Insane without reloading

rockstarjazz

• 3 weeks later...

Completed my run on Insane without reloading the camera in like 20 attempts. My mistake was that I didn't practice the run on the Nightmare difficulty. It would have saved me a lot of time. Insane isn't difficult when you know where and when to run. Practice and patience will make it easy.

• 2 weeks later...

attempted my 1st Messiah run today, got about 70% thru before i had a weird death

first, here's a funny moment shortly before i died... i accidentally ran straight into the demon :blink:

https://youtu.be/Y8l3e4yWmmg?t=6994

and here's my death, during the CH 4 chase that gets triggered when you enter the crawl space. ran outta stamina for some reason

https://youtu.be/Y8l3e4yWmmg?t=7472

Ugh, I hate this trophy. I haven't attempted in a while, but I'm at least on 15 attempts. The thing is, I don't really screw up. I do exactly what is done in the YouTube video, and sometimes it works, but most times it doesn't. I've died so many times at the section where Nick and Laird fires an arrow through the shed, and I have to run through the forest. I get to the cabin on the other side of the forest, like I'm supposed to, and as soon as Nick and Laird knocks the door down, I jump out the window, get to the ledge, make a sidestep or two out onto the ledge, and then BAM... instant death from an arrow. There's absolutely no difference in how I play the section, when I have a successful run versus when I have an unsuccessful run. It feels random. 

And the few times I made it through this section, I got killed in the area where I have to retrieve a rope, because a maniac is suddenly in a different position than usual :'( 

1 minute ago, Maahniac said:

Ugh, I hate this trophy. I haven't attempted in a while, but I'm at least on 15 attempts. The thing is, I don't really screw up. I do exactly what is done in the YouTube video, and sometimes it works, but most times it doesn't. I've died so many times at the section where Nick and Laird fires an arrow through the shed, and I have to run through the forest. I get to the cabin on the other side of the forest, like I'm supposed to, and as soon as Nick and Laird knocks the door down, I jump out the window, get to the ledge, make a sidestep or two out onto the ledge, and then BAM... instant death from an arrow. There's absolutely no difference in how I play the section, when I have a successful run versus when I have an unsuccessful run. It feels random. 

And the few times I made it through this section, I got killed in the area where I have to retrieve a rope, because a maniac is suddenly in a different position than usual :'( 

Out of all my deaths 90% of them where by Nick/Laird. I always died right after you walk the log  and jump down. Always got shot in the animation right after jumping of the log. That area is the most incinsistent place in the game. I feel like it was always 50/50 if you would die or not.

donezo :pimp: now to shatter my ego by unveiling my stupidity:

Deaths

1. CH 4: during the chase after the school Computer Lab. Ran out of stamina due to route unfamiliarity.
  2. CH 1: Didn't take the time to line up a simple jump. (opted to keep sprint momentum)
  3. CH 1: running through 1st crop field; enemies were already alerted, presumably because I sprinted too far before taking stamina break.
  4. CH 2: after crucifixion, i crouch-walked into the sleeping enemy. he woke up & killed me.
  5. CH 2: N&L encounter #1. Instead of running straight past him and taking a non-lethal hit, I ran to the right of him into a wall; he shot me and THEN i ran past him (and the "non-lethal" hit killed me).

I'd also recommend using PersNikity's walkthrough with commentary if you'd like to see some more strategies.It's the guide I used when I beat insane mode on my 19th attempt.

I was quite unlucky in that Marta encounter with the wagon at one point(the video is down below).Eventually,I just kept practicing this shitty section on nightmare difficulty and got past it.

I did fail not once but twice in the final Marta section,amongst countless other stupid deaths.

So I obviously panicked when she found a shortcut and killed me when we're with Lynn.Then I realised that in order to get past her,you first have to wait for a split second then make a run for it.

Oh,the game is really,really frustrating but it's a test of patience and perseverance.You absolutely have to be calm in order to make it to the very end.

Edited by iamrb2212
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 8:54 PM, STARLOVE said:

All of this game is scripted and can be bypassed as such, you just need to be aware and keep your cool

I heard the exact opposite is true for the harder difficulties.

