NekoRave

Playing the MMO for fun / Platinum

11 posts in this topic

Before I play this game I'm waiting for the next expansion to come out.

Granted theres tons of things to do and the DLC so far has absolutely no trophies.

Well I kinda wanted to start this game next year and had some questions before I really do.

To begin first most, I just would like to have fun and getting the platinum with the least sub money spent tbh. I heard the 1,000 missions or whatever will take the longest, but without making this a chore what would be the optimal way to go about this game?

Tons of things can be leveled up so should I get most the skills up to a certain point so its less grinding on said skill?

Also with the added dlc does it make the base game trophies any easier?

I own all the dlc so far and the game but I'm waiting for Viera and have been for awhile.

As far as job classes I kinda like bows, so ranger and I know there is physical DPS ranger and magic etc but I'm not really sure how to go about this game or if you can do both physical and magic ranging at once.

So now that thats out of the way, just going for the platinum how long should it take with all the dlc?

And having fun not rushing but playing daily how long should the main campaign/each dlc take?

As far as roles or weaponry is there any kinda ultra rare difficult to obtain equipment for being a ranger in dlc or main campaign? Like exclusive bows whatnot.

Also how much of the game can be done with two people? Me and my friend kinda like a challenge so it would be cool to know our limits since I dont want to be attempting things that would absolutely need more players. (If the game can be solo I'd prefer it tbh)

Figured I'd make a thread just discussing this game in general since I'll be on it frequently in 2019.

Also if any psnp members want to meet up down the line I heard there is going to be 8-24 player raids!

so anyone who just wants to play the game for fun post platinum, are you going to be attempting these raids, buying the new expansion etc?

That's certainly a lot of questions you have. I will try to answer them all one after another

24 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

To begin first most, I just would like to have fun and getting the platinum with the least sub money spent tbh. I heard the 1,000 missions or whatever will take the longest, but without making this a chore what would be the optimal way to go about this game?

The trophy guide on the site here answers that question quite good. You need to subscribe at least 6 months for the 1.000 levequests trophy. That's because you only get a few allowances every Earth day. So the amount you can do is limited. Also, you cap at 100 allowances. If you let it cap, you will have to spend more time to reach the 1.000.
A simple way one had found on the forum here to grind them out quite quick is, to start the Alchemist class. You can do that after the level 10 main quest missions and after you finished the level 10 class quest of your fighting class. If you don't start in Ul'Dah (which, if you're interested in the Archer you won't) you need to finish the level 15 main story quests to get access to the other cities. Now, once you'Re an alchemist and can do levequests, wait a few days so that you have some of them. Then either make a ton of simple health potions or buy them. You can then go to Horizon, where a Levemete will have an Alchemist levequest, where you need to deliver 3 health potions. The npc you have to deliver to is a few steps away from the starting point, so you can just run there, finish the quest and start it again. RInse and repeat. I was able to get 100 levequests done in about 45 minutes. Mindnumbing but easy if you watch a series while doing so.

30 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

Tons of things can be leveled up so should I get most the skills up to a certain point so its less grinding on said skill?

If you solely play for the platinum, there is not much you would have to focus on. Start a fighting class, you're interested in and try it out. If you don't like it, you can change classes once you finished your level 10 class quest. Find the class, you're comfortable fighting with and run the story with it.

The only specific classes, the platinum wants you to have are all crafters and all fieldcraft classes. But the platinum doesn't require a certain level of those. You only need to grind out 1.000 times harvesting with each fieldcraft and 1.000 times crafting with every crafter. Again, the guide on PSNP has good tips, how to go on about it. The simplest is to just get the materials for the simplest recipe and then craft it out with quick synthesis. That's mostly doing nothing and waiting until your character is finished so that he can grind anew. But you don't need certain skills to do any of it. Getting in to the what's and how's in detail is only important if you're interested in staying in the game for the long run. Having those classes can help, but only if you focus on end game content that lies way beyond the requirements of the platinum.

34 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

Also with the added dlc does it make the base game trophies any easier?

Yes and no. I think, the only trophy the dlcs made any easier is the one for the Binding Coil of Bahamut. That is because of the level sync system. Basically, all duties and raids (such as Bahamut) have a certain level cap. If you're above this level cap, you will be synced to this level. Bahamut used to be the hardest raid in the game because the maximum level you could have in the base game was 50 and the equipment you could farm to make it any bit easier would be for a level 50 class. Nowadays the level cap is at 70. With the new dlc it will be at 80. And you can farm a waaay better equipment in the end content of the latest dlc with a lot of better stats. Of course those will be synced to level 50 as well if you go into Bahamut but it will still be better than what you could have gotten without dlcs. So, I'm sure it will be easier if you spend some time after the dlc stories to farm equipment.

