thing as long as It was good.If Fallout 76 had Human NPCs with good quest and a great story with or without other players, but also Improved the Issues from Fallout 4.I would welcome the game and support It.

I bought this game for west Virginia apocalyptic landscape first, fallout second.  I haven't played that much of it, but the bugs I have come across haven't been that bad.  It does remind me of fallout 4, and I dont really think the graphics are all there either.  I believe they hyped this up to a degree that will be hard to actually live up to.  I do think that the game can grow in time though.

I do agree that this is another example of putting out a game that was not close to being released.  Beta should have been months ago, not a few weeks before launch.  That would have given time for bethesda to see the issues and then come up with a decision to fix it.  I also believe that they prob should not have sold this game for 60 dollars.  this is prob more like a 30 dollar game at best right now.  The main issue with it is that the bugs are literally 2 years old.  Not acceptable at all. especially when patched a long time ago by players and not bethesda.  

On the brighter side.  The lore is good and feel of apalachia is real.  I got hopes for this game.  Not a game I could play for hours at a time, but not the worst game I have ever played either.

Posting a youtuber's review or anyone else's opinion doesn't prove any points on either side. 

I will say I've put over 30+ hours into the game already and have barely touched most areas . Enjoying it lots. I'd still give it an 7 or 8.

On 11/19/2018 at 5:29 AM, Brenden said:

For whatever reason no matter how good the game is, people will hate it. People have just made an assumption and go with it. Happens a lot lately. I personally am excited to play it.

Thread could have ended here. Truer words have never been spoken. 

On 11/26/2018 at 9:37 AM, Bullstomp said:

That's his point, you aren't playing games because you think they are good. You're playing them to pad your plat count.

I love the Fallout series but felt this was going to be a dumpster fire based on what I read and saw. Sorry to see I was right but hopefully Bethesda learns from this.

Lol who am I kidding!🤣

Your right about them learning. But that wasnt his point, his was that its such a terrible game that you lose credibility in any situation. I enjoy fallout 76, but could it be better? Yea, of course. What game wouldnt be better if you really think about it, with minor changes?

the video i posted last time here got removed, but the guy reuploded it again. So here's the video for anyone who didn't see it.

6 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I like the game. I play solo most of the time. I like to explore West Virginia, the map is pretty good and interesting. I also like to scrap and build my base. I even enjoy the missions. This game does have some problems but I enjoy this game every time I start a new session. 

So first things first I honestly doubt anyones opinion on the game (whether good or bad) is really gonna be changed by this thread since we humans tend to stick stubbornly to our own opinions unless confronted with some SERIOUSLY SOLID argumentation skills (which I certainly don't posses btw :P ) from the opposite view point. Having said that I still thought I'd share my two cents on the matter even though I haven't actually played the game myself though I will say that I have played some of the earlier entries in the series and was initially excited for the game ... until the initial mp reveal and early gameplay footage but more on that ;) 

Oh yeah also :P

WARNING: The following is a Rant the size of small novel written by a guy who might not have any idea what he's really talking about. Proceed reading at your own risk.

So first things first. I very strongly believe (and I'd say most would agree with me on this) the game was off to a rough start from the very moment it was revealed it was gonna be mp focused. As I mentioned earlier this put me off personally to the game as I really don't have any gamer friends who is even remotely interested in the Fallout series but I myself ain't really the biggest fan of mp RPG's so this was gonna be a rough sell to me anyways. The internet or at least a very large portion of the Fallout fanbase seemed to share my sentiment on the matter as it seemed no one really ever asked for MP focused Fallout as the following outrage surrounding the subject seemed to indicate (kind of like with Diablo Immortal actually). Now I know, I know there's probably been a lot of talk about how awesome mp would be older games or the universe in general, but I personally believe when people might have brought this up in the past people were probably thinking about something more akin to: 

A. A Fallout game which you can play entirely co-op style perhaps resembling the style of Borderlands where the story might even slightly adjust to the amount of players present (NPC's speech could reflect multiple protagonist etc.)

B. A somewhat PVE/PVP multiplayer "free roam" game type that's separate from the main single player experience kind of like how R* has done their MP components for GTA and RDR.

Now if we ignore this whole "Nobody wants a MP Fallout game Tod REEEEEEEE" situation the game initially faced and assume people who weren't interested in this new Fallout game experience simply moved on, didn't buy the game and left the game, what were Fallout 76 next big issue? Well before we move onto what I think is REALLY killing the game at the moment I'll say this ... A presentation which I'd classy as underwhelming if not disappointing for a lot of people. Now to clarify when I say presentation I'm referring both to the games visuals (Engine) and gameplay. The visuals I should is pretty self explanatory. Although obviously a personal preference I'd say most people probably wouldn't say the games graphics are among the best out there anymore which is mostly because Bethesda is still using the same old engine they've been using since 2011. I would say this old beast was already showing its age back in 2015 when Fallout 4 came out and now ... well lets just say the game isn't really banking on being a visual marvel. 