Was it patched to have more predictability?

If so then i'm in for the platinum.

?

Edited by AtomicAltruism
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, AtomicAltruism said:

I heard the exact opposite is true for the harder difficulties.

Was it patched to have more predictability?

If so then i'm in for the platinum.

1f601.png

When i got the plat just a few weeks after release i used alot of strats that speedrunner used. So there is 100% strats for almost every encounter. Only Nick & Laird encounters that have some RNG, since you might get hit or not and if you get hit you might get one shot or you might not. You still have to practice each section to get the 100% strats. Enemies always spawn in the same position iirc so it is easy to memorize each encounter. Only a few encounters require stamina management the others are just short enough that you can sprint the entire time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

When i got the plat just a few weeks after release i used alot of strats that speedrunner used. So there is 100% strats for almost every encounter. Only Nick & Laird encounters that have some RNG, since you might get hit or not and if you get hit you might get one shot or you might not. You still have to practice each section to get the 100% strats. Enemies always spawn in the same position iirc so it is easy to memorize each encounter. Only a few encounters require stamina management the others are just short enough that you can sprint the entire time.

Sweet! I got the 100% in the first game on my other profile and really wanted to give this one a go.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

only took the "Insane trophies", the attempts took about 20-30, still adrenaline in the blood, I want to say that today things are like this:
1) Besides memorizing the game inside out, one battery is enough to cheer, but I started using it only with the moment in the pool.
2) I do not know that they are patches there, but bugs are present (maybe I'm so lucky), but there were a lot of bugs with the raft, when the square button does not respond, I want to say that in addition to paragraph 1), I need to play myself graciously led.
3) Regarding the randomness: many people loudly say that it is not there, that we ourselves are the creators of the game itself, but in my opinion it is still present (here either random, or the very same thing on psyche).
Martha with the cart: here 70 is 30% good tactics with running around behind the house, but once again how it works, I tried the option with a hole in the fence, she killed me there 5 times out of 5 and I decided to change tactics, I will say honestly that incomprehensible teleporters are very killed, so there are bugs, she got 2 times stuck in a cart right before the jump, a vanshot.
Corn field (second visit): after passing the entire field incognito, running inside, closing the door on the lock - vanoshot. It turns out somehow the people were inside, I first thought that I had brutally held out this place, but no, I died there 3 times for sure.
Nick and Laird: the location is just mraaaaaaaaaak, in addition to this tough (random) "Cupid couple", these syphilitics can fuck up all your plans. When we run for the rope, once the syphilitic has summoned all of whom it is possible - vanshot. About Nick and Laird generally keep quiet, I dead 99% because of them, not counting the bugs, Martha and falling into the abyss. The most difficult place for me was when I needed a timed jump through the window, looking at a bunch of vidos I was still thrown down because after closing the 2nd lock and jumping out the window, they knocked the doors on the moment, it was very difficult to quickly adapt and not miss the mark. I changed my tactics a bit, maybe someone will help: how we get into the hut on the way through the canyon, they instantly rush around the house, close the first lock, and jump back out onto the street from where they jumped and watch them from around the corner of the house if they are a little go into the distance, jump back, close the 2nd latch, and look out for them through the window on the way to the exit. Most importantly, they should not notice us, and see that the "Cupid does not have an arrow stretched", otherwise - a vanshot!
Escape from the heretics: there were no problems at all, after the jump it was generally on foot, the rest sat in front of the elevator in the attic beams, and just watched. It's easier to work out the tactics in a nightmare and everything will be Coca-Cola)))
Val: there were also no problems, the only caveat is when the last chase, when you crawl into the caves - remove the camera, otherwise Blake is dumb and sits on the spot, maybe because of this, grab for ... opu))) Exactly the same system as and with heretics - a dress rehearsal in a nightmare)))
Why am I writing all this, to the fact that there are bugs, there may be, random, perhaps, a patch, the last, good luck, welcome, different behavior of the mob is!))) The game is extremely complicated, all factors are against you!) I wish you Good luck to the Lord, it took me 5 days to this madness!)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck this game man, I always die when I reach nick and laird chase with a fucking dumb arrow, and there’s a time I died by cactus ?

