Insane without reloading

rockstarjazz

edit: i used this guy's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu1s2iI0vH0&t=157s

difficulty parts identified (with notes):

23.18 stealth and patience

26.10 pitch black (bend left, crawl) - NO CAM (hard)
27.05 pitch black (wiggle forward) - no cam (hard)
34.10 childrens bed - attract, stairs, round (practise)
38.55 the cart and marta - rounding (practise)
1.12.45 the arrow chase
1.18.15 running after getting rope (avoid arrows)
1.39.50 pitch black (short distance, round left to door at end)
1.43.20 USE CAM if needed to find that gap on right when running (practise)
1.45.30 library (practise) map: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=948191898 (practise) CAM NEEDED
1.58.10 run back to door, lock, go through narrow, slow, run. SOME CAM
2.00.20 pitch black (practise) MUST HAVE SOME BATTERY HERE
2.04.20 two switches (practise) MUST HAVE BATERY
2.07.00 crawl chase with val (practise) MUST HAVE BATTERY
2.16.25 running out of mine MUST HAVE BATTERY at least for initial part

Edited by rockstarjazz
  • Like 1

i started playing insane without batteries today after practising chapters on nightmare. i've died 9 times already. what a complete waste of a day. thats one games i dont like about games - you do stuff to end up with nothing at the end thereby wasting your time. points ofdeath so far:

1.  man outside door after first marta meeting at start
2.  marta's cart - misjumped
3.  fall of simmying mountain during knoth's speech
4.  school dorm - didnt push cabinet enough
5.  arrowed down after beams (2nd shot) - furthest thus far
6.  failed jump in heretic temple
7.  failed jump in heretic temple
8.  grabbed by nick and laird in their intro
9.  paniced at the phone turn

FFS, 16 attempts now and i still havent even got past the lake!!! some of the jumps i failed to do, i always get nervous because those depend on chance. jump too early you miss, jump too late and you fall. so when it a good come to jump? also it seems the section with marta and the carts makes marta randomly appear, you dont know where shes going to be.

10. failed jump to rope section
11. marta hook section
12. fell of cliff at start
13. failed jump at lake
14. marta's cart - caught
15. marta's cart - caught
16. arrowed underwater

Edited by rockstarjazz

It took me a few tries indeed. I would say, the nerves/stress are your enemy here, once you've memorized the paths and timing, the only thing that will stand in your way are moments where you are tense or worried. If you can push through that, you'll have no problem. It's not for everyone, I just loved the game and setting. But if you are unhappy and especially if you are out sick, playing something as intense as this might make you feel worse.

3 hours ago, UlvenFenrir said:

If you really want the platinum, stick with it and continue practicing

thats exactly my reason for carrying on and wanting to succeed. i'm a plat collector.

i think i'm going to call it a day for trying today. i havent even passed the lake yet which is a joke. maybe i should just keep playing on nightmare mode until i find i dont die on it at all when doing runs? i always think i know i can do this but all the fkn time theres something that stops me from doing it, like the two more below upon trying again just now. i was grabbed when hiding behind the tree which is not fair!

17. fell off bridge
18. grabbed by nick and laird in their intro

they have to patch this because its just not possible to do

1 hour ago, rockstarjazz said:

thats exactly my reason for carrying on and wanting to succeed. i'm a plat collector.

i think i'm going to call it a day for trying today. i havent even passed the lake yet which is a joke. maybe i should just keep playing on nightmare mode until i find i dont die on it at all when doing runs? i always think i know i can do this but all the fkn time theres something that stops me from doing it, like the two more below upon trying again just now. i was grabbed when hiding behind the tree which is not fair!

17. fell off bridge
18. grabbed by nick and laird in their intro

they have to patch this because its just not possible to do

It is possible but theres several areas that relies more on luck than anything. Like you mentioned with martha, sometimes she appears at the cart other times not. When that happens you need a plan B and improvise if plan A fails.

say she appears somewhere that youre not used to, then you need to find out how to get rid of her without her grabbing you. One way is to exploit her by crawling back through the hole in the fence and she will try to run around, nows your chance to go back out, push the cart further and pray the rng gods are with you.

you need to practice situations like that over and over and over till the odds of surviving is in your favor. Just keep trying dude. Youll get there... every tiny bit of progress no matter how small is NOT time wasted. I cant stress that enough.

some of the harder platinums ive done, sometimes i felt like i never made any progress at all but that doesnt mean youre not making progress. Take a break, come back to it refreshed and try again.

