The Win at Life trophy

Maahniac

I have an interest in shitty games, like I have an interest in shitty movies. So I'm quite interested in trying this one out. On the other hand, I don't want a game on my list that I'll never have a chance of 100%'ing, so the Win at Life trophy kind of keeps me away from it. I can see nobody has it yet. Is it simply because no one has attempted getting it, is it because the game is buggy, or is it because it's difficult to avoid getting hit? Is it possible to block hits, etc? I would like to hear about people's experience with the game's trophies. 

• Like 3

I try this trophy before I gave up.

The problem is sometime I not sure if I get hit or not because of camera angle.

And if you get hit I not sure if we can reload chapter select. 

And if you can you have to play that chapter from the start. 

In chapter 5 you have to fight a lot of enemies in small room and 3 bosses. It almost impossible for you to not getting hit. The worst thing? If you get hit and reload chapter 5 you have to watch a long cut scene that you can't skip again and again. 

I not got hit on every chapter except chapter 5. That when I gave up.

Edited by boonperm

Yea im interested in buying this but it feels very frustrating to me if i can never get 100% of the trophies in a game so i want to know why nobody seems to have the Win at Life trophy yet.

Is it because its extremely difficult or is it because its buggy or maybe its because few people care about this game?

Edited by CyberLance

It's a mix of every kind of problem..

-Combat is random and luck-based, can't really be at fault for when you are damaged most of the time. Practically no indication if you got hit during combat. Camera will get in the way constantly. Exiting focus mode attacks often place you different spots, leaving you in harm's way.

-Probably the biggest dealbreaker; Non-skippable cutscenes/cutaways on replay of these chapters. Most cutscenes are like 5-10 minutes long.

-No confirmation if you can even do chapters one by one... or if it has to be all in one go... the lack of anything in the chapter select being marked off suggests it has to be in one go.

-Very few people even getting the game thanks to two overreacting youtuber propaganda influencer assholes who judged the game without seeing the sound mode story, etc. It isn't the worst game of 2018. Some of the best graphics and detail and a good plot. I'd rather play this game a dozen more times than any of these spammed out pixel graphics indie fan made games, so that's saying something.

Something should be patched or else its just abusively impossible. Some ideas:

Allow cutscene/cutaway skipping once both playthroughs are cleared.

Place an icon or color change in the chapter select to indicate if we have 'no damage' on it.

Maybe have that Chapter 6 costume that has infinite focus mode, as an unlockable for use in all chapters.

Make a extra difficulty to die in one hit so we at least KNOW when it's void and should restart, instead of carrying on. Or another in-game way track it.

Nerf the trophy requirement altogether from not being hit, to just don't game over/die. Why not nerf it? the rest of the trophy list is a 3/10 difficulty while this odd one is 10/10.

Edited by QQQ_AX
  • Like 1

On 2018-12-06 at 7:47 AM, QQQ_AX said:

It's a mix of every kind of problem..

-Combat is random and luck-based, can't really be at fault for when you are damaged most of the time. Practically no indication if you got hit during combat. Camera will get in the way constantly. Exiting focus mode attacks often place you different spots, leaving you in harm's way.

-Probably the biggest dealbreaker; Non-skippable cutscenes/cutaways on replay of these chapters. Most cutscenes are like 5-10 minutes long.

-No confirmation if you can even do chapters one by one... or if it has to be all in one go... the lack of anything in the chapter select being marked off suggests it has to be in one go.

-Very few people even getting the game thanks to two overreacting youtuber propaganda influencer assholes who judged the game without seeing the sound mode story, etc. It isn't the worst game of 2018. Some of the best graphics and detail and a good plot. I'd rather play this game a dozen more times than any of these spammed out pixel graphics indie fan made games, so that's saying something.

Something should be patched or else its just abusively impossible. Some ideas:

Allow cutscene/cutaway skipping once both playthroughs are cleared.

Place an icon or color change in the chapter select to indicate if we have 'no damage' on it.

Maybe have that Chapter 6 costume that has infinite focus mode, as an unlockable for use in all chapters.

Make a extra difficulty to die in one hit so we at least KNOW when it's void and should restart, instead of carrying on. Or another in-game way track it.

Nerf the trophy requirement altogether from not being hit, to just don't game over/die. Why not nerf it? the rest of the trophy list is a 3/10 difficulty while this odd one is 10/10.

Thanks for the information.

Yea it seems like almost nobody that plays this game can unclock this trophy so i hope the developers will patch the game and make it easier to get soon.

Its annoying when i cant get a 100% on a game so i will wait and see if they patch it before i buy the game.

Even the extremely difficult Mein Lieben trophy on Wolfenstein 2 had a couple people that unlocked it fast after the game came out but not for this trophy.

Edited by CyberLance

On 12/15/2018 at 5:52 AM, CyberLance said:

Thanks for the information.

Yea it seems like almost nobody that plays this game can unclock this trophy so i hope the developers will patch the game and make it easier to get soon.

Its annoying when i cant get a 100% on a game so i will wait and see if they patch it before i buy the game.

Even the extremely difficult Mein Lieben trophy on Wolfenstein 2 had a couple people that unlocked it fast after the game came out but not for this trophy.

Yeah, that Mein Lieben trophy is a good comparison. It's similar to the abusiveness of this trophy. I don't think you can skip cutscenes in that either, lol. Seriously.. if there's going to be a trophy like this in these games, wouldn't they think of allowing cutscenes to be skipped??