and when i finally managed to reach almost the end they were fixing the electricity in the building so the power went off. Ahhhhhh I wanna kill my self, but I’ll have to keep trying

the hardest parts in the game IMO are nick and laird and the library, and u need to save like 45% or more of the battery just for the mines

Edited by Atoya_
Typo

On 31/07/2019 at 6:13 PM, Atoya_ said:

Fuck this game man, I always die when I reach nick and laird chase with a fucking dumb arrow, and there’s a time I died by cactus 1f335.png

and when i finally managed to reach almost the end they were fixing the electricity in the building so the power went off. Ahhhhhh I wanna kill my self, but I’ll have to keep trying

the hardest parts in the game IMO are nick and laird and the library, and u need to save like 45% or more of the battery just for the mines

Definitely agree with the frustrating bit.I've died so many times during those Nick and Laird sections,it's no joke.Some battery can be used in the tricky school library and then,in the Heretic chase (just before the mines).

If you've almost reached the end,then you're almost there.Aside from the encounter with Val underground,I'd highly recommend you to save atleast 10% battery for the final chase scene with the cult and of course,Marta.Dying near the very end truly sucks. I'd suggest you also watch PersNikity's walkthrough for the Marta bit since she can find a shortcut and end your insane playthrough (the mistake I did before finally getting the platinum).

Edited by iamrb2212

On 31/7/2019 at 2:43 PM, Atoya_ said:

Fuck this game man, I always die when I reach nick and laird chase with a fucking dumb arrow, and there’s a time I died by cactus 1f335.png

I know your frustration. ? I managed after 16 attempts (in 10 months...), so I can give you some suggestions.

About Nick & Laird, if you're talking about the section after the first demon chase in the school (when you find youself inside the wardrobe), usually you should reach the house with the doors (I skip all the details about reaching this house), lock both doors and crouch under the opened window (don't let them see you!). And wait (if you want use the microphone to detect Nick & Laird). When Nick & Laird knock down the door jump over the window and sprint towards the exit. In this way they shouldn't see you and you are safe, but if you hear some phrase like "Rest my Lord!" they could hit you!

Next section: walk on the log and, as soon as you see the fire arrow, start sprinting and reach the other side (if you don't sprint you won't manage to take shelter behind the rock). And now lure Nick & Laird in order to make them shoot the arrow behind your rock, sprint to the next rock, and repeat this process also for the second "hide and seek" section.

And if you're talking about the final chase in "The last supper", well, there's a little bit of RNG. Make sure no one sees you while you reach the upper side with the log, walk down, take the rope and start sprinting to the right, using the houses to protect you against the arrows. And you should be fine.

About the library chase, there's a map of the library:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/854969953757045252/792E2C03FA26BB2C20165163B2AF2A320651F7A5/?imw=921&imh=1024&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

And remember that there's a battery on the table near the exit which shines in the dark (and you can see it through the books): it's the hint you're following the right direction in the dark. You can apply the same strategy when you have to cut off the electricity in the mines, since the switches shines in the dark and they could help you to save the battery (also, don't break the only light source in the corridor, crouch under it and when you reach the turn, walk backward until you see the shining switch on your left).

The mines are the worst part (according to me). It seems that the last patch removed some chases (some heretics in the 4th chapter, the final demon chase in the bathrooms, and the heretics when you sprint to reach the elevator), but in the mines I found a lot of bugs, and one killed me. In my 15th attempt I got stucked in the first tunnel during last Val's chase (and I couldn't move anywhere), and in the next one I got stuck by the lamp on the ceiling (before falling down in the water cave). I don't know if it happened only to me. Surely you need the battery in this chapter, and a little bit in the final chase when you leave the mines (it's short, but it's easy get stucked by anything. Remember there's a sharp right turn and avoid the dead end before the exit! And don't get stuck by the metal slip!).