Turn the brightness and contrast up on your TV up as high as possible, and just practice the fuck outta Nighmare mode some more ?

Also I don’t recommend doing multiple runs each day cuz it will just piss you off.

I just did one run each day until I had completed it.

Took me about a week once I started attempting it.

10 hours ago, rockstarjazz said:

thanks for the replies. i tried one more time before going to bed and alas...

19. marta's cart - caught

thats 10 attempts i did today. 9 yesterday. i've been off sick from work but feel i wasted my entire two days on this as this was solely what i been doing. its jaded me and burning me out. i'm so sick of doing the earlier stuff over and over until the cart section where things can go wrong at anytime - be it getting caught by marta, failing a jump, falling off the balance beam, getting arrowed by nick and laird. brightness isnt an issue - i got gamma, tv contrast, brightness, colour, and backlight to max so i can see more, even in the pitch black corridors.

i've hardly seen my family these past two days because of this insane messiah trophy obsession. my boss said i can have the week off to recover so i got another free day to try again. i have watched so many youtube walkthroughs on this difficulty and they all make it look so easy. and having played nightmare a few times i KNOW i can do it - though i admit i never completed nightmare once without dying.

i have this mentality whereby i cant move on from a game until i have platted it. that may have to change soon. my stubbornness from being defeated is holding me hostage it seems.

i doubt if the developers even tested this.

i am so jaded and sad for some reason, like the game makes me feel i'm not good enough :( my 4 year platinum streak is likely to come to an end because of this game.

Sounds to me like your burning yourself out. Trust me. Its much better to just do the odd run here and there until you have success. I think that obsessing over it for hours on end is only gonna trigger you.

Nearly all of my rare trophies were earned with that casual attitude in mind.

Take a step back and observe some videos. I will share mine with you.

Everything in this run I did making it as easy as possible. I don't think I use the battery once in the first three chapters at all. As stated before by KaKrackle, turn your brightness up, although it won't help in certain sections. I taught myself useful tricks to navigate myself in the dark. Stuff like looking up at the sky and following the empty space between mountains, or positioning myself toward a wall, then move a certain direction until I can't anymore to then move straight ahead and make it out. These are the things I primarily practised first just to save battery as you will need it.

I had the game glitch out on me twice when almost at the end. Once in the chapter with the bloodrain where the character was supposed to walk on a ledge automatically but slipped off for no good reason and once in the mines where I crawled into a space where I needed to call only for my chacter to fall through the floor and the game to reset.
Sections I advise you practise:

1. Martha cart
2. Getting chased by bowdude after getting out of a school section (the whole thing)
3. After getting the rope from the dead body to transition into the Lake chapterr
4. Library

5. Mines before the cart section with the guy chasing you

6. Final encounter with Martha because even though easy, you don't want to fuck that one up

There is also a very useful video by PS4trophies (or something like that) where he does a great job explaining how enemy behaviour works, he also has an update one for after the patch. You shouldn't be dying by getting arrowed under water for example. You hide till you see bubbles come out of you twice I believe and you can see his flashlight move away into the distance. All of this game is scripted and can be bypassed as such, you just need to be aware and keep your cool.

Edited by Starlove-

thanks. what about jumping ledges? i seem to get nervous with those, regardless where they are.

i am considering going back to nightmare to practise sections again. i died for the 20th time on insane on the cart section again.

i also notice i tend to use about 3-4 bars of battery at the end, mainly with the val crawl chase, walking through the waters after and the ladders if i fall there and need to go back

24. marta hook section
25** toilets

dammit i was doing so well in my latest run. everything was going right and when i got to the lake i had youtube guides with me to give me the heads up. but i panicked when running to the school toilets. i was near the door and turned too early, didnt entered the door but hit the wall before that, i lost my bearings and by the time i turned around it was too late! :( i was growing in confidence and panicked again

Edited by rockstarjazz

26. grabbed by nick and laird in their intro
27. grabbed by nick and laird in their intro
28. COMPLETED! I DONE IT!!

omg my last run everything went right and i tried to not panic by taking breaks. anyone else going for this trophy i suggest lots of practise on the difficult areas in nightmare, do some complete runs on nightmare and when trying insane, expect to not pass first time but build experience along the way and use youtube videos to guide you (use the 'rebalanced 1.03' guide by ps4trophies and any others you can find). and take breaks when it gets nervewracking!

yay! now i'm going to detox for awhile and then next week will get started on outlast 1 - hopefully the insane for that one isnt as bad as this one!