Would be great if these completers could confirm if you have to restart the entire game after getting hit once, or if it's chapter-by-chapter

Edited by QQQ_AX
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

This game has been out for a long time now so is nobody ever gonna find out the best way to get the Win At Life trophy?

Even with unpopular games like this people usually find out how to get all the trophies and creates trophy guides for them not that long after the games get released.

I heard that you can quit to the PS4 menu and restart the chapter your on if you think that you have been hit so i have been playing the game from start to finish doing that trying to get the trophy 2 times now but im often not sure if i have been hit or not and pressing x to avoid attacks sometimes does not seem to work.

Would be very nice if there could be information and help on the internet about how to get the trophy the best and easiest way.

Edited by CyberLance

• 2 months later...

The problem with this game is the combat is complete utter shit, with Wolfy 2 it's technically a good game, just requires skill patience and a slight bit of luck. Quiet Man is all luck cos half the combos and combat movesets don't work.

• 1 year later...

From what i can see here on PSN at least, only 3 people have done it.

I'm currently on the last chapter, and am pretty sure i haven't been hit yet.

This game is a buggy, broken hot piece of garbage, and i pray to god that i haven't been hit yet, because the game gives you little to no indication when you have.

I've been streaming myself playing it, so when i eventually do it (if ever) i will upload my footage to youtube.

Just be prepared for a lot of swearing and screaming.

Dodges barely ever work

When you do manage, counters do or don't work depending on how the game is feeling that day.

I've had moments when the game does a flash back after you down a guy, and it forgets to take Dane out of flashback slow mode, but all the enemies carry on at normal pace.

Chapter 3 (the one where you start the chapter getting off a subway train) sometimes refuses to load

You get stuck on downed bodies

Sometimes i've been holding run, and instead Dane powerwalks

Invisible walls

God awful camera

People coming out of walls instead of doors

I teleport

Enemies teleport

Bosses teleport

Babcocks 'tell' is when he adjusts his tie, game doesn't feel like putting that in his moveset today, you can't do this boss fight without it

If Isaac stands up after you down him, occaisionally him getting up within your vicinity counts as him hitting you

Isaac glitches out of his charge attack unless you're in his direct line of sight, but only sometimems

You need to dodge Taye to counter him, it's the only way to hit him, counters not working right now? Just cross your fingers and hope for the best!

No real targetting system

No block button IN A BRAWLER!

Grabbing enemies? Don't even try it.

Getting punched during cutscenes

Getting punched during focus mode

No 'quit to main menu' button

If Human Head studios wanted to make a film, they should have done just that rather than tacking on one of the most god awful gameplay aspects to any game i've played in recent memory.

Back to streaming  :/

• 2 months later...
On 19/04/2020 at 9:13 AM, Snokes said:

As the only person in North America to have gotten this trophy apparently, my one piece of advice is to just not even bother. If you're like me and you hate yourself, go for it, but unless you're some sort of masochist, there is no joy to be had with this. It's not even hard, just bullshit. You can have the entire game down to a science, but through glitches or bad design, it'll still screw you over if it feels like it. Add in unskippable cutscenes that take up just as much time, if not more, as the game itself, and you're in for a bad time. I would call it the worst experience I've ever had in trophy hunting, but it's unfortunately got competition.

With all that said, there are ways to cheese through the game. It becomes damn near trivial to get through most fights unharmed once you realize like half of the game's mechanics are entirely useless, and then juggle and loop around enemies like a cheap bastard spamming the same combo over and over again.

After many many attempts, i realised my folley too late.

Apparently the trophy doesn't pop if you're playing the game with sound........

So here was me thinking it might be easier if i can hear the enemies coming, so played it on the sound on version.

Turns out if you do that it nullifies the trophy altogether   >.<

Words cannot express the anger i felt after realising that.

I think i'm just going to consider it a lost cause like She Wants Me Dead or Black Knight Sword

I'll probably go back to those games at SOME point in my life, when i have the time and patience for it   xD

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

Apparently the trophy doesn't pop if you're playing the game with sound........

Oof, really sorry to hear that. Saw some people mention that when I was looking up some info for the game, so I always played without sound.

If there's any extra advice I could leave to anyone interested in going for the trophy, just delete your save data every time you restart. Saw some conflicting info on whether or not using chapter select to start from the beginning disqualifies you for the trophy, so you may as well not take the risk. I don't see why it would, but this is The Quiet Man after all. Would be nice if someone could confirm that, but it really ain't worth anyone's time doing so.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It seems some of you have made it! There are now four achievers. When this topic started, there was only one. I can just imagine these players going through hell to get this. The Jim Sterling review on YouTube is one of his best angry reviews. 

Edited by macwade_99

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK guys I finally got the trophy! 42 hours for this freaking 100%

And good news: you do not have to do it in one sitting/from scratch!

I can confirm the save back-up and restore method works.

At the beginning of each chapter, the game performs an autosave (even when you go back to it after quitting). So all you have to do is:

1. If you do not remember when a chapter starts, use chapter select and make a screenshot of the first images of each chapter so you can refer to it in case you forgot.
  2. You can start your new game from chapter select as long as you play in deaf mode (you do not need to delete all your save data).
  3. When you finish a chapter successfully (i.e., without being hit) wait until the beginning of the next chapter for the autosave, then quit the game to back up the save on a USB drive or the PS+ (deactivate auto upload in this case).
  4. During a chapter, if you fail, quit the game and restore your save from your USB drive / PS+.
  5. When running the game use the Play button (not chapter select) to resume from where you left.

This makes the trophy not less painful but much more reachable!

Edited by Migaellou
  • Like 4