As @iamrb2212 said, be careful with the last Martha's chase. As soon as the chase begins DON'T SPRINT! Walk, reach the end of the room and look behind you. If you see Martha following you, then you can sprint until the end of the chase.

I know it's a very difficult game, long (usually it takes 2 h and 40 minutes), unskippable cutscenes (theese are the worst part, because the first chapter seems endless), pitch black which doesn't help you. And a single mistake is game over, since, if you take a hit during a chase, you start bleeding, you start slowing down and it's game over. Actually I don't like the bandages in this game because they are useless on higher difficulties (you can't heal during the chase, but only after it, if you manage to reach the end...) and the "life bar" of the first game was better (you take a hit, your vision blurs but you still can have a chance to survive and escape).

Saving the battery is not really difficult if you know every section of the game. I ended it with 3 bars left (and I used it entirely during the last chase in the mines), but if you see you're struggling too much, take a break of a week and then come back to Outlast II (actually I took breaks of months, but I saw every time better results) ?. There are a lot of video guides on Youtube, but if you want more written suggestions I'm here! ?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Trying to get this plat, no success so far and not sure if this is even worth attempting. The most deaths I get are thanks to Alchemist...I mean Nick and Laird, sharpshooting my ass in total darkness with a precision that would make any modern sniper jealous, and Marta killing me at the cart encounter, sometimes I also die to enemies being in places they shouldn't be. I have not yet died to the pedo so far because I never even made it past Nick and Laird, but I imagine the library maze encounter to be a very promising source of frustrating deaths. Other problematic chases are probably the 3 tight encounters with the crawling abyss spastics, the blocked corridor in the mine and especially the Val encounter in the mine that even gave me trouble on normal. Hiding does not even seem to do anything on higher difficulties, as if the enemies are programmed to know where you are anyway and circle around that location until they find you.

What makes this so soul crushing is just the duration of a single attempt and the randomness, Outlast 1 was short and predictable, you learned the enemies patterns and you were good to go. Here there are too many enemies, their positions too random, one hit almost always means certain death, can't see shit due to being limited to 0,75 of a battery, sometimes its hard to find the small areas you instantly have to run to especially with almost no vision and the arrow shots seem to be entirely depending on luck, of which I had none so far. Even the boring cutscenes can't be skipped, can do something else each time I have to sit through the helicopter opening or the church interrogation.

What makes things worse is that most guides are for old versions, teaching you strategies that will get you killed if you do them, having vastly different enemy positions and behavior, but even the more recent ones seem to not really enable me to predict enemies entirely. I hate ironman runs with a passion, but this one might be the worst I have ever seen thanks to the aforementioned added headaches. If I ever make it past Nick and Laird, the crawling spastics or the mines are pretty sure to ruin me when I am nervous, and that is not even factoring in the chance of dying during one of these shitty jumps.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nighcisama said:

Trying to get this plat, no success so far and not sure if this is even worth attempting. The most deaths I get are thanks to Alchemist...I mean Nick and Laird, sharpshooting my ass in total darkness with a precision that would make any modern sniper jealous

Yup, absolutely hate Nick & Laird. The area where you have to sneak away from them on a fallen tree across a canyon, seems too random. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and I always do the same thing. By that point, you'll always have invested between 1 and 1,5 hours in the game, only to fail - and that's just horrible. I still want to do it, as the game isn't too bad beyond chapter 2. I'm fearing the part in the mines where we have to lure two enemies away from the main corridor though. The strategy for that seems a little fickle, but I've gotten it to work somewhat consistently on Nightmare tryouts. 

16 minutes ago, Maahniac said:

Yup, absolutely hate Nick & Laird. The area where you have to sneak away from them on a fallen tree across a canyon, seems too random. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and I always do the same thing. By that point, you'll always have invested between 1 and 1,5 hours in the game, only to fail - and that's just horrible. I still want to do it, as the game isn't too bad beyond chapter 2. I'm fearing the part in the mines where we have to lure two enemies away from the main corridor though. The strategy for that seems a little fickle, but I've gotten it to work somewhat consistently on Nightmare tryouts. 