As for the gameplay ... well obviously there's the whole the game is mp focused and as such is best enjoyed with a group of friends (even though it would seem playing solo is doable) but since we're assuming only the people actually interested in this should be left I'm not really gonna drag on that aspect. No instead I would say the reveal that the game would have pretty much no NPCs (yeah yeah I know robots ... sweet) outside of enemies to interact with probably wasn't a good decision on Bethesdas part either. A lot of the love for previous Fallout games was in due part   because of the often funny/wacky/crazy and interesting NPC's you'd run across which really helped the world building and story of the games. Fallout 76 "NPC's" would instead be made up of other players you would run across while exploring the wasteland ... and uhh .. yeah we all know online players are always fun to interact with .. right? .. *MIC BREATHING INTENSIFIES* 

Final point I'm gonna mention is probably also the biggest point of hatred for the game ... at least right now I would say it is. The Bug/glitch dumpster fire ... oh boy .. this ... this is bad. I mean there's always been all sorts of memes on the internet about Bethesda games and Bugs, but I would have to say that Bethesda has probably taken things a bit to far this time and people might just be getting sick of the same old joke. Apparently the amount of bugs in the game (at least at the time of writing) should be absolutely MASSIVE to the point where Bethesda actually had to release a statement informing/warning people of the state of game. On top of that people can't really rely on modders to fix the problems for Bethesda this time around as far as I'm aware since this an online game. 

In summary I whole heartedly believe Bethesda made things MUCH harder for themselves by deciding to move the series in a direction a very niche part of the Fallout fanbase was actually asking for which meant they from the very get go turned away a big portion of old fans and made even more vary of the game who then opted out of an initial purchase instead waiting things out to see whether or not the game could actually deliver on all of Tod Howards pretty promises. What then desperately needed to happen was Bethesda delivering an absolute Smash hit of a game to prove all the doubters wrong and show everyone that a MP Fallout game could indeed be ok. Well ... they didn't. At best they delivered an ok'ish MMORPG like game set in the Fallout universe with elements of the survival game genre. What most people see though is a game that resembles early access games on steam more so than a AAA game ready to be released for consoles. because it quite frankly is unbelievably unpolished at this state EVEN for a Bethesda game which quite frankly never should have been an excuse to begin with, but lets be fair it SORT of has until this point.  

If you're still reading this, good on you 😉 (not sure I would have myself actually sooo ... there's that)

I probably could have gone a little bit more in depth on certain areas like the gameplay but at this point I think I've written more than anyone actually cares to read so lets just call it quits. I probably got the my general message across anyways :) 

(Also sorry for any errors/ mistakes I may have made I just couldn't be bothered to read through the whole thing again)

Edited by Rune2303

All I'll say is I am glad I traded it in as fast as I did and got most of my money back worst full priced game I've played in years, it feel like one of those $5 survival games on steam that are perpetually in beta and never get a full release.

8 hours ago, benzopil said:

I liked Aliens Colonial Marines but I fully understand that it's garbage, I'm not asking "why are you hating" and don't mention bandwagon and other bullshit.

I agree completely with this haha, this exact game I put aside the hate and bought it on release cause I love the alien movies, and yes the game is terrible but I enjoyed it anyway. Everyone playing Fallout 76 and enjoying it, good for you, but you have to concede to the fact that despite you enjoying your time with it and it having promising mechanics and ideas, the game itself is objectively bad. 

There is a difference between enjoying a product for whatever reason be it personal preference or attachment etc. and the product being objectively good and worthy of AAA standards from a massive developer at this current time.

Lots of bugs but dont hate this game, always been a fan of Fallout series. I'm sure people played Fallout 3. 

On 11/27/2018 at 11:40 PM, Spider-Beyond said:

I might as well link this.

First good angry review I saw in a long time.

I pre-ordered this but haven't actually downloaded it yet, tried this game over thanksgiving weekend with my buddy with his PC just to see if the game was really that bad as the reviewers said... this game is indeed utter dumpster fire that doesn't deserve to be defended in any capacity. This game is a buggy, outdated, unoptimized mess, and... I don't even know where to begin really, this is far cry from even the most minimum standard that is required from an AAA developer.

Not to sound like one of those patronizing apologetic types but I sincerely apologize for supporting this broken mess out of blind franchise loyalty. I guess I am serving my punishment via the $60 that I could've spent on something much more worth while. If you want to ridicule and laugh at my decision to pre-order this heap of garbage then feel free to do so.

