Prevent PS4 from auto syncing trophies

Baka_Marimo

I usually play games on a blank account if I want to test them first, but the one I want to play now is online-only. I played it for an hour or so on another account and I feel like I'm gonna like it. So I'm about to start playing it on my main account, however I still want to stay on the safe side and not sync my trophies before I complete it. Since I noticed my PS4 syncs trophies automatically from time to time I wonder is there is a way to avoid that? I never keep my PS4 in Rest Mode, so it can't have happened then (it wouldn't stay connected to the internet during that anyway since I unticked that box in the Power Save Settings some time ago).

Edited by GTRP_Lancerlover

PS4 trophies auto sync and there's nothing you can do about it, I think the trophies even sync before the trophy notification comes up since I've even pulled out the ethernet cable the moment a trophy has unlocked. If you're a completionist on PS4 you just need to immediately try to finish the game you're working on if it has online. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sergen said:

PS4 trophies auto sync and there's nothing you can do about it, I think the trophies even sync before the trophy notification comes up since I've even pulled out the ethernet cable the moment a trophy has unlocked. If you're a completionist on PS4 you just need to immediately try to finish the game you're working on if it has online. 

Vouch for this. I have a trophy tracker app on my phone and once I had the notification popping on my phone before popping on screen. I'm pretty sure this forced sync is what causes some trophies to pop without a trophy image in them. 

Example: 20181119110511841.png

I've literally never had this issue when playing disconnected from PSN.

Edited by TheYuriG
  • Like 2

Wow that sucks arse. Well, I guess my OCD will have to live with yet another incomplete game on my profile, since one of the trophies sits at a solid 0%: https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/7149-hex-card-clash

6 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

That's a good thing.

Yes, it normally is because it prevents you from losing any progress but for the minority of us weird-ass completionists it's actually really annoying ;)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

I'm pretty sure this forced sync is what causes some trophies to pop without a trophy image in them.

This is the main reason I play most of my games offline, that trophy image problem annoys me tremendously. ?

5 minutes ago, GTRP_Lancerlover said:

Yes, it normally is because it prevents you from losing any progress but for the minority of us weird-ass completionists it's actually really annoying ;)

You're not alone, I research every game I play before adding it to my main account, just so I don't get suck with some unobtainable trophy. xD

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GTRP_Lancerlover said:

Wow that sucks arse. Well, I guess my OCD will have to live with yet another incomplete game on my profile, since one of the trophies sits at a solid 0%: https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/7149-hex-card-clash

If you really care about your % that much, I would strongly advise to earn that trophy on an alt first through boosting (since the game seems so dead from the recent players list). Trophy might be glitched and be completely impossible, even though it has PSN Rarity of 0.1%.

10 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

If you really care about your % that much, I would strongly advise to earn that trophy on an alt first through boosting

That would be the sensible thing to do but according to my research it takes forever to win 100 matches and there's no way I'm gonna do that twice ? And this might be the reason why hardly anyone has actually got that trophy. Plus, there's the fact you'd have to build up your entire card collection from scratch when restarting. No. Just no ?

And by the way, I really like Magic (completed all the games on PS3) and this game is just like that. So I'm really gonna enjoy it ? Trophies sometimes make us forget what gaming is really about ;) 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GTRP_Lancerlover said:

That would be the sensible thing to do but according to my research it takes forever to win 100 matches and there's no way I'm gonna do that twice 1f648.png And this might be the reason why hardly anyone has actually got that trophy. Plus, there's the fact you'd have to build up your entire card collection from scratch when restarting. No. Just no 1f643.png

What TheYuriG was refering to is the fact that you can sync the trophies from your alternate account to your main account. Maybe you have noticed some profiles here who have 100% compeltion rate - thats their mighty tool to make this happen.

Edited by Bobble_DD

23 minutes ago, Bobble_DD said:

What TheYuriG was refering to is the fact that you can sync the trophies from your alternate account to your main account.

I have no idea what you're talking about. All I know is that you can attach trophies from a blank account to your main account which is not possible with this game because you have to be online at all time to play it. Is there another trick I don't know about?

36 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

If you are boosting the 100 matches, they shouldn't take very long. Might be even faster if you can just forfeit them. If the game is as dead as it looks, finding your partner online shouldn't be too hard.