The worst part for me will probably be the mines, which is really shit because it is pretty much the last part in the game. I really hate these fucking developers for their crap addition of not reloading the camera, like is the no death condition not bad enough already in your 2,5 hour long chasing simulator with almost no margin for error, too many enemies and random arrows killing you out of the left field? There is probably not enough night vision time for me to make it through the mines, as the ugly duo takes some away, some of the chases just have too much shit I can get caught on, some I really need for the school sections (especially the library) so there would not be enough left for the mines anyway, because oh boy do I need a lot of night vision for the mines. My sense of direction is pretty bad as it is, already gave me some trouble in the first game, but it is atrocious in total darkness so I can't do these stunts some people do in their videos like getting through 3-4 turns in total darkness. If it were just reduced battery usage like in the first Outlast I wouldn't nearly be as pessimistic about it, because managing your battery usage properly gave you all the night vision you needed for the crucial dark areas.

Another part aside from Nick and Laird that seems kinda random are the crawling abyss spastics, like sometimes I make it through the extra long elevator chase scene when I practice it, but sometimes I am just too slow with the depleted stamina pool. Couldn't really figure out so far why it does not work occasionally, and that part is very deep into the game so dying there would really suck.

So after a few chapter practices I decided to do a full practice run on Nightmare difficulty today under low battery usage rules and practice any parts I die in on my way to the credits. To my surprise neither Marta nor Nick&Laird got my ass, made it through all their encounters without a death. Marta cart is not 100% with my method, but pretty safe so I see no reason to improve here. Nick&Laird is a bit more complex admittedly. First encounter is impossible to do 100%, as sometimes they just see you even while in cover and kill you even though it worked fine the 3 times before, or they shoot you in the ass while you run. The forest chase is mostly safe, but sometimes I choke and run into wire, or get killed at the window by an instant arrow, or even shot despite being already on the ledge. The bridge part is pretty safe with the cover method I have been practicing, I can make it through almost every time, and the last encounter is pretty safe too. All in all impossible to guarentee success, but it is definitely realistic to make it through, so this part is no longer a deal breaker for me.

Made it without deaths all the way to the next to last crawling spastic chase near the end of chapter 4 in which I died because Blake randomly stopped crawling for a single second. Generally there were a lot of bugs this run, but this is the only one that screwed me over, some even helped me a lot.

The bane of my existence was, as I feared, the shitty mine section, for several reasons. One is a severe lack of battery by the time I make it to the mine, and I want to put an emphasis on how much of an absolute asshole of a developer you have to be to not only tie the 1 battery run to the highest difficulty permadeath run in your 2-3 hour one hit kill chase simulator with random elements and over half an hour worth of unskippable cutscenes the player has to sit through each time, but to also REDUCE that one crappy battery by a more than a THIRD as a "reward" for making it halfway through chapter 2.

A battery has around 180 seconds worth of night vision in total divided among 20 lines, so each line has 9 seconds worth of night vision, and these two clowns Nick&Laird take SEVEN of your lines away after the first cutscene with them, leaving you only with 117 seconds worth of night vision for the rest of chapter 2, and the chapters 3-6, and that is not even factoring in that the last few lines have vastly reduced effects which could easily cost you your life in the mine chases that basically have next to zero margin for error. Since I have programming experience I got curious and tested it out to see if these fuckers did the laziest possible thing to achieve that effect by just putting in a piece of code that set the value of the battery inside your camcorder to being always 13 lines after getting it back in chapter 2, and they actually did that half assed method, meaning you can basically spam your nightvision all through chapter 1 and some of chapter 2 and then Nick&Laird casually fill it back up to 13 lines for you. Maybe that helps someone struggling because he tries to conserve too much battery in chapter 1 and early chapter 2. I personally have needed almost no vision for that, so for me it is a big fuck you from the devs, screwing me out of more than a third of the night vision I desperately need for the late parts of the game. Abusing this for chapter 1 and 2 should not stop the achievement from triggering because the only way to invalidate your run is by pressing the reload button, not by technically consuming more than 20 power lines. Nightvision is still extremely limited, well we will see, or not in this case.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 1

Sounds like a game I should avoid. Oh well.