Edited by jaehyun1009
minor fixes

7 hours ago, jaehyun1009 said:

First good angry review I saw in a long time.

I pre-ordered this but haven't actually downloaded it yet, wanted to try this game with my buddy's PC... this game is utter dumpster fire that doesn't deserve to be defended in any capacity. This game is a buggy, outdated, unoptimized mess, and... I don't even know where to begin really, this is far cry from even the most minimum standard that is required from an AAA developer.

Not to sound like one of those patronizing apologetic types but I sincerely apologize for supporting this broken mess out of blind franchise loyalty. I guess I am serving my punishment via the $60 that I could've spent on something much more worth while. If you want to ridicule and laugh at my decision to pre-order this heap of garbage then feel free to do so.

At least now people won't give them a free pass. They have to try harder next time.

19 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

Played this over the weekend on a friend's Xbone while I was house-sitting for him.

He thinks it's "okay" and I dare say that's because he bought it digitally and can't return it.

I sadly found it to be complete garbage. I love Fallout. I love survival games. This was barely passable as either.

If you enjoy it, more power to you, I just could not ever bring myself to support this myself right now. "What game doesn't have bugs?"- few I'd imagine but this goes a good bit beyond that. I couldn't believe what I was seeing- constant pop in, disappearing enemies, disconnects etc. It's utterly inexcusable.

But nah wait what must be wrong with me, is it that "I can't wrap my head around it", "I was expecting it to be something it isn't" (yeah a good game) or am I just a "bandwagoner"? It doesn't matter, the game is utter pish though I hope for the brand's sake they work at making it better.

Stan! I'm sorry you returned from the beyond to play this, and think it's garbage. 

20 hours ago, Daemynz said:

i enjoy the game. The map is big enough that I've spent a few hours and barely gone anywhere due to all the locations in a small area. I like the holotapes, the voice acting seems good. The enemy variations are cool. There are things I wish could be better, like the shooting being more fluid (not Destiny level but ya know) but Fallout 4 made shooting a lot better compared to Fallout 3/NV.

I've played on a launch day PS4 and now a PS4 Pro, they run pretty much the same. 

It doesn't run flawlessly, but does any game not have bugs? Witcher 3 crashed a lot for me, the new Spiderman has crashed a handfull of times. 

Sometimes I play Fallout 76 with my fiance, sometimes I don't. I haven't had any griefers trying to kill me and actually haven't done any PvP. 

Thanks for the info. So much hate for this game (and probably much is deserved), but the din shouldn't completely crowd out those who like it.

Anyway, too much for my blood right now, but if I can get it on the cheap inexpensive, or at my library, I'll probably give it a go sometime. Who knows? It might work like a dream then.

15 hours ago, Calhoun_84 said:

I like the game. I play solo most of the time. I like to explore West Virginia, the map is pretty good and interesting. I also like to scrap and build my base. I even enjoy the missions. This game does have some problems but I enjoy this game every time I start a new session. 

Sorry - I missed your response on my first lookover. Thanks for the info! I think I'll wait, like I said, but I'll probably start it at some point down the line.

Edited by starcrunch061

well at least I started a thread that was popular 😂😂😂

Still, while there were many, many good explanations why some people might not like the game or might think it's shit, no one could get me a reason that warrants hatred in the form that's visible on the internet. 😝 I stand by my statement that it is "only a game" and that no one should be impacted emotionally with such negativity by an entertainment product. Those people need to "get a life".

Meanwhile, I'm still having fun with the game. Level 25 soon :)

Stan! I'm sorry you returned from the beyond to play this, and think it's garbage. 

It killed me again, it was that bad unfortunately.

40 minutes ago, Sicho said:

well at least I started a thread that was popular 1f602.png1f602.png1f602.png

Still, while there were many, many good explanations why some people might not like the game or might think it's shit, no one could get me a reason that warrants hatred in the form that's visible on the internet. 1f61d.png I stand by my statement that it is "only a game" and that no one should be impacted emotionally with such negativity by an entertainment product. Those people need to "get a life".

Meanwhile, I'm still having fun with the game. Level 25 soon :)

You are asking why people behave this way on the internet. There's plenty of study just pick the one your prefer.

"Trolling is most frequent late at night, and least frequent in the morning. Trolling also peaks on Monday, at the beginning of the work week. If a discussion begins with a “troll comment,” then it is twice as likely to be trolled by other participants later on, compared to a discussion that does not start with a troll comment. In fact, these troll comments can add up. The more troll comments in a discussion, the more likely that future participants will also troll the discussion. Altogether, these results show how the initial comments in a discussion set a strong, lasting precedent for later trolling."

This is from http://theconversation.com/our-experiments-taught-us-why-people-troll-72798

Personnaly I think its because of the perceived lack of consequences.