39 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

As far as job classes I kinda like bows, so ranger and I know there is physical DPS ranger and magic etc but I'm not really sure how to go about this game or if you can do both physical and magic ranging at once.

Okay, I'm more the healer type so I'm not that familiar with the DPS classes except the mages. There is an Archer class in the game that is a physical ranged DPS. Later on it becomes a Bard which still is physical ranged but can also buff and debuff due to their songs. How much of that is magic, I'm unsure about. However two of my friends play the Bard and it has different skills that are based on TP (which is the "mana" stuff for physical classes) and MP (which is the equivalent for the magical classes). I'm not sure how exactly that functions though and if it would make the Bard a kinda hyprid between physical and magical. However, they announced that they would change the whole TP/MP system with the new patch or the new expansion, so the Bard would certainly change with that and I don't know how much that will affect the general gameplay with him and how good he would be as a dps. They somehow always change the bard and it always makes him either op or useless af.

Other ranged classes however are the Machinist as physical one (however you can only start that class once you've reached the first expansion, Heavensward and then you still would have to level the machinist 20 levels up to be on par with the main story quests) and the mages Thaumaturge and Arcanist. Thaumaturge becomes the black mage. Arcanist can later become a Summoner (magical ranged DPS) or a Scholar (healer). You can level both Scholar and Summoner at once. So, if you play the Summoner and gain 5 levels, the Scholar will have gained them as well. So that would be your class in case you would ever want to be able to chose if you go as dps or as healer in later instances. Oh, and with lv 50 you can get the Red Mage which is kinda a magical ranged dps but at the same time a melee physical kinda dps. I have to admit, I never really understood that class.

With the new expansion there will probably a gunblade class but no one knows if it will be dps or tank or what else and it probably won't be a starting class to begin with.

46 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

So now that thats out of the way, just going for the platinum how long should it take with all the dlc?

And having fun not rushing but playing daily how long should the main campaign/each dlc take?

Honestly, I'm not sure. Going for the platinum will take 6 months either way. That is certainly enough time to finish the whole story of the base game and all expansions. So I wouldn't really worry. I know, I finished half of Heavensward and the whole of Stormblood in about three weeks playing every afternoon and the whole weekends. But I really didn't do anything but story and kinda rushed that. I can't really remember how much it took for the base game and all but I think it would be possible to finish the story in about a month. If you don't do anything else, possibly even less time.

49 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

As far as roles or weaponry is there any kinda ultra rare difficult to obtain equipment for being a ranger in dlc or main campaign? Like exclusive bows whatnot.

I wouldn't say there is anything that's ultra rare. You can grind everything. Most of the better stuff, you have to grind with the help of other people in high-level instances or you have to grind out certain end game currencies to buy and then level up that gear. But there isn't really anything missable. Most of the extravagant stuff is also just for the purpose of looking fancy and not for the stats anyway. And I don't think anything's really difficult to obtain. It can just take time. If you're playing as DPS it could even take a bit more time than any other class as DPS usually have way longer waiting times for instances then healers and tanks do. That's because there are a lot more dps classes and players than there are healer and tanks.

53 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

Also how much of the game can be done with two people? Me and my friend kinda like a challenge so it would be cool to know our limits since I dont want to be attempting things that would absolutely need more players. (If the game can be solo I'd prefer it tbh)

Well, to be honest, not so much. That's because every instance like dungeons and trials are at least 4-member-parties. The later trials (Heavensward upwards) are even 8-member-parties but dungeons stick to the 4-player-teams. You can team up with another player and run the main story together but for the dungeons you still have to wait to get two other people to join you. Most of the time it really isn't bad. Most people now what they are doing in dungeons and can even be helpful by explaining certain boss mechanics. So, yeah. Completely solo isn't working. 

I heard the new expansion should bring a new system where you can solo certain duties but you probably need to reach the expansion before you can make use of that function, so no pure solo running the story from the very beginning.

I hope, I was able to help somehow with your questions. I tend to give very long and detailed answers and I hope, they really did answer your questions. If not, just hit me up and ask again. I'm always willing to help people get into this game^^

@Lagoon Aris has provided some great answers.

I will give you something to consider. This is not a game for the  "platinum". Sure I have seen people get it in a month or two and if the cost of the subscription is a concern then it is definitely possible. The only somewhat hard trophy the Coil is very easy if you bring in over levered people and run a desync. Everything else is easy but a grind if you plan on doing it with only the base game and in a month or two. This will lead to the plat for sure but it is a nothing plat as you really have no idea what this game has to offer. 90% of the game is after the base story, probably even more now they have announced another expansion :)  

So if you are planning to play for fun (and pickup the plat without a hollow worthless grind and a meaningless plat ) I would recommend the following,

1. Plan on subscribing for a year (at least)  the base story, expansions, free updates and the additional quests will tally up to at least 400+ hrs (much more if you want)

2. Join a free company as soon as possible that plays in your timezone (get familiar with discord) you will need them especially if you plan on doing expansions

3. Dont rely on this site or trophy hunters for help, PC players rule this game they know everything and they are super nice. Seek them out. 

4. Buy a USB keyboard, typing on PS4 sucks and it is fun to converse with fellow PC players that can type 100 words a minute :)

5. Keep an instance raid always queued up, no one plays them getting 100 will take awhile.

6. Don't focus specifically on any trophies but do start doing the daily roulettes as soon as possible. 

4. Aim to do 20 leves a week, 20 fish a week and 20 tree logging (they are boring the whole way through) if you plan to play for a year that will see you through plat requirements. You will easily do more than that in a week but it is a manageable number that won't lead to mind numbering trophy chasing boredom

There is alot more but you will figure it out as you go. Feel free to add me on PSN if you like we probably play different times but happy to help out with info if needed. 

And if you do plan on playing the expansions just jump in and start now, the game is awesome. There is about 100 free missions before Heavenward then plenty to see you through to the start of Stormblood then more again after that. It just keeps getting better. 

Have fun. 

Edit : Almost forgot shoutout to Phoenix Rising on Kujata what what. Such an awesome FC. See you soon

Edited by Cjshai

Thank you both for responding.

I do plan to play this game after the platinum but not too religiously (for example 5-7 years whatnot) because I do have a huge backlog of games to attend to and need to jump to awful ESO eventually as I own all the dlc.

What I took from the trial was it would be a win/win (although a chore) to grind fish, logs, etc. As I assume its good to have those stats leveled up anyways.

If its better to go full sub right away then I would but are there any benefits of subbing right away and focusing on leveling or is it jumping the gun too early when you could have played for free and spent time on skill upgrading.

Like if I'm spending for example months skill upgrading anyways wouldn't it be best to do that free or no?

Also I was reading about mechanist class and scholar. So if I wanted to interchange both I can? Since theres tons of DPS in general being a scholar and a bow user would mean I can DPS/heal? Or is it like one or another. 

Also is there a pure debuff class yet? I really love debuffs and I think it could be helpful for a team if there was one.

I need to save up anyways for a years worth of a sub, is there any cheap year subscription I only saw 60 day trials when I looked.

Anyways the expansion kinda had me excited for the game since I bought it day one on the ps3 but kinda put it off because of the sub on top of the ps+ I pay for.

Also do archers get allowances I was reading above for alchemist but if I played archer/scholar is when would I be able to get them?

Just new to all this, last MMO I played was Maplestory/runescape in like 2005 lol

18 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

Thank you both for responding.

I do plan to play this game after the platinum but not too religiously (for example 5-7 years whatnot) because I do have a huge backlog of games to attend to and need to jump to awful ESO eventually as I own all the dlc.

What I took from the trial was it would be a win/win (although a chore) to grind fish, logs, etc. As I assume its good to have those stats leveled up anyways.

If its better to go full sub right away then I would but are there any benefits of subbing right away and focusing on leveling or is it jumping the gun too early when you could have played for free and spent time on skill upgrading.

Like if I'm spending for example months skill upgrading anyways wouldn't it be best to do that free or no?

Also I was reading about mechanist class and scholar. So if I wanted to interchange both I can? Since theres tons of DPS in general being a scholar and a bow user would mean I can DPS/heal? Or is it like one or another. 

Also is there a pure debuff class yet? I really love debuffs and I think it could be helpful for a team if there was one.

I need to save up anyways for a years worth of a sub, is there any cheap year subscription I only saw 60 day trials when I looked.

Anyways the expansion kinda had me excited for the game since I bought it day one on the ps3 but kinda put it off because of the sub on top of the ps+ I pay for.

Also do archers get allowances I was reading above for alchemist but if I played archer/scholar is when would I be able to get them?

Just new to all this, last MMO I played was Maplestory/runescape in like 2005 lol

Firstly thanks for this thread, I just popped the disc back in for the first time in a few weeks, will probably lose the next few hours lol, I love it so all good.

From reading your post it might be best just to take the trial, you can get to lvl 35 I think and have access to all the base game. Once you hit 35 it might be worth subbing I am not sure maybe others can help. As to what you will miss on the trial is not much. You can’t use the market board or have other players send you money or items but that won’t really matter. Maybe just do as much as you can on the free trial then upgrade. 

The problem you will run into is with the dlc, even at a manic pace you will need a few months to finish it I think. I know the subs seems a lot but if you break it down it is like 50cents a day or something, I am not sure what to advise I understand your backlog problem I have a few games as well but I think this is the sort of game you dip in and out of while doing other stuff, the community defitnely does. 

Mmm mmm I think do the trial if the game really takes you then you can go from there,

have fun 

14 minutes ago, Cjshai said:

Firstly thanks for this thread, I just popped the disc back in for the first time in a few weeks, will probably lose the next few hours lol, I love it so all good.

From reading your post it might be best just to take the trial, you can get to lvl 35 I think and have access to all the base game. Once you hit 35 it might be worth subbing I am not sure maybe others can help. As to what you will miss on the trial is not much. You can’t use the market board or have other players send you money or items but that won’t really matter. Maybe just do as much as you can on the free trial then upgrade. 

The problem you will run into is with the dlc, even at a manic pace you will need a few months to finish it I think. I know the subs seems a lot but if you break it down it is like 50cents a day or something, I am not sure what to advise I understand your backlog problem I have a few games as well but I think this is the sort of game you dip in and out of while doing other stuff, the community defitnely does. 

Mmm mmm I think do the trial if the game really takes you then you can go from there,

have fun 

I own 3,000 games atm so I have so many server shutdowns to worry about and campaigns etc.

What I might do is get a few people to run the trial with me and have those close friends pay for a sub for a year so we can play the dlc.

Definitely a game I want to fully experience, and knowing they make yearly expansions I probably realistically won't be done with this as long as they keep updating the game.

Depending on my enjoyment I might even forget my backlog all together until I'm just fully satisfied doing quests.

As long as its not mundane I can spare a year or two on a game I can fully enjoy.

Not many games these days offer that.

Off topic, since the game is heavily story based is there any OVAs or books etc that is a must buy/read beforehand?

Or does the game kinda have it all there lore wise?

I don’t think you need to know anything about the lore going in. I had only played FFXV before I started FFXIV and it seemed fine. Maybe there is stuff you might pickup on having played other FF games but it doesn’t matter. The story is sort of like a slow boil occasionally it bubbles up but mainly just simmers away offering bits of lore as you go. I would definitely recommend doing some research into the server you choose and find a group before you decide on server. Lots of Free companies have webpages and info just find one you like in your rough Timezone. 

I laughed at your little description on the bottom of your message. I do enjoy black humour. I wouldn’t worry about having 3000 games, it seems like a good starting point right 😀. You would be surprised how many of us are out there, just slowly acquiring ridiculously oversized game libraries and having a blast doing it. I am sure you will meet some, it’s great having a conversation about games with people that have played a little of everything, you tend to find it says a lot about their lives, they have done a little of everything too. Have fun, catch you around. 

FFXIV is a great Final Fantasy, the best since FFIX in my opinion, great story, great gameplay against primals, etc., but the 1000 fates will kill your fun with the game. I leveled one job from 1 to 50 only doing fates.

I really enjoy this game.  I played this at launch on pc, but just now got back into it with my newly ps4.  I got level 51 in a matter of 2 weeks doing nothing but story missions.  I am currently using all leve's and fates for all my side characters.  I find that a lot of players are all at end game content but its ok.  Solid player base is always good thing to have in these type of games.  I did grind the crafting achievements in about a week.  I do intend on spending time on them, just want to get my other classes up to snuff first.  lol.

On 20/11/2018 at 5:52 AM, Cjshai said:

@Lagoon Aris

I will give you something to consider. This is not a game for the  "platinum". Sure I have seen people get it in a month or two and if the cost of the subscription is a concern then it is definitely possible. Everything else is easy but a grind if you plan on doing it with only the base game and in a month or two. 

How???

I would love to get into this game for 6 months, but the cost is incredibly prohibitive.

20 hours ago, BeautifulTorment said:

How???

I would love to get into this game for 6 months, but the cost is incredibly prohibitive.

There are plenty of people on here that do it in a month or two using the trial then subscribing for a month or so.  I don’t know the best method perhaps one of them can comment.