I may pick up the first Outlast though. I know James Rolfe (Angry Video Game Nerd) and Mike Matei did a YouTube episode of this game and I felt it was pretty good with what it has. Too bad there's DLC so I will have to pay for it twice to get the complete edition.

I recommend Outlast Trinity, that bundle contains Outlast 1, Outlast Whistleblower DLC and Outlast 2 for a pretty cheap price, otherwise wait for a sale. Honestly if you aren't going for the platinum this game isn't bad, it has good horror elements, the story is interesting enough if you take the time and read through the documents and it actually is fun if you are into this kind of game and play it on a lower difficulty where some of the crappy enemy design is not too much of an issue and you have enough nightvision to actually see shit. The platinum is a miserable experience though.

Done with practicing, some things just won't ever be possible to do reliably so I have to depend on my luck a bit.

Possible sources of death:

Marta cart if she double backs too quickly or spawns too close to me when I push the cart, basically insta killing me. Does not happen often and its only like 50 minutes into the game with only easy encounters up to that, not too bad.

Nick&Laird. First encounter is a game of russian roulette, sometimes they see and kill you with 0% survival chance no matter where you go, sometimes they don't really see you and go into a different area, allowing you to make it. Second one is the easiest for me, though it is possible to die despite being on the ledge, running to cover is very reliable, haven't died there in forever, just waiting for the sound of an arrow hitting or carefully peeking to bait it out. Last encounter is total luck because sometimes there is this redneck piece of shit standing near the rope you have to pick up before Nick&Laird spawn and if that happens he will hit or block you after picking up the rope, slowing you down enough to get oneshot by an arrow. I have no idea why he is sometimes there and sometimes not, seems entirely random and with no way to make it through then, as trying to kite him around the village would just attract even more enemies. First encounter about 70 minutes in, last one about 90, this is where dying is beginning to hurt.

Crawling spastics. First encounter is fine despite being bad for my heart, second one mostly too, third one is the shortest but can randomly kill me on occasion for seemingly no reason and the last one is very tight in terms of timing to the point of enemies swiping at me. Not too much of a risk to die here but we are talking 2 hours deep into the run, that would suck.

The mines. Still my worst area, I thankfully have the corridor encounter down somewhat consistently but occasionally it just becomes entirely impossible, enemy catching up to me and one shotting me from behind despite me sprinting full force, or they cornering me in the crevice every third or fourth time making escaping impossible. First two Val encounters are safe now, by now I can actually make it through the entire mine up to the third Val encounter with just using 2 lines of battery (a little hint to my boy Wernicke, practicing that sucked so much balls that the english language would just be insufficient to even describe it), a great improvement for me, though the next parts despite being pretty much safe still need a good amount of juice. Corridor encounter keeps being the biggest threat to a run, being two and a half hours deep into the game, so lets just say the fact that the latest Outlast 2 patch to come out made this exact encounter much more difficult by adding another enemy is something I take personally.

I will do occasional attempts at this, depending on how these attempts go and my general motivation I may do them regularly, or take a bit of a break between each attempt. I know for sure though that if there is an Outlast 3 and it has this exact combination of trophies in a single permadeath run again, I will most likely not buy it unless it is shorter than this one here.

• Like 1

Wanted to get it out of the way quick, failed, here is my current status.

1. Marta walking straight over and killing me near the butcher encounter while I was hiding in the grass, never did that before even when I crouched, probably bugged encounter, has not done it since.

2. Nick&Laird first encounter, followed me into the hiding tend and killed me, impossible to pass, happens occasionally in this encounter, bad luck.

3. Nick&Laird first encounter, followed me into the furthest hiding spot because he knew where I was despite me laying down in high grass, sniped me with an arrow from far away, bad luck.

4. Died to the jump in the heretic temple for the first time ever, jumped normally but he refused to grab the ledge like he did all the other times before, starting to think insane is not the same as nightmare difficulty at all and was made intentionally worse to complete, either a bug or really bad luck.