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If anyone is still having issues with this trophy, I have recorded my own full playthrough.

Here are some pointers which are essential to completing this game on the highest difficulty without any additional batteries:

• Conserve most of your battery for chapter 5 in the mines. You'll need it. As long as you have at least 50% battery power left when you descend into the mineshaft, you should have nothing to fear.
  • Use in-game light sources to navigate most of the environments, to conserve your battery optimally. This is related to the previous pointer.
  • Use your microphone to locate enemies in times of uncertainty. This was a lot harder in the pre-patch versions where the difficulty was still significantly higher and your microphone drained your battery too, but in this case: exploit that microphone whenever you want to. It could end up being your saving grace.
  • Conserve stamina for the right moments. It seems tempting to rush through every environment non-stop, but Blake will need to catch his breath often. And if you end up exhausted at the start of a chase sequence, chances are huge you will not survive. Conserving stamina is the difference between life or death.
  • Know the game inside and out. Practice sections on Nightmare difficulty first. This is pretty self-explanatory: having full knowledge of what comes next and how to deal with the situation at hand is key and helps to anticipate and plan ahead.
  • Keep collecting bandages. In some cases a regular NPC (or if you're very lucky like I was, a main antagonist), could hit you and you'll survive but you'll be wounded, meaning you'll be slower and in mortal peril. Make sure you keep collecting bandages in case you end up in a similar situation.
  • Stay calm, and keep a level head. Perhaps the biggest tip of them all, and an ostensibly stupid one, but nevertheless one that could save your entire run. Outlast 2 has a fantastic horror atmosphere, with impeccable audio design, meaning you could end up panicking during certain parts or when something doesn't go according to plan. Stay calm, remember where you need to go, and handle accordingly.

Good luck!

• Like 4

One thing I can advise you all:Don't panic.Seriously.It's an incredibly stressful experience and you will need to practice the game A LOT,there is no room for errors whatsoever.

I died 18 times(yes,I'm not joking.The Scalled and then the finale in the Mines,these gave me a heap of trouble).

But I managed to pull it off on my 19th attempt.Refer to YouTube guides for some strategies,they do help.Aponac1987,that's a great guide man.

If you need to look at some more guides to see how others did it, I'd say watch the speedruns by ifreemz or PersNikity.

But also chapter select the sections which give you trouble.Practice them 10 times until you're able to do it successfully each time.

I wanted to give up so bad,it was such an agony to play through the game so many times,watching the unskippable cutscenes over and over again.Now,it's my proudest platinum trophy.

If I managed to pull it off,you can definitely do it! Don't give up. ?

Edited by iamrb2212
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 17-3-2019 at 4:32 PM, iamrb2212 said:

Aponac1987,that's a great guide man.

Thanks for the compliment! I figured I'd record my own run while I was mopping up the last trophies. Funny thing: I got it on my third try, and that's after attempting it twice (second run was a success) on my brother's account as well. All in about twelve hours.

i'm not going to be doing the Insane run (with or without one battery) anytime again soon, that's for sure! :D

From my own experience I can say YouTube can help you alot. I watched like 2-3 different videos from the Insane run with commentary. These guys helped me out. The Marta cart part was absolutely the hardest part for me, It's somewhat randomized what she's doing there. I was so nervous haha, but really rewarding at the end ?

I recommend watching the newer vids, because of the patches the game had

3 minutes ago, Phrema said:

Glitches prevent the rarity percentage from breaking out. Only the selected elite players are worthy of the "Omnipotent" title.

I was not aware that there are any glitches.

But I do agree that those players are not worthy of the platinum trophy, although that can be applied to any game which requires skill and effort.

• Like 1