What Does Everyone Here Think About Used Games ?

xVolloxx

143 members have voted

1. 1. What Is Your Opinion About Used Games ?

• Block Used Games
    • Don't Block Used Games
    • Make Everything Digital
    • Other
  2. 2. What Do You Prefer ?

(Edited please Re submit modified vote)

What is everyone's opinion here on used games ? 

About blocking them ?

About not blocking them ?

About gamestop ?

About retailers ?

About digital distribution ?

About Publishers ? 

Etc ........ 

Everyone has their own opinion and i'd like to hear them 

I myself see all points of view and we are in a tricky situation with the video games market at the moment 

Here's a few videos that i highly recommend you watch all with different reasonable educated opinions :

- The Devil's Halibut - Used Games

- Re: The Devil's Halibut - Used Games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG4GGfY3S04

- The Devil's Halibut - Used Games (A Response to Totalbiscuit)

All opinions are greatly appreciated and please try to see all points of view and take everyone's opinion into consideration 

Also please take the time to submit your vote 

Thanks . 

Edited by TheBolloxx

Copy&paste from the other post.

Blocking used game is pretty wrong in my book. Buying used has been in the market for a very long time, the fact is if someone didn't buy it new it was ether it couldn't be found new OR it was better buying it cheaper used. I try to support the Devs as much as possible, sometimes I just can't because of short amount of money.

Also, I see no reason why people think Gamestop is evil. For one they don't make money from NEW games that's why they sell USE to keep their doors open. Yes, the trade in value isn't it worth depending on what you sell and the employes can get annoying, but that's their job trying to make a living these days. If you say YES to the low value for the game you sell, it isn't their fault if you found it unfair by saying "ok". I don't want to see Gamestop shut down for these silly reasons. I like getting my copy in the store instead of ordering it on the internet. 

No issues with digital games if they are cheap.

I usually always buy a game new. I feel this is the best way to support the developers, you know, people who do the real work. Buying a used game that is less than 6 months old feells....dirty to me. I think used games are great if I'm buying a game that is several years old, or a previous generation title, but other than that, I don't like the feel.

I usually buy games new, since the new/used price is usually a $5 difference. 

I honestly don't mind having used games in stores AND being able to play them (durr) because sometimes games become INCREDIBLY rare (tales of graces f, hyperdimension neptunia, and many other games) and finding them used is the only option. 

Of course there are digital games if you can't find the game you want in a store, but why clog up your precious HDD space with a game that you can't even worship on a daily basis by putting it on your sexy shelf of glory?

So,

Used games: yes

Digital games: no

Well having only had a PS3 for 2 years I really don't see the point of buying older titles new when I can get them a lot cheaper used, and in some instances bundled to make them even cheaper.

Am I fan of EB Games? it's love/hate but I do shop there and I think they have a place in the industry based on the fact that not everyone can buy every cool game new. I buy new when I want a game. Other than that I can wait for price to drop and pick it up then, and not always used.

As it is, I am on pace to buy 8 "NEW" games this year on launch. All things considered, I would say that is significant enough. If I CHOOSE to try and save a few bucks here and there by buying used, that should be my choice.

I do understand where Devs are coming from and I do support by buying new games and DLC that I want, but for students, people new to the system why force feed them the option to only buy new. That would maybe take away from so many cool games/franchises that they would potentially miss out on because of the fact that they would have to select which games they can afford.

I prefer physical but being a PS+ member I have taken advantage of quite a few sales and free titles.

I rarely buy used games, only when the price is much lower than a new copy. 

I also prefer physical to digital because I think it's nice to have a collection that isn't digital and digital also takes too much HDD space.

But I really hope used games don't get blocked because I still borrow games sometimes...

Probably my two biggest issues with getting rid of used games is affordability and physical copies. My favorite thing about console gaming is that I can have purely physical copies. I don't have to worry about anything going wrong with my data or my account. I have complete control over my ability to continue playing my game. Getting rid of used games pretty much means you are forced into buying the game before the copies run out (which seems to be particularly common in my area with JRPGs) or you have to buy digitally. And then you have to keep that digital copy on your HDD or rely on the source of that digital copy's download never going down.