5. Marta cart encounter, got too greedy and moved the cart for too long after triggering her so I did not make it around the cart to kite her in time. Fuck up on my part, this encounter always has me really nervous on insane due to Martas sometimes rather close spawn location to you.

6. Got spotted hiding under a cart before the generator part, never happened to me before and not sure what triggered it, probably bad luck.

7. Stopped pushing the obstacle too soon during chapter 1 with the guy busting through the door because I was a bit nervous, ended up killing me because fatass Blake who can normally fit into any crack somehow can't make it through there if you stop pushing half a second too early.

8. Nick&Laird second encounter, fucking cover system has failed me for the first time because Nick&Laird do NOT behave the same as in nightmare. In nightmare difficulty you can easily bait the arrows and just run the second you hear the arrow hit your cover, basically impossible to fuck up, here the guy refused to shoot at me even when I was out of cover for a full second, waited and tried several times but nothing happened, guessed he was bugging out so just made a run for it, got sniped and oneshot.

This is looking like absolute shit, except the first Nick&Laird encounter that is somewhat down to luck I can do all these things easily on nightmare difficulty, yet here I fail 6 times to things that almost gave me no problems on the other setting. I haven't even once reached the parts I am actually struggling with, these come over an hour later and that is the time I actually get nervous and have a worse performance. I know for a fact now that the difficulties are not the same, enemies clearly behave differently, Marta during the cart section has changed her direction entirely, instead of going around the long way when she loses track of you she goes the path you can see from the hole in the fence and despawns after 2-3 seconds, she NEVER did that on nightmare in all my practices, and that was the encounter I practiced the most aside from the mines, gotta see how long I can bother attempting this before throwing in the towel, the unskippable cutscenes are frying my brain already.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Nighcisama said:

Wanted to get it out of the way quick, failed miserably, here is my current status.

1. Marta walking straight over and killing me near the butcher encounter while I was hiding in the grass, never did that before even when I crouched, probably bugged encounter, has not done it since.

2. Nick&Laird first encounter, followed me into the hiding tend and killed me, impossible to pass, happens occasionally in this encounter, bad luck.

3. Nick&Laird first encounter, followed me into the furthest hiding spot because he knew where I was despite me laying down in high grass, sniped me with an arrow from far away, bad luck.

4. Died to the jump in the heretic temple for the first time ever, jumped normally but he refused to grab the ledge like he did all the other times before, starting to think insane is not the same as nightmare difficulty at all and was made intentionally worse to complete, either a bug or really bad luck.

5. Marta cart encounter, got too greedy and moved the cart for too long after triggering her so I did not make it around the cart to kite her in time. Fuck up on my part, this encounter always has me really nervous on insane due to Martas sometimes rather close spawn location to you.

6. Got spotted hiding under a cart before the generator part, never happened to me before and not sure what triggered it, probably bad luck.

7. Stopped pushing the obstacle too soon during chapter 1 with the guy busting through the door because I was a bit nervous, ended up killing me because fatass Blake who can normally fit into any crack somehow can't make it through there if you stop pushing half a second too early.

8. Nick&Laird second encounter, fucking cover system has failed me for the first time because Nick&Laird do NOT behave the same as in nightmare. In nightmare difficulty you can easily bait the arrows and just run the second you hear the arrow hit your cover, basically impossible to fuck up, here the guy refused to shoot at me even when I was out of cover for a full second, waited and tried several times but nothing happened, guessed he was bugging out so just made a run for it, got sniped and oneshot.

This is looking like absolute shit, except the first Nick&Laird encounter that is somewhat down to luck I can do all these things easily on nightmare difficulty, yet here I fail 6 times to things that almost gave me no problems on the other setting. I haven't even once reached the parts I am actually struggling with, these come over an hour later and that is the time I actually get nervous and have a worse performance. I know for a fact now that the difficulties are not the same, enemies clearly behave differently, Marta during the cart section has changed her direction entirely, instead of going around the long way when she loses track of you she goes the path you can see from the hole in the fence and despawns after 2-3 seconds, she NEVER did that on nightmare in all my practices, and that was the encounter I practiced the most aside from the mines.