There is cross platform play that you can't turn off. So if the game is dead on PS4, you will get paired up with PC players instead. And it's 100 ranked wins you have to boost, not just 100 matches :/

Unfortunately, it can not be disabled... Which sucks a lot...

Damn, the game actually looks interesting, really something like M:tG!

@GTRP_LancerloverAre you sure that "Win 100 ranked matches" isn't glitched? I find it rather suspicious that nobody has it since the game was released (~ 1 year).

Seems that even with boosting the game will be quite long. Some tips here (probably you know that already):

If you are after 100% I would rather pass on that title... (and play it for fun on alt. acc. :D)

Edited by Smashero
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bobble_DD said:

What TheYuriG was refering to is the fact that you can sync the trophies from your alternate account to your main account. Maybe you have noticed some profiles here who have 100% compeltion rate - thats their mighty tool to make this happen.

I wasn't saying that at all, I don't believe you can resync trophies that were already synced, at least I don't know a way to do that. What I know, and OP also does, is that you can play games on blank accounts and sync them when you finish, but that doesn't apply here, since this is an online-only game and requires a PSN ID assigned to play.

24 minutes ago, GTRP_Lancerlover said:

There is cross platform play that you can't turn off. So if the game is dead on PS4, you will get paired up with PC players instead. And it's 100 ranked wins you have to boost, not just 100 matches :/

Not a problem if PC is dead too, you might even be capable of selfboosting it depending if you got the game on PC and if you are patient enough to do it. Is there a ranked system in ranked where you can get "too good" and not find your alt anymore?

It's a funny thing, I remember this being a feature on Xbox for years and thinking how great it would be if the PS4 had it....now that we do, I don't like it. I got so used to my routine being that I manually synced my trophies when I was done playing, I became okay with that...and it turns out I prefer it that way.

But really, for me, it's not an instant thing. My trophies only seem to auto-sync if there was some point when there was no activity going in my game...either I was at the pause screen with the controller down for a certain period of time or at the XMB. I still manually sync regardless and there's times where I earned trophies HOURS prior to syncing and they all sync in that moment...but it's usually automatic.

1. Proxy your PS4 through your PC.

2. Watch network traffic as you earn a trophy.

3. Identify which network calls sync the trophies.

4. Block those network calls.

5. Earn another trophy on an alt account.

6. Unblock the network calls 

7. Verify you can sync the trophy.

8. Block those network calls.

9. Earn trophies online without fear of them syncing.

Obviously steps 5-8 are only needed by the first person who verifies this method works.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Milktastrophe said:

1. Proxy your PS4 through your PC.

2. Watch network traffic as you earn a trophy.

3. Identify which network calls sync the trophies.

4. Block those network calls.

5. Earn another trophy on an alt account.

6. Unblock the network calls 

7. Verify you can sync the trophy.

8. Block those network calls.

9. Earn trophies online without fear of them syncing.

Obviously steps 5-8 are only needed by the first person who verifies this method works.

Thanks but this isn't a big enough issue for me to go ahead and create a setup like that (not that I know how to do it anyway). But since you brought it up, have you tried it already and can confirm that it works? And how complicated is it to do?

I haven't regretted starting that game by the way. It's lots of fun if you like Magic and I earned 3 Ultra Rare trophies already :P

13 hours ago, GTRP_Lancerlover said:

Thanks but this isn't a big enough issue for me to go ahead and create a setup like that (not that I know how to do it anyway). But since you brought it up, have you tried it already and can confirm that it works? And how complicated is it to do?

I haven't regretted starting that game by the way. It's lots of fun if you like Magic and I earned 3 Ultra Rare trophies already :P

I haven't tried it, hence the few steps in there to actually verify you can still sync the trophies once you stop blocking the network. But in theory it should work.

I often find that disabling the internet connection in the settings, launching the game then activating the network connection after the game is launched as much as it can be stops trophies from auto syncing...at least it used to on both the PS3, PS4 and Vita but last time i did this was before the auto sync update a few months ago.

15 minutes ago, Testipoju said:

Hmm I haven't noticed trophies auto syncing. Or is it still normal for a trophy to sync with the percentage bar when going to the trophy list immanently after achieving them?

If you go into the Trophy Collection as soon a trophy has popped, then you will get the progress bar but leave it 30secs to a minute and the trophy will auto sync without you going anywhere near the Trophy Collection.