As for affordability, it's pretty obvious. Like TheTruthBToldShow said, I sell games that I'm absolutely never playing again. I don't want them taking up space, but I also want to use the money I get from them to lighten my newer purchases. Plus used games are just entirely more afforable. $5 or $10 less can be anywhere from a 17% to a 50% discount for games $30 and under, and that's before the discount I get for actually choosing a used product over a new one at my local Gamestop. I still buy the games that I really want when released, but I don't have the money to spend on buying every single game new. I seriously save hundreds of dollars every year through Gamestop. I may think their practices are a grossly favored for them, but I'd rather profit a little than be stuck without any profit at all.

I would be willing to stop buying games used for good if game prices would drop to at least $40, they were physical copies (w/o one-time use codes to play the actual game), and their availability didn't diminish. I do not imagine that ever happening for consoles, so I have to support the used game market.

I understand the need for publishers to want a cut of used game sales. They see nothing on used games unless they incorporate online passes. There are many people that wait several months to buy a game simply for the reduced price, cutting the publishers out all together. I think they should find a happy medium. Lower new games to 40$, which would make gamers ecstatic and help sell a lot more games new. Incorporate a code for the game, and sell new codes for those that buy used for around 10-15$. The problem is greedy publishers want to raise the price of new games, and probably incorporate a fee to unlock used games close to retail as well. Now if that's the plan, then I will lose all sympathy and understanding for publishers not getting their cut of used games.

I've got mixed feelings with this. Let me try to explain:

Used games are both a blessing and a curse to both the gamer and the developer/publisher. New and innovative games can only be realised by companies if they have sufficient funding, that funding comes from the sale of new games. knowing this we as gamers should buy our games new when and where we can. Thus giving the developers/publishers the means of creating new and exiting games. 

Then we have the flip side of the coin:

Are you as a gamer willing to pay around 60€ on something you might not like? Do you have the financial means to buy each and every game you like? This is where the used market comes in handy for both gamer and game company. We purchased each and every game we try of a new genre or developer secondhand. If we liked it the next game by that developer in the same genre will probabely be bought new or we wait for a discount given by a store. In this way I believe we continue our support of the industry while still taking advantage of the used market and it's lower prices. 

I like to think that, when used with care, the used games market can be a good way if not THE way for publishers and developers alike to draw new customers to their products. The problem now is that the stores, like Game Mania in Belgium, are the only ones making profit (and a lot of profit! sell a game to the store for 5€ and they price it 14,99€ on the shelves) in the used games market. I feel that there's a need for an international institute that monitors the used market and makes sure that the developers/publishers see their share of the profit. This can be done without lifting prices if they keep the part that goes to the developers/publishers rather low. The companies should try to look at it as some form of PR that actually still earns them a small profit instead of only costing them money. A nominal fee for unlocking any online features for used games should remain as it is now. I have no problem with the situation as it is now in that field.

Concerning the digital or physical:

Since storage of digital games will remain a problem for quite some years to come I believe that a 50/50 mix is the way to go. Things like the Plus subscription make up most of my digital collection with a few added games that were sold online with a serious discount. I'm not paying full retail price for a digital game. Paying full retail for me means getting a booklet, a nice cover-art on the box, ... 

I don't believe we will be making the change to pure digital for many years to come.

I don't buy used games, but I do sell games if I know I'll never play them again. I think it's wrong to put blocks on used games. When I pay full retail price, the game is mine. I can do with it whatever I choose. It's no longer property of the developers. They don't have a right to control what is no longer theirs.

As far as digital games, I mostly always get the disc unless there is a great deal. But that is rare, unless it's free from PS+. If developers want us to go more digital, they should give us some incentives to make the switch. A new digital game should not cost the same as a retail game at launch. Since there is no middle man to deal with, or packaging cost, the digital version should be cheaper.

Since it's impossible to sell a digital game to another player, I have an idea. What if there was an agreement that if a gamer deletes a game from their HDD, they get a small refund credited into their account? But are unable to download the game again. That's basically the same as selling a retail game, except no one else gets the "used" game. Give us a reason to go digital.