I throw in the towel for now, maybe I go back to it in a day or two, maybe a week, maybe I will give up on it for good because I feel cheated and kinda get the feeling that I should stop doing this shit to myself, maybe playing a game that is fun to complete for a change, not this utter bullshit. So many practices and nothing to show for it, practicing on nightmare is nearly useless on insane difficulty, at least as much as I can tell.

I know the feeling.Nick and Laird's second encounter was where I failed NUMEROUS times.That part is honestly down to luck.

I started practicing the game around September 2018 and earned the platinum near end of October of the same year.There were times when I even died in the FINAL encounter with Marta OR that corridor part in the mines with enemies blocking your path.I know I was initially panicking like hell in my 19th attempt(when I went on to beat insane mode),but then I remembered something:Panic lead to failure each time and I was sick of sitting through the unskippable cutscenes,the cultists,Marta and most of all,Nick and Laird.But hear me out:Practicing certain troublesome sections can be very helpful! Conserve your camcorder battery well for the mines,try to be calm and patient (even in the nerve wracking situations) and you will succeed.

Edited by iamrb2212
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, iamrb2212 said:

I know the feeling.Nick and Laird's second encounter was where I failed NUMEROUS times.That part is honestly down to luck.

I started this game around September 2018 and earned the platinum near end of October of the same year.There were times when I even died in the FINAL encounter with Marta OR that corridor part in the mines with enemies blocking your path.I know I was initially panicking like hell in my 19th attempt(when I went on to beat insane mode),but then I remembered something:Panic lead to failure each time and I was sick of sitting through the unskippable cutscenes,the cultists,Marta and most of all,Nick and Laird.But hear me out:Practicing certain troublesome sections can be very helpful! Conserve your camcorder battery well for the mines,try to be calm and patient (even in the nerve wracking situations) and you will succeed.

The thing is, I just now went right to chapter select and tried that second encounter. I managed the arrow dodging THREE TIMES in a row, easily, because as I said my method is basically foolproof on nightmare, I never got killed by that part of the section no matter how often I did it in practice with my method, I could probably pass it 50 times in a row on nightmare, yet insane somehow kills me the very first time I get there because Laird refuses to do what he always does on nightmare, firing arrows when baited. Something does not add up is what I am saying, I have the feeling practicing on nightmare is a waste of time if characters like Marta or Nick&Laird can behave so differently in the actual insane run, unlike they behaved in any practice run, how are you supposed to be prepared for it except getting there legit several times in insane and trial&error your way through? I could end up with 30+ attempts at this at the current rate.

Battery is not even a problem anymore, I figured out that you can use it freely until you get crucified because it gets filled back up to around two thirds ny Laird, by now I don't really need any before the few seconds for the demon encounter in the pool, then a very small amount for the abyss chases, only about 3-4 seconds for the library since I figured out that I have unlimited time to find the demon in there (and can even see him glowing in the dark while he comes for me), so I basically could freely use my battery for the mine corridor, the 5 seconds I need for Val, the 10-15 seconds for the crawl and then theres plenty left for the last run out of the mine. I just don't have the chance to even get there thanks to me mostly dying to things I should not be dying to, and that is with me being pretty chill about it (aside from Marta, thats a workout for the heart but she only got me once so far), can't really factor in how my nerves will affect me if i ever were to reach the mines, because I know from other games with ironman run that i do have a tendency to choke near the end of a goal.

I am honest, I don't like this game anymore, it overstayed its welcome by a lot because it made me practice doing most sections in total darkness, and now it feels like that time was pretty much wasted. There is no video to follow exactly either, because what they do legit gets me killed often even in practice, sometimes because the patch changed things or because their characters did something different. I will not do a serious ironman attempt for now, but if I most likely return to it within the next few days I set myself a limit of how many attempts I will endure, and if I don't even get to chapter 4 at the very least, I will mark it off as a waste of time and give it up. Whoever gave this game a 7/10 difficulty in the guide is a moron though.

• Like 1