Why does it seem PSVR doesn't like my new TV?

Dreakon13

I got a new 4K HDR-enabled Samsung television on Black Friday and I tried hooking the PSVR up and I can't seem to get the video/audio to feed to the TV through the processor unit.  Both HDMI cables work fine if fed from the PS4 Slim to the TV directly.  I did manage to get it working briefly yesterday somehow (just messing with the HDMI plugs and turning the HDR settings on and off).

The results were so spotty that it's hard to tell exactly what worked and what didn't as I could never seem to get things to work the same way twice in a row, but I'm inclined to think it doesn't like when I have HDR enabled on the PS4... but I got this in the recent Skyrim VR bundle which by all accounts is the later hardware revision that is supposed to be HDR compatible.

I'm already kinda on the fence with keeping the PSVR since I haven't been using it much, not being able to use it on my fancy new TV may just be the straw that broke the camels back, so to speak. ?  Though I have a few games I'd still like to try before bailing... and now is probably the time to do it, since my little office/game room doesn't really have proper seating yet anyways (VR is fun and even a little exercise if standing while using xD).

Any ideas?  Thanks gang.

Edited by Dreakon13

Surprised I haven't gotten a single reply. xD

It's very weird.  I turned off the HDR on the PS4 just to be safe.  But even so, one day it just doesn't seem to want to work at all.  The next day I can get it working sometimes.  Infact today I plugged everything in and it didn't work... then I unplugged the HDMI cable from the processing unit going to the PS4, waited like 10 seconds, plugged it back in, then all of a sudden it worked.  On the headset itself, and feeding the video/audio to the TV screen.

The absolute weirdest thing is that the internet cuts out when I have the PSVR connected... sometimes.  Like right now it said "cannot connect to network" when I booted the PS4 up, but it's clearly working since I can see friends online and I'm downloading updates.  If I go to test the connection though, it'll fail.  Other times the internet wasn't working entirely.  It works every time without the PSVR connected.  So bizarre.

Kinda sad that I can't use HDR despite having the latest hardware revisions of the PSVR that's supposed to allow for it... but I'll give it a pass since I'm going through an HDMI switch that does support 4K and HDR and works with the PS4+HDR without PSVR, but maybe PSVR specifically just doesn't like my HDMI switch+HDR for some reason.

Since it's working right now, I'm going to leave it alone and cross my fingers that it'll work consistently.  I'm not holding my breath though.

Edited by Dreakon13

Appreciate the input everyone. Pretty sure I have the PSVR model that supports HDR. I can check the specific model info at some point but it was the Skyrim VR bundle.

I played Moss for a bit, then turned the PS4 off and back on... video wouldn't feed to the TV again. So I simply unplugged the cable from the "HDMI PS4" port from the back of the processing unit, waited a second and plugged it back in... didn't work. Unplugged and plugged it back in once more for funsies... and it worked.

I dunno what to make if it at this point. Can't help but feel the one HDMI port on the back of the processing unit may be defective. Just odd that it only seemed to become a problem when this new TV entered the mix.

Edited by Dreakon13

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Deaths_Trooper said:

Just for info:

left is version 1

right is version 2.

notice how version 2 has attached earphones. Version 1 does not.

Thanks, I definitely have version 2. :)

I'm sending the HDMI cable from the processing unit directly to the HDMI plug on the television instead of using the HDMI switch... and it seems to be working consistently now.  It's odd because it worked through the HDMI switch just fine on the old TV.  Some combination of the HDMI switch and the new televisions HDR capabilities are probably causing it... but it's working so w/e.  It is what it is.  Just stinks that I can't use the PS4 alongside the convenience of my HDMI switch.  But it did open up a port on it for the PS3, so silver linings.

• 2 months later...

Have you troubleshooted the setting on your TV?

Maybe the TV isn't seeing the system because of it's settings. I know when I hooked all of my systems up to my 4K TV certain ones needed to go on specific ports and the settings needed to be set a specific way 

Edited by AmarisSkye