I don't what used games to be blocked since I play/trade game with my buddies. Well I think they are trying to block games so that devs can get all the money from a person. They will do this so that devs will make more games for their console, but that will be useless if no one buys their console/games in the first place. I have a collection of 40-50+  games, and about 60-80% of it was bought by me or my bros and the rest (20-40%) are given to us. And almost all of those games are bought brand new. As I remember only Dishonored and God of War 3 was pre-owned. I prefer physical over digital because:

A. To add to my game collection

B. My internet speed is pretty slow which means downloading a game means a waiting time of about 5-10 hours to play the game.

So that are my thoughts and I would like to know if I had mistakes about what I said but its just an opinion.

I wouldn't mind all digital or used blocks if publishers would promise all games would be $30 or less and that price breaks would be faster coming. Digital prices on PSN are ridiculous and even the sales they have most of the time are way too pathetic.

• Like 1

If they removed the ability to buy/play used I'd probably buy about 95% less games.  I buy games a lot of my games used nowdays because they aren't worth the new price to me...removing the ability to get them used will not suddenly make them worth the new price.  I'm not going to pay 60 dollars for a game that will effectively be worth 0 as soon as I open it, except in very rare occasions where I absolutely want the game.

If companies want more people to buy new, make games worth the new price.  Your dumb, generic shooter with a 5 hour campaign is not worth 60 dollars.  That's a problem with you, not the consumer.

i think used games should continue to exist, even though i dont buy used games, id like to have the option of borrowing games from friends like im doing now with the ps3. as far as im concerned, ea and activision have more than enough revenue. like 'aslimeappears' has mentioned games being released by large gaming industries tend to be short, unattractive and just not worth buying new....

i don't mind buying used games, some games out there are hard to find brand new on disc and they never been released digitally.  so i won't hesitate getting them if i found them selling used or a friend of mine got them, if they wanted to block used games forever then

1. make them a bit cheaper like $30 or $20 or $15 with everything is on it and no Disc Lock Content already on disc and stupid online pass.

2. release the new games as a physical and digital form at the same time and let the peoples chose what's suited them best, sure some may complaint if they don't have enough space etc. but with the second option where new physical games is cheaper then $60 then they might think and get the physical ones, well i can't afford new games every month that cost around $60 or $70 or $99 as i always wait for a price drop which luckily it's happen to me and i got some games brand new, but until that happen there's always an option where to see if there's a used copy somewhere or hoping to find them cheaper digitally.

well this is my opinion. 

• 4 weeks later...

while its true that used games are killing the market i have no problems with it. altho its annoying when its missing the original box art.

games arent like gasoline. you cant have the same price everywhere. most of the games i enjoy playing arent worth their price point new or used so i rent.

as for digital/physical?

i prefer digital but it'll be awhile before its the better choice. perhaps by the time the PS6 is out.

as it is now the only advantages digital have are being able to change games without getting up and never having to worry about it being out of stock.

with physical you can trade in games/accessories towards new ones, return it or if you really hated it you could break it in half. places like gamestop make it even better. like a while back they had a deal where you could trade in 5 games and get 20$ extra credit. it could have been really old games that combined would have gotten you 5 bucks and you'd still get 20 extra. 

so yeah physical is better and while i hope digital gets better i kinda hope it doesnt too.

i worry about the future being so technology driven. you know its only a matter of time before skynet comes into existence. 

I need used games!! poor gamer here!! can't afford those 60$ games!!! So I voted for everything digital!! but prefer everything physical!

I don't buy used games, but I borrow games from my mates when they are done with them, and that takes up half of my games. It is a scam to block used games- and people wouldn't buy the console, as for digital - no, also a scam, of there are no physical discs to sell or lend to a friend, then they have to buy full game. DON'T GET ME STARTED ON ONLINE PASSES/ CODES!!!

I only really buy a game new if it's in its first week of release. Other then that I normally buy used, mainly because they're easier to find and cheaper. Plus I can return them; with a new game, as soon as you take off the sealing you can't return it (at least not at Gamestop). 

I prefer to buy new, however, if the game is SP only and there is a large price difference, then I will buy used to save money.

That being said, I wish there was a way for the developer to profit from used game sales.

I am fully prepared to go completely digital providing there is a way to "trade-in" your digital games and them being about 75% of the current retail price.

When the market does go fully digital, any collectors editions need to be boxed as they are currently but with a redeemable code instead of the disc.