hdr vs hdr-compatible tv's?

melodicmizery

so right now i have a 50 inch plasma, and reg ps4 but i kind of feel like spoiling myself

im looking at 75 inch tvs, and they all say "hdr compatible" which from what i research means it carries the signal but doesnt really put that same quality out as just hdr

but everything ive looked at around $1,000 is only hdr compatible, i dont see anything thats just hdr

is the compatible version really that much of a difference? or is it more so for people who reallllly like the best they can get out of a product and are somewhat picky. i mean i grew up on 19 inch tube tvs as a kid so im really not picky at all. and of course im going to work on getting a ps4 pro to go with the tv soon as well

so basically my main question is, is the hdr-compatible really that much of a difference compared to hdr when it comes to gaming? and how about just the tv (which i barely watch anyways)

as a extra question im going to get ps vr as well, does 4k and hdr or hdr compatable really make much of a difference with the vr headset? does the ps4 pro look any better with ps vr?

Found an article. I still feel mind boggling after looking thru it. 

https://www.avhub.com.au/news/sound-image/what-does-hdr-compatible-mean-461032

One thing I made up my mind if Im getting a new TV though is NOT to get a hdr compatible and go for just HDR. It's 2018, everything should just be HDR and come out cheap, no need for false compatible units.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

Related to VR I have no idea about big difference between upscaled hdr and native HDR.

Now, the thing between hdr compatible and the native one.

If we would be in 2017 I'd say with exception of High end models there's no much difference.

But those differences are bigger every year.

I bought a Samsung 7 Series around 1 year ago, it has native but basic hdr, hdr10. Decent image

Now if you look for affordable models this year, you'll find Hdr+, hybrid engine, Gamma etc. Then if you go for Elite models like Quantum you'll get even more options to improve the image.

About the size, hmm, it's very complex, mine is 49 inches so any inconsistent is barely visible, but in the case of big mama sizes like yours is a bigger headache, for that size you really need a Native Hdr even if it's not a $2k to actually enjoy HDR. Check the black levels characteristic. It's very important

Check TLC brand, for what I've in forums, many American trust in that brand for affordable 4k HDR.

Edited by GoldenShaka

• 1 month later...

I hasve a pro 4k HRD and Vr so will give you some advice

You really need a pro to get the best out of vr. The frame rates are better and the games look better. HDR doesnt work with VR.

At your price point for a tv Your better off focusing on Just 4k Your HDR will be entry level at best , i started out with a really cheap 4k HDR T.V it made games look worse with it turned on. I have a better 4k HDR t.v now.  i have a 49 inch was about 700$ and even then the HDR isn't anything mind blowing.just makes games look a bit more realistic with it turned on. I really cant see you getting a good HDR experience  at the size you want  Unless your willing to spend closer to 2000$ as the other poster said.

So my advice would be Get a pro its a big upgrade and makes games look better even at 1080p  :) The pro has a s thing called super sampling. mode. Also get V.R its pretty special and will blow you away :)

T.V wise focus just focus on 4K low in put lag and General picture quality. To get the best out of HDR its a really big jump in price.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Saaad___Pandaaa
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Saaad___Pandaaa said:

I hasve a pro 4k HRD and Vr so will give you some advice

You really need a pro to get the best out of vr. The frame rates are better and the games look better. HDR doesnt work with VR.

At your price point for a tv Your better off focusing on Just 4k Your HDR will be entry level at best , i started out with a really cheap 4k HDR T.V it made games look worse with it turned on. I have a better 4k HDR t.v now.  i have a 49 inch was about 700$ and even then the HDR isn't anything mind blowing.just makes games look a bit more realistic with it turned on. I really cant see you getting a good HDR experience  at the size you want  Unless your willing to spend closer to 2000$ as the other poster said.

So my advice would be Get a pro its a big upgrade and makes games look better even at 1080p  :) The pro has a s thing called super sampling. mode. Also get V.R its pretty special and will blow you away :)

T.V wise focus just focus on 4K low in put lag and General picture quality. To get the best out of HDR its a really big jump in price.

Hope that helps.

hey thanks everyone

i ended up buying playstation vr and a $1,000 75 inch hisense tv thats hdr compatible

i think im going to spend a little more and get the ps4 pro like you said because i already have all the elements, and my niece got me just cause 4 and battlefield 5 which are both ps4 pro enabled. 

the ps vr is amazing, i didnt think it would be as good as it is. but it does make me quite sick and mess with my head. i had done years of research on 3d since the sega era, but 3d had never bothered me. i think due to me being age 37 this new 3d boggles my brain a bit. but its totally worth it. but man that thing manipulates our brains so much i dont know how they can advance vr anymore then that i just dont think the human body can handle it lol.

when looking at other tvs after my first post i realized everything was hdr-compatible in the 1k price range when i looked at the fine print every tv said hdr-compatible, so i narrowed my search and found the true hdr tvs were all 4k-5k dollars. and with how fast tvs outdate im no willing to spend that much. heck i even told myself before i would never spend 1k on a tv. but i figured you only live once

i do enjoy it alot. i put my 2 50 inch tvs in both my bedrooms. for a change of scenary i changed rooms to play a few times. afte rplaying games on a 75 inch, 50 inch seems teeny tiny. 

one bogus thing was they didnt send me the legs for my tv, and its been hell trying to get them. the tv weighs 100 pounds so luckily my entertainment stand had a mount in the back already.

i played red dead redemption half on my 50 inch non 4k, and the other half on the hdrcompatible 75 inch 4k and it did seem like a bigger difference. i imagine with ps4 pro it would of been even more amazing. the only problem i had was with the snow in that game, when the board got to bright or i looked in the sky it flickered. that could of been the game or my tv settings though.

so yah hdr-compatible i went with, and it actually shows old shows on tv pretty good.