Choose Your Game Of The Year!

unsalsrtprk

notable stuff for me would be Celeste, Frostpunk, Moonlighter, Octopath Traveler, Monster Hunter World, Fighting EX Layer, and Hitman 2

but we've all gotta show some love to the terrible/sub-par games that came out this year too. Metal Gear Survive, Dynasty Warriors 9, Sea of Thieves, Shaq Fu 2, The Quiet Man, and of course, Fallout 76

• Like 1

Shadow of the Colossus PS4

The original was one of my all-time favourites (up there with FFVIII and Mass 2) and this remake certainly didn't disappoint. That being said it's the only 2018 release I've played, the others I'm interested in but haven't gotten around to playing yet are Dragon Quest XI, Spider-Man and Valkyria Chronicles 4 along with a couple more from earlier in the year. Still Bluepoint did an amazing job, I'm interested to see what they'll be working on next.

• Like 1

Hmm, this is a really tough one. There were two games that came out this year which I absolutely fell in love with: Monster Hunter: World and Valkyria Chronicles 4.

If I have to pick just one, then I think Monster Hunter just about takes the win. It's a game I wasn't even anticipating - I bought it on a whim with a friend of mine. I look back on the first month or so of its release very fondly. I distinctly remember clocking over 100 hours in a short period of time, yet it felt more like 10. There are very few games I can say had the same effect on me. I still get the urge to go back and play it despite already having the platinum. :D

Valkyria Chronicles 4 on the other hand was a game I had high hopes for ever since it was first announced. The first game is one of my favourites and VC4 is no exception. It was such an emotional roller coaster - a lot of moments where I couldn't help but laughing out loud but also times where I really felt the characters pain and sorrow, even bringing me to the brink of tears myself. And to top it all off, the gameplay was excellent. It was such a great experience and I'm glad I invested in the collector's edition. :)

And screw it, I haven't played that many games at launch this year, so I'll just list my top 5 4 (the ones I feel are worth mentioning).

1. Monster Hunter: World
  2. Valkyria Chronicles 4
  3. Tetris Effect
  4. Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise

And just to be clear, I own Red Dead Redemption 2, but I've only dabbled in the multiplayer, so I don't feel that it would be right to put it on my list anywhere. It seems very good but I don't see myself liking it more than MHW or VC4.

I haven't played enough 2018 games to make a fully informed choice, but God of War (which reignited my love for gaming after borrowing a friend's PS4 to play and inspired me to get one myself) was incredible and Spider-man was also brilliant. 

Well, GOW won, and I glad it did. I am currently playing it, and I love it. But I have not played Spider-man, I plan to, I also own RDR2, since it came with my console, but I have yet to try the single player.

As for other games released this year, even if they were not nominated for goty, I need to mention Dead Cells, fantastic game, 1st rogue lite that I really enjoyed, and I tried plenty.

Overall this was an excellent year for video games, and I've still got so many of them